USAF News and Discussion

With materials science advances since the F-22 was originally manufactured and of course the F-35 brain and sensors, it would certainly be one mean machine. I think that it almost would be a 5+ generation aircraft. One thing that I believe that they should do is change the F-22 20 mm gun to the 25 mm gun of the F-35 and increase the ammo supply significantly. Or use a 30 mm gatling or revolver.
Your 5+ designation is perfection, I have been advocating for a 5+ F-22 upgrade for a number of years on our sister forum SDF, I would like to see the new very fuel efficient F-135 upgrades, and honestly I wouldn't worry about OVT.... the Japanese are obviously very interested as well due to their threat factors increasing, and wishing for something decisive to turn away adversaries...

Interesting link, the F-22 and the F-35 are both extremly L/O as far as shaping and of course enhanced by coatings. It is a singularly effective advantage in air combat.

FORBIN

The USAF has awarded LM a contract for the JASSM-XR. New variant of the JASSM-ER with an expected range of 1000 Miles.

Significant improvement , still with the same warhead

US Air Force awards Lockheed Martin USD51 million contract for JASSM-XR work | Jane's 360
2.3 t vs 1 for AGM-158 two times more big range a little superior 1900 km than Tomahawk Block IV 1700 km and more accurate 3 m vs 7 and warhead two times more powerful !
US Air Force Moving Forward with Lockheed's JASSM-XR missile development

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

FORBIN

Yes read that. Will be quite an interesting and capable weapon, but there are Tomahawk variants that exceed 2,000 km in range and have nuclear warheads, just to put matters into perspective.
Yes but Tomahawk nuclear variant get retired since many years and all nuclears warheads are more small than conventionnal so allow more fuel and nuclears missiles have a superior range
To 910 kg explosive it is almost same than AGM-86C around 1 ton ! 1200 km the more powerful LACM in service all others max 450 - 500 kg

Ranger25

Staff member
Yes but Tomahawk nuclear variant get retired since many years and all nuclears warheads are more small than conventionnal so allow more fuel and nuclears missiles have a superior range
To 910 kg explosive it is almost same than AGM-86C around 1 ton ! 1200 km the more powerful LACM in service all others max 450 - 500 kg

I think another large benefit of the JASSM platform is the multiple aircraft capable of deploying it.

Although the B-1 was initially the only aircraft able to deploy it, it was later integrated onto the B-52, F-15E, and F-16;[30] the B-1B can carry a full load of 24 JASSM-ERs, the B-2 16 missiles,[31][32] and the B-52 outfitted with the 1760 Internal Weapons Bay Upgrade (IWBU) is able to carry 20 JASSM-ERs, eight internally and 12 on external pylons.[33][34][35]

Sounds like it will be integrated into the F35 after 2020. IMO that would offer some solid long range standoff capability

swerve

Super Moderator
A missile of over twice the weight of the original JASSM is something rather different. I expect it would need to be integrated anew on each platform. And does everything able to carry the JASSM have hardpoints for 2300 kg missiles?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
US Air Force awards $9B contract to Boeing for next training jet

T-X being awarded to Boeing-Saab. Know that's interesting..instead goes to LockMart, Boeing with completely new design that has not operational got the deal.
Perhaps balancing defense order ?
Maybe, but who knows. There'll be a protest though and that's the second contract in as many days in Boeing's favour with them winning the USAF UH-1N replacement contract as well and that's worth US$2.38 billion. So that's two losses to Boeing that Lockheed will be smarting over, especially as the Blackhawk was picked to be the front runner. That's now two protests in the running to keep the lawyers busy.

Boeing wins UH-1N replacement contract from USAF

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Boeing I think enter on aggressive pricing bid..this is new clean sheet plane..while the other two contender (KAI and Leonardo) already have established LIFT market..
Hope Boeing can prove to handle development price better since KC-46 is already over budget. Thus LockMart does not have monopoly on the over budget issue.

Still this win mean will open new contender on LIFT market and more importantly in my opinion, the light fighter markets.
Upgraded LIFT as light fighter more and more will be the stapple for most third world or even smaller industrial nations, due to high price on current and future front line fighter.

the concerned

I suppose they want Lockheed to concentrate on bringing the F-35 on line rather than be distracted by another product. Boeing on the other hand would be out of the fast jet business in the next 5yrs give or take a few top up orders

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
US Air Force awards $9B contract to Boeing for next training jet

T-X being awarded to Boeing-Saab. Now that's interesting..instead goes to LockMart, Boeing with completely new design that has not operational got the deal.
Perhaps balancing defense order ?
The only one of the three contenders with afterburning engines which were specified in the original requirement. An acquaintance of mine who is a RN FAA pilot (with much experience flying with RAF as well) says that training new pilots to handle engines with reheat with simulation alone is NOT all that it could be and agrees with the decision

oldsig

Ananda

The Bunker Group
I believe there are two contenders with afterburning engine. Both using GE 404, This Boeing-SAAB, and LockMart-KAI T-50 based.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still this win mean will open new contender on LIFT market and more importantly in my opinion, the light fighter markets.
Upgraded LIFT as light fighter more and more will be the stapple for most third world or even smaller industrial nations, due to high price on current and future front line fighter.
The FA-50 has with the development work by LM viz DART on the proposed USAF T-50A has the bones for being a great lightweight strike aircraft.

The FA-50's potential at KAI was always restricted by LM's requirement that it could not exceed the performance of the RoKAF's KF-16 and current in production F-16's. With the KF-16's being upgraded to Block 70 standard it does allow the dial to be moved considerably on the FA-50. The fitting of the F414 is now a possibility, as also the introduction of an AESA radar, both of which KAI at least have long had a Block II development pathway for the FA-50. DART helped increase the relatively short legs of the FA-50 to being fairly reasonable. A refuelling probe would be an attractive development as well.

LM-KAI hopefully will dust themselves off following missing out on the T-X program and further develop the FA-50 beyond its LIFT centric role as it has the potential of being a modern take of what the A-4 and F-5 were - cheap to buy and operate, robust and highly capable 2nd tier strike aircraft. In my opinion there is a marketplace for a sub $40m AESA equipped strike aircraft - it is just up to LM-KAI to go for it and in may cases the hard work has already been done.

swerve

Super Moderator
I recall a proper single seat variant of the FA-50 (F-50, IIRC) being mooted, but shelved. Not sure if that was because of the LM contract issue, but the fitting of an AESA radar was canned because LM objected. It was shown with a Vixen 500E radar beside it on the stand at an airshow several years ago, & I think the possibility of a Vixen with a larger array (Selex/Leonardo has offered a few variants) in the fighter model was suggested, but LM wouldn't allow it. But as you say, the upgrade of the F-16s raises the bar LM is trying to keep the F/FA/T-50 below.