Usa

Status
Not open for further replies.

colay1

Finally, a decision that makes sense. Bannon should never have been at the NSC table.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...rom-national-security-council-role-in-shakeup
A positive development. Bottom line though is POTUS can have the most brilliant staff but if their advise doesn't suit his preconceptions and bias then it may not really matter. For example, let's see the NSC try and convince Trump that Climate Change is real and is a national security concern.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Well Trump made one good decision and then goes on to defend Bill O'Reilly regarding the latter's sexual harassment allegations. Talk about throwing rocks in a glass house. He needs STFU lessons big time!

Last edited:

colay1

A coup for MacMaster, Mattis and their circle. After MacMaster was rebuffed in his attempt fire Flynn's right hand man in the NSC who was supported by Bannon, IMO they decided it was time to get him out of the NSC. Key to this was getting the support of Jared Kushner and so Gen. Dunford invited Jared to join him in Iraq. From Kushner's perspective, the experienced Dunford is a key player in executing his mandate as Trump's front man for Iraq.I'm guessing both men bonded and ensured that in the showdown with MacMaster Bannon would be isolated.

Sakharov

I wonder if Trump's military advisers also had him watch video of the aftermath of the nerve gas attacks. Trump is no longer an armchair Commander in Chief blasting Obama on twitter. He's watching video of children gasping their last breaths and he can actually do something about it.

I think Trump is a person of remarkably low character, a petty and malicious man, but I doubt even he can watch children suffocate and feel nothing.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
evolving

US has apparently launched 50+ cruise missile strikes against airbases in Syria (near Homs in province of Idlib)

more to the point, no indication that counter air was conducted against incoming - so it raises the issue of what russian counter air is in place and why didn't it react

2007yellow430

evolving

US has apparently launched 50+ cruise missile strikes against airbases in Syria (near Homs in province of Idlib)

more to the point, no indication that counter air was conducted against incoming - so it raises the issue of what russian counter air is in place and why didn't it react
I don't know enough to comment, but the Russians and Syrians are claiming they didn't do this. Their claim is that bombing a warehouse caused this. Anyone here know enough to comment if that is possible? After Iraq, I'm skeptical of this type of stuff.

Art

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I don't know enough to comment, but the Russians and Syrians are claiming they didn't do this. Their claim is that bombing a warehouse caused this. Anyone here know enough to comment if that is possible? After Iraq, I'm skeptical of this type of stuff.

Art
hard to say, but the forensics are showing chemical weapons delivery by air

the rebels don't have air capability, which is also one of the reasons why Clinton wanted to invoke a safe air corridor to stop the opportunity for Syrian air to strike safe/civilian areas

King Wally

evolving

I have to be slightly concerned that Russian Aircraft or personnel may have been present at this Syrian Air force site? Does anyone know if this may be the case?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I have to be slightly concerned that Russian Aircraft or personnel may have been present at this Syrian Air force site? Does anyone know if this may be the case?
always possible, but the bulk of the russian forces and effort is elsewhere

hauritz

hard to say, but the forensics are showing chemical weapons delivery by air

the rebels don't have air capability, which is also one of the reasons why Clinton wanted to invoke a safe air corridor to stop the opportunity for Syrian air to strike safe/civilian areas
I am not sure there is a solution to Syria. Destroy Assad and someone just as bad will probably replace him.

The coming days will really test Trump's leadership skills.

I wonder what the next move will be? Take up Clinton's idea of a no-fly zone?

Then of course there is Russia to deal with.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

should add, theatre surveillance showed no russian aircraft up at the time of the sarin strike - the only air then left is syrian (poss rotating out of al-Shayrat)

I would assume that off the track management forensics they targeted that airbase as the one where air was tracked at time of the syrians releasing those weapons

eg they can track all air before, during and after, so they link the aircraft positions to the time of weapons release

the russians were also warned about the strike, but no indication yet of how much warning was provided

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
should add, theatre surveillance showed no russian aircraft up at the time of the sarin strike - the only air then left is syrian (poss rotating out of al-Shayrat)

I would assume that off the track management forensics they targeted that airbase as the one where air was tracked at time of the syrians releasing those weapons

eg they can track all air before, during and after, so they link the aircraft positions to the time of weapons release

the russians were also warned about the strike, but no indication yet of how much warning was provided
No indication of what the response will be either, at least so far.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
59 tomahawks launched

australian govt advised approx 2 hrs before strike took place

Status
Not open for further replies.