US destroys missile with airborne laser for first time(RAW) - Video.

Kilo 2-3

you mixed photons and electrons. First one is the quantum of EM field. Second - elementary particle. This beam is not the electrons beam.
because of einstain formula E=mc^2, any energy has mass. So photon has mass too.
What energy this laser has? 5 megawatts??? to large - you need a permanent power source of 6-7(estimation) megawatts on the board, because of not 100% efficiency of conversion of source power to beam power.
Yeah, light's kind of a fuzzy area of physics. No one quite know what it is (particle? wave? both? something else entirely?) and I'd stay away from absolute statements on it unless you have a PhD in the subject.

And we're on something of a tangent here anyways...

Also in this video the laser fires for some time but the exhaust plume (the only visible part fo the missle) of the missile keeps going strong even after the laser stopped firing. So it begets the question did the Laser actualy affect the missile ?
Even if the laser doesn't score a physical kill, it can still disable the missile's electronics by subjecting them to intense heat. The missile will still keep going, but odds are it'll land in the middle of no where rather than hitting it's target. A catastrophic kill is certainly preferable, but you might not always be able to get it, so you'll under certain conditions you could have to settle for a mission kill.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, light's kind of a fuzzy area of physics. No one quite know what it is (particle? wave? both? something else entirely?) and I'd stay away from absolute statements on it unless you have a PhD in the subject.
Actually there's nothing fuzzy. Everything is both a particle and a wave. Including you and me. The problem is that the conditions required to demonstrate our wave properties are too expensive to engineer.

kgb_agent

every kgb-agent knows this system if for interception starting ICBMs, and words about tactical applications is the lie. this words are silly coverage for Strategic Defensive Initiative work.
I think any us attempt to violate strategic balance among russia and usa(and china in future), is the real reason for future war.:daz
And it is bad.
it could be my last post, because i m under Strategic Defensive of moderators too.
Good bye.

Last edited:

kgb_agent

Actually there's nothing fuzzy. Everything is both a particle and a wave. Including you and me. The problem is that the conditions required to demonstrate our wave properties are too expensive to engineer.
for macrobodies quantum basis is not well defined. For example noone could know what is the spin, charm, and color, as quantum numbers, for Feanor.:finger

kgb_agent

for me it is interesting how to prevent the interception by this laser weapons, of "last hello to america" attack.
it seems if us sends it to russian borders, it could be the sign that us prepares the ww3?
and it seems that russia could claim to remove it far away, else we''ll knock it down.
Nothing personal, as kgb_agent I think about our families only.
Hello from Moscow!

dragonfire

Even if the laser doesn't score a physical kill, it can still disable the missile's electronics by subjecting them to intense heat. The missile will still keep going, but odds are it'll land in the middle of no where rather than hitting it's target. A catastrophic kill is certainly preferable, but you might not always be able to get it, so you'll under certain conditions you could have to settle for a mission kill.
I understand the principle

However

What Happened to the Missile shown in the video when it was subjected to the Laser ????????

Chrom

In 1980x USA demonstrated a laser, installed on 150t Boeing. , destroying very small missile. Time were gone, the project was declared "inadequate" and closed.

30 years later, USA demonstrated a laser, installed on 350t Boeing, destroying small missile. The project several years ago was silently declared "inadequate", funds were cut, and now it is essentially closed aside from some Boeing PR and public show.
I fear my friends, in 20 years USA will demonstrate a laser, installed on retired Ukrainian 650t An-124, destroying somewhat large missile. And i kinda assume the outcome of such project...

Meanwhile, billions $$ flow to "scientists" and "developers". Well, they got it right. Good for them...

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
for macrobodies quantum basis is not well defined. For example noone could know what is the spin, charm, and color, as quantum numbers, for Feanor.:finger
I'm not sure I understand your point correctly. But just because we can't defined certain properties, doesn't mean that they don't exist. ;)

kgb_agent

I'm not sure I understand your point correctly. But just because we can't defined certain properties, doesn't mean that they don't exist. ;)
spin, charm, and color are quantum numbers, dear Feanor. but because it is offtopic, could you answer pls - if usa sends this laser planes to russian borders, could we claim to remove it back? or usa would consider it as unfriendly act?
is here responsible cia agent who is able to answer?:p:

kgb_agent

I fear my friends, in 20 years USA will demonstrate a laser, installed on retired Ukrainian 650t An-124, destroying somewhat large missile. And i kinda assume the outcome of such project...
Today, after neocons inspired orange revolution, ukraine goes to rural hell as falling stone. So i doubt that you ll see someday second Soviet(formally Ukranian now) An-124.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
spin, charm, and color are quantum numbers, dear Feanor. but because it is offtopic, could you answer pls - if usa sends this laser planes to russian borders, could we claim to remove it back? or usa would consider it as unfriendly act?
is here responsible cia agent who is able to answer?:p:
I would imagine that if these lasers were developed into operational BMD platforms, they wouldn't need to be all that close to Russian borders. They would just need targetting data from radars close to Russian borders, many of which already operate. A demonstratory deployment of them in say Poland, would probably provoke the same response as the planned BMD shield.