US Army Unveils New Replacement Camouflage

Winter

U.S. Army Unveils New Digitized Combat Uniforms

(Reuters) The U.S. Army on Monday unveiled the first significant update to its combat uniform since 1981, a redesigned outfit featuring a digitized camouflage pattern.

The new uniform is intended to blend into all types of terrain, with a combination of tan, green and gray, the Army said. It is set to replace the two different combat uniforms currently in use, one designed to blend into desert settings and the other for use in forest areas, the Army said.

The uniforms will be issued by next April to soldiers in units being deployed overseas, with the entire Army getting them by December 2007, officials said. The new uniforms have been tested by Army Stryker Brigade soldiers in Iraq since last fall.

Source: Reuters

AP image:

First thing you notice?

mysterious

The soldier!! He seems too noticeable. Wazzup wid that? I think the current ones are better than this one. :smokingc:

srirangan

Banned Member
I saw this on a documentary. The movie saidf that the US Mil was designing such a suit which would work the same way as the chameleon. I'm not sure if this one is the suit that the movie was about, but heck, US will unbeatable in by 2020.

:smokingc:

moughoun

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I think that is the FIBUA version, they haven't released pic's of the woodland pattern yet, but if it work's it work's no matter what it looks like

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
hehehehe..........that camouflage pattern spells "shoot me"

i wonder how well does it conceal soldiers from NVGs and Infar-red imagers

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The effectiveness of the pattern will be proven (or disproven) in the field. The actual physical design of the garment ie pockets, new collar etc. is a nice leap forward for soldiers as it will be more practical. It supposed to help defeat light intensifying devices (NVG's). To answer the question about IR,...there's no garment that will help with that, at least not one that's going to be worn by combat troops. Reallize that decent IR equipment will detect footprints...no simple uniform is going to hide the heat differential that a body gives off.