US Army News and updates general discussion

Terran

With the Sep v3 crossing the 66.8 metric tons based on the US Army’s own official data listed in U.S. tons converted for those metrically inclined. That may or may not include the Trophy system which on Abrams adds another 5,000 lbs due to the bolt on nature and counterweights.
which is why I said M1E3 will probably have a new turret.
66.8 M tons is still quite heavy (I believe Challanger II is still the heavyweight of NATO in weight) especially when you are an Army that spends more of its time in conflicts Thousands of miles from your borders. Which is why the weight is an issue.

Terran

That's because the Yanks rebelled against their lawful sovereign.
::The Ghosts of Charles the First and James the Second, and Louis16th and Louis17 have entered the Chat… only to be driven away by the Ghost of Oliver Chromwell backed by two armies of Parliament, the French Revolution and The American founding Fathers::

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
::The Ghosts of Charles the First and James the Second, and Louis16th and Louis17 have entered the Chat… only to be driven away by the Ghost of Oliver Chromwell backed by two armies of Parliament, the French Revolution and The American founding Fathers::
Cromwell was a traitor and committed regicide. They dug him up after Charles II took the throne and treated him (belatedly) to a traitors death. The French??? They're excitable at the best of times.

FormerDirtDart

A new 155 mm shell from BAE. The range may be up to 60 miles with the 39 cal M109. An earlier test with a 58 cal claimed 68 miles. The big question is cost albeit likely a few of these are less expensive than a missile.

I have to wonder on how reduced effects on target are. Obviously depending on the level of precision can make up for reductions in actual blast effects.

Ahhh ... and as I suspected the round is part of the Hypervelocity Projectile (HVP) development program

FormerDirtDart

I have to wonder on how reduced effects on target are. Obviously depending on the level of precision can make up for reductions in actual blast effects.

Ahhh ... and as I suspected the round is part of the Hypervelocity Projectile (HVP) development program
Additional "Googling" has produced an image of the XM-1155-SC round, at the recent AUSA 2023 defense conference & published with some info by Janes

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Additional "Googling" has produced an image of the XM-1155-SC round, at the recent AUSA 2023 defense conference & published with some info by Janes

Interesting, BAE claims a longer range without a ramjet. I would assume this might be less expensive.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Just some more confusion wrt ERCA. Boeing and BAE are both hyping their respective approaches. This posts mentions some issues with testing the 58 calibre prototype canon, a BAE collaboration with Rheinmetal on a 52 cal. Current tests were with a 39 cal canon. Add in ramjet and guided munitions for more confusion. Regardless it seems something will emerge that is superior, hopefully at a reasonable cost per shell.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Apparently M777 production is to resume. Towed artillery might still have a minor role but mobile wheeled and tracked SPG seem to be the most useful platforms based on the current Ukrainian-Russian war. The light weight M777 integrated into a wheeled platform could be a useful solution for a mobile gun.

T.C.P

Apparently M777 production is to resume. Towed artillery might still have a minor role but mobile wheeled and tracked SPG seem to be the most useful platforms based on the current Ukrainian-Russian war. The light weight M777 integrated into a wheeled platform could be a useful solution for a mobile gun.
There was article from the Ukrainian side that says the opposite.

its in french so use Google translate. I meant to post this in the Russia-Ukr thread but forgot. Essentially the Ukr love the M-777 as its easy to conceal and can be dug in. Russian counter battery is lancets and FPVs, and a dug in position offers protection( anti drone nets etc). But the Ceaser in particular is too cumbersome cannot be hidden, and can only fire a few rounds before having to be moved as they are priority targets. The Ukr manage to get more use out of old fashioned towed arty.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

Sandhi Yudha

FARA is cancelled according to this link. Reason, lessons learned from the Ukraine war and the need to fund higher priorities.

The US Army has already twice canceled potential replacement efforts for the armed scout. In 2004, it terminated the Comanche program after spending $9 billion to produce two prototypes.
Four years later, it canceled the Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter. And now the Future Armed Reconnaissance Aircraft helicopter.

Times and the way of warfare change, but every time totally cancel programs is such a waste of time, money and resources. Its better to put it on hold and adapt the design, to continue later.