understanding modern airboure operations

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Jessica Rowe and bone used in the same sentence - just not in the context I was thinking about...

3RAR - definately a step up on your regular infantry - I spent a year living the other side of the Holsworthy 'MSR' - and they definately needed a step up to be on the same level as the regular humans. Must have something to do with hitting the ground like a pile driver too many times. Makes me wonder if dwarfs are just ex -paras? Bunch of angry ants - that's for sure...
My old seco was ex 3 RAR and he told us how he broke his coxis jumping from a bou. the bloke infront of him froze so being the helpful sort he gave him a shove, over balanced and hit the edge of the ramp with his but as he tumbled out after the bloke. The worst story I heard was of one bloke, on a night jump, landing one leg in and one leg out of an abandoned washing machine that had been dumped in the middle of a paddock

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
My old seco was ex 3 RAR and he told us how he broke his coxis jumping from a bou. the bloke infront of him froze so being the helpful sort he gave him a shove, over balanced and hit the edge of the ramp with his but as he tumbled out after the bloke. The worst story I heard was of one bloke, on a night jump, landing one leg in and one leg out of an abandoned washing machine that had been dumped in the middle of a paddock
Well it could be worse. When the SADF parabats hit Cassinga in Op Reindeer one poor para went into a river and no one ever saw him again. Except the Hippos.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Londondary DZ had washing machines,fridges, car bodies and other stuff dumped there.
Add cattle fences, thistles etc on rock hard ground, crappy dz, but close to'Richmond.
I have seen a young digger, about 18 yo, go out and get his wings tattooed on him (tool) underneath his wings was "AIRBONE" just as said digger had desgned his own tattt. He was forever referred to as airbone, he was a stuffup, but he was our stuffup .

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Londondary DZ had washing machines,fridges, car bodies and other stuff dumped there.
Add cattle fences, thistles etc on rock hard ground, crappy dz, but close to'Richmond.
I have seen a young digger, about 18 yo, go out and get his wings tattooed on him (tool) underneath his wings was "AIRBONE" just as said digger had desgned his own tattt. He was forever referred to as airbone, he was a stuffup, but he was our stuffup .

Have you seen that Graham Norton Show where they showed pics of all the buggered up tattoos on people..?. it was hysterical.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, not that show, but I've seen a magazine article with some howlers, portraits that look like they were done by a school kid etc.

airbone!

I might add, that during the 80,s, that yank airbourne hua, get airbourne or get out, or God said airbourne and the devil stood to attention crap (insert fingers down throat) had not crept into 3RAR, worst thing said was crap hat, re fering to non qual personel.

The aggression thing was well and truly alive, we were pushed to our limits and beyond, and relied on aggression to get through stuff, no unit in our army did as many, or faster foced marches, worst I experienced was 84 km, in about 18 hours. Followed by SMR range shoot, then cramps and licking of wounds.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
You could always tell the ex 3 RAR blokes, they were 5" shorter than their med records said they joined at and all had stuffed backs and knees