UK sailors captured at gunpoint

Two interesting articles.

Diplomacy or a deal - how the standoff ended

The release of the 15 Britons was a "gift" to the British people to celebrate the birth of the prophet Muhammad and Easter, according to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. It also came two hours after an American general revealed the US might allow Iranian diplomats to visit five countrymen arrested in Iraq three months ago.....
guardian

Americans offered 'aggressive patrols' in Iranian airspace

Americans offered 'aggressive patrols' in Iranian airspace

The US offered to take military action on behalf of the 15 British sailors and marines held by Iran, including buzzing Iranian Revolutionary Guard positions with warplanes, the Guardian has learned.
In the first few days after the captives were seized and British diplomats were getting no news from Tehran on their whereabouts, Pentagon officials asked their British counterparts: what do you want us to do? They offered a series of military options, a list which remains top secret given the mounting risk of war between the US and Iran. But one of the options was for US combat aircraft to mount aggressive patrols over Iranian Revolutionary Guard bases in Iran, to underline the seriousness of the situation.....
guardian

riksavage

Banned Member
The UK military personnel gave a comprehensive briefing reference the capture on live TV. According to the Marine LT, two Iranian boats approached, followed very quickly by a further six. Vessels were armed with HMG’s (12.5mm’s) and at least one RPG.

The UK team claim they where at least 1.7 NM inside Iraqi territory.

My questions / observations as follows:

The time taken for the Iranian boats to travel 1.7 NM at speed would have taken minutes (Navy hacks out there please provide time estimates). This would have left the HMS Cornwall’s radar operators very little time to determine whether the vessels where friend or foe then inform the Captain, who in turn authorises the use of Naval gunfire. One assumes the body of water the boats were operating in was not completely devoid of ships / small boats other than the Brit ribs and Iranian antagonists, which would have complicated the friend / foe assessment. Once the Iranian vessels were mixed in amongst the Brit ribs offensive fire from Cornwall would have been unrealistic and counter productive.

In my humble opinion the real balls-up here was the choppers departure before the boarding drills were concluded. The Iranians would not have known what level of firepower the top-cover had, so they deliberately waited until it withdrew. Who ever made that decision will be hung out to dry, and quite rightly so.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I agree.
For me it also seems as if the cover provided by a helicopter is necessary during every phase of a boarding action.
The question is if doorgunners with HMGs can provide enough firepower to counter possible iranian boats with their HMGs and RPGs (Not to talk of possible MANPADs).
So AShMs seem to be important.

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The UK team claim they where at least 1.7 NM inside Iraqi territory.

My questions / observations as follows:

The time taken for the Iranian boats to travel 1.7 NM at speed would have taken minutes (Navy hacks out there please provide time estimates).

Quite simply(using simple math), if the Iranians where travelling at 30 NM/hr.(which I am assuming is an average speed for a fast attack craft), it would take approx. 2 minutes to cover a mile.

It would be fair to assume that they would be probably about 3 miles inside their own waters. That means it would have taken them about 10 minutes to cover the distance (on that basis).

It would also be fair to assume that given the fact the RN have been there for some considerable time doing this task, to help maintain the status quo, they wouldn't have seen the approaching vessels as a threat.

NOTE:

Not being privvy to any facts of the situation, other than those reported in the media, these comments are made on how I see such a sceneario playing out, and are not intended to reflect what actually happened.