UK defence cuts

Sampanviking

Banned Member
I too have wondered about the future of the new Carriers and on the face of it would appear primary candidates for cutting.

I also realise however that a lot of money has already been spent and that no Government would wish to see that wasted.

I further realise that a Carrier is not an intrinsic whole but a collection of many and often costly sub sub systems and that many of these systems can be cut without making the ship non-operational.

So maybe this is a remedial solution, to build the Carriers to a minimum spec and maybe only operate Helicopters from them until such time as they can be upgraded back towards their original capabilities.

I do believe however that the Defence Review will be savage and the notion of the UK military as being an expeditionary capable force may be shelved for at least a generation.

T.C.P

I too have wondered about the future of the new Carriers and on the face of it would appear primary candidates for cutting.

I also realise however that a lot of money has already been spent and that no Government would wish to see that wasted.

I further realise that a Carrier is not an intrinsic whole but a collection of many and often costly sub sub systems and that many of these systems can be cut without making the ship non-operational.

So maybe this is a remedial solution, to build the Carriers to a minimum spec and maybe only operate Helicopters from them until such time as they can be upgraded back towards their original capabilities.

I do believe however that the Defence Review will be savage and the notion of the UK military as being an expeditionary capable force may be shelved for at least a generation.
I am pretty sure the British govt. isn't crazy enough to turn Britain's first ever super carrier(worth billions) in to a helicopter carrier and later then spend more money upgrading it back to full carrier status. I mean would that even be possible?:confused:

MrQuintus

Not really, as all it needs to operate the F35b is the lifts, the ski-jump an armory and fuel bunkerage, oh and the crew and tools to keep them flying. not much of a saving to be made in not including the capability

Sampanviking

Banned Member
I was rather more thinking about high end electronic systems etc more than just plate steel, which is relatively cheap.

You could add to the list the F35 itself (assuming it ever is produced) as the buying and then maintaining the fleet would hardly be a modest cost.

To paraphrase, it is still possible to build the ships and make them operational, but not equip them with the high end electronics or aircraft that would be needed for full Strike Carrier operations. It is the only real option other than full scrappage.

The idea of the ships being built and commissioned as originally envisioned, is; in the current environment, one that has no traction outside of fevered adolescent fantasy.

Toby

its also worth noting the eton rifle osborne wants the standard defence budget to pay for the replacement of trident which i think is an initial 20bn . but liam fox was trying to fight tooth and nail to get it paid out of the treasury and not the defence budget