UAE Confirms Discussions With France On Purchase Of Rafale

jtm

A few news about the Rafale deal with EAU air force.

- the rafale you saw during Sarkozy's visit were actually on their way back from Afghanistan for what i know, and were here to attest the fact that France will have 5 to 6 combat planes on Al Dhafra base from now on. It will not necessarily be rafales, but it was good for the picture, and our president loves pictures...

- the deal is far to be closed. As I said a few weeks ago, EAU want to get rid of the mirages 2000-9, and it will be france's job to sell them on the occasion market which is not that easy in this economy.

- the EAU have not bought the rafale yet for a few reasons. First, there are discussion on price, which is not surprising. But the real problem is that they want planes much more sophisticated than the one operating in the french AF today. Current rafales are standard-1 and standard-2 rafales. Dassault is supposed to deliver standard-3 rafales by 2012. Actually the EAU want a plane ever more sophisticated (they talk about a -4 model), just as they did with mirages-9 (better than the ones in the french AF) and with leclerc tanks later (same thing). They want active antenae, more countermeasure electronics, a plane much more stealthy, an improved engine power, and the ability to carry the new air to air missile "meteor".

My analysis is that they will buy rafales in the end, but not now, and maybe more expensive than expected in the first place. Rumors say 6-8 bn euros, it will probably be 8-10 bn euros in the end. They are ready to pay the price, but they want top aircrafts. We can't blame them, with Iran that close. It's a real challenge for Dassault, because spending so much R&D to develop a plane, for only 60 pieces, is virtually suicidal. Especially since they won't sell these -4 models to the french AF that just can't afford them.

I'll keep in touch if I have news...

Excuse my english, it's late over here and I should probably be sleeping :)

Blue Streak

Banned Member
The UAEAF (EUA?) want Dassault and French Industry to deliver the near impossible considering the price thet've offered, and thus no deal signed as yet or near.

Abu Dhabi has a very high list of demands.

The UAEAF want SNECMA to upgrade their M88 engine to develop 20,000lb of thrust at full afterburner. This will involve a substantial redesign of the current model incorporating the use of carbon fibre and titanium materials. The UAEAF have requested the lighter EJ2000 be also studied as an alternative, despite that also potentially involving a substantial redesign.

They have also demanded any order rests upon Thales improving the perfomance of their RBE2AESA radar. The UAEAF were very impressed with its promised ECCM performance, however concerned at its development stage and effective range. Thales (with UAEAF invetsment) have promised to deliver.

The UAEAF was very impressed by the SPECTRA electronics suite of the Rafale and want to ensure any French upgrade of the system is available to themselves. Likewise, they are eager to ensure any cockpit enhancements are made available for future use, including any upgraded HMCS missile cueing system.

Access to future French guided munition technology is expected, including the use of European GPS-based targeting sources. Any UAEAF order of Rafale should incorporate the ability to target and launch MBDA Black Shaheen and variants.

The purchase and full utility of MBDA Meteor or future alteterantives with possible technology transfer should be guaranteed.

The order would be Government to Government.

Dassault would take as part payment of any Rafale order, the UAEAF's active quoter of Mirage 2000-9EAD/DAD. The UAE at same time would order at least two French submarines and put options on another two FREEMs that it could sell to a third party.

Last edited:

jtm

Thank you for your post, much more precise than my previous one...
I'd be glad to know if you have any more intel on the deal. Over here (in France), some people say that a deal could be sealed before 2010, maybe mid-november...maybe a little later.

Do you have any kind of info or heard rumors that could confirm this ?

best regards

JTM

Blue Streak

Banned Member
Thank you for your post, much more precise than my previous one...
I'd be glad to know if you have any more intel on the deal. Over here (in France), some people say that a deal could be sealed before 2010, maybe mid-november...maybe a little later.

Do you have any kind of info or heard rumors that could confirm this ?

best regards

JTM
TacticalReport.com is a very good source, but you have to pay for it's intel. However it is rarely wrong.

IntelligenceOnline.com (a French website) similarly charges for its inside knowledge, but again its sources seem very good.

Last edited:

Blue Streak

Banned Member
Saudi Green Flag 2

The RSAF despite there long range deployment to Dijon; their F-15S have seemingly outperfomed Rafale during BVRAAM engagements.

Saudi pilots, graduates of US Red Flag even moved within visual range-kills of the Rafale.

zeven

Its good news.
But i do not understand why. are these guys just bored and want some new toys and spend money for the sake of it, or have their threat level increased so much lately that their airforce can't cope with future threats?