Turkey joins Pakistan, China in joint efforts for Space Technology

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Not really a military technology related, at least not directly. But still worth a read & a good news for some.

Turkey joins Pakistan, China in joint efforts for Space Technology

Ruth Chen 'Pakistan Times' Foreign Correspondent

BEIJING (China): Turkey has joined Pakistan, China and six other countries in the region to make joint efforts for the development of space technology.

Ambassador of the Republic of Turkey in China Oktay Ozuye signed the Convention of the Asia Pacific Space Cooperation Organization (APSCO) on behalf of his government. Thus Turkey has become the ninth State to sign the APSCO Convention.

Informed sources said on Wednesday that the organization is aimed at promoting multilateral cooperation in the field of space technology.

Other six countries that have already inked the Convention are Iran, Indonesia, Thailand, Bangladesh, Mongolia and Peru. Five countries Argentina, Brazil, Philippine, Russian Federation and Ukraine joined the APSCO with observer's status.

Sources say that this is a big breakthrough in strengthening regional cooperation for peaceful use of outer space for the benefit of all mankind.

Pakistan and China played a pioneering role in establishing the organization, first of its kind to expand and intensify cooperation in space activities in the Asia-Pacific region.

This will enable the member countries to share their experience, know-how and potential for their common benefit. They will share their available resources in the use of satellite remote sensing data in environmental protection, natural resources exploitation as well as disaster monitoring and prevention.

The sources hoped that Pakistan and other member countries that joined APSCO will soon get the Convention ratified by their respective Parliaments to make it fully functional. Meanwhile, an interim council at the Ministerial level had been constituted to undertake necessary preparatory work.

China, being a host country has offered to provide full financial support for the establishment and operation of the APSCO until 2006. As such, the member States are not under any obligation to make financial contributions during the preparatory phase. However, they will be required to pay their financial contributions from the year 2007.

Taking in view the immense potential of Space Technology and its spin-offs in the socio-economic uplift of the countries, three Asia-Pacific countries, China, Pakistan and Thailand had taken an initiative and jointly signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in February 1992 for setting up the Asia-Pacific Multilateral Cooperation in Space Technology and Applications (AP-MCSTA).

According to the sources, the benefits to be accrued to the Asia-Pacific countries by virtue of their membership to APSCO will be enormous, including creation of multilateral compatibilities among space systems by the member states that can provide enhanced capabilities in several areas of space technology applications.

Source: PAKISTAN TIMES

Link: http://www.pakistantimes.net/2006/06/22/top3.htm

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Turkey which way?

I wonder if Turkey went that way because they were unable to gain access or participation in the EU Space Agency, interesting perhaps it signifies greater problems with their entrance into the EU.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
robsta83 said:
I wonder if Turkey went that way because they were unable to gain access or participation in the EU Space Agency, interesting perhaps it signifies greater problems with their entrance into the EU.
Could be .. if they cant join Western/European power block than why not join what seems like China led Asian block. Perhaps China's attempt to create pan-Asia union based on its terms.

DC@KIll

Guys, do you have to look for a hidden reason for everything? We are friendly with all the mentioned countries, it probably turned out this way by chance.

kams

Apart from China, what is the status of Space programs of other countries? Do all these countries have a dedicated ongoing space program? I know only of Pakistan having a space program aimed mainly at Remote Sensing and China launched Badr A satellite in 1990. I know nothing about spave programes of other countries. Could some one update?

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
kams said:
Apart from China, what is the status of Space programs of other countries? Do all these countries have a dedicated ongoing space program? I know only of Pakistan having a space program aimed mainly at Remote Sensing and China launched Badr A satellite in 1990. I know nothing about spave programes of other countries. Could some one update?
Pakistan;

Badr-1 was launched by China (lost)

Badr-2 was launched by Russia (In service)

Badr-3 under production

SET-9 (Rumored name -- under production -- considered military set --no one line info available)

SET-X (Name not known yet -- A set being produced with the help of civilian & international companies .. purpose unknown but possibly for space research--no onlline info available)

I herd Iran is either considering or has started research on self made Satellites. But offcourse there is no way to confirm it.

No knowledge about Turkey.

For the rest you can guess have no space program.

adsH

kams said:
Its not about prior contribution, It's more about what you can bring to the group from your resources now, its very similar to what we have here in the Europe, Financial contribution individual Ownership of the projects. It allows the organization to Build multiple capabilities simultaneously and rapidly, it allows exchange of capability probably in a sharing arrangement.

A Khan

kams said:

Info on the space programs og some of the member/oberserver countries, Brazil seems to be the most advance in this field after China: (information from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_agency )

Argentina

The Argentine Space Agency (CONAE), founded in 1996, is oriented to the development of Earth Observing satellites. It has developed several satellite missions including SAC-A, the failed mission SAC-B and the currently operating SAC-C

Bangladesh

The Bangladesh Space Research and Remote Sensing Organization was established in 1980.

Brazil

The Brazilian Space Agency, founded in 1994, directs one of the youngest space programs. Brazil's space program is the most advanced in South America. It suffered a major setback in 2003 due to a rocket explosion that killed several technicians. They had their first success on October 23, 2004 with a VSV-30, or Brazilian Exploration Vehicle, launched on a sub-orbital mission. The agency's primary launch site is at Alcântara.

Indonesia

See National Institute of Aeronautics and Space (LAPAN).

Iran

The Iranian Space Agency (ISA), is a governmental organization and the president of this organization is one of the deputies of the ministry of communication and information technology. ISA is established to do research, design and implementation in the field of space technology ; remote sensing and development of national and international space technology and communication networks.ISA performs the approvals of the Iran Space Council(ISC), which is established in order to peacefully use space technology and science and the above atmosphere space to develop the culture, technology science and finance of the country. The head of ISC is the president of the Islamic Republic of IRAN. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Space_Agency

Pakistan

As mentioned by Sabre, nothing more to add...

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/People's Republic of China

The China National Space Administration is the civilian agency in the People's Republic of China that is responsible for national space policy. The agency was created in 1993 when the Ministry of Aerospace Industry was split in two, with the other part being the China Aerospace Corp. China became only the third country on Earth to send a human into space independently on October 15, 2003 when Yang Liwei piloted the Shenzhou V mission, accomplishing 14 orbits before returning to Earth the next day.
On October 12, 2005 China sent its second spacecraft into space, the ShenZhou 6. The ShenZhou 6 carries 2 astronauts and it stayed in space for 5 days. The China National Space Administration agency allowed most television stations in China to broadcast the blast-off.
[edit]

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/Peru

See Peru Space Agency (CONIDA).

Thailand

The Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA) was established 2 November 2002.

http://www.gistda.or.th/

kams

adsH said:
Its not about prior contribution, It's more about what you can bring to the group from your resources now, its very similar to what we have here in the Europe, Financial contribution individual Ownership of the projects. It allows the organization to Build multiple capabilities simultaneously and rapidly, it allows exchange of capability probably in a sharing arrangement.
My question was not whether these countires are capable of building Satellites/Rockets but do they have a ongoing space programe? By space programe i mean, application of space based technology for the benefit of their citizens...Telecom, Remote sensing, Weather Forecast, etc. To do this its not necessary for any country to have its own satellite..and it may not make economic sense also. Any way thanks for the info posted.

ever4244

My question was not whether these countires are capable of building Satellites/Rockets but do they have a ongoing space programe? By space programe i mean, application of space based technology for the benefit of their citizens...Telecom, Remote sensing, Weather Forecast, etc. To do this its not necessary for any country to have its own satellite..and it may not make economic sense also. Any way thanks for the info posted.
well ,the meaning of the project is to enable these developing country access to the space tech. For every country small or large has equal right to share the benifit brought by space tech.Totally rely on US or EU, maybe a easy way, but that simplely give away your national security also. china has a proverb: other one s tool maybe shiny, but it it your own tool most loyal and fit. If all the space tech is dominated by several country, they can ask whatever price they want , legislate all the rule to protect their own interests.So the poor country will be left behind forever , do the most low-tech job to exchange for the high tech service provide by western. that what happening in globalization. and if these country doesnt catch this flight,next flight maybe no more.

beleg

@ kams
Turkey is capable of creating land observation satelites for civilian purposes. There is a new tender where we will build a military recon sat. as well. Until today all our com.sats were purchased but there is ever increasing need to build these locally as well.

aaaditya

this is bit off topic, i was wondering which countries have military reconnaissance satellites?
as far as i know usa,russia,european union ,japan ,israel and india(tes) have spy satellites.

also these countries have remote sensing satellites having a resolution of 1 metres or less than 1 meter and which can be used for spyong purposes,india also has a dedicated cartographic satellite (the cartosat 1) ,which can make maps available to the indian armed forces.

ever4244

as far as i know usa,russia,european union ,japan ,israel and india(tes) have spy satellites.

also these countries have remote sensing satellites having a resolution of 1 metres or less than 1 meter and which can be used for spyong purposes,india also has a dedicated cartographic satellite (the cartosat 1) ,which can make maps available to the indian armed forces.
I thought you forgot to enroll in China which has long been able to watch rivals from above. our rocket tech rank 3-4, remote control tech rank 3 -5 while satellite tech rank 4-5. at along the shaceship rank 3. remote sensing satellite is once one of our weakness, but has already been solved before the spaceship programme become our major concern.

aaaditya

I thought you forgot to enroll in China which has long been able to watch rivals from above. our rocket tech rank 3-4, remote control tech rank 3 -5 while satellite tech rank 4-5. at along the shaceship rank 3. remote sensing satellite is once one of our weakness, but has already been solved before the spaceship programme become our major concern.
i did not mention china since i did not have much knowledge about chinese remote sensing capabilities,i believe that there is no point in talking about something that i dont know.

SATAN

@ kams
Turkey is capable of creating land observation satelites for civilian purposes. There is a new tender where we will build a military recon sat. as well. Until today all our com.sats were purchased but there is ever increasing need to build these locally as well.
Do you have any links for the Turkish Space and Satellite Program? Who owns IKONAS? anyone know? Its the largest and most advanced privately owned surveillence satellite network in the world today.

olkiej

great news

i am not familiar with millitary technology and stuff. But i must admit this is one hella good news for Turkey am i correct? I love pakistani's and Chinese poeple!:nutkick

Yasin20

Could be .. if they cant join Western/European power block than why not join what seems like China led Asian block. Perhaps China's attempt to create pan-Asia union based on its terms.
i dont think turkey would join the chinese pan-Asia union i reckon theres going to be a turkish union instead

aaaditya

i dont think turkey would join the chinese pan-Asia union i reckon theres going to be a turkish union instead
i think turkey will join the european union.they are really trying hard to enter the european union club and will definitely benefit more if they join the european union in space research.