Tu95 crash in August 1976 in Sargasso sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

Hi,
I'm looking for any info about the crash of Soviet Tu-95 bomber in August, 1976 in Sargasso sea. It was supposed to be a flight from Cuba to USSR.
The top-secret recovery operation was organized by Russian Navy within 290 miles from Newfoundland.

ghost

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
what Was The Cargo That Needed A Top Secret Recovery Operation?
Я ищу кого-то с "той" стороны. Извини, брат, ты врят-ли в теме.
Пытаюсь помочь.

ghost

In English please??
I'm trying to find anybody who may know something about what cased the crash. This is my topic. As you may see it's people who are around 50 y.o. or older now.
The flight plan was to fly directly to USSR. However the plane crashed in another area.

To discuss the rescue operation or what was aboard - it's another topic.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
So first you said that you're looking for any info and then you dismiss all info other then the causes of the crash? :) Anyways a fiarlsy intensive search turned up nothing on the internet. I'll dig around some more, but this thread in our forum was at the top of the search list.

ghost

One other hint. There were two Tu-95 flying together. After the crash the second one returned to Cuba.
Even now after 33 years the relatives of the crashed plane can't get any info from Russian government.

ghost

Have you tried to find someone in the know in Russian forums/blogs? I also would like to learn what happened with that TU-95. Especially since the civilian derivative, the Tu-114, had very good safety record.
Do you want to know what happened to one out of four remaining Tu-114 which was installed in Domodedovo airport in Moscow as a monument?
Few years ago a new owner of the airport :):):) decided that the plane takes too much space and they need it to build a new parking... The plane was cut into pieces and sent to the garbage

ASFC

One other hint. There were two Tu-95 flying together. After the crash the second one returned to Cuba.
Hang on a minute....first you want any info, then you only want certain info, and now it seems you know as much available info that there is and playing a guessing game with other posters. :confused: :unknown

ghost said:
Even now after 33 years the relatives of the crashed plane can't get any info from Russian government.
There is your answer then. If the Russian Govt are still keeping quiet then the likelyhood of any new information just'turning up' is unlikely unless they declassify the material they hold.

ghost

Hang on a minute....first you want any info, then you only want certain info, and now it seems you know as much available info that there is and playing a guessing game with other posters. :confused: :unknown

There is your answer then. If the Russian Govt are still keeping quiet then the likelyhood of any new information just'turning up' is unlikely unless they declassify the material they hold.
You may take it as you want.
I'm just trying to help people to find out about the deaths of their fathers. That's it.

ASFC

I'm just trying to help people to find out about the deaths of their fathers. That's it.
Why didn't you say that from the start?

Seriously though, unless the Russian Govt changes their stance on any information they hold, then we are just down to discussing consipiracy theories which will muddy the waters even more.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hang on. Ghost I've found almost no info on the crash at all. Do you have any source of information that would be able to confirm that this crash indeed did happen? The only thing I've found on the internet was this:

Катастрофа самолета Ту-95 05 октября 1976 года (экипаж Мальцева)
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Campus/7109/da.html

Here's a link to the main site. Do you know the name of the captain of the plane?

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Campus/7109/

EDIT: I just read your original post and you're asking for a crash in August of '76. Again do you have any source of real information that can confirm that this crash did indeed happen?

ghost

самолет ТУ-95РЦ 392 ОДРАП Северного Флота военного гарнизона Федотово (Кипелово,Вологда-18) в августе 1976г. в районе Саргассового моря (Атлантика,Бермуды,на удалении 230 миль от о.Ньюфаундленд).Бортовые номера этого самолета:№ 66МРТС304, по-гарнизону Кипелово- №17.Весь экипаж погиб.

Состав погибшего экипажа:

Командир-пилот 2-го класса (по другим данным-1-й класс?),майор Красносельских Аркадий.И.
Второй пилот-капитан Гарынычев Федор Е.
Главный штурман-навигатор корабля-капитан Бычков Александр Филиппович.,штурман Отряда гарнизона Кипелово,1класс.,выпускник ЧВВАКУШ 1967г.
Бортинженер-капитан Скороходов Л.И.
ст.лейтенант Позняк В.А.
ст.лейтенант Васильев Н.Ф.
ст.лейтенант Лебедев Е.Н.
прапорщик Трифонов М.Н.
прапорщик Грибалев В.И.
прапорщик Тараненко А.И.
курсант Колибабчук В.М.

1.В документальном фильме "Загруженные смертью" (серия №14 сериала "Красные Звёзды") про эту катастрофу сказано дословно следующее:

"...советский ТУ-95РЦ погиб при невыясненных обстоятельствах в результате столкновения с американским самолетом Ф-15.Оба экипажа погибли..."

Could it be that there was a collision with F-15 or another interceptor? Is there any info from that side available?

Admin: Please note that this is an international forum where the principle language is english. If you provide references in other languages then it's important that you provide a translation with it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've found nothing on that accident on the web. No mentionings. This is very strange. Either our gov. has done a very good job of keeping things quiet, or I don't even know what happened.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Have you tried to find someone in the know in Russian forums/blogs? I also would like to learn what happened with that TU-95. Especially since the civilian derivative, the Tu-114, had very good safety record.
hmmm, I have a strong doubt about the intentions and accuracy of that editor. their command of english doesn't help in the loss of accurate translation.

• But, the Cleats were commercially in service for only a total of 14 years
  • planes were taken off service after 14,000 hours.
  • assuming that they did medium haul service (1000 hrs) -that means 6hr return flights - or less than 50% availability in a flight calendar year.

IIRC the benchmark for Starlifters was against piston engined Lockheed Globestars which averaged 164,000 flying hours (same operational generation)

So for the Cleat, that's hardly anything to get excited about when compared to super constellations or super globemasters etc... which were trans and intercontinental

Firehorse

Banned Member
One Aeroflot pilot told me in '81 that TU-114s had some vibration problems and were thus taken out of commercial service. It could also be due to exsessive noise levels in the cabin. But in the N/AF TU-95/142s been modified and are going to stay till 2040.
Interestingly, AN-10s had a short career, but AN-12s/Y-8s are still in service!

Last edited:

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Or the Do-28A... the Dash-4... well, one could go on and on.

All a matter of proper registration and restrictions - or lack of it, in some regions of the world.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Here's something I found, different years and third hand info, but could be a lead for you:

General » Bermuda Triangle Forum » A Sea Story from '80s-a Tu-95 Bear is lost
http://bermudatriangle.proboards24.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=31
A Sea Story from '80s-a Tu-95 Bear is lost
Post by mattwiser on Jun 7, 2004, 1:59am

Call this a sea/air story, but I heard this from a cousin who is a USN F/A-18 Hornet pilot (one of the first women to go to sea and fly off a carrier in combat). She told me that her squadron CO before her first cruise in 1995 stated to her and the other new pilots in the squadron that there was more to the Triangle than meets the eye. He was an ensign at the time on a carrier headed for a Med deployment in either 1980 or '81 when a Tu-95 Bear-D MR aircraft came down from Murmansk (Kola Peninsula), flew between Iceland and the UK, and into the Atlantic to look for the carrier. My cousin's CO flew A-7s at the time, and he and his CO launched with two F-14s to intercept. (The A-7s were rigged as buddy refueling tankers to back up the KA-6Ds) They intercepted the Bear, and as they approached the carrier, the Americans and Russians were talking on GUARD and the Russians were asking what it's like to be on a carrier, and the Americans were asking the Russians if they'd screwed up to get assigned to Kola. The A-7 CO then said:
"Hey Ivan, do you guys know that on your way to Havana you'll be flying thru the Bermuda Triangle?"
One of the Russians-either a diehard communist or a Political Officer with NO sense of Humor responded:
"The Bermuda Triangle is nothing but a tool the Capitalists use to scare the masses!"
"OK Ivan. If that's the way you feel...But if you run into something, and your instruments go out and your compasses start spinning, don't say I didn't warn you."Everyone had a laugh and as the Russians flew off towards Cuba, the Tomcats and A-7s headed back to the carrier. The next day they got a message from LANTFLT in Norfolk asking for the Bear's last known position, course, airspeed, altitude, and condition. They asked for a reason and were told that the Soviet Naval Attache was in Norfolk with a request for information-the Bear had not arrived in Cuba-No SOS, nothing. Several Soviet merchant ships went to the area, along with a number of Soviet subs, the Soviet Navy's Caribbean Flotilla from Cuba (only a cruiser, destroyer, and a supply ship), and several Bears already in Cuba. Other Bears came up from Angola, while a few more came down from Murmansk. Of course the Navy and Coast Guard watched the Russians, while searching themselves-despite the Cold War, the code of the Sea still applied-people were out there in trouble, and politics is secondary. A week of searching turned up the usual-no wreckage, no bodies, no life rafts/jackets, no oil slick (Bears carry a LOT of fuel), no nothing. This was a Bear-D Maritime Recon plane, not a Bear-F ASW aircraft, as the Big Bulge Radar fills the weapons bay. Only thing they found unusual was a P-3 crew seeing what they thought was a green flare-but this flare stopped, and then sped off. The carrier's planes went searching as well-they didn't find a thing (or see anything unusual).

Status
Not open for further replies.