Tsunami threatens Pacific

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
All Forum Members in the Pacific - please note:

Huge quake hits Chile; tsunami threatens Pacific

27 Feb 2009 - TALCA, Chile – One of the strongest earthquakes ever recorded struck Chile on Saturday, toppling homes, collapsing bridges and plunging trucks into the fractured earth. A tsunami set off by the magnitude-8.8 quake threatened every nation around the Pacific Ocean — roughly a quarter of the globe....

Hawaii could face its largest waves since 1964 starting at 11:19 a.m. (4:19 p.m. EST, 2119 GMT), according to Charles McCreery, director of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center. Officials evacuated people and boats near the water and closed shore-side Hilo International Airport.

Experts said tsunami waves were likely to hit Asian, Australian and New Zealand shores within 24 hours of the earthquake. The U.S. West Coast and Alaska, too, were threatened. In all, 53 nations and territories were subject to tsunami warnings.

Waves 6 feet (1.8 meter) above normal hit Talcahuano near Concepcion 23 minutes after the quake, and President Michelle Bachelet said a huge wave swept into a populated area in the Robinson Crusoe Islands, 410 miles (660 kilometers) off the Chilean coast.
Please check with your local authorities/radio/TV for news.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't gotten any warnings, but then again Santa Cruz is pretty far from Chile.

SURB

I am not in the pacific but got a jolt in the morning 6.3 on rachter scale.Thanks for the warning OPSSG.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am not in the pacific but got a jolt in the morning 6.3 on rachter scale.Thanks for the warning OPSSG.
Welcome and the warning is long over now. I did a quick post initially, just in case there were members in areas that might have been affected.