Top mice take over Dutch F-16s

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - Mice seeking shelter in the cold Dutch winter found a short-lived home inside four Dutch air force F-16 fighter jets by building nests with wiring they had gnawed loose.

"We are based next to a large nature reserve with potatoe fields and as it's winter, mice seek warm places to shelter," said Kirsten Regnery, an air force spokeswoman at the Leeuwarden F-16 base in the north of the country.

The mice nests and damaged cables were found recently in F-16s that were awaiting a major maintenance overhaul. Regnery said the pest control division of the army was called in to make the jet hangars "mice unfriendly" with traps and poison.

There were no big material or financial damages. The planes have been serviced, have new wiring and are now airborne again.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_news_article1295.html

----

Here in Pakistan birds try to fly into the wind inlets & in US Taxes Air Fields r some times visited by rattle snakes....what can be done??

A

Aussie Digger

SABRE said:
Here in Pakistan birds try to fly into the wind inlets & in US Taxes Air Fields r some times visited by rattle snakes....what can be done??
They need some Jack Russell's or Fox Terriers in my opinion. The mice and birds wouldn't get anywhere near the jets. The snakes would probably avoid them too... :D

Of course the noise of the jets would probably scare the dogs to death, but I suppose you could train em... :confused:

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How the hell would a dog stop mice from getting into the air crafts.

oops sorry SABRE, I did an edit instead of a quote on your response!

My apols. GF :(

Last edited by a moderator:

adsH

Mice were repelled with Poison and traps, key word Poison that is a violations of Geneva Convention right!!. "Mice Rights" lol

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
So the dutch have chemical weapons. Wait till Bush comes to know abt this. lol

ajay_ijn

Why use Rat Poison.
It would be better if cats are used.
Each cat for each F-16.
Cats must be allowed to freely rome in the F-16's Hangar.
Rats will not even dare to come near.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Actually the best rodent hunters are dogs - not cats. Thats why some UK pest exterminators use Jack Russels for rat hunting.

Rats are foragers, as soon as they come out at night to find more tasty food (cable doesn't really give them a balanced diet :D then whoompha!

blackzero

ajay_ijn said:
Why use Rat Poison.
It would be better if cats are used.
Each cat for each F-16.
Cats must be allowed to freely rome in the F-16's Hangar.
Rats will not even dare to come near.
A Cat for a rat is the best solution but it may be a problem to keep them in the shelter bcz they like to wander freely here and there ..
but good answer:D

A

Aussie Digger

Dogs like Jack Russels and Fox terriers were bred specially for hunting rats and other vermin. They will always go after them (and anything else they happen to notice, flies, moths, cockroaches...) Cats on the otherhand "might" (if they feel like it) go after a mouse, but often a cat will simply ignore it... The dog is more dependable, even if a cat is slightly better at killing a mouse... Anyway, what a silly discussion for a "defence" forum?

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
Anyway, what a silly discussion for a "defence" forum?
Exactly..I posted it for a serious discussion. AirFields r usualy isolated & r surrounded by trees, bushes, small forests etc hence there will be small sized animals which can shelter them sleves in the AirCrafts.

The problem here is not how to catch a mouse but how to stop small animals like birds,mice, snakes etc from getting into the AirCrafts. Birds usualy fly into wind inlets when AirCrafts r flying, which is quite dangerous. Mice can get a shelter there n eat the wires, what if they were not found. this is more serious than a joke.

A

Aussie Digger

I know, sorry for putting it off on a silly tangent. My idea would probably work though...