Tips for training RAinf

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Yeah, looks like some good info. I should have enlisted myself (Rifleman) 12 days ago, but I am injured and need surgery so that is off for a while.:shudder
Keep in mind there is a good chance that you might be rejected due to surgery. I don't know how it works in Australia, but a few guys I know had been turned down because of previous medical operations.

Auzzzie

Nah, I won't be rejected for it, I've talked to a fair few other blokes who have been in a similar situation. The most likely course of events is that they will give me a 12 month wait before I am classed as fully fit again. However it is possible to launch an appeal against that around 6 months in if I have the proper documentation showing that I am fully fit, so it isn't all gloom.

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
Keep in mind there is a good chance that you might be rejected due to surgery. I don't know how it works in Australia, but a few guys I know had been turned down because of previous medical operations.
The Australian Government has announced that physical and other standards (for example prior convictions for smoking dope will no longer disqualify someone from joining) would be lowered to assist with meeting recruiting targets. Does anyone know if the lower physical standards will apply to areas of the ADF like the infantry or only to positions not requiring high physical standards?

Cheers

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
To the best of my knowledge,so long as the previous injury wont hamper you from MEETING the required physical standards,you may still be accepted. The standards of fitness now are lowre thanPre 95 anyway, but i think that you will find that in some units you must acheive an A Pass, not just pass the PT test. Im not sure how it goes now, but the old minimum pass for PT was 7 heaves,5km run by about 25min if under 30yo,50 sit ups and 30 dorsal raises. Then there was the The battle fittness test for fieldforce units. 15km in webbing and rifle in 2 hr 15min, twice up and down the ropes with webbing and rifle, a run jump dodge course and a firemans carry of 50m.
To get an A pass required more like 15 heaves,80 situps,30 dorsal raises and the run in around 22-23 min. And god help you if you took 2hr 15 for the battle test!

PETERn

I once heard way back when I was in was one of the jokes the staff liked to play when the recruits were off the bus. Everyone were lined up the roll would be called with one name deliberately left out. The recruits were asked if anyones name was not called and recruit Bloggs would put his hand up for it. He was told come with me and led around the corner of the building where one of the staff would shoot off a blank . The corporal would walk back alone saying that was one less problem for them to deal with. Apparently the looks on the recruits faces was something to be seen. Sounds too good to be true though.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
ha ha! havnt heard that one,but i have heard the ration pack lesson!
Everyones rat pack would be tampered with,a sachel with 2 x tic tacs were added.
The instructor would then demonstrate how to boil a cup of water,adding the tic tacs as (de-hydrated boiled eggs!)
While the water was boiling,another instrutor would demonstrate how to cook something else,like a can of whatever. The cup with the tic tacs was replaced by one with real boiled eggs, and the inst,would say something along the lines of,"lets see how the eggs are going,ah perfect!"
The recuits were then sent away to cook up their meal....there would always be couple who fell for the egg gag,and say something like "CPL,my eggs dont work!" and be sent away to try again,or told off for not paying attention! Very funny if done right!