Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thrust Vectoring

Discussion in 'Air Force & Aviation' started by nightsight971, Oct 11, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Todjaeger

Todjaeger Potstirrer

The F-22's nozzles were designed to be LO, in addition to thrust vectoring, and the F-35's nozzle was similarly also designed to be LO, but without the additional requirement of being thrust vectoring. Now I admit that I am not an aerospace engineer, but I would expect that a LO-only nozzle would be easier to design and produce than a nozzle that was both LO and thrust vectoring. After all, why go to the extra effort to ensure that the LO capability meets whatever specification is required regardless of the position in thrust vectoring if one does not have to?

Sandhi Yudha, ngatimozart and OPSSG like this.
  2. OPSSG

OPSSG Super Moderator Staff Member

Plus in the F-35B, the lifting/propulsion system has a three-bearing swivel module. The three-bearing swivel module is in effect a thrust vectoring nozzle at the tail of the aircraft used for certain modes in take-off and landing.
    Why would the designers/developers want TVC for slow speed turns in all models from A to C, when it is more important to swivel the nozzle for the B’s STOVL capability? I hope you realise the B model can swivel it’s nozzle — therefore, it is possible to argue that F-35B is designed for TVC, in STOVL modes of operation. The Rolls-Royce LiftSystem in the F-35B comprises four major components:
    • LiftFan
    • Engine to fan driveshaft
    • Three-bearing swivel module
    • Roll posts
    In addition, the F-35B’s added LiftSystem components are dead weight during flight, but the advantage of employing the LiftSystem is that its greater lift thrust increases takeoff payload by an even larger amount.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    ngatimozart likes this.
  3. nightsight971

nightsight971 New Member

Actually I cut and pasted wrong, "Nothing simple about fitting thrust vectoring to an already in service airframe and engine combo that was not designed for that" belongs to todjaeger from earlier. Sorry.

But yes I agree, the F22 nozzle would be bad for the B model.

OPSSG likes this.
  4. Feanor

Feanor Super Moderator Staff Member

Under your bed. No seriously, take a look.
  5. Todjaeger

Todjaeger Potstirrer

One also needs to consider the battlesystem construct which the PLAAF operates with. Do the fighters the PLAAF operate now, and are expected to operate in the near term have HOBS and LOAL capabilities? Also, does PLAAF doctrine and operational experience provide offboard sensor data? The impression that I have gotten is that the PRC realizes the importance of such capabilities, but is at least somewhat still in the stage of determining what fits their needs, before adopting a particular capability and then rolling it out to the force as a whole.

6. Feanor

Feanor Super Moderator Staff Member

Under your bed. No seriously, take a look.
    Sometimes it does feel like the Chinese military in general is exploring every direction before committing. They do have impressive resources. Let's wait and see if this sees mass production. Though I suspect it will. They already operate the Su-35S with thrust vectoring.