The US / Israeli response to the S-300

Kiwikid

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that under US pressure Iran will recieve a degraded export version of the S-300, with vulnerabilities to ECM. No way that Russia would arm a belligerant nation on it's southern flanks with an air defence system which was totally invulnerable to Soviet ECM. I suspect that the technical issues have to do with this.

Knjaz

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that under US pressure Iran will recieve a degraded export version of the S-300, with vulnerabilities to ECM. No way that Russia would arm a belligerant nation on it's southern flanks with an air defence system which was totally invulnerable to Soviet ECM. I suspect that the technical issues have to do with this.
Russia always sells "degraded" air-defense systems, when compared to the original version used by RuA (often with reduced EW capabilities). Same goes for many other things.

Last edited:

STURM

Russia always sells "degraded" air-defense systems, when compared to the original version used by RuA (often with reduced EW capabilities). Same goes for many other things.
That was certainly the case during the Cold War, whether to Warsaw Pact or other countries. The Mig-25s operated by the Iraqis had the latest RWR fitted that was found to be superior to some western ones. Post 1991 however, to generate revenue, some Russian stuff sold actually contained equipment that was more capable than the same stuff operated by the Russian armed forces.

No way that Russia would arm a belligerant nation on it's southern flanks with an air defence system which was totally invulnerable to Soviet ECM. I
Do the Russians view Iran as a 'belligerant state'', the same way the West and Israel does?

Knjaz

(skip) Post 1991 however, to generate revenue, some Russian stuff sold actually contained equipment that was more capable than the same stuff operated by the Russian armed forces.
(skip)
Any examples with air defense, in 200x ? Tanks with french thermal sights and planes with western avionics are not exactly what i meant :)

STURM

:confused:
Any examples with air defense, in 200x ? Tanks with french thermal sights and planes with western avionics are not exactly what i meant :)
You're absolutely right :) I can't provide any examples or references. Purely speculation on my part but I would assume that the degree to what level of degredation is done for AD systems will depend on who the customer is and its relationship with Russia. With Iran, Syria and to a lesser extent China, they would have no choice but to accept degraded systems due to their inability to source simliar systems from the West. Whether the same would apply to India or Venezuela is anyone's guess.

With regards to non-AD systems, I was told by a Rosoboronexport official some years ago at at arms exhibition that some customers had received aircraft with non-degraded Russian made avionics and EW that had not yet been installed on Russian aircraft due purely to budgetary reasons [he didnt specify the customers].

Saiga

As to high tech, I would remind everyone that the F-117 Stealth Fighter that got shot down over Yugoslavia happened because it flew the same route, at the same time, 3 days in a row.
The SA3 is a radar guided missile it can fly 100times it won't happen anything else,.

manumoscow

s300 - topol ?

Hello,
this is my first time here, and i guess i might not be posting this in the right spot.

But, may i get lucky : does anyone know the diffence between the S300 and the Topol missiles?
Both made in Russia.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

STURM

Hello,
this is my first time here, and i guess i might not be posting this in the right spot.

But, may i get lucky : does anyone know the diffence between the S300 and the Topol missiles?
Both made in Russia.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
The Topol is a nuclear vehicle launched ICBM that can wipe out whole continents. The S-300 is a long range high altitude surface to air missile system meant to engage aircraft and ballistic missiles.

Last edited: