The Scottish Navy

swerve

Super Moderator
So far we've come up with three yards physically able to deal with smaller ships (Cammell Laird can cope with everything smaller than CVF, & has had Bays in dock) & one which can handle CVF, just in northern England. There's also Belfast, of course, so there's a choice of sites to refit CVFs, as with the rest, & even down south there are places which could do with the work & have facilities, e.g. Plymouth.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup- relocating the yards can be done, will be welcomed by the areas in question. I suspect reactivating Portsmouth is the "correct" answer - or least parking it some place near a marginal seat for the furtherance of the government of the day.

If the SNP are remotely sensible, they'll take three of the active OPVs, commission a further 3 to keep their yards working and do a deal for patrols by the RN as an interim measure. No frigates or any pretence at support assets - the Scottish Navy becomes a coast guard and that's your lot. It's achievable and sustainable.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Er. Whisky. Some Scots distillers have said that a Yes vote will hurt them.

Financial services? Heading south.

Oil? Running out.
The Scots will do alright whatever comes - I'm not minded to accept that a post independent Scotland would implode. I just don't think it'll be the land of milk and honey that the SNP are proposing.

The financial services is probably the most "at risk" sector mentioned - losing access to the BOE as a lender of last resort, possibly seeing a lot of HQ's and staff migrate South of the border etc..

swerve

Super Moderator
Indeed. Scotland won't implode, & I've not heard anyone serious suggest that it will. The only people I've heard discussing that possibility are Yes campaigners denying it, & claiming that No campaigners are saying it.

But as you say, it won't be happy lambs a-frolicking in perpetual spring sunshine, as the SNP says it will.

Shipbuilding will be in deep brown stuff. Scotland will find wind farm plans shelved, as we won't subsidise their electricity.The financial industry will shrink, with HQ jobs & tax revenue from profits accruing to those HQ's going south.

But most things will chug along just as before.