The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Not true, the nose wheel of the F16 is behind its intake were as the F18 intakes are behind the nose wheel and almost as low. The suction effect from intakes of a moving aircraft is negligible on the ground in front of the aircraft. the main cause of FOD is what is thrown up by the nose wheel including water and what is in the water. the RAAF lost a F111 at Ohakea some years ago. The fallacy that F16s are FOD prone is just that, a fallacy. For an even worse case, look at a modern B737. I have no problem flying in those.
I remember that F-111 incident. The crew banged out and people were concerned that the crew capsule was drifting back towards the flaming wreckage. I knew one of the woodenheads who was on the crash fire vehicles that day. The RAAF also lost another one near that time. This one decided that it wanted to join the submarine service and went swimming in the Hauraki Gulf. I think that the best example of FOD to engines was the MB-339C in service with the RNZAF. They had a habit of ingesting FOD regularly.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Thanks for the correction on F-18.

According to Justin Bronk, Gripen is less susceptible to FOD than either F-16 or Typhoon. Giving RAF Typhoons to Ukraine Would Be a Very Expensive Symbolic Gesture | Royal United Services Institute (rusi.org)

The reason there is so much focus on FOD in Ukraine is due to the improvised, distributed, rough airfields they are using.

The MiG-29 is much more "FOD-resistant" than any Western fighter it seems. MIG29-Flight-Manual-Pt-1.pdf (jasonblair.net) (page 1-22)
Yes the Mig 29 has that capability of auxiliary air intakes on the top of the engine intakes. It's quite ingenious and practical. I am not sure but I think that the Sukhoi series may have the same arrangement.

Vivendi

Finland has announced it's 16th weapons package to Ukraine. Finnish defense assistance to Ukraine now totals EUR 1.1Billion. The NATO membership allows Finland some more flexibility in what and how much they are shipping.

In other news, Norway has said they are assessing how they will support the Ukranian F-16 effort. No words yet on donations of Norwegian F-16 however I would be very surprised if no F-16 are being donated from Norway.
Norway is assessing how to contribute to training and education of Ukrainian personnel on fighter aircraft - regjeringen.no

Norway contributed NOK 10.1billion in 2022, and will contribute 15 billion NOK (EUR1.27 billion) every year 2023-2027 (expected to be roughly 50% military assistance) Norwegian support to Ukraine and neighbouring countries - regjeringen.no

Swedish CV-90 transported through Germany on May 22nd:
Norwegian soldiers training Ukranian soldiers in Germany:
Finnish volunteers in Ukraine:

Last edited:

Vivendi

The members of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group, which meets in Germany’s Ramstein Air Base, has pledged to provide an additional $65 billion of military aid to Ukraine. Military aid from Germany, Denmark, and France will include tanks, armored vehicles, and air defense systems, among others. Spain has pledged to supply four more Leopard 2A4 tanks – in addition to the six tanks earlier sent by Madrid – and a batch of M-113 armored vehicles. Lithuania also presented a fresh aid package during the Ramstein meeting, promising to supply Kyiv with anti-drone equipment, ammunition, food rations, and more.

The U.S. Defense Secretary highlighted the recent packages from the United States, such as HIMARS ammunition, anti-tank systems, laser-guided rocket, and 155-millimeter artillery rounds.

“We've trained nine motorized and mechanized brigades, and continue to execute collective training for Ukrainian combat units,” Austin said.
At Ramstein, allies pledge $65 billion of combined military aid to Ukraine (kyivindependent.com)

In other news, Japan is sending 100 "military vehicles", food supplies and medical assistance. Japan to provide Ukraine with 100 vehicles, food kits, medical assistance (kyivindependent.com)

15 months after the full invasion of Ukraine, and the aid keeps pouring in to Ukraine. Things look very grim for Russia, and it's only going to get worse for Russia. Much worse.

swerve

Super Moderator
The Swedish airforce has purchased over 200 Gripens but only have 80 in service so I am guessing they have a large number in storage. They could probably provide a substantial number to the Ukrainians fairly quickly.
237 built including 28 for South Africa & 5 prototypes.

What I've seen says that as of 2014, of the 204 delivered to Sweden 32 had been disassembled or destroyed (some A cannibalised to make D), 28 were leased to the Czech Republic & Hungary, 12 had been sold to Thailand (one since lost: 11 currently in service). 4 returned to SAAB as test aircraft, 2 given to museums, & 4 lost in accidents. 24 were listed as stored awaiting decommissioning. The rest were owned by the Swedish air force. Another 4 C/D have since been lost.

Not counting the South African ones: - 84 C/D (70 C, 14 D) were built. The number of C/D in service is 133 (102 C, 31 D). The difference is due to conversions from A/B to C/D. IIRC lost Czech/Hungarian C/D have been replaced from Swedish stocks.

So - 32 + 4 + 2 + 4 + 4 = 46 destroyed or given away. 204 - (46 + 40 sold/leased) = 118 in Swedish hands, assuming the 24 "stored awaiting decommissioning" (which may be A/B) still exist, or 94 if they don't. 94 (71 C, 23 D) is the number given by the 2023 Flight World Air Forces as operated by the Swedish Air Force - https://www.flightglobal.com/download?ac=90688. It adds up!

How many of those could Sweden spare? And what of the 24? Do they still exist? If so, in what condition?

Vivendi

237 built including 28 for South Africa & 5 prototypes.

What I've seen says that as of 2014, of the 204 delivered to Sweden 32 had been disassembled or destroyed (some A cannibalised to make D), 28 were leased to the Czech Republic & Hungary, 12 had been sold to Thailand (one since lost: 11 currently in service). 4 returned to SAAB as test aircraft, 2 given to museums, & 4 lost in accidents. 24 were listed as stored awaiting decommissioning. The rest were owned by the Swedish air force. Another 4 C/D have since been lost.

Not counting the South African ones: - 84 C/D (70 C, 14 D) were built. The number of C/D in service is 133 (102 C, 31 D). The difference is due to conversions from A/B to C/D. IIRC lost Czech/Hungarian C/D have been replaced from Swedish stocks.

So - 32 + 4 + 2 + 4 + 4 = 46 destroyed or given away. 204 - (46 + 40 sold/leased) = 118 in Swedish hands, assuming the 24 "stored awaiting decommissioning" (which may be A/B) still exist, or 94 if they don't. 94 (71 C, 23 D) is the number given by the 2023 Flight World Air Forces as operated by the Swedish Air Force - https://www.flightglobal.com/download?ac=90688. It adds up!

How many of those could Sweden spare? And what of the 24? Do they still exist? If so, in what condition?
In addition, Saab built 14 Gripen C airframes "to keep the assembly line running" while they were waiting for Gripen E assembly to start. Those 14 new-builts are incomplete and currently in storage waiting for an end customer. I think I read somewhere it might take 12-18 months(?) to complete them. It would cost a bit to complete them, not sure how much.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes the Mig 29 has that capability of auxiliary air intakes on the top of the engine intakes. It's quite ingenious and practical. I am not sure but I think that the Sukhoi series may have the same arrangement.

They can have odd side-effects - when testing the East German Mig-29's, post reunification it was noted that if they closed the FOD doors for a taxi,often FOD would have built up on the upper inlet doors which promptly dumped a bucket of gravel into the inlets. Bloke with ladder and broom required prior to taxi....

Vivendi

Some details of the Chinese "peace plans". Seems the goal is to split Europe and the US, and push Europe to accept Russian occupation and annexation of Eastern Ukraine.

"Europe should move quickly to end the conflict between Russia and Ukraine before it spreads" said Chinese officials. One diplomat said China's main interest appeared to ensure Russia don't lose and don't use nukes. Brilliant plan.

Larry_L

I have become fascinated by Prigozhin, and his narrative. He recently gave a long interview with Konstantin Dolgov. I have looked for the full interview without success. I have attempted to piece together quit a bit of what he said. As usual he does not refrain from profanity. All this comes from western sources, so the clips from the full videos are what they want us to hear. Girkin has an answering interview that confirms some of what he says.

Prigozhin:

Girkin:

This one is from utube that shows other parts of the interview.

The following is from CBS news with their take on what Prigozhin said. One thing he said was he was never Putin's Chef. He quips that he should have been called Putin's Butcher.

Larry_L

Ukraine appears to have taken delivery of a single Blackhawk. The reasoning behind this is unclear
Ukraine purchased this helicopter from a private company in the US some time ago. My thought is that they have been using it for training pilots, and maintenance personnel to avoid all the delay when they request western helicopters. Some sites are stating that they have begun requesting helicopters already. They have been losing a few here and there for quite a while, and have more units to support. They surely would have use for quite a few of these.

hauritz

I have become fascinated by Prigozhin, and his narrative. He recently gave a long interview with Konstantin Dolgov. I have looked for the full interview without success. I have attempted to piece together quit a bit of what he said. As usual he does not refrain from profanity. All this comes from western sources, so the clips from the full videos are what they want us to hear. Girkin has an answering interview that confirms some of what he says.

Prigozhin:

Girkin:

The following is from CBS news with their take on what Prigozhin said. One thing he said was he was never Putin's Chef. He quips that he should have been called Putin's Butcher.

Prigozhin is clearly setting himself against Putin. What is interesting is that he seems to be getting away with it.

Russians love manly men. They like all the swearing, the pictures of him on the front line with all his troops and him taking all the credit for the capture of Bakhmut.

Russia will be having presidential elections next year and it sounds like Prigozhin is already on the campaign trail.

hauritz

Prigozhin:

Girkin:

Prigozhin is clearly setting himself against Putin. What is interesting is that he seems to be getting away with it.

Russians love manly men. They like all the swearing, the pictures of him on the front line with all his troops and him taking all the credit for the capture of Bakhmut.

Russia will be having presidential elections next year and it sounds like Prigozhin is already on the campaign trail.

koxinga

He needs to be careful around hospital or hotel windows between now and the election.
I was thinking the same thing. Given he goes to the conflict zone regularly, nothing to stop an accidental bullet, artillery shell from hittin him and blaming the Ukrainians for it.
He is a useful pawn for one of the factions trying to sideline Putin, but whether this pawn becomes king is another matter.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
BBC report that the Ukrainians are in all respects ready to launch their offensive. According the the Ukrainian Minister of Defence, the timing has to be right.

Apparently the Ukrainians have attacked Russian infrastructure and logistics targets inside of Russia using drones. There has also been some Ukrainian shelling of Russian targets inside the Belgorod Oblast. I think that this, and the recent raid into Russia, might be part of the shaping for the upcoming offensive.

Discussion on the Ukrainian incursion into the Belgorod Oblast.

Ukrainian ELINT drone manufacturing.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The following three videos are from a Ukrainian source. They discuss the Ukrainian attack on a Russian intelligence ship in the Black Sea.

The Wagner casualties.

Ukrainian drone attacks on Russian oil and logistics infrastructure, and the increase of Ukrainian long range missile and rocket attacks against Russian targets inside Russian occupied Ukraine.

A discussion on a possible revolution in Russia if the Russians are encircled and destroyed at Bakhmut at some stage.

Big_Zucchini

15 months after the full invasion of Ukraine, and the aid keeps pouring in to Ukraine. Things look very grim for Russia, and it's only going to get worse for Russia. Much worse.
Russia still has one strategic advantage, which Ukraine should nullify ASAP - war-independent economy.
The war reached Belgorod and Crimea, to some extent, but that does not really harm Russia's economy, which is currently free to develop, as Russia pleases, around the sanctions. It could create energy partnerships in the east, it can supply raw materials, sell know-how, whatever, and it's not affected by the kinetic aspect of the war, only the sanctions.
Ukraine's cities are still threatened, and people freely (relatively) leave Ukraine seeking better life elsewhere. In Russia this is far more difficult.

So Ukraine needs to find a way to develop a peace-time economy, at least starting in its west. For that it needs to start organized national missile defense projects that will be separate from its current ad-hoc missile shields.
Germany's early warning array could be accelerated with Ukrainian push and extended to cover Ukraine. It could seek to standardize interceptors with neighbors like Poland (PAC-2 &3), Finland (Stunner) etc. For now, Ukraine can leverage the current nature of air defense aid, as European governments have a serious incentive to keep production of donated IAMD systems high (and thus cheap) but own stocks low, and set up a long term organized array fairly quickly.

Israel's comprehensive IAMD allows it to maintain much of its peace-time economy during war, but Ukraine's large size provides both risks and opportunities in this regard - every area is more difficult to defend, but is also less threatened.

Big_Zucchini

BBC report that the Ukrainians are in all respects ready to launch their offensive. According the the Ukrainian Minister of Defence, the timing has to be right.
I got my shekels on it being a semi psyop. Maybe to get Russia to reinforce all across the front, presenting more targets for Ukraine's deep strike, then do the same thing they did in Kharkiv.
Additional shekels on western AFVs being mostly absent from the offensive's first few phases.