The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
A view from the Russian side on this new item. Apparently there is plenty of ammunition in storage for these old AA guns. The problem with that is it has been in long term storage. I can see this as useful in defense if dug in. It is a lot of firepower. I do not see it as useful against fast moving aircraft. Desperation, and pressure to provide something to replace what was lost probably started this project. Initially, when I saw this, I thought it was a one off. Apparently there are at least a dozen of them. This link provides a fair deal of detail, and lots of speculation. The comments are interesting in themselves.

https://en.topwar.ru/212469-specope...-korabelnymi-artillerijskimi-ustanovkami.html - MT-LB with 2M-3 ship installations

This unit probably came from the same shop. I wonder if we will see these in Ukraine.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/11pg9uz
A Russian source claimed that same BRDM is a captured Ukrainian vehicle. Either way this is nothing new. The USSR experimented with this set up back in Afghanistan but got bad results. Ukraine used rocket pods on MT-LBs as improvised MLRS. Recently we've seen launchers for S-8 rockets on pickup trucks in Ukraine. Russia hasn't done this up until now, but with supplies running low, it could be happening.

EDIT: I took a closer look at the photo. Look at the "pixel" pattern camo marking faintly visible. The BRDM is definitely captured Ukrainian. It's an open question whether Russia was the one that installed the rocket pod.

Desperate Putin empties museums of obsolete tanks to use in war

Are the Russians getting that desperate that they have resorted clearing out museums of obsolete tanks.

Maybe one should put a guard on the T34 that they donated to Australia. I believe its in perfect running order.
Sure and the crews are given shovels instead of small arms for self defense. With over 2000 T-62s in storage, why would Russia pull them out of a museum? I especially liked the part of the article where Ukraine is getting "the most modern western tanks". I guess that's what we call a mildly modernized T-72M1. Of course we're quietly ignoring the T-90Ms that have shown up in increasing quantities on the front lines.

Thats like trying to dig-in a giraffe. : )
A trench for firing from a horse while standing.

In all seriousness the train looked like it had 3 of these tractors and one ZSU-23-4. Also was it 4 Strela-10s? This might be a mixed air defense btln, with the MANPADS battery riding something else, and the lonely Shilka using its radar to provide some warning of inbounds, as well as direction. Of course with the low altitudes of Ukrainian jets, and the tiny RCS of UAVs, the value of even an entire battery of Shilkas is questionable.

Last edited:

JohnWolf

Sure and the crews are given shovels instead of small arms for self defense. With over 2000 T-62s in storage, why would Russia pull them out of a museum?
The fact is, they would not.
However, with all the sour grapes coming from the Wagner Group lately..... maybe them?

As far as the utility of old 115mm goes, I had an idea that might be silly but I wanted to bounce it off a few people;
What about using the old tanks paired with ATGM teams? The cannon fire first, and hit the enemy tank HE round to pop-off the reactive armor. Next, the ATGMs fire and hopefully have a better chance to kill the tank if the cna hit where the tiles were just blown off.
Possible, or leaving too much to chance?

I got the idea when I saw that Moldova has no tanks, but does have a lot of 100mm AT/field guns and ATGMs of various kinds.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fact is, they would not.
However, with all the sour grapes coming from the Wagner Group lately..... maybe them?

As far as the utility of old 115mm goes, I had an idea that might be silly but I wanted to bounce it off a few people;
What about using the old tanks paired with ATGM teams? The cannon fire first, and hit the enemy tank HE round to pop-off the reactive armor. Next, the ATGMs fire and hopefully have a better chance to kill the tank if the cna hit where the tiles were just blown off.
Possible, or leaving too much to chance?

I got the idea when I saw that Moldova has no tanks, but does have a lot of 100mm AT/field guns and ATGMs of various kinds.
The utility of old 115mm is that it can destroy anything that isn't an MBT, and even MBTs with a side shot. Common targets would be enemy infantry positions, machinegun nests, IFVs, APCs, etc. It probably shouldn't go head to head with any relatively modern MBTs, but everything else is fair game.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update. Feb 5th

Zaporozhye-Dnepropetrovsk.

Russian tank crew being led to safety by a friendly quadcopter. Reportedly they drove their tank into a Ukrainian position, fired off their entire combat load but hit a mine while trying to withdraw.

Oskol Front.

Russian quadcopter munition drops near Kremennaya.

Russian forces have gained ground near Kupyansk capturing some Ukrainian kit, a BMP-2 and an MT-LB.

Overrun Ukrainian positions in Lugansk region.

Russian fires near Terny on alleged Ukrainian positions.

Battle damage from strikes in Kharkov. Ukrainian sources are claiming Russia used S-300 missiles to carry out the strike, not the likeliest of scenarios.

Battle damage from fighting in Novoselkovskoe. The village was the scene of heated front line fighting.

LDNR Front.

A Ukrainian strong point in a storage facility in Krasnaya Gora, captured by Wagner. Warning footage of corpses.

Some Wagner fighters operating in the southern part of Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Russian 40th MarBde and DNR Kaskad btln near Ugledar. Note the DNR fighters are riding the BMP-3s.

Alleged Russian staging area hit in Kirrilovka, DNR area, by HIMARS strikes.

A dormitory in Gorlovka got hit by Ukrainian shelling. 6 wounded reportedly.

Russian mobilized personnel from Tyva claim they're being hazed and aren't even officially listed in the Russian military. They managed to capture video of some of the hazing.

Misc.

Russian SpN using thermals to direct tank fires against Ukrainian infantry.

Ukrainian BMP-2 flees due to artillery fires, abandoned their infantry.

A destroyed Ukrainian Kozak-2M1.

A destroyed Ukrainian M-109 getting evacuated. We've seen footage of this destroyed vehicle before.

Russian Tigr armored car damaged by quadcopter munition drops that nonetheless failed to destroy the vehicle.

Georgian fighters operating a captured Tigr-M in Ukrainian hands, carrying K-1 ERA.

Ukrainian forces show off a rare Nona-K piece. Note, normally I would assume this was a captured piece, since Russia uses the type and Ukraine does not, but the speaker says it's a museum piece pulled and restored.

A Ukrainian BTR-60 with a different turret and improvised cage armor.

Russian force operating minelaying devices off of light trucks.

Russian forces operating an MT-LB hull as a towing trailer for carrying infantry.

Mobilization efforts in Ukraine continue.

The World.

Ukraine has begun receiving the T-72EA, which is a T-72M1 but with a new FCS, comms, and optics. Reportedly Ukraine has already received 20 of the 70 promised.

Excalibur Army doing work on T-72M1s, for Ukraine.

Reportedly Russia and Iran are working on agreement to produce modified Shahed munitions in Russia, with Tatarstan listed as a possible location.

Reportedly Ukrainian refugees in Poland are receiving summons from Ukrainian military commissariats to be drafted.

KipPotapych

Bakhmut's in a valley. To the west the the ground rises. intercut with narrow valleys between the fields. There are patches of woodland, especially between Bakhmut & Chasiv Yar (which is over 200 metres higher: looking at the topography I can see why the roads run as they do), & some reservoirs & perhaps natural lakes. There's what looks like an irrigation canal zigzagging along the ridgeline, usually skirted by trees. Seems to be on an embankment in some places & a cutting in others.

It's not just open fields.
I posted a topo map a page or two ago and very briefly discussed why Bakhmut does not have advantage in topography.

The elevation change between Bakhmut and Chasiv Yar is about 130m over 15 km or so (some places shorter, of course).

It’s not just open fields, which I didn’t say; but a lot of open fields, which I did say about the Bakhmut-Slavyansk-Kramatorsk way. It is basically 50 km of open area which would be very hard to defend (that, of course, goes both ways).

I don't think they are going for Kramatorsk and Slovyansk, if they were still holding along Seversky Donets river this could be a possibility but not any more. Looking at the map Konstantinovka imposes itself as the prize, not only is it a major supply hub, reaching it would create an opportunity to surround Ukrainian grouping in and around Turetsk/New York and if you continue along the highway westward you reach Pokrovsk which from as I understand all the supplies heading for the Donetsk front go through. As for possible Seversk cauldron I see this only in the case of opportunistic attack if the Ukrainians leave few troops in the area as a way of shortening the front but not a main focal point of a Russian effort. But one step at a time, first they need to take Bakhmut.
Interestingly, I wrote a paragraph very similar to yours in regards to Konstantinovka and Pokrovsk. Not sure why that paragraph isn’t in my post. This is the third time I see it happening in my posts (maybe it actually happened more than three times): write something -> add to it later -> hit post reply -> some parts of the post disappear. I caught it in the “preview” the first time. If someone could fill me in if I am doing something wrong on my end, I would greatly appreciate it.

Anyway, basically I wrote what you said. As well, moving west and south makes a lot more sense for the RU for a few reasons. One being cutting the supplies and encircling Toretsk area, like you said. Another, moving further west in that direction would likely spoil a Zaporozhye offensive, if there is one coming. And, of course, the land bridge actually has a hell of a lot of strategic value over anything else.

If one believes the liveuamap, there appears to have been some, though little, development in Avdiivka area in the past day or two. The RU look to be in control of the Konstantinovka highway now.

Here is an interesting article from Washington Post today: Ukraine Short of Skilled Troops and Munitions as Losses, Pessimism Grow.

Behind a paywall, so I will paste some parts here. Some unsubstantiated claims as, it seems, in most of the reports presently, but I am not going to point them out.

The quality of Ukraine’s military force, once considered a substantial advantage over Russia, has been degraded by a year of casualties that have taken many of the most experienced fighters off the battlefield, leading some Ukrainian officials to question Kyiv’s readiness to mount a much-anticipated spring offensive.

U.S. and European officials have estimated that as many as 120,000 Ukrainian soldiers have been killed or wounded since the start of Russia’s invasion early last year, compared with about 200,000 on the Russian side, which has a much larger military and roughly triple the population from which to draw conscripts. Ukraine keeps its running casualty numbers secret, even from its staunchest Western supporters.

Statistics aside, an influx of inexperienced draftees, brought in to plug the losses, has changed the profile of the Ukrainian force, which is also suffering from basic shortages of ammunition, including artillery shells and mortar bombs, according to military personnel in the field.

“The most valuable thing in war is combat experience,” said a battalion commander in the 46th Air Assault Brigade, who is being identified only by his call sign, Kupol, in keeping with Ukrainian military protocol. “A soldier who has survived six months of combat and a soldier who came from a firing range are two different soldiers. It’s heaven and earth.”

“And there are only a few soldiers with combat experience,” Kupol added. “Unfortunately, they are all already dead or wounded.”

Such grim assessments have spread a palpable, if mostly unspoken, pessimism from the front lines to the corridors of power in Kyiv, the capital. An inability by Ukraine to execute a much-hyped counteroffensive would fuel new criticism that the United States and its European allies waited too long, until the force had already deteriorated, to deepen training programs and provide armored fighting vehicles, including Bradleys and Leopard battle tanks.[…]

Andriy Yermak, head of Ukraine’s presidential office, said the state of the Ukrainian force does not diminish his optimism about a coming counteroffensive. “I don’t think we’ve exhausted our potential,” Yermak said. “I think that in any war, there comes a time when you have to prepare new personnel, which is what is happening right now.”

And the situation for Russia may be worse. During a NATO meeting last month, U.K. Defense Minister Ben Wallace said that 97 percent of Russia’s army was already deployed in Ukraine and that Moscow was suffering “First World War levels of attrition.”[…]

How much increased Western military aid and training will tip the balance in such a spring offensive remains uncertain, given the scars of attrition that are beginning to show.

One senior Ukrainian government official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to be candid, called the number of tanks promised by the West a “symbolic” amount. Others privately voiced pessimism that promised supplies would even reach the battlefield in time.

“If you have more resources, you more actively attack,” the senior official said. “If you have fewer resources, you defend more. We’re going to defend. That’s why if you ask me personally, I don’t believe in a big counteroffensive for us. I’d like to believe in it, but I’m looking at the resources and asking, ‘With what?’ Maybe we’ll have some localized breakthroughs.”
“We don’t have the people or weapons,” the senior official added. “And you know the ratio: When you’re on the offensive, you lose twice or three times as many people. We can’t afford to lose that many people.”[…]

Meanwhile, a Russian offensive has been building since early January, according to Syrsky. Budanov, Ukraine’s military intelligence chief, told The Post last month that Russia had more than 325,000 soldiers in Ukraine, and another 150,000 mobilized troops could soon join the fight. Ukrainian soldiers report being outnumbered and having less ammunition.[…]

Despite reports of untrained mobilized Russian fighters being thrown into battle, Syrsky said those now arriving are well-prepared. “We have to live and fight in these realities,” he said. “Of course, it’s problematic for us. … It forces us to be more precise in our firing, more detailed in our reconnaissance, more careful in choosing our positions and more detailed in organizing the interaction between the units. There is no other way.”[…]

I would suggest reading the article if you can, as it is a fairly long one for pasting purposes and I left a lot of it out.

One thing I will note, even though I said I was not going to point out any unsubstantiated claims. Note the claim from Wallace where he said “that 97 percent of Russia’s army was already deployed in Ukraine” being reported as fact. This is nuts, for obvious reasons, but an average reader is led to believe that pretty much the entire Russian army is fighting in Ukraine. This reminds me that I was going to post on the subject of media in the other thread and I forgot.

Here is another piece from Reuters with an interesting insight, or so I thought: Russia, Ukraine battle for Bakhmut; ICC Seeks War Crime Arrest Warrants

This is what I thought was the interesting bit:

Ukraine was suffering losses among reserves it intended to use for a later push against Russian forces, Ukrainian military analyst Oleh Zhdanov said in an interview. "We could lose here everything we wanted to use for those counter-offensives."

In the interviews and what has been referenced to him in various media reports, Zhdanov up until two or three days ago was stating that it does make a lot of sense to hold on to Bakhmut and inflict as much damage to the RU forces as possible because RU were losing elite fighters in significantly larger numbers than did the Ukrainian mediocre defenders.

While on the subject of ICC (in the Reuters article), I think this NYT article is worth mentioning: Pentagon Blocks Sharing Evidenceof Possible Russian War Crimes with Hague Court

It’s a short article, but this paragraph pretty much sums it up:

American military leaders oppose helping the court investigate Russians because they fear setting a precedent that might help pave the way for it to prosecute Americans.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
@KipPotapych I am given to understand that the Forum has a time limit on editing posts. Since it came in with the last software upgrade the Moderators aren't effected by it and we have no experience with it. I would suggest posting about it in the Suggestions and Feedback thread and @ both the Webmaster and Preceptor in your text. They should be able to help you. Sorry that I can't be of further assistance.

A video from Task & Purpose discussing why Russia continues to make the same mistakes. He suggests that there are to many factions involved and they don't pass on new knowledge because they all have political goals that they want to achieve. He also said that how the Russian Army undertakes its training is a major cause. Each oblast / region / nation is responsible for the recruitment and training of soldiers. He went on to say that there is no overall Federal Russian equivalent of the US Army TRADOC that "... recruits, trains, educates, develops and builds the Army; establishes standards, drives improvement, and leads change to ensure the Army can deter, fight ...", which really hampers their ability to pass on knowledge etc. If he's correct in this, it wold explain much of the problems.

He also posted a link to I live, I fight, I win! Rules of Life in War which he refers to in the video. It "... is a collection of recommendations based on the generalized experience of combatants in Afghanistan, the North Caucasus and Ukraine. The presentation is distinguished by a deep knowledge of the problem, brevity, accessibility for understanding, clarity of presentation.

"The collection is intended for servicemen of the RF Armed Forces participating in a special military operation in Ukraine, conscripts, cadets of military educational institutions, employees of various law enforcement agencies.
"

I haven't read it yet, but it will be an interesting and hopefully informative read.

swerve

Super Moderator
I posted a topo map a page or two ago and very briefly discussed why Bakhmut does not have advantage in topography.

The elevation change between Bakhmut and Chasiv Yar is about 130m over 15 km or so (some places shorter, of course).
A bit more (I was wrong about >200 - wrong point) & up & down, not a constant rise. It looks to be about 11 km in a straight line, centre to centre, & the increase in elevation is almost all in the first 7 km or so. The roads don't go straight, of course: they follow the lines of least resistance. That appears to make them rather exposed, so probably not the best lines of attack.

It’s not just open fields, which I didn’t say; but a lot of open fields, which I did say about the Bakhmut-Slavyansk-Kramatorsk way. It is basically 50 km of open area which would be very hard to defend (that, of course, goes both ways).
Yes, a lot of open fields - but they're criss-crossed by narrow valleys (some almost like gullies) which look quite steep-sided from above. I can see why they're not cultivated.

Larry_L

The Kraken GUR showing off their new toys. I was impressed with how quiet the new silencers are when used with subsonic ammunition. Many of the weapons they show have silencers available, but the subsonic ammo is not available for all of them. Still useful for not helping to give away your position, although the sonic crack is quite audable. He shows off many western weapons, but when he gets to showing his working weapon, it is a belt fed PKM Kalashinkov. He does have it tricked out with new sights for night and day.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
@KipPotapych I am given to understand that the Forum has a time limit on editing posts. Since it came in with the last software upgrade the Moderators aren't effected by it and we have no experience with it. I would suggest posting about it in the Suggestions and Feedback thread and @ both the Webmaster and Preceptor in your text. They should be able to help you. Sorry that I can't be of further assistance.

A video from Task & Purpose discussing why Russia continues to make the same mistakes. He suggests that there are to many factions involved and they don't pass on new knowledge because they all have political goals that they want to achieve. He also said that how the Russian Army undertakes its training is a major cause. Each oblast / region / nation is responsible for the recruitment and training of soldiers. He went on to say that there is no overall Federal Russian equivalent of the US Army TRADOC that "... recruits, trains, educates, develops and builds the Army; establishes standards, drives improvement, and leads change to ensure the Army can deter, fight ...", which really hampers their ability to pass on knowledge etc. If he's correct in this, it wold explain much of the problems.

He also posted a link to I live, I fight, I win! Rules of Life in War which he refers to in the video. It "... is a collection of recommendations based on the generalized experience of combatants in Afghanistan, the North Caucasus and Ukraine. The presentation is distinguished by a deep knowledge of the problem, brevity, accessibility for understanding, clarity of presentation.

"The collection is intended for servicemen of the RF Armed Forces participating in a special military operation in Ukraine, conscripts, cadets of military educational institutions, employees of various law enforcement agencies.
"

I haven't read it yet, but it will be an interesting and hopefully informative read.
It's not a bad read but my god is it an awful translation. If I have time, I'll try to make a better translation because this was just painful.

Report: a USA drone forced down by Russian Jets over the Black Sea in international waters. From CNN TV.

Art
Allegedly the Russian Su-27 collided with it. It's unclear what this looked like in practice, and whether the Russian jet survived.

Last edited:

FormerDirtDart

Report: a USA drone forced down by Russian Jets over the Black Sea in international waters. From CNN TV.

Art
posted about it the US general Defense thread

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update. Feb. 6th-8th

Kherson-Nikolaev-Odessa.

Russian downed a Ukrainian Leleka-100 UAV, Kherson region.

Ukrainian mobilization efforts in Odessa.

The North.

A downed Tu-143 UAV in Sumy region, it has typical Russian stars on the wings, but it very well could still be Ukrainian, such false markings are frequently seen on Ukrainian UAVs flown into Russia.

Ukrainian troops near the Belorussian border.

Kremenchug-Poltava.

Ukrainian mobilization efforts in Kremenchug.

Zaporozhye-Dnepropetrovsk.

Russian forces clearing Ukrainian trenches somewhere in Zaporozhye region.

Oskol Front.

Allegedly a Ukrainian mortar team getting hit near Kislovka.

Ukrainian infantry and vehicles getting hit by Russian fires near Kremennaya.

Ukrainian 2S1 getting hit by a Russian loitering munition, somewhere on the Krasniy Liman axis.

Combat footage out of Novoselkovskoe. We see a Russian T-90M taking out a BTR-4, followed by infantry combat.

A pair of Russian T-90Ms operating near Novoselkovskoe.

A Ukrainian pickup truck destroyed by a direct hit from a Russian mortar shell, near Krasniy Liman.

Russian forces crossed the Zherebets river near Kremennaya and apparently took a Ukrainian position.

An allegedly Ukrainian Tochka strike against Kremennaya hit a residential building.

Russian strikes against Kharkov. One of the targets was the aviation plant.

LDNR Front.

Allegedly a Russian ATGM strike on a moving Ukrainian tank near Soledar.

Wagner fighters in Artemovsk/Bakhmut. The fighting has shifted into the town itself.

Ukrainian BTR-4s near Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Apparently Ukrainian fighters in Artemovsk/Bakhmut claiming their btln has 7 people left in it.

Destroyed Ukrainian vehicles near Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Russian 132nd Motor-rifles, former DNR 3rd MRBde, dropping quadcopter munitions on a Ukrainian pickup truck.

132nd MRBde operating D-1 howitzers.

Allegedly a Ukrainian Shilka getting hit by an ATGM near Donetsk.

Battle damaged in Mar'inka.

Ugledar area, a Russian tank getting hit, another already knocked out, a third (T-90M?) possibly surviving, behind the knocked out tank.

Russian 155th MarBde T-80BVMs firing ATGMs through the barrel at allegedly Ukrainian BMPs. Two vehicles appear to get hit.

Russian 40th MarBde advancing near Ugledar. Note they're using MBT support and BMP-3 transports to deliver assault teams to a staging area.

Russian volunteers with their BMP-3 near Ugledar. I suspect this is Tigr btln operating with the 155th MarBde (volunteers, but on the payroll and de-facto part of the 155th Marines).

58th SpN btln, former DNR 3rd SpN btln, doing an ATGM launch against allegedly a Ukrainian armored car.

Russian CASEVAC and operations of the VDV 39th Medical Detachment in Lugansk region.

A gas main burns in Makeevka (Donetsk). Reason is unclear, though battle damage is the likely reason.

Shelling of Donetsk continues.

Russian rebuilding efforts in Mariupol'.

Russia.

Russian missile launchers in Belgorod region.

A Ukrainian Tu-143 downed on the approach to Moscow. They payload apparently included flechettes.

In Bryansk region apparently a team of 4 Ukrainian nationalists was killed after crossing the border armed into Russia. It's unclear what exactly their affiliation is with the Ukrainian armed forces. They were armed with SIG Sauer SMGs.

A train carrying S-60s somewhere in Russia. Presumably we will see them in action soon. With a proper mount and some gunner protection, they are a much better candidate for riding MT-LBs into battle.

Misc.

Ukrainian PzH-2000 firing a rocket-assisted shell, location and context unclear.

A downed or crashed Russian Su-35S somewhere in Ukraine that hasn't been spotted previously. This is likely an old occurrence only now coming to light.

Russian armored train, meant for technical reconnaissance and mineclearing operating in Ukraine.

Mobilization efforts in Ukraine continue.

The World.

Lithuania will deliver L-70 AAA to Ukraine.

Flights from Iran to Russia continue. Iran continues to be the only real supporter of Russia's war effort, unless those mythical DPRK munitions surface.

Bradley's being prepared for shipment to Ukraine out of North Carolina, USA.

The UK will apparently train both Ukrainian fighter pilots and marines. Details are scarce.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Please take with a grain of salt, we only have Russian sources, and the two don't even completely agree. However it appears that the village of Zaliznyanskoe west-north-west of Artemovsk/Bakhmut has fallen as part of the expansion of Russian positions there. Russian forces are also claiming additional gains in the north and south of the town. In the north we have photos of Wagner fighters inside the AZOM factory complex, taking photos in the same area where Zelensky took photos during his visit to the town. We also have a report of Wagner fighters approaching the road out of Khromovo west of the suburb. There is an unconfirmed report that Ukraine's 93rd Mech Bde left Khromovo, but Russian forces haven't entered it, due to heavy fires.

My personal opinion at this point is that Ukraine was lying when they repeatedly stated they intend to hold the town until the end and instead have been organizing a planned withdrawal in stages this entire time. Of course this could still turn out well for Russia, if they can threaten Chasov Yar with a push through Bogdanovka, but this is looking less likely. I even suspect the reinforcements we've seen are needed to establish the new front line. The town has effectively fallen.

Ukrainian soldiers posing with the ruins of the MiG monument on the western outskirts of Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Russian strikes on Konstantinovka, a major supply hub and reinforcements route for this fight.

Russian allegedly loitering munition strike on Ukrainian ammo storage somewhere on the Artemovsk/Bakhmut axis.

An allegedly Russian Su-24M getting downed near Artemovsk/Bakhmut, possibly operated by Wagner group. Confirmation is pending.

Ukrainian forces using improvised rafts to evacuate wounded across a destroyed crossing near Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

An interesting look at the road out of Artemovsk/Bakhmut. In the first video we have the BTR-4 laying down fire, while a van speeds by. Given the map above it's plausible the road is basically on the front lines, but not yet under such heavy fires that a single vehicle can't speed through with some luck. In the second video we see that same BTR-4 now destroyed.

Russian footage from inside Vostokmash, a factory part of the AZOM complex.

An allegedly Ukrainian officer from the 93rd Mech Bde is reporting significant artillery shell shortages, leading to situations where their unit is coming under tank fire, but they're unable to call artillery down on the enemy tank. According to this source ~75% of all reported targets don't get hit, artillery is instead conserved and only used to fire on Russian breakthroughs.

vikingatespam

@Feanor

Do you know what the Russians could possibly 400,000 new troops with? I've already seen pictures of 1950's armor in the frontlines and soldiers without guns. Even if Russia can manage 400,000 new soldiers, what could they equip them with considering how low they are on tanks and other weapons.
They can plan for anything they like, but given the need to recruit from prisons, I doubt they can get many volunteers art this point. If they got 400K, do they have the heavy equipment ? I have some doubts.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Feanor

Do you know what the Russians could possibly 400,000 new troops with? I've already seen pictures of 1950's armor in the frontlines and soldiers without guns. Even if Russia can manage 400,000 new soldiers, what could they equip them with considering how low they are on tanks and other weapons.

Russia should have plenty of vehicles in storage. The question is how long it will take to get those vehicles overhauled and into service. How many BTRs out of storage have even seen? Almost none? For 1950s armor on the front lines, can you provide an example? BMP-1s are out of the late 60s, and BTR-50s haven't been seen on the front lines yet (in fact we've seen one train with them, and one shot of one up close in some sort of garage). The T-62 was introduced in '61 but the T-62Ms we're seeing are an upgrade out of the 80s. And again production of armored vehicles in Russia is still ongoing including apparently MRAPs, as well as traditional IFVs, APCs, and improvised armored trucks.

They can plan for anything they like, but given the need to recruit from prisons, I doubt they can get many volunteers art this point. If they got 400K, do they have the heavy equipment ? I have some doubts.
It's a question of time and I suspect also pay. Over what length of time do they plan to recruit these 400k? The next year? Not likely. The next decade? Possibly. I tried following the link in the article but it didn't want to load the page.