The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unconfirmed: There are several pro-russian sources claiming that Russia has taken Liman or at least the part north of the railway and that between 300 and 600 Ucranian soldiers have surrendered. We need more independent reporting to confirm or disprove this claim.

EDIT: Ukranian sources also talk about russians storming liman:

To circle back on this, no evidence of mass surrender so far. Russian troops are reportedly inside Liman, and there are unconfirmed claims that Ukrainian forces in the town are cut off. This may lead to mass surrender in the future, but it doesn't look like this has already happened.

STURM

Like any war the facts will come out quite some time after the fightings done.
Decades after the end of WW1 & WW2 we're still learning new things. We're going to have to wait quite a bit for all the facts; especially given that Russia won't be forthcoming with them anytime soon and that the Ukraine will also be in no rush to provide all the facts on certain issues.

In addition to actual information of the fighting at an operational & tactical level; I'm very interested in the behind the scenes diplomacy and maneuvering in the run up to the invasion; what sort of advice/encouragement Zelensky was given from the outside; when and why Putin decided he had to invade in February; whether there were any lost opportunities for peace with both sides coming close to a mutual agreement [I'm reading a book on Afghanistan and the sad thing is that there were several chances for peace before and after the U.S. invaded but it was felt that there was no point talking to the Taliban] ; the opinion of the Russian military leadership on how things would pan out; etc.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

I just put this to hekp put at ease some claims that being put by a new poster on Russian Laser or any action to counter it. This article seems actually quoted what Russian official sources claim.

Even Russian sources that this Bulgarian defense article quote, clearly shown all their laser platform still in early stage of validations result. Everything still in trial base, thus this war also being uses by Russian as trial run for their systems just like they have done in Syria.

Laser systems for anti aerial or even anti satelites clearly still on theoritical realm and need further trials. Whether Russian system, US, Israel, China, or others, everything still in trial run as prove of concept. After all this is clearly still more or less unchartered ground.

So any claim of effectiveness on any laser systems on real military conflicts environment, at this moment clearly still on 'fan boys' claimants. Thus I applauded Moderators team to work fasts in putting down any of topics of this subject, before disrupting flows of any threads in this forums.

Thus just suggestion for any new members that want to talk on laser system effectiveness on real battle situations, create new thread on topic as "still on theoritical prove of concept" ground. If not mistaken a thread on this type matter also already exist before. Anyone that have interest on laser prove of concept can also add on that.

Please don't put talk on laser systems implementation in this war on this thread. Let this thread for information on what real happen in this war. Both sides already put much propaganda and fog of war information on this war already very thick from both sides.

Note:
This is also my last post on Russian laser system on this war environment. Again put it in here for once just to shown it is not worthty subject (yet) to discuss in this thread.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

Kherson-Nikolaev-Odessa.

Russian fighters in the trenches, Kherson region.

Zaporozhye-Dnepropetrovsk.

Energodar, there was an attempted assassination of the head of Russia's military-civil administration. He was wounded by an IED.

Russian flag has been raised in Melitopol'.

Kharkov-Sumy.

Impacts landing in Kharkov.

Destroyed Ukrainian vehicles by Tsirkuny.

Russian forces captured a Ukrainian BTR-4, Kharkov region.

Explosions in Merefe, near Kharkov.

A report out of Kharkov that Ukrainian officials are drafting people in the streets of Kharkov.

The Izyum Salient.

Russia captured more .50 cals in the Izyum Salient.

Forest fires burn around Liman.

Russian artillery firing on Liman.

There are social media reports that evacuation from Liman has become impossible for Ukraine. It's unclear whether this means civilians or military.

Rumors of POWs in Liman continue. Still no evidence.

LDNR Front.

The Artemovsk-Lisichansk road, to get an idea for the main supply route for Ukrainian forces in Severodonetsk area.

The bridge from Svetlodarsk to Artemovsk was blown by Ukrainian forces.

The Lisichansk oil refinery burns, likely after Russian strikes.

Battle damage from a Russian strike in Severodonetsk. The van was allegedly being used by Ukrainian forces.

There has been an explosion at the Uglegorskaya dam, near Svetlodarsk. Russian and Ukrainian sources are blaming each other.

Western weapons and munitions captured at Popasnaya.

Russian forces in Svetlodarsk. The town has fallen, likely because the position became untenable, as it's sandwiched between Gorlovka and Popasnaya.

Allegedly VDV heading through Popasnaya. If they really are VDV, note they're riding BMP-2s instead of their usual BMDs.

Mariupol'.

Russian EOD clearing the ruins of Azovstal'.

Russian EOD, outskirts of Mariupol'.

Russia.

Shelling of Tetkino, Kursk region, Russia.

Russian missile launches out of Belgorod region.

Misc.

Russian Msta-B battery, Ukraine. Location and context unclear.

Russian Buk-M3 operating in Ukraine, note the MANPADS companion SHORAD.

Russian Tor-M2 operating in Ukraine.

Apparently Russian Kabardinian volunteer fighters in Ukraine, lecturing Ukrainian POWs.

We have reports that a Brazilian btln will be formed in Ukraine's foreign legion.

Ukrainian fighters, presumably territorial defense, wearing an SS patch and posing with their rifles and a pickup truck.

Russia hauling away a captured Mi-2MSB.

Russian National Guard in Ukraine, location and context unclear.

Russian governor of Primorskoe region is in Ukraine again, visiting the front line.

Ukrainian technicals with Mk19 belt-fed grenade launchers.

Ukrainian territorial defense training with Soviet Maxim guns.

Ukrainian soldier attempting to make a DP-27 fire. The weapon apparently doesn't fire when the trigger is pulled but does fire when slapped on the disc.

NATO/EU.

Lloyd Austin says the Czech Republic supplied tanks, missile systems, and helos to Ukraine. The news here are the helos.

There are reports that Denmark is handing over Harpoon coastal AShM launchers and presumably missiles to Ukraine.

We have reports of French CAESAR howitzers in Ukraine.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
@Feanor I am going to contest the claims of SS insignia appearing on Ukrainian military uniforms. They are unsubstantiated and the socalled photographic "evidence" being posted from Russian sources are for all intents and purposes Russian propaganda. The photos could be photoshopped by anyone with the skills to use basic image software. With all the imagery coming out of the Ukraine the only images that are seen of Ukrainian military with Nazi imagery are from Russian sources and that makes it immediately highly suspect given the Russian claims of Ukraine being full of Nazis. I do not think that this forum is the place for such propaganda. That is my personal view as an individual.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This is the ISW assessment for 24/5/22. Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment, May 24 | Institute for the Study of War (understandingwar.org)

The main points are:
  • Russian forces have likely abandoned efforts to encircle large Ukrainian formations in eastern Ukraine and are instead attempting to secure smaller encirclements and focus on Severodonetsk.
  • This change in the Russian approach is enabling gradual advances—but at the cost of abandoning several intended lines of advance and abandoning the Kremlin’s intended deep encirclement of Ukrainian forces in eastern Ukraine.
  • Ukrainian forces are likely conducting a controlled withdrawal southwest of Popasna near Bakhmut to protect Ukrainian supply lines against Russian offensives in the southeast of Bakhmut.
  • Russian occupation authorities in Mariupol announced that they will hold war crimes trials against Ukrainian soldiers in Mariupol in a likely effort to strengthen judicial control of the city and support false Kremlin narratives of Ukrainian crimes.
  • Russian forces are attempting to retake Ternova in northern Kharkiv Oblast and seek to stabilize defensive positions near the Russian border against the Ukrainian counteroffensive.
  • Russian forces are forming reserves and deploying S-400 missile systems in northwest Crimea to reinforce the southern axis.
  • Several DNR servicemen openly released a video appeal to DNR leader Denis Pushilin stating they have been forced into combat operations without proper support, indicating increasing demoralization among Russian and proxy forces.
1653483672288.png

The article has far greater detail and lists its sources.

Ed Nash has done a video of the weapons sent so far to Ukraine.

Apparently a 63 year old retired Russian Maj General who should've had the call sign "Maverick" (from Top Gun movie) has been shot down over Ukraine flying a Su-25 Frogfoot in combat. 63-Year-Old Retired Russian Fighter Pilot Shot Down In Su-25 Over Ukraine (thedrive.com) Maj. Gen. Kanamat Botashev was a hot dog who broke the rules and was accused of crashing a Su-27 in June of 2012 during unauthorised flight manoeuvres. He had a similar incident a year earlier.

There are also reports of the first Switchblade attack on a Russian tank. Watch This Switchblade Suicide Drone Attack A Russian Tank In Ukraine (thedrive.com). In this case it was the -300 variant which isn't the anti armour variant and the attack was designed to take out the crew who were outside of the tank drinking alcohol. They won't be doing that again.

@Feanor I am going to contest the claims of SS insignia appearing on Ukrainian military uniforms. They are unsubstantiated and the socalled photographic "evidence" being posted from Russian sources are for all intents and purposes Russian propaganda. The photos could be photoshopped by anyone with the skills to use basic image software. With all the imagery coming out of the Ukraine the only images that are seen of Ukrainian military with Nazi imagery are from Russian sources and that makes it immediately highly suspect given the Russian claims of Ukraine being full of Nazis. I do not think that this forum is the place for such propaganda. That is my personal view as an individual.
It's a very low resolution image. I downloaded the embedded jpeg and got this:

white darth vader helmet.jpg

I could as easily be convinced it's a patch showing a white "Darth Vader" helmet as an SS insignia?

STURM

I could as easily be convinced it's a patch showing a white "Darth Vader" helmet as an SS insignia?
The skull was first used during the time of Frederick The Great. It was a Prussian insignia used by a number of units including the Hussars. Was worn by a number of units in WW1 [if I'm not mistaken the Sturmtruppen used it] and also later by some Freikorps units [some of which were former Sturmtruppen]. When the Panzerwaffe was formed in the 1930's the skull became part of its insignia and was only adopted by the SS at a later stage prior to the outbreak of war. There was also a non Panzerwaffe Heer unit [I forgot which] which had the skull as authorised insignia on visor caps.

STURM

The Ukrainians have organised a display of destroyed/captured Russian equipment in Kiev.

The Ukrainian public is very optimistic and it's been mentioned that as part of any peace deal Zelensky would be unable to agree to Russia keeping any real estate it seized. Some Ukrainians are even talking about regaining the Crimea; for all their sakes lets hope that things don't take an unexpected turn on the battlefield. Russia is weaker than it was but it's still trying to maintain the momentum and it's far from defeated.

Let's also hope that the invasion will not eventually lead to hostilities between Russia and NATO.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean, there was that photo posted by Zelenskiy of a Ukrainian artilleryman wearing a Toten Kopf patch... there's just too many of these for them to all be fakes. And they don't all come from Russian sources. There's a persistent pattern of Ukrainian soldiers and paramilitary wearing various far right symbols. Here's one that NATO accidentally publicized, and then promptly deleted:

It's a very low resolution image. I downloaded the embedded jpeg and got this:

View attachment 49371

Sure, except it's part of a pattern and looks an awful lot like this:

Note that photo is quite old but shows then president Poroshenko visiting a Ukrainian airmobile unit. I haven't been posting various materials related to Ukrainian service members sporting right wing extremist symbols, because frankly I didn't see the value in it and assumed that it was generally understood that this is an issue. But since there seems to be doubt I'll take some time this week and dig up as much as I reasonably can.

Last edited:

kefalo84

Kamikaze drone hitting a squad of soldiers. The poster claims to be a Russian drone, but I had no idea Russians possessed that technology. I know Ukraine was donated kamikaze drones, so take it for what you want. The footage is brutal, however.

Unknown location/date - but I haven’t seen the footage so far anywhere else.

EDIT: This is a rough translation I found for that video.
“The work of the MTR of Russia to prevent an attempted breakthrough in the village of Pavlovka, near the Donetsk region. May 8, 2022. The blow was delivered with the help of the Cube kamikaze UAV, objective control is carried out with the ZALA UAV, the enemy’s losses amounted to 9 people.

Subsequently, the Ukrainian side was driven out of the village. The number of the enemy during the offensive attempt was up to 150 people from volunteer battalions.”

Edit2: Drone footage of combat. Apparently atgm strike. Unknown date/location.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kamikaze drone hitting a squad of soldiers. The poster claims to be a Russian drone, but I had no idea Russians possessed that technology. I know Ukraine was donated kamikaze drones, so take it for what you want. The footage is brutal, however.

Unknown location/date - but I haven’t seen the footage so far anywhere else.

EDIT: This is a rough translation I found for that video.
“The work of the MTR of Russia to prevent an attempted breakthrough in the village of Pavlovka, near the Donetsk region. May 8, 2022. The blow was delivered with the help of the Cube kamikaze UAV, objective control is carried out with the ZALA UAV, the enemy’s losses amounted to 9 people.

Subsequently, the Ukrainian side was driven out of the village. The number of the enemy during the offensive attempt was up to 150 people from volunteer battalions.”

Edit2: Drone footage of combat. Apparently atgm strike. Unknown date/location.

Russia has been confirmed using Kub loitering munitions on multiple occasions in this war. Lancet 1 and 3 variants also exist thought we haven't seen them used in Ukraine. A quick look at what it is.

kefalo84

I’ve seen this video on multiple channels claiming it’s Ukrainians leaving the city of “Krasnyi Lyman”.

Edit:

The makeshift morgue in Azovstal allegedly containing 200 bodies.

kefalo84

@Feanor - I have some questions for you if you don’t mind. And also for anybody else who feels they can offer a good explanation.

Have you seen any footage of Russian strategic bombers? I’ve seen only dropping bombs on Azovstal, but I have not seen Russia use them in Donbas.

Would one attempt to use those bombers in this type of conflict? I’ve only seen footage of SU-25s in action.
Why doesn’t Russia commit better Air Force, or at least what appears to be a better air force on the paper?? I cannot confirm how much air support is helping the Russians advance. From what I can see, it’s all done using artillery, or it gives that perception.

kefalo84

Impressive combat footage recorded by a drone.

I don’t know the exact location or the date. Translation says it’s

“Assault on the "Comb" stronghold, on the way to the "29th checkpoint" by the forces of the reconnaissance platoon of the 1st motorized rifle battalion of the 4th separate motorized rifle brigade of the NM LPR.”

It’s one of the craziest footages I’ve ever seen.

Edit: another translation of the same footage.

“Clearing the enemy's stronghold in the area of the 29th checkpoint. The end of March / beginning of April somewhere.
At the beginning of the video you can see how a Ukrainian soldier attacks our stormtroopers occupying the trenches with sad consequences. Well and further already fight in trenches in style of the 1st and 2nd world wars.
A remarkable moment is when one of the soldiers is thrown grenades and he throws them out, but in the end there were a lot of grenades and he got shrapnel.”

Ukrainian team ambushed next to a damaged T-72. Translated:

“Ukrainian servicemen who came to the T-72B3 tank that had blown up on a mine were ambushed. Draws attention to the survivability of the chassis, which lost only the first roller”

Last edited:
The skull was first used during the time of Frederick The Great. It was a Prussian insignia used by a number of units including the Hussars. Was worn by a number of units in WW1 [if I'm not mistaken the Sturmtruppen used it] and also later by some Freikorps units [some of which were former Sturmtruppen]. When the Panzerwaffe was formed in the 1930's the skull became part of its insignia and was only adopted by the SS at a later stage prior to the outbreak of war. There was also a non Panzerwaffe Heer unit [I forgot which] which had the skull as authorised insignia on visor caps.
I mean, there was that photo posted by Zelenskiy of a Ukrainian artilleryman wearing a Toten Kopf patch... there's just too many of these for them to all be fakes. And they don't all come from Russian sources. There's a persistent pattern of Ukrainian soldiers and paramilitary wearing various far right symbols. Here's one that NATO accidentally publicized, and then promptly deleted:

Note that photo is quite old but shows then president Poroshenko visiting a Ukrainian airmobile unit. I haven't been posting various materials related to Ukrainian service members sporting right wing extremist symbols, because frankly I didn't see the value in it and assumed that it was generally understood that this is an issue. But since there seems to be doubt I'll take some time this week and dig up as much as I reasonably can.
Thanks both - today I learned a bit more about nasty insignia.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Thanks @Feanor I stand corrected.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Institute for Study of War Assessment for 25/5/22. Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment, May 25 | Institute for the Study of War (understandingwar.org)

Main points:
  1. Russian forces prioritized advances east and west of Popasna in order to cut Ukrainian ground lines of communication (GLOCs) southwest of Severodonetsk and complete encirclement efforts in Luhansk Oblast.
  2. Russian forces have likely entered Lyman and may use this foothold to coordinate with advances southeast of Izyum to launch an offensive on Siversk.
  3. Russian forces may start the Battle of Severodonetsk prior to completely cutting off Ukrainian GLOCs southwest and northwest of Severodonetsk.
  4. Russian forces struck Zaporizhzhia City in an attempt to disrupt a key logistics hub for Ukrainian forces operating in the east.
1653551970788.png

Some pro-Russian milbloggers on Telegram continued to criticize the Kremlin for appalling treatment of forcefully mobilized Donetsk and Luhansk People’s Republics (DNR and LNR) servicemen–contradicting Russian information campaigns about progress of the Russian special military operation. Former Russian Federal Security Service officer Igor Girkin (also known by the alias Igor Strelkov) amplified a critique to his 360,000 followers from a smaller milblogger discussing a video wherein a DNR battalion appealed to DNR Head Denis Pushilin about maltreatment of forcefully mobilized forces.[1] The milblogger blamed Russian leadership, not Pushilin, for beginning the invasion with insufficient reserves and unprepared, forcefully mobilized forces. The milblogger added that Russia did not provide the soldiers of its proxy republics with new weapons, despite claiming that Ukrainian forces prepared to attack occupied Donbas areas for a year prior to Russian invasion. The milblogger also claimed that the Kremlin failed to mobilize and adequately prepare the next batch of reserves, while Ukrainian forces are successfully preparing their troops for counteroffensives. Girkin also criticized the Kremlin for failing to pay the DNR battalion for three months. Some milbloggers claimed that Ukrainian forces staged the video, but the video still gathered attention of pro-Russian Telegram users.[2]

The incident highlights a continuing shift in the Russian-language milblogger information space regardless of the video’s authenticity. Milbloggers would likely have either attacked or dismissed such a video loudly and in near-unison earlier in the war, when they all generally focused on presenting optimistic pro-Russian and anti-Ukrainian narratives. The response to this video in the Russian-language milblogger space demonstrates the strong resonance anti-Kremlin narratives can now have. It is impossible to know what effect this change in this information space might have on general perceptions of the war in Russia, but it is one of the most visible and noteworthy inflections in the attitudes of previously strongly pro-Kremlin ostensibly independent Russian voices speaking to Russians that we have yet seen.

Today’s statement by DNR Militia Head Eduard Basurin explaining that Russian forces would focus on creating “smaller cauldrons” rather than on a single large encirclement is likely in part a response to a critique that surfaced both in the milblogger space and in the Russian Duma that Russian forces had failed to form and reduce “cauldrons” of the sort they used in 2014.[3] Basurin’s statement, along with other changes in the ways in which Russian officials have spoken about cauldrons and Russian operations in the east following those critiques suggest that the Russian and proxy leadership is sensitive to shifts in this information space.[4]

Russian forces are increasingly facing a deficiency in high-precision weaponry. The Ukrainian General Staff reported that due to an increasing lack of high-precision weapons Russian forces are seeking other methods of striking critical infrastructure and have intensified the use of aircraft to support offensives.[5] The Ukrainian Main Intelligence Directorate (GUR) noted that up to 60% of Russia’s high-precision stockpile has already been exhausted, which is consistent with previous reports by Western defense officials that Russian forces have been increasingly relying on “dumb bombs” because they are facing challenges replenishing their supplies of precision munitions in part due to sanctions targeting Russia’s defense-industrial production.[6] A lack of high-precision weapons will likely result in an increase in indiscriminate attacks on critical and civilian infrastructure.

The Kremlin is attempting to expand the pool of Russian passport-holders in occupied areas. Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree on May 25 that will simplify the procedure for obtaining a Russian passport within Kherson and Zaporizhia Oblasts.[7] This renewed campaign of so-called ”mass passportization” is occurring in occupied territories and likely represents an effort to set conditions for some sort of post-conflict political arrangement (the precise form of which Putin prefers remains unclear) through manipulating access to Russian citizenship.[8] Occupation authorities may additionally attempt to exploit this new decree to carry out covert mobilization in occupied areas, as having a Russian passport would make conscription-eligible residents of occupied territories subject to forced military service.

The Kremlin and Russian military commanders are introducing new regulations aimed at addressing the diminishing level of combat-ready reserves. The Russian State Duma and the Russian Federation Council passed a bill raising the maximum age for voluntary enlistment into the Russian military from 40 to 50.[9] Russian Telegram channels also reported that Russian leadership forced operational officers and commanders of the Russian Border Guards of southern Russian regions including Rostov Oblast and occupied Crimea to indefinitely cancel all summer vacations--a rather unsurprising step in light of the military situation in principle, but an indication of the next source of manpower to which Putin will apparently turn.[10] Russian Border Guards will reportedly deploy to training grounds for unspecified exercises in late May. The Ukrainian General Staff also reported that Russian forces are forming new reserve units within the Southern Military District.[11]

The full report is available at the link at the top, or as a pdf.