The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

Another map.

Kiev.

The building complex at the base of the TV tower in Kiev was hit by a Russian strike. There are reported photos of bodies, and a claim that the photos are fake. The site was allegedly being used by the SBU and by Ukraine's 72th PsyOps Warfare Center.

Ukrainian troops are commandeering private cars in allegedly Kiev.

Weapon distribution to territorial defense fighters in Kiev. Unclear if it's more controlled this time.

Around Kiev.

Post-battle footage from Brovary, Ukrainian troops appear to still control the town.

Battle damage in Borodyanka. There's heavy damage to the town.

A fuel storage facility in Belaya Tserkov' south of Kiev was hit.

There's unconfirmed info that the base of the 95th Para-Assault Bde Ukrainian, was hit by a Russian strike.

Kharkov-Sumy.

A fuel truck in Kharkov blew up, presumably Ukrainian.

A large explosion at Chuguev airport, near Kharkov.

Explosions at Saltovka, outskirts of Kharkov.

Shelling continues.

There are reports that Ukrainian MLRS in the center of Kharkov are shelling the outskirts of Kharkov.

Battle damage in Kharkov.

Kharkov aviation plant.

Tank officers academy in Kharkov.

The airforce academy in Kharkov got hit.

Kharkov city administration office, after the strike.

A pile of abandoned vehicles in Sumy region, the equipment appears to be Ukrainian. There are 3 BTR-80s, 1 BMP-1, an MT-LB, an Ural truck, and a command and control BTR. The cameraman says the vehicles are Russian, but I don't think so. There's no giant and gratuitous white tactical markings, and no Russian BMP-1s have been sighted this conflict (they're extremely rare, iirc literally two brigades in the Far East have them, and some of theirs are BMP-1AMs with the new turret). There is a small white marking on one of the APCs but it doesn't look the same.

There's a report of an unofficial prisoner exchange between Russian and Ukrainian forces near Sumy, of one Russian POW for 5 Ukrainians.

Kherson-Nikolaev-Odessa.

There's combat around the SBU building in the center of Kherson.

Explosions were heard at Chernobaevka airfield, Kherson.

Russian VDV in Kherson. They appear to be sweeping the city. They infantry is dispersed away from the IFVs, and the IFV turrets in some cases are pointing sideways, as they should, in anticipation of potential threats.

Russian troops at the Kherson train station.

Troops in Kherson, presumably Russian, but it's hard to make out.

Locals try to stop a Russian troop column in Nikolaevo, telling the soldiers to go home.

The command tower at the Kul'bakino airfield near Nikolaev was destroyed by Russia.

A Russian Pantsyr-1 got stuck near Nikolaev, was abandoned, and burned by locals.

The mayor of Nikolaev says Russian troops pulled back from the city.

A car with alleged Russian infiltrators shot up in Odessa, some reports indicate it was a cab and a passenger.

Old footage from the battle at Antonov Bridge.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zaporozhye-Dnepropetrovsk.

A key railbridge in Zaporozhye region was destroyed, cutting rail ties between north and south.

A SRBM fired out of Melitopol' towards Zaporozhye. This implies Russian Iskanders are inside Ukraine. It could also be a SAM.

Mariupol'.

Rebel troops have allegedly reached the outskirts of Mariupol'.

Allegedly destroyed Ukrainian positions near Volnovakha.

Battle damage in Volnovakha. A destroyed Ukrainian truck, allegedly.

There's unconfirmed info that the 53rd Mech Bde, Ukrainian, was defeated at Volnovakha.

Documents captured from the positions of the 36th Marine Bde near Mariupol'.

An un-detonated Tochka missile in Mariupol'. It's unclear what circumstances brought it there, it may have been a failed launch. As a reminder, Russia doesn't operate Tochkas anymore, and neither do the rebels (they never did). The markings on it indicate that it's a cluster-munition version of the Tochka.

LDNR Front.

Rebel MLRS firing, DNR area.

Shellings of Donetsk and Gorlovka continue.

Allegedly-presumably Russian jets over Donbas.

A captured Ukrainian T-64BV, location unknown. It's a mod'16 variant with thermals and new comms.

LNR forces captured two T-64BVs and one BTR-60PB at Shiroki village (not to be confused with the famous Shirokino village).

Russian aircraft supporting rebel troops.

Rebel fighters warming by a fire.

Children in Stanitsa Luganskaya, the little kid says he wants to speak Russian.

Rebel troops apparently captured a 2S1 howitzer at Stanitsa Luganskaya.

The West.

Two "coyotes" captured in L'vov that helped draft-age men sneak across the border into Poland.

Misc.

Allegedly a Ukrainian SpN base hit by a missile strike.

1) Alleged Ukrainian POWs from the 53rd Mech Bde.
2) Alleged Ukrainian POW from Zmeiniy Island.
3) Alleged Ukrainian POW, unit unknown.

The Ukrainian Su-27 from Romania has returned to Ukraine.

Lukashenko held a briefing where he showed his map of Russia's operation, ongoing and planned. If accurate and complete, Russia isn't taking western Ukraine.

A rebel colonel says that Ukraine has made no efforts to identify or establish contact with them regarding the status of Ukrainian POWs.

Ka-52s operating at night.

Footage of a Russian air defense column in Bryank, noteworthy because the BTRs and Tigr have K-1 ERA tiles mounted on the armor. They do appear to be mounted on additional armor plates, so perhaps it's not as silly as it looks.

A destroyed Russian Tigr-M, a abandoned Lynx, and what looks like a destroyed Lynx.

1)A T-72B3M abandoned, location unknown. Locals are adding graffiti.
2-3)An abandoned Tor, unclear whose, presumably Russian.
4) Two T-72B3Ms abandoned. Locals are looting them.

Russian troops in Belgorod region.

A list of 6 Russian KIA in Ukraine.

OSCE is leaving the conflict zone.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Lukashenko held a briefing where he showed his map of Russia's operation, ongoing and planned. If accurate and complete, Russia isn't taking western Ukraine.

Thanks @Feanor on showing that. For me it seems also confirming the Russian aim to not bother Western Ukraine. That at least if this true, confirm market analyst prediction.

Capt. Ironpants

Zaporozhye-Dnepropetrovsk.

A key railbridge in Zaporozhye region was destroyed, cutting rail ties between north and south.

A SRBM fired out of Melitopol' towards Zaporozhye. This implies Russian Iskanders are inside Ukraine. It could also be a SAM.

Mariupol'.

Rebel troops have allegedly reached the outskirts of Mariupol'.

Allegedly destroyed Ukrainian positions near Volnovakha.

Battle damage in Volnovakha. A destroyed Ukrainian truck, allegedly.

There's unconfirmed info that the 53rd Mech Bde, Ukrainian, was defeated at Volnovakha.

Documents captured from the positions of the 36th Marine Bde near Mariupol'.

An un-detonated Tochka missile in Mariupol'. It's unclear what circumstances brought it there, it may have been a failed launch. As a reminder, Russia doesn't operate Tochkas anymore, and neither do the rebels (they never did). The markings on it indicate that it's a cluster-munition version of the Tochka.

LDNR Front.

Rebel MLRS firing, DNR area.

Shellings of Donetsk and Gorlovka continue.

Allegedly-presumably Russian jets over Donbas.

A captured Ukrainian T-64BV, location unknown. It's a mod'16 variant with thermals and new comms.

LNR forces captured two T-64BVs and one BTR-60PB at Shiroki village (not to be confused with the famous Shirokino village).

Russian aircraft supporting rebel troops.

Rebel fighters warming by a fire.

Children in Stanitsa Luganskaya, the little kid says he wants to speak Russian.

Rebel troops apparently captured a 2S1 howitzer at Stanitsa Luganskaya.

The West.

Two "coyotes" captured in L'vov that helped draft-age men sneak across the border into Poland.

Misc.

Allegedly a Ukrainian SpN base hit by a missile strike.

1) Alleged Ukrainian POWs from the 53rd Mech Bde.
2) Alleged Ukrainian POW from Zmeiniy Island.
3) Alleged Ukrainian POW, unit unknown.

The Ukrainian Su-27 from Romania has returned to Ukraine.

A rebel colonel says that Ukraine has made no efforts to identify or establish contact with them regarding the status of Ukrainian POWs.

Ka-52s operating at night.

Footage of a Russian air defense column in Bryank, noteworthy because the BTRs and Tigr have K-1 ERA tiles mounted on the armor. They do appear to be mounted on additional armor plates, so perhaps it's not as silly as it looks.

A destroyed Russian Tigr-M, a abandoned Lynx, and what looks like a destroyed Lynx.

1)A T-72B3M abandoned, location unknown. Locals are adding graffiti.
2-3)An abandoned Tor, unclear whose, presumably Russian.
4) Two T-72B3Ms abandoned. Locals are looting them.

Russian troops in Belgorod region.

A list of 6 Russian KIA in Ukraine.

OSCE is leaving the conflict zone.

I have a question about Lukashenko's map. It does not look like any invasion map I have ever seen, but then I'm just a civvie. The context is a Russian Iskandr missile strike on Zhytomyr launched from Belarus (two days ago, I think, not sure). Video here:

My sense was the four areas delineated on the map are Ukrainian military theater commands or command districts or whatever you call them (in the UN, they'd be called sectors). It makes sense they would actually be Russian sectors (or whatever you call them), given this is Luk's map, but ... I am confused. I'm also trying to figure out why he would be showing such a map on TV if it is their actual invasion map.

And what's with the swoosh toward the border with Transdniestria?

Thank you again for all you do and these excellent updates. Poor, poor Borodyanka. Heartbreaking.

JGCAC

My sense was the four areas delineated on the map are Ukrainian military theater commands or command districts or whatever you call them
This was exactly my first thought. Though I think Ukraine has three military districts, not four?

A possible amphibious landing near Odessa and linking up with Russian forces in the Transdnister?

IHFP

I have a question about Lukashenko's map. It does not look like any invasion map I have ever seen, but then I'm just a civvie. The context is a Russian Iskandr missile strike on Zhytomyr launched from Belarus (two days ago, I think, not sure). Video here:

My sense was the four areas delineated on the map are Ukrainian military theater commands or command districts or whatever you call them (in the UN, they'd be called sectors). It makes sense they would actually be Russian sectors (or whatever you call them), given this is Luk's map, but ... I am confused. I'm also trying to figure out why he would be showing such a map on TV if it is their actual invasion map.

Thank you again for all you do and these excellent updates. Poor, poor Borodyanka. Heartbreaking.
I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. Just a Canadian who has done a little homework. On the map in the forementioned video that Lukashenko is pointing at I noticed the symbol for U.S. Army 1st Cavalry Division. Can anyone make out the text around said symbol? I wonder why they have a crest of a N.A.T.O. member on their map.

Capt. Ironpants

This was exactly my first thought. Though I think Ukraine has three military districts, not four?

A possible amphibious landing near Odessa and linking up with Russian forces in the Transdnister?
Yes, linking up with the troops in Transdnietria was my initial thought, but why get a special "swoosh" if they are planning to snag Odessa Oblast? The other swooshes don't ... (sigh) ... maybe I just find those swoosh things confusing.

I just tried to find a better picture of the map online and the media headlines are hilarious! Now Putin is "going to invade Moldova" and Lukashenko "blatantly stands in front of a battle map on live TV".

Capt. Ironpants

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. Just a Canadian who has done a little homework. On the map in the forementioned video that Lukashenko is pointing at I noticed the symbol for U.S. Army 1st Cavalry Division. Can anyone make out the text around said symbol? I wonder why they have a crest of a N.A.T.O. member on their map.
Probably because some are on on their way to Europe to join Atlantic Resolve, replacing The Big Red One. I noticed right away the maps of Europe and US/Canada.We are the NATO enemy. EDIT: I didn't notice the date, they must already be there.

Ukrainian military is now saying a Fab-500 hit a residential area in Kharkiv leaving a huge crater. If true, it appears to have landed in a grassy area, no casualties.

Could be true:

Last edited:

Bob53

Misc.

Someone throwing a Molotov cocktail at a Russian army vehicle.

Footage of Russian aircraft operating over Ukraine.

A downed helo, location and identification unknown. It might be an Mi-28, based on that large grey bulb seen around the 35-40 second mark.

An abandoned, loaded, BM-21 Grad. It's unclear whose, it might be Russian based on the paint scheme.

More footage of captured missiles, including the same photos of the NLAWs, a RK-3 Corsair Ukrainian ATGM, and some unknown MANPADS (I can't identify them, maybe someone can).

An example of fake footage, of a destroyed Ukrainan KrAZ from 2014 being passed off as a Russian truck destroyed in the current fighting, by faking the Z marking on it.

A man being harassed on the streets of Ukraine for not being able to pronounce a word correctly. This is related to the hunt for Russia infiltrators.

A bus shot up in Ukraine, location unknown. Both sides are blaming each other but the license plate appears to be associated with Ukraine's MinDef.

The head of Russia's Kalmykia region confirms the death of a Russian sergeant from that region during the operation in Ukraine. I believe this is the first confirmed death we have. This doesn't mean there aren't casualties, just that information is either very restricted or unavailable.

A tractor in Ukraine towing a, likely Ukrainian, Osa.

Ukrainian BTRs destroyed and abandoned next to a Russian fuel truck. Location unknown.

A list of Ukrainian service members allegedly KIA.

Alleged Ukrainian POWs recording videos stating that they are prisoners, they're being treated well, and saying hi to their families.

The UK closes it's ports to all Russian ships.

A snapshot of shipping in the Black and Azov Seas around Crimea.

Your post is quite the opposite of the reports in the drive.com war zone which seems to be weighted to Ukraine successes.

from what I can see it looks like the battles in the north are not going as well for the Russians as the battles in the south. If the Russians were to create a land bridge from the crimea to to area north of the azov sea they would be very happy.

Bob53

I am not hearing any reports around the use of Russias much vaunted offensive EW capabilities, counter battery fire or drones?

Steinmetz

I am not hearing any reports around the use of Russias much vaunted offensive EW capabilities, counter battery fire or drones?
I'm sure they've used all three in limited capacity since day one and now they're using it in more capacity now. We just won't see that footage unless the Russian MoD releases info on it.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
The first few seconds of this video: A convoy of SU-57 fighter jets launching missiles at residential areas in Ukraine.This is so scary

The video looks like it may have been rotated from what I saw on Twitter a few days ago (that post has since been removed for violating Twitter's policies). But it's the same overall clip.
Yes, this appears to be from the Moscow airshow/flypast/parade from a few years back and it does seem to have been rotated.

Have a look at this video from 2020.

Big_Zucchini

I know this is sort of the ultimate question, but is there any chance for Ukraine right now to hold off Russia, at least away from Kiev?

STURM

My question is why are the Russians making for Kiev? Wouldn't it better to try to first isolate the city and take its surrounding areas? Ultimately; whether they want to take Kiev or isolate it; both options are very troop intensive. Even if they do reach the centre of Kiev; actually taking the whole city will take much longer and consume much more resources.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
My question is why are the Russians making for Kiev? Wouldn't it better to try to first isolate the city and take its surrounding areas? Ultimately; whether they want to take Kiev or isolate it; both options are very troop intensive. Even if they do reach the centre of Kiev; actually taking the whole city will take much longer and consume much more resources.
Logically yes. If they do not clear the surroundings they might find themselves besiged. But it's a big "might." By taking Kyiv they can topple the government and make things very complicated for Ukraine and its allies. Delaying it would keep on giving room to Kyiv to rally for support both within Ukraine and outside of it.

STURM

Yes but how fast can they actually take Kiev and do they have sufficient resources? The biggest danger is getting bogged down in a protracted urban fight. As it is they're already behind schedule. Also, even if Kiev falls the Ukrainian political leadership can operate from another city or town. It's not as if the loss of Kiev will have a major impact on the Ukraine's ability to continue resisting.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I was listening to a radio show this morning that commented on the long meeting table Putin uses and the fact nobody is allowed near him. COVID fears or fear of something else, Ides of March perhaps?

Vivendi

From CNN live feed Live updates: Russia invades Ukraine (cnn.com) :

A confrontation between Ukrainian civilians and Russian forces in the town of Konotop ended with a defiant message from the town's mayor and — according to the Ukrainian side — an agreement to preserve peace.

Konotop is a small town in the northeastern region of Sumy.

Social media video verified by CNN shows a Russian delegation emerging from city hall to be confronted by an angry crowd. One of the Russians appears to hold up two hand grenades as he returns to his vehicle, while onlookers shout abuse and jostle the Russians, chanting "shame."

His vehicle and a Russian infantry fighting vehicle then left.

The Sumy regional authorities reported that “in Konotop, the invaders came to negotiate with city authorities. According to Mayor Artem Semenikhin, the Russian military came out and told him to surrender the city. They threatened to fire artillery on the city.”

But the mayor “explicitly defied threats,” the authorities said.

Video of the mayor addressing a crowd showed him saying: “They are giving me these terms now: If we start resisting, they will shell the city with artillery. If you vote for it, we will fight back! Who votes to fight back?”
There is a shout of approval, while some in the crowd said women and children should be evacuated.

“I'm voting for fighting back. But the decision has to be taken by everyone, because the artillery is aimed at us,” he said.

Later, Dmytro Zhyvytsky, head of Sumy region military administration, said an arrangement had been reached with the Russians.

“The conversation between my representative from the military administration and Russians in Konotop lasted about 12 minutes,” Zhyvytsky said.

“The agreement is as follows: There can be no question of any change of government. They are interested in law and order. There won’t be any movement of troops. The Ukrainian flag is in its place,” he said.
“There is an agreement that we will not shoot and there will be no mutual provocations. They remain in their positions. Unobstructed passage of public transport and services, ambulances, vehicles with food, humanitarian goods will be provided,” he continued.
“To ensure security in the city and control, our volunteers will additionally build checkpoints in Konotop,” he said.
Quite astonishing if true. Has this been verified by other sources? If this really happened it clearly shows that many Russian soldiers are not very comfortable with this war against their "Ukranian brothers" and how it's conducted.

Ranger25

Staff member
I know this is sort of the ultimate question, but is there any chance for Ukraine right now to hold off Russia, at least away from Kiev?

Good question. I think given the weight of the Russian force and dwindling supplies on the the Ukraine side its easy to assume its only a matter of time. but.

Given the ferocity of the Ukrainian Defensive effort and the slow progress of the Russian forces one has to wonder if a truce could result

What we dont know is what are the goals of the Russian Invasion?
To secure the integrity of the two breakaway regions?
To take eastern Ukraine say from the Dneiper east?
Or to topple the Government and install a Russian puppet regime similar to Belarus?

What i do suspect is the longer the Ukraine can hold on and inflict growing casualties on the VDV the greater chance of a cease fire.