The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there any information on the effectiveness of the anti drone technology Saniya attached to Russian tanks there have been some footage of drones losing signal when close on their attack runs
Part of the problem is that drones can operate on many different frequencies, making a one-size-fits-all solution problematic. Presumably you could set up a receiving antenna, a computer on-board to figure out the frequency, and the jam that, but then you run into energy requirements that Soviet MBTs can't make. The T-90M can since it has an auxiliary power source, but you're getting complex and expensive. Saniya is apparently a Chinese system used by both Russia and Ukraine. Case in point, that Russian EW-tower tank had a separate generator on the exterior of the tank to power all those stations. Reportedly it was pretty effective at dropping Ukrainian FPV drones, until they used one with automatic target tracking.

At this point Russia is attaching Volnorez, Saniya, Lesochek, and anything else they can including buckets of various private party systems being developed and advertised. I think that the EW tank might point the way of things to come, instead of a small EW station on every tank, possibly the command tank kitted out with an EW mast carrying multiple systems and an auxiliary power source.

KipPotapych

^ The Ukrainian source for the same event and the tank in question:

Via Telegram translate:
A column of Russian armor entered. Our FPVs were dropping like flies at all frequencies because the main tank was riding a EW monster. "Mad Max" rests here. On the pallet, the Russians piled up a monstrous structure from everything there was. There are three panels of patch antennas 800/900/2.4/5.8 around the circle, and blocks for 700-1000 bands were added to all of this. From above on some boards, and in a circle. All this was tied with ropes. A generator and battery were also installed on the armor.

Of course, it was difficult for the pilots. But guess whether the REB tank saved the monster? Didn't save. Our valiant pilots from a number of units impressed him. It was easier with the rest of the column.

The event reportedly took place near Terny and the Azov captured the tank in question.

A shot of the jammers that were taken of the tank by the Ukrainians:

Here is another example:

KipPotapych

Re multiple destroyed Russian jets at various airbases the other day, it appears that nothing was hit at all, at least according to preliminary analysis by multiple sources. Here is one for reference (sorry, Twitter):

My personal observation as of late: even the most pro-Ukrainian twitter, telegram channels, etc, that I follow on regular or semi-regular basis, that often spread quite a bit of propaganda (unsubstantiated and often pretty crazy claims) started skipping the reports by the Ukrainians until some evidence shows up, which there isn’t any in the absolute majority of cases - in time proven to be false, in fact. It appears that someone is constantly lying and it even goes beyond the comfort level of the most staunch supporters and propagandists.

A reasonable person would think that for the lies to work, they have to make sense, first and foremost, no?

Most (all?) reputable western media outlets also stopped reporting these claims altogether. Not that I saw in a long while anyway.

Fredled

Update on the drone attack on the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant.
IAEA said:
After receiving information from the ZNPP about the drone attacks, the IAEA experts stationed at the site went to three affected locations. They were able to confirm the physical impact of the drone detonations, including at one of the site’s six reactor buildings where surveillance and communication equipment appeared to have been targeted. While they were at the roof of the reactor, unit 6, Russian troops engaged what appeared to be an approaching drone. This was followed by an explosion near the reactor building.

The IAEA team reported that they observed remnants of drones at this and two other impact locations at the site. At one of them, outside a laboratory, they saw blood stains next to a damaged military logistics vehicle, indicating at least one casualty.

The experts reported hearing explosions and rifle fire on the site throughout the day. Additionally, the IAEA team heard several rounds of outgoing artillery fire from near the plant.

While the team so far has not observed any structural damage to systems, structures, and components important to nuclear safety or security of the plant, they reported observing minor superficial scorching to the top of the reactor dome roof of Unit 6 and scoring of a concrete slab supporting the primary make-up water storage tanks.

“Although the damage at unit 6 has not compromised nuclear safety, this was a serious incident that had the potential to undermine the integrity of the reactor’s containment system,” Director General Grossi said.
And of course, Ukraine denies involvement...

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ The Ukrainian source for the same event and the tank in question:

Via Telegram translate:
A column of Russian armor entered. Our FPVs were dropping like flies at all frequencies because the main tank was riding a EW monster. "Mad Max" rests here. On the pallet, the Russians piled up a monstrous structure from everything there was. There are three panels of patch antennas 800/900/2.4/5.8 around the circle, and blocks for 700-1000 bands were added to all of this. From above on some boards, and in a circle. All this was tied with ropes. A generator and battery were also installed on the armor.

Of course, it was difficult for the pilots. But guess whether the REB tank saved the monster? Didn't save. Our valiant pilots from a number of units impressed him. It was easier with the rest of the column.

The event reportedly took place near Terny and the Azov captured the tank in question.

A shot of the jammers that were taken of the tank by the Ukrainians:

Here is another example:

I don't think this is the same thing. The EW-monster was a pile of different systems all jury-rigged to a generator. This is a much cleaner-looking system that looks designed. It's a single ring of EW-transmitters, rather then a giant pile of systems on top of systems.

KipPotapych

I don't think this is the same thing. The EW-monster was a pile of different systems all jury-rigged to a generator. This is a much cleaner-looking system that looks designed. It's a single ring of EW-transmitters, rather then a giant pile of systems on top of systems.
I think my post turned out to be a little confusing, haha. The tank from the VK post (second link in you post above) is the same as the one they talk about at the Ukrainian Telegram channels I cited (a bunch of stuff tied to the cage with a rope or a wire?). The pics attached are of a different tank and just another example of the “custom builds” and that one looks a lot more sophisticated at least visually; I have no idea about its functionality though.

Fredled

KipPotapych said:
It appears that someone is constantly lying and it even goes beyond the comfort level of the most staunch supporters and propagandists.

A reasonable person would think that for the lies to work, they have to make sense, first and foremost, no?

Most (all?) reputable western media outlets also stopped reporting these claims altogether. Not that I saw in a long while anyway.
I agree. Somebody is doing a disservice to the Ukrainian cause by spreading fake news. To sabotage the Ukrainian press service, they couldn't do it better. I even think that it's a possibility.

The Ukrainian spokepersons and Zenlensky sometimes say things that are not convincing or not very smart but they are not morons neither. They know that lying on something that could be easily proven false the next day would damage their reputation.
Note that not a single official has repeated these fake news. (At least AFAIK, I can't read everything all the time.)

I can understand that they lie on the strikes on the Zaporizha power plant or on Belgorod. I think that they have their own reasons to strike these illegitimate targets. But they have obvious reasons not to take responsibility for them. Even thought nobody is fool.

Inventing the destruction of Russian aircraft in their base is another thing. I start to think that their press center is not fully under their control and lack professionalism completely. One journalist wants to be the first to report some fantastic breaking news and we get these depressing rebuttals by free-lancers.

IMO, weapons delivery should be conditioned to professional reporting LOL.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. Somebody is doing a disservice to the Ukrainian cause by spreading fake news. To sabotage the Ukrainian press service, they couldn't do it better. I even think that it's a possibility.

The Ukrainian spokepersons and Zenlensky sometimes say things that are not convincing or not very smart but they are not morons neither. They know that lying on something that could be easily proven false the next day would damage their reputation.
Note that not a single official has repeated these fake news. (At least AFAIK, I can't read everything all the time.)
I think this is incorrect. Zelensky routinely lies in ways that are blatant and easily disprovable. He's made statements that even US press has crucified him for, on account the obvious lies. He's not alone in this. Ukrainian officialdom is not any better then their Russian counter-parts when it comes to veracity. Both are thoroughly unreliable and have been from the start.

seaspear

Some of the cope cages on the tanks reek of desperation but may indicate a classical history knowledge of the builders (just kidding)

Fredled

@Feanor I agree that Zelensky and co have grossly lied and are still lying regularly. But in this case, they didn't speak about the destroyed planes themselves. It was only anonymous sources. If you find an Ukrainian official who told about this publicly, then you can correct me.
They still have limits in their lies. Often, the prefer evading topics or tell more about opinions than facts.

Redshift

I think this is incorrect. Zelensky routinely lies in ways that are blatant and easily disprovable. He's made statements that even US press has crucified him for, on account the obvious lies. He's not alone in this. Ukrainian officialdom is not any better then their Russian counter-parts when it comes to veracity. Both are thoroughly unreliable and have been from the start.
This does not however generate an equivalence between the aggressor and the defender. Ukraine's lies are, in my opinion, far less important than Russia's. Ukraine may lie about WHAT it has done, Russia lies about WHY it is doing what it does.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
This does not however generate an equivalence between the aggressor and the defender. Ukraine's lies are, in my opinion, far less important than Russia's. Ukraine may lie about WHAT it has done, Russia lies about WHY it is doing what it does.
I partially agree, partially don't. I think Russia also lies about what it has done. I think that if we talk about the greater political motivation for the war, the distinction is mostly correct. However if you want to know the reality of what's going on, lies from both parties are a problem. Personally I want to know what is going on before making value judgements or forming a distinct opinion. Anyone who lies is a problem for that.

Some of the cope cages on the tanks reek of desperation but may indicate a classical history knowledge of the builders (just kidding)
For a long time people have debated why Russia doesn't hide it's aircraft in hangars or better yet hardened shelters to protect them. Now we know. It's because the tankers stole the hangars to use as tank cages.

EDIT: A brief story of the turtle tank. It apparently had a damaged turret rotating mechanism that wasn't readily repairable, so this was done. It was the lead tank in a recent attack from the east towards Krasnogorovka. Note sources seem to disagree about whether the attack succeeded or not, and there is some disagreement about Russia's withdrawal from the southern outskirts of the town. Personally I find suriyakmaps more credible, but figured I'd share both.

EDIT2: Weapon master also supports the interpretation that Russian forces have managed to enter Krasnogorovka as a result of the recent attack, citing video footage that shows Russian forces moving in the area. I will wait and see, Suriyakmaps and Rybar might be late on the update, since they often delay releasing information to confirm. Personally I still think Russia will need a northern pincer to move on Krasnogorovka, and given that Pervomayskoe appears to be either taken or about to be, this might be the right time for Russia to roll up to the town from the north.

Relevant bit starts at 3:52.

EDIT3: The turtle tank succeeded. Confirmation from suriyakmaps that Russia has grabbed a foothold in an eastern section of town. All hail the self-propelled hangar.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Using derogatory slurs against any nationality or ethnicity is against the forum rules. Post removed pending moderator discussion.

seaspear

When trying to understand the recent increase to Russia's male population of 500,000 on disability benefits ,I came across this study which does not suggest that the increase was a direct consequence of injury from the war
This earlier article from the Rand corporation suggests returned personnel will find some difficulty getting treatment for mental health concerns one reason noted was the law on discrediting the armed forces

KipPotapych

I can understand that they lie on the strikes on the Zaporizha power plant or on Belgorod. I think that they have their own reasons to strike these illegitimate targets. But they have obvious reasons not to take responsibility for them. Even thought nobody is fool.

Inventing the destruction of Russian aircraft in their base is another thing. I start to think that their press center is not fully under their control and lack professionalism completely. One journalist wants to be the first to report some fantastic breaking news and we get these depressing rebuttals by free-lancers.

IMO, weapons delivery should be conditioned to professional reporting LOL.
With this particular case, I don’t think they are doing a disservice, or not necessarily. For example, if you look at various comments following the posts/reports suggesting that likely no airframes (and airfields) were affected at all in this attack, you would find many along the lines of “that’s strange”, “quit spreading Russian propaganda”, “Russians must have moved in decoys in place of the destroyed jets for the satellite photos”, and other completely ridiculous stuff. They take what was said as a given and have been conditioned to see anything else that disagrees as Russian propaganda. It is rather amazing to me. In addition, there are a lot of people that are completely blind and refuse to apply even little critical thinking. Once these reports hit Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, and other social media, they create an eco chamber that has been shaped for a long while now by other numerous false reports of Russian incompetence (not that there is any lack of real incompetence on the Russian side) and misfortunes, such as fighting with shovels, low morale, almost ape-like strategy, etc. People eat it up and wait for second and third servings. Also, consider that a great number of individuals don’t even see the applied post-analysis that “debunks” the initial reports completely at most or cast a great deal of doubt at the very least; they only see the initial report of “great success”. Furthermore, it is intended to keep Ukraine issue at the top of the front page. This latter strategy is clearly backfiring now. After my post the other day, I googled the topic (in various ways) and found only one media outlet among my daily readers that reported on the subject citing the SBU sources. Even that skipped by me somehow (definitely wasn’t the front page material). But there still were reports by CNN, BBC, Business Insider, and a couple of others from the quick glance, all citing sources from the “Ukrainian secrete service”.

Now consider no such “great success” reports existed. What would the general public be seeing? Basically depressing stuff (depending on one’s emotional involvement) like failed counteroffensive, severe lack of manpower (but no lack of draft dodgers), an acute shortage of ammunition and equipment, low morale and despair within the ranks, constantly losing territory (often at an increasing pace), lack of proper defence lines, the existing lines are likely to collapse if nothing changes, gliding bombs erasing positions, very questionable prospects (including all, short, medium, and long term), and so on. The list is very long, really. There have to be some “victories” thrown in and that is exactly what they do. Personally, I do not see it as a particularly smart strategy, but their options are quite limited, so they stick with what they have.

Then, all the “twitters” and “glory to Ukraine” aside, there is internal audience that pretty much reads (some of) the same things but at a greatly reduced volume (due to self- and otherwise censoring), living with power outages, occasional drone or missile flying by, occasional (if not daily, depending on the location) explosions, visible growth of cemeteries, likely distinctly visible and increasing number of amputees or otherwise mutilated vets, “mobilization” with excessive use of force in the middle of the streets and other public spaces, and so on. Basically, they live what we read about. Of course, there is Zelensky with his nightly addresses, which are pretty bonkers more often than not. But that is about it for (still invented) positivity. There must be some “peremogas” - that is, victories in Ukrainian - and these reports are intended to provide just that. The attacks on the Russian refineries serve the exact same purpose: they do from very little to nothing at all for the Ukrainian effort to recapture the territory or, at least, stop or weaken the Russians. In all likelihood, they are, in fact, counterproductive. Not only these attacks increase anti-Ukrainian moods within the Russian society (this is a speculation on my part, but I doubt I am wrong), they also have a positive effect on the balance sheet of Russia via an increase in oil prices, and raise tensions with the Americans in particular. Via great unpopularity of significant hike of gasoline prices during the election cycle, which is always a very sensitive issue in the US and more so now while they (like mostly everyone else) are trying to keep inflation in check and hoping to reduce interest rates, these attacks are directly benefiting Trump and the Republicans and, hence, doing a great disservice to Ukraine itself. I am sure that the American policy makers also see these as an unnecessary and counterproductive escalation, which is why they expressed their concerns publicly numerous times now. Ukrainian decision makers figure otherwise though, so these will, I am sure, continue until Russia adapts, which it most certainly will. Daily shelling of Belgorod, Kursk, and other areas of Russia that pretty clearly (to me) lack any significance as far as war effort is concerned and have no military objectives serve the same purpose, which is poorly thought out (in this case internal) propaganda effort. I know many would disagree with that and that is fine. In this case internal simply because this shelling would not be ok with many within the international community, which is why there is no reporting on the subject, though this had become a daily occurrence. There are some mentions here and there, of course, usually a short paragraph within some article citing Russian officials. Note that when these same news organizations and journalists write an article that goes out of line with the Ukrainian statements, they are rather quickly accused by the very Ukrainians for pushing Russian propaganda and talking points. It’s insane, but it is also the way it is. I can clearly see lack of reporting for this very reason, but it is changing.

Anyway… This isn’t some mistake or a random outburst by an “anonymous source”, but a (poorly) planned and calculated propaganda efforts by the top Ukrainian officials within military and security departments. In my opinion, there is no better explanation for it.

The most amazing thing to me is that during interviews, when a representative, be it Budanov, Zelensky, Kuleba, etc, starts talking complete nonsense and really bizarre stuff, the interviewers don’t even blink and just nod their heads. Remember when Zelensky reached the culmination and stated in an interview to… NBC or CBS, if I recall correctly, that Russians cut babies’ (or was it children’s? pretty sure it was babies’) heads off? I haven’t seen anyone saying “wait a second…” about it. I mean it is what it is.

As for your last paragraph, media outlets report what is being told by the officials and anonymous sources. Professional outlets do not speculate wether it is true or not, they just report what was actually said officially or otherwise. This is, in part, what propaganda is based on: in other words, media does not have to be state controlled or even to be within the reach of one’s control for it to work. As long as there is some trust involved, of course, which Ukrainians have little to spare of, imo.

In the meantime, they, on Syrsky’s efforts, removed demobilization and rotation from the mobilization law in Ukraine. It only passed the first reading yet, but I doubt there will be changes in this regard. That was the most advertised part of the entire idea behind it, if anyone recalls. Ukrainian Pravda as a source:

Overall, I have no idea personally what the thought process is there. Let’s say they pass the law tomorrow. Is there any reasonable expectation that tens or hundreds of thousands would turn up voluntary? That is highly unlikely (like extremely unlikely), in my opinion. If the numbers do not turn up, how many “mobilizators” would they need to find these people and forcefully bring them in? Quite many, I would think. Then, let’s say that the numbers do turn up, voluntarily or otherwise. What are they planning to equip them with, assuming they find money to pay them to begin with? Then they talk about the upcoming great Russian offensive within the next 2-4 months, which I am not sure about personally (@Feanor, are there any indicators that this is going to take place?). How are they planning to train this newly mobilized personnel to have them ready in time for that offensive? While they obviously need men, there are surely way more questions about the mobilization they are trying to push through (for months now)

Fredled

Xavier Tytelman (445K subscribers) French Pro-Ukrainian You Tube reporter was in Ukraine 2 weeks ago.
He is very pro-Ukrainian, he is involved in humanitarian and military aid to Ukraine (collecting donations and so on), he doesn;t conceal that one of his donation fund buys military products) so there is forcibly some bias in his reporting. Yet, as former French Navy pilot, he knows the topic.

My summary on what he said:
- Ukrainians see a decrease in the intensity and number of Russian assault since Putin was re-elected. Russians tried to make as much gain as possible prior the elections.
Now the Russians are still attacking, and the situation is still very difficult but less than prior the elections.

- Ukrainians withdraw from positions they can't hold without reasonable causalities. Inflict losses on Russians from defensive positions. (That's nothing new)

-Ukrainians don;t plan any counter-offensive before 2025. They lack the ressources and will focus on their line of defense until they receive more weapons and ammunitions from the West, namely F16's. (Meaning, they don;t expect the military aid to be enough until 2025).

-F16s will be useful to repel aerial attacks from Russia. F16's can carry many more different types of rockets and bombs than old Ukrainian Mig's can. Ukrainian Mig's are also too few. (number not provided). The main task for the F16's will be to intercept bomber carrying gliding bombs.

-Ammunition and armoured vehicle production inside Ukraine is ramping up.
Recent Russian missile strikes targeted almost exclusively energy networks (electricity) and power plants. But for some reasons didn't strike arm factories.

-Shell production in Europe just start increasing, in a very slow but exponential manner. But we are still at the beginning of the rise. This is because it takes 6 to 12 months to start new lines of production. But once the line of production is in place, everything goes faster.
Increasing production for missiles and plane takes much more time: 3 to 6 years. Because it takes a lot of time to prepare high precision mechanical parts. Sometimes months just to prepare the raw material. So nobody should expect an increase in European inventory for these types of weapons in Europe anytime soon.
For example, last year, France received 10 new Rafales from Dassault in the context of an order placed 5 years ago.

- France is very unlikely to send Rafales or Mirage 2000 to Ukraine because they are in such short number that it would compromise the French air force capability. Some jets could be brought back to Europe if the French exit Africa completely (we were talking about that on another thread). But there is no such a plan at this moment.

- Patriot systems in Poland didn't intercept the missile coming from Russia because it was out of range despite flying inside Poland for several minutes. The Patriot systems were located near big cities and were too far from the Ukrainian border. There is discussion about bringing some Patriot batteries near the border, following this event. Bit it was discussions only.
(on another article, I read that the Polish army doesn't operate Patriot system. These are operated by American and Canadian detachments. That's why they can;t donate them to Ukraine. It also probably complicate the process of moving them to other locations. Poland has still a lot of soviet era SAM's which they plan to give to Ukraine soon. [sic Duda])

- He has witnessed an Ukrainian kamikaze drone flying straight into an Orlan-10.

- Switchblade loitering ammunitions were ineffective because too noisy and to sensitive to EW interferrence. Russians can hear them coming and disable them easily. Today other and better systems are provided.

- AASM Hammer's are used with unexpected accuracy and effectiveness by the Ukrainian air force. France delivers 50 Hammer's each month.

- When he was sleeping at his hotel in Zaporizha, two S300 fell nearby, missing the hotel. The next night two cruise missiles hit the hotel just before he left. Russians regularly target hotels. Now he sleeps at guess houses.

KipPotapych said:
As for your last paragraph, media outlets report what is being told by the officials and anonymous sources. Professional outlets do not speculate whether it is true or not, they just report what was actually said officially or otherwise.
There is a big difference between social networks and the real world. Yet people tend to believe that social networks are the real world and to give it way too much importance.
In reality, the impact of social networks on political decisions is nihl.
If the goal is to influence social networks, it's effective but it doesn't go beyond that. Some Ukrainian services may be in charge of social network buzz but that's not their main battle horse.
Moreover, as you said, they preach only to their own parish.

If an article on an official website quote posts on X/Twitter or Instagaram, or other anonymous source, it's very unprofessional to say the least.
I haven't seen Ukrainian official telling blatant lies recently. Zelensky have told lies here and there, but overall, if you exclude detail intended to impress the audience, like Russians killing premature babies in maternal cares (plagiating Kuwait), his description of the situation is true. the devastation is real.
Everyone would prefer that he doesn't do that because it's not necessary. But it doesn't mean we are not going to support Ukraine's right to self defence because of a few words he shouldn't have said.

I disagree about the ineffectiveness of the attacks on Russian refineries and other targets deep inside Russia.
They are excellent psy ops. They also inflict costly damage. Not enough to change the course of the war, but quiet a annoyance for the facility.
I don;t think that the negative effect you are talking about are true. At some point, the Biden administration asked Ukraine not to hit the petroleum industry because it would cause higher gasoline price in the US before the elections.
IMO this is non-sens uttered by a very incompetent person. Ukrainian strike have no effect on international supplies, and practically none even on Russian internal supplies. The markets can react on the news. But it's a question of a few days or even hours.
If oil prices rise, it's for another reason.

The same for the attacks on Belgorod. It obliges the Russians to deploy precious air defence systems and teams in areas they didn't plan to.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The same for the attacks on Belgorod. Ot obliges the Russians to deploy precious air defence systems and teams in areas they didn't plan to.
It has now obligated Ukraine to evacuate dozens of villages of population due to the entire border area turning into a warzone. Ukraine has not only sacrificed the lives of Russian civilians, something they presumably don't care about given their recent behavior, but also the lives of their own. This mirrors their previous decision-making, like hiding troops near residential buildings, or refusing to let civilians exit Mariupol' when the city of besieged by Russia.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will try to make a detailed update today or tomorrow, but for now a quick recap. Russian forces are still advancing at mostly the same locales as before. Russia is starting to squeeze the Seversk Salient fairly consistently. The situation there is far from critical, but I suspect taking Seversk is now a distinct goal and a fairly likely one. The geography isn't that difficult, and the strategic value low, meaning Ukraine may choose to not hold it nearly as tightly as other areas. In Chasov Yar Russia has entered the very edge of the eastern outskirts and is currently engaged there, but hasn't managed to gain more ground so far. Instead they're focusing on interdiction to try and prevent troop rotations for the Canal neighborhood. In the meantime they're pushing on the flanks north and south of the town. The flank attacks will probably have to succeed before they can cross the canal into Chasov Yar proper. Around Avdeevka Russian forces are continuing to attack in basically all directions. The biggest change is that now they're pushing northward. Around Mar'inka the fighting has focused on Krasnogorovka where fighting is happening in the brick factory. So far no movements from the northern side towards the town, so Ukraine's routes into the town for supplies and reserves are wide open. And in Novomihailovka it seems Ukraine is about to lose the village. Russian forces are advancing north, south, and inside the village. It's likely Paraskovievka won't hold Russia for long, it's the next village, and it's much smaller, which would open the fight for Konstantinovka, the village south of Donetsk not the town north of it.

Fredled

It has now obligated Ukraine to evacuate dozens of villages of population due to the entire border area turning into a warzone. Ukraine has not only sacrificed the lives of Russian civilians, something they presumably don't care about given their recent behavior, but also the lives of their own. This mirrors their previous decision-making, like hiding troops near residential buildings, or refusing to let civilians exit Mariupol' when the city of besieged by Russia.
I don't understand what you are talking about. Entire regions are turning into war zones because Russians are attacking. The region in Ukraine south of Belgorod has always been a war zone. The whole region from Sumy to Kupiansk has been under constant shelling since the invasion began. Russians are killing Ukrainians everyday. Why would Ukrainians care about Russian lives? War doesn't obey to the moral logic. Russians bombard Kharkiv. Ukrainians bombard Belgorod. This is the logic of war.
I forgot who said that, but it was a prominent western diplomat (Josep Borel or somebody of that tenure) who said about the Belgorod events that whatever happens, Russia bears the responsibility because they started it. If Ukraine fires rockets at downtown Belgorod and civilians died as a result, Russia is responsible for that because they started the conflict.
It's of course never a good thing to target civilians but the aggressor country is always the aggressor country. Putin withdraws his troop today and from tomorrow on about 300 lives are saved every day. Why doesn't he do that? About 300 persons die everyday (about 296 or 297 soldiers from both sides and 3 or 4 civilians from both sides but mostly Ukrainians). So nobody cares about a few casualties in Belgorod. Neither Ukrainians nor the Russians. Compared to the horror of the war brought by the Russians, rockets on Belgorod are a non event.
If the Russian leadership cared about people in Belgorod they would withdraw from Ukraine, stop bombing Ukrainian cities and seek peace. As simple as that.

I also don't understand what you mean by hiding troops near residential buildings. Should they leave their military hardware in open fields so that Russians can shoot at them more easily? Ukrainians has always asked resident to evacuate war zones. If people stay because they are waiting for the Russians, then it's already not their problem. And the same happens on the Russian side. You think Russians don't hide behind civilian houses?

When Mariupol was besieged, how could civilians leave the city? If they could, it wouldn't be called a siege. Russian didn't have to besiege Mariupol in the first place. They shouldn't have come to Ukraine at all. They shouldn't have shelled the city. They should have let people in peace.