The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

seaspear

This article goes into the costs to Russia of the defence spending increase e.g. health and education, certainly the more recent news reports of burst heating pipes in Moscow and elsewhere from poor maintenance rendering apartments covered in ice from the inside, if government spending on this war approaches 40 percent of budget spending ,at which point do the monetary surpluses and gold reserves of Russia run out and they need to borrow
Certainly this article suggests Russia may be in a position to confiscate in retaliation foreign reserves held in Russia

KipPotapych

I will not comment on everything in your two (long) posts I just want to highlight one important point: Russia has again, again, and again demonstrated that negotiating a "deal" with Russia is simply worthless -- unless the country that is entering into the "deal" with Russia can back it up with a substantial and deterrent force. Russia has a well-known tactic of asking for "cease fire", and/or "peace negotiations" when they believe it's to their advantage, only to then break the cease fire / peace agreement whenever it suits them. In other words, it's useless to try to "negotiate" with Russia unless either:

A. Ukraine has lost and must accept defeat
B. Russia finds itself in such a weak position vs. Ukraine + allies that Russia has to accept the terms of a peace agreement.

Ukrainians know the Russians better than most on this forum (me included) and I think they understand this better than most.

Ukraine also knows that it is fighting an existential threat. Russia intends to wipe Ukraine off the map, raping, torturing and/or murdering all who disagrees with becoming a part of the Russian empire. And, as you probably know, they even steal children. They are monsters and I hope Europe/US can offer sufficient long-term support to Ukraine to kick monsters out of Ukraine.

"Too many forget what Russian occupation means for the people living there. They are not just taking territory. They are cleansing Ukrainians citizens." Michael McFaul

I think I stated in my post that I am not talking about who can trust whom. Everything you said in the first paragraph can be said about Ukraine and had been discussed here ad nauseam, so I am not going to discuss this subject again. I mean if it helped to talk about it again, I would, but I do not believe this is the case because the same people keep posting the same thing over and over and I doubt that is going to change if we give it another go (haha). Like I said previously, Ukraine has a lot more to gain if a ceasefire were to take place and it has been the case for a long while now. I don’t believe Russia would agree to a ceasefire, but they would to something permanent. We know, however, that is not going to happen, hence the A) and B) from your post that I talked about in mine, no?

On the last paragraph I will only say that the fight itself puts an already questionable future existence of the state at a greater risk via the factors discussed in my post above and previously. Furthermore, it’s kind of a paradox, perhaps, but here the now perceived fight for existence puts the very existence into question. At this point, I believe, if something that can hold could be negotiated, Ukraine would be better off than keeping the fight going. In other words, Ukraine fought and won the existence (that was threatened by Russia) fight, but now they are threatening that very existence further by fighting for the landmass they lost because that is exactly what they are doing. There is very little to no chance that they can arm themselves in order to deter Russia, as you suggested, while the war goes on; at the same time, hammering down the economy, infrastructure, etc that will probably take decades to restore, if ever. Incidentally, there was an article at Politico (eu) yesterday on the related subject (a good read, I recommend):

Everything else you said in the last paragraph is emotion, which I completely understand because we are all human. However, it severely undermines reason and rationale.

Lastly, I would only cite McFaul if I am also citing, say, Volodin on the same subject in the same post. Here is another statement by McFaul from earlier today:

McCaul, a Ukraine supporter, said Congress ought to pass a supplemental in March to help Kyiv with its planned counteroffensive in April — and that he anticipates Johnson to work in that time frame.

From Bipartisan lawmakers unveil $66B military aid and border alternative. Underlining is mine. In his defense, he didn’t say which April, I guess.

Are you willing to consider that both sides bet on strategies that are not necessarily going to secure a quick and easy victory?
As it stands, in my opinion - both sides seem to rely on attrition, and with compelling cases for both.
This is something I want to tie for a second to the "peace" aspect - i.e. negotiations of any sort.

Why is it so attractive to both side and what factors are driving that decision making? Let's start with Russia:
1. Weapons start coming in from Iran, North Korea, and parts are secured from China as well. It doesn't seem like the flow is going to slow down.
2. Weapons development cooperation with said nations is also already impactful with strategic weapons of the early days already entering service in refined variants.
3. Western aid to Ukraine is slowing down and may just completely halt in the near future.
4. Assaults are costly but ultimately successful in that they add territory.
5. Propaganda efforts are effective and pressure to halt Ukraine aid is mounting in the US, which might evolve to lower financial aid as well, thus limiting Ukraine's own defense industrial capacity.
6. Local industrial capacity is in a constant state of improvement and supply chains get increasingly streamlined.

Now let's do Ukraine:
1. Russia keeps dipping into ancient strategic stocks and doesn't produce nearly enough brand new equipment and ammo. It's just a matter of time until it devolves to mostly light infantry with very limited support.
2. Local industry improves and provides capabilities at a faster rate than Russia's MIC, and with modern solutions provided by the west.
3. Slowly but surely the west also shapes Ukraine's armed forces into a modern and more capable force that ever increases its technological edge vs Russia.
4. Western aid could significantly ramp up or slow down. It's too late to tell but Ukraine can afford to wait.

Essentially it boils down to both Russia and Ukraine betting on a war of attrition, and each one thinks it'll outpace the other until a breakthrough is possible. When will that be? According to one OSINTer I follow - maybe 2026, and I agree with that.
For Ukraine it may be more of a gamble than it is for Russia, but now is too soon to fold.
Yes, absolutely. I also talked about it previously. And I completely agree that this is what is taking place. I do think that some of the factors you mentioned are not entirely accurate though. I may add to this post with another reply later on, but a few things of the top of my head.

While #4 for Russia is true, I do not believe it is preferable to a permanent resolution at this point, provided they get what they want. I do not believe additional territory matters as much at this point; at least not at the expense incurred. I’d have to give it more thought on this one. The presumed rate of attrition for both sides clearly plays a big role here and Russians are not bad at math (yes, ridiculous miscalculations have been made). Ultimately, to this point, they have to keep going due to lack of better alternatives.

For Ukraine, #1 is not necessarily true (see Larry’s post, for instance) and is very much dependent on what is available to Ukraine. For #2, while local industry may be improving, I do not have the data to suggest that it provides the capabilities at a higher rate than Russia’s MIC. Even if that is the case, starting points are important. That rate would have to be astronomically higher to show any measurable difference (the Black Sea Fleet sure took a hit and, imo, embarrassingly so). I do not believe it is feasible with the resources that the Ukrainians have at their disposal though. Frankly and importantly, Russia is many years ahead, at least at what matters at the frontline first and foremost. For #3, the technological edge is far from a given and adaptation matters. For example, a recent good article by Mick Ryan:

#4 is a quite a gamble (and did you mean “too early to tell”?) provided your survival depends on it and I do not think they have all the time in the world to wait either (simply due to internal factors that all work against them). Of course, I’d appreciate it if you provided the OSINTer you follow so I could read through thought process.

To the last point, I do not believe negotiations mean folding at all. Also, the grinder can keep going all the same while the lines of communication are open.

At the end of the day, like I already said, rational reasoning is very important. What holds more value to a country like Ukraine and the situation it is in? Is it land that Russia controls, preservation of the “gene pool”, economic development, improvement of life of the population, bringing back as many of those who emigrated as possible, and so on? I do not believe the task of returning the chunk of land they do not control is compatible with the rest of the list and I am not sure if many are really considering this aspect of the war.

The one thing that I cannot clearly see in my own analysis is the conditions of “peace” that would be acceptable to Russia. I will maybe expand on this later. Russia also has a shit tonne of their own internal problems to work out, including sustainability of this war in the longer run.

Perhaps, all roads lead to Rome though. In other words, this will continue until one crushes the other, or both are crushed enough to say that none of this makes any sense anymore.

KipPotapych

Warning: footage of corpses. A Russian video of the battlefield NE of Avdivka. A walk through a forest destroyed by fighting with the ground torn up by trenches, bunkers, and explosions.

This seems to be on par with what had been reported by the Ukrainian troops as well (see the WP or NYT, don’t remember, article in one of my previous posts). And as it applies to Avdiivka in particular:

Basically the same thing, “the road covered with our corpses”, etc. Some of the other reports from both RU and UA sources look even more grim. We will see what will be reported in a few days though when the smoke clears.

A weapons deal with Ecuador to provide Ukraine with Russian weapons leads Putin to cancel banana imports from that country. In return Ecuador gets American weapons. Probably a stopgap measure while funding is negotiated in the US House of Representatives.

The RU news are suggesting that Ecuador changed its mind and the banana business is back on track.

Jaykaro

This seems to be on par with what had been reported by the Ukrainian troops as well (see the WP or NYT, don’t remember, article in one of my previous posts). And as it applies to Avdiivka in particular:

Basically the same thing, “the road covered with our corpses”, etc. Some of the other reports from both RU and UA sources look even more grim. We will see what will be reported in a few days though when the smoke clears.

The RU news are suggesting that Ecuador changed its mind and the banana business is back on track.

This is a popular problem in Ukraine, since 2014 they have been delaying the withdrawal of troops for too long. Debaltsevo, Severodonetsk, Bakhmut, Avdiivka. Of course, there will be losses. At the same time, they have very weak reserve lines. But this still does not compare to Russia's losses (hundreds of videos, OSINT confirmed, show losses in equipment at a ratio of at least 1:3-4, and even that is compensated for by destroyed vehicles, UAVs, and boats. In technic, the ratio is 1:5+). Also, Z groups confirm colossal military losses. Wagner is finished in Bakhmut, with killed and wounded numbering close to 60 thousand. Near Avdiivka, soldiers are being destroyed in "meat attacks". And all this despite a huge advantage in aviation and the quantity of ammunition. As for negotiations, my opinion is this - if the F-16s are still not provided and they keep dragging their feet as the US is currently doing with ammunition, then of course it's worth going for negotiations; otherwise, Russian forces will wear down significantly faster. And on what guarantees to sign these ceasefires? What will change, unlike Ukraine, Russia has allies who give birth faster. And to make a respite for another year, when Russia again infiltrates agents, again discovers all the places of air defense, increases the production of thousands of missiles. And Ukraine will produce 6 MRL per month, and then wait for "a million" shells for another 2 years from the beginning of a new attack? The question is rhetorical

Regarding screenshots and corpses, similar ones can be found on the other side, where relatives tell parents that there are no survivors left in the company. But it is more rational to judge by the amount of destroyed technic.

Text from another snapchot:
Our channel has never expressed its position on the number of casualties in any operation.
But what is happening in Avdiivka right now is beyond our comprehension.
In the past day alone, over 1300 Russian servicemen have DIED.
Thousands are wounded, most of whom will not survive until morning. They simply won't have time to receive the necessary assistance because the flow of wounded does not stop.
The sheer volume of messages from relatives in the last few days is staggering

Attachments

Vivendi

I think I stated in my post that I am not talking about who can trust whom. Everything you said in the first paragraph can be said about Ukraine and had been discussed here ad nauseam, so I am not going to discuss this subject again.
I disagree. Ukraine don't have the same long and consistent history of breaking agreements. Russia is notorious for breaking agreements -- the previous version of the Russian empire (the USSR) did much of the same.
On the last paragraph I will only say that the fight itself puts an already questionable future existence of the state at a greater risk via the factors discussed in my post above and previously. Furthermore, it’s kind of a paradox, perhaps, but here the now perceived fight for existence puts the very existence into question.
It is terrible and disastrous what the Trump followers in the US Senate are doing right now. Hopefully they can reach a compromise soon and start shipping more military aid to Ukraine again. Not supporting Ukraine against Russia is not in the US interest, as many observers and analysts have pointed out.

In other news, both Germany and France have entered into bilateral long-term security agreements with Ukraine. France is now committing 3.1 billion Euro in military aid to Ukraine for 2024. The French agreement will run for 10 years, and ensures French military support during the 10-year period. Germany will support Ukraine for "as long as it takes".

Germany has announced a new 1.1billion Euro military support package that includes 36 self-propelled howitzers, 120,000 rounds of artillery ammunition, two Skynex air defense systems and additional missiles for the IRIS-T air defense system.

France signs security pact with Ukraine, pledges 'up to €3 billion' in additional military aid (france24.com)
Ukraine signs security pacts with Germany, France – POLITICO

The UK signed their long-term security agreement with Ukraine already in January. Canada and other G-7 countries are in the process of developing their own long-term security agreements with Ukraine. THhe Netherlands and the EU are also working on agreements. CBP-9837.pdf (parliament.uk)

Norwegian prime minister says that Norway is also working on a long-term security agreement with Ukraine. He expects the other Nordic countries to do the same. Norway has already committed to a 5-year support of Ukraine and this will no doubt be extended "for as long as it takes".
Jonas Gahr Støre, Ukraina | Støre: Norge vil om få uker undertegne sikkerhetsavtale med Ukraina (nettavisen.no)

If Ukraine has the will to fight, then they will in the end win. Right now it is tough due to lack of US support and European defense industry is still ramping up. However things will improve. Europe will not give up, and has much larger financial resources than Russia. The sooner Russia understands this and stop the invasion, the better. Both for Russia and for Ukraine.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update on Avdeevka.

It appears Avdeevka has truly fallen. Some Ukrainian forces are being taken prisoner inside the town, and some have escaped. Total numbers are unclear at this time Russian forces are also rapidly assaulting the chemical plant and seem to have taken the south and eastern sides of it. Russian forces have also resumed pushing towards Lastochkino and are reportedly less then 500m away from the village. Clearing operations are continuing and of course will take some time. Russia has also taken the Khimik neighborhood. We also have first footage of captured Ukrainian kit abandoned during the retreat.

I will do an update on other sections of the front tomorrow, or Monday. Russian forces are advancing in a few other areas, but so far just the typical minor pushes, other then Novomihailovka where Russia is continuing to slowly advance.

A video from several days ago of a Ukrainian troop rotation in Avdeevka on an M113. You'll note the APC takes a hit from an FPV drone but keeps moving during this.

Allegedly Azov fighters withdrawing from Avdeevka.

A knocked out Ukrainian BMP-1 near Avdeevka getting finished off by an FPV drone.

Ukrainian infantry exiting Avdeevka on foot.

4 Ukrainian POW from the 110th Mech and National Guard (presumably Azov). They confirming earlier reports that wounded were abandoned during the withdrawal from Avdeevka. They're also reporting platoons down to 6 people, mostly ambulatory wounded.

Piles of Ukrainian KIA litter Avdeevka. Warning footage of corpses.

Ukrainian command is admitting some soldiers were taken prisoner during the withdrawal from Avdeevka. This is interesting. Normally if small numbers of POWs are taken Ukrainian command is silent. The fact that they're admitting it makes me wonder if at least they think they've lost a considerable number as POWs.

Two videos, one of allegedly an Azov company commander, the other of abandoned Ukrainian KIAs at the Zenit position. Warning footage of corpses.

It appears a Czech foreign fighter was killed as part of the recent Russian destruction of the Dana howitzer.

Much to my surprise, it appears some civilians were still inside Avdeevka. We have first confirmation of civilian survivors. Allegedly Ukrainian sources claim ~900 civilians in the town which is much more then I would have thought possible given the town has been on the front lines since '14.

Rumors continue to swirl about Ukrainian M1s showing up near Avdeevka. In principle it would make sense that reserves are needed to solidify the front line west of Avdeevka. However these rumors have been going on for some time and the video has no geolocation.

Allegedly Russian General Mordvichev, who commanded the assault on Mariupol', also commanded the assault on Avdeevka.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
If Ukraine has the will to fight, then they will in the end win. Right now it is tough due to lack of US support and European defense industry is still ramping up. However things will improve. Europe will not give up, and has much larger financial resources than Russia. The sooner Russia understands this and stop the invasion, the better. Both for Russia and for Ukraine.
Europe (and Canada) whining electorates will want free stuff thus compromising defence investment. The Russian invasion of Ukraine has altered Euro nations (Canada less so IMHO) that the geopolitical situation has changed for the worse but barring a major Russian incursion somewhere else, military aid to Ukraine will be lessened eventually by electorate desires for domestic needs (free stuff mostly). Combine this sad reality with the chaos of US domestic politics and the situation is unlikely to improve. Russian financial resources are not on par with Europe but China will buy Russian natural resources and will not allow Russia to suffer a major embarrassment (but hopefully a small one that may be in their long term interests). Some kind of settlement is Ukraine's only hope back stopped by a Marshall Plan type rebuilding of Ukraine including domestic defence investment by the West. I am not hopeful and some of us will still be around to regret it.

Fredled

KipPotapych said:
There are always choices.
I reiterate what I wrote earlier: When you are under agression, you don't have any choice. And when a part of your country is taken away by another country, this means war. And the goal is to recover all the lost teritories.
There is no compromise or doubling down. Recovering all the territories is the logical step before ending the war. Anything short of total territory recovery and total withdrawal of ennemy's forces is only a form of surrenddering under treath. When France surrendered to Germany in 1940, it didn't mean the end of the war. But the beginning. Same with Ukraine.

Ukraine had and still has no choice. It's Russia who has the choice and who is doubling down. Even tripling down if we count by the number of soldiers involved and killed. Russia can chose to withdraw without losing anything or risking anything. Nobody will attack Russia if this happens. But if Ukraine withdraws, it risks seeing Russian forces attacking again and again. Russia can stop the war at any time and it's the only sane recision they can take.

What is unrrealistic is for Putin to hope that he will secure the captured terrtories and that everything will settle down as the time pass by. He talks about realities on the ground. Well, the reality on the ground is that if hundreds of thousands Russian soldiers are not there permanently, and if thousands of them are not killed each week, and if his missiles and bombs are not dropped everyday by the dozens, and if he doesn't sent new tanks and new ammunitions in massive quantities, he will lose these territories in short notice.

Putin is only exhausting the human and economic ressources of Russia by continuing this war without any foreseable result. NATO is decided to help Ukraine for another two years, with the same amounts per year, at least.
His plan is not going to work.

Of course you can say that NATO and Ukraine double down n their bet on the continuing existance of the Ukrainian state. But it's nothing frivolous. The consequences are huge both for Ukrainians and for Europeans. For Russians, there is almost no consequence. Russia would only increase their natural and industrial resources by 3% (or something of that effect) if they take Ukraine. That's why this war doesn't make sens for Russia.

You said:
We don’t really know what was on the table in spring of 2022. We can guess and my guess would be as good as anyone else’s, but at the very least there would be forced federalization of Ukraine (more likely recognition of L/DNR independence), recognition of Crimea as Russian, neutral status of Ukraine
We don't know and even the Ukrainian diplomats who took part in the negotiations don't know. I remember when they came back after a meeting with Lavrov, they said it was useless to meet because Lavrov was not mandated to take any decision or make any promise or any step one way or another. They didn't know why they wasted their time at these meetings.

Forced federalization of Ukraine, recognition of L/DNR independence, recognition of Crimea as Russian and neutral/non-NATO status of Ukraine were a given and old, wellknown Russian claims. But the Ukes knew that Putin wanted something more without clearly knowing what. This "something more" was certainly the land corridor up to Transnistria (which means Odessa and Kherson) because the military operation aimed at taking this region, perhaps Kharkiv too if possible. The sacking of Zelensky and his government was also mentioned here and there by some Russian officials.
Anyway, I can;t imagine a government willing to negotiate that.

About the Reuters article that you posted:
Russian source with knowledge of the discussions said:
The contacts with the Americans came to nothing,"
It's symptomatic of the Kremlin's state of mind and ideology. They are convinced as well as trying to convince everybody else, that the US pulls the threads and that all the governments in Europe are their puppets, including Ukraine. That the US is expanding NATO as an imperialistic policy. And that the US can decide everything.

This is the biggest mistake Putin is making. Putin can't imagine for one second, that small countries, let alone people from these countries, are able to take decisions by themselves. Not only he didn't understand that a large part of the Ukrainian population didn't want to join Russia, but he also failed to understand that part of the population in the east wanted to join Russia. He just ignored the public opinion even when it was favourable to him, and used force immediately. While he could have controlled the Donbas by peaceful means if he had.

Why does he think that the US and the EU would not support a big, new ally like Ukraine? The West can't afford the historic shame of abandoning an East-European country to the Soviets a second time.

You said:
taking the entire territory back would not put them in a better position.
The statements that have been made in the past two years are all over the place: Russia must be defeated; this will end on the battlefield; this will end at the negotiating table; Russia has been defeated and Putin cannot win; we cannot let Russia and Putin win; etc.
In fact Putin has been defeated but still has resources to continue the war and increase the number of troops in Ukraine. Taking this decision after being defeated is beyond insane and show ignorance of the most famous historical cases.

It's true that retaking all or most of the territories will not give peace to Ukraine since Putin will never stop attacking them. So the only possibility is to force Russia to take the political decision to withdraw and stop the war. Before reaching this goal, the Russian invasion army have to be bleed dry. Killing a maximum of Russian soldiers is more effective than retaking territories. The Ukes understand that perfectly. That's why a frozen conflict or some new boundaries based on a frozen front line is none of interest for them.

The only way to stop this war is to make Russian leaders understand that the bloodshed should stop and that it's time to get the boys back home while they are still alive. The Russian population already understands that to a large extend. Not the Russian elite.

You said:
now the reports suggest that NATO as an alliance is going to come in and take over at least some of the functions. For example, NATO wants to coordinate weapons aid to Ukraine
Yes, it becomes increasingly an open conflict between NATO and Russia. And everybody s conscious about that.

It's logical. East European countries joined NATO because they have been under Soviet occupation since WW2. Ukraine wants to join NATO because the same Soviets attacked them again since 20214.
What else did Putin expect?

And NATO is obliged to react. It can't stay arm folded. Because the last time the Soviets had the occasion to reach Berlin, they didn't leave. We must make clear to Putin that he shouldn't mess with us this time.

Last edited:

KipPotapych

That is from earlier today (I would think he will write an article on the subject at some point with more info) and in addition to a few of my previous extensive posts on the subject. The only “third country” I can think of that would (probably) benefit Ukraine is the USA.

Most of the components of the agreements signed with France and Germany are for some deliveries in 2025 and majority beyond that.

Fredled

Ananda said:
All this back to attrition war situation. Without US money, US aid, and US support, can Ukranian keep fighthing the attrition war ? Personally I have big doubt, as if US pull out, I have doubt on Euro 'political' commitment to keep pumping more aid to Zelensky, to cover US withdrawal. Off course it's all depends on Trump's win again. Still his momentum is continues gaining.
It became de facto a war of attrition but it's bot the goal of NATO to keep like this. The goal is to provide Ukraine with the necessary weapons and ammunitions to kick the Russians out ASAP. The problem is that it doesn't come as fast as it should and Russians are faster at adding stuff to the battlefield.

There is no question that the US would pull out. Even if Trump is elected, it very unlikely that military aid to Ukraine would stop according to most analysts and diplomats.
The resolve of the European countries is very strong and shows an unexpectedly high unity. The big problem with Europe is not the resources allocated (they actually gave more than the US in the Ukrainian war) but that decisions take way too long to concretise.

KipPotapych said:
Ukraine has a lot more to gain if a ceasefire were to take place
Of course. But as long as Russia is able to bomb them from afar, there won;t be any ceasefire.

John Fedup said:
military aid to Ukraine will be lessened eventually by electorate desires for domestic needs
No because the amounts allocated to Ukraine is still tiny in comparison with total government budget.
The economic impact of the war is practically zero in Europe (some protest from farmers and truckers but this is not linked with the military aid. It's linked with new trade agreements with Ukraine.)
Whereas in Russia, it's being felt by the entire population more and more.

Update on Avdeevka.

Feanor said:
It appears Avdeevka has truly fallen.
Confirmed by Ukrinform this morning (then by Zelensky later).
The 3rd Separate Assault Brigade has withdrawn to prepared positions on the outskirts of Avdiivka

This was expected for quiet a while. The Ukes stand no chance under Russian bombing and firepower. As long as they don;t have more aircraft to intercept the bombers, more artillery shells, more HIMARS and ATACMS, these defeats will continue.

To those who say that this withdrawal should have been done a long time ago, i would say that they are not there to judge.

Last edited:

Fredled

KipPotapych said:
Most of the components of the agreements signed with France and Germany are for some deliveries in 2025 and majority beyond that.
Yes, because what was agreed upon one year ago is being delivered today. It's not like they won't provide a single shell until 2025.

40% of ammo production is exported to non-Ukraine countries because Europeans send ammo from military stocks, which are partialy or completely replenished by these producers. Thus it's not included as export. Yet, it also means that 60% goes to Ukraine and porbably this ratio is growing fast.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Russian sources confirm the death of colonel Magomedzhanov who was wounded in the war zone. Former commander of the 61st MarBde, he was a deputy commander of the 18th Army in the war zone (though what exact kind of deputy he was is unclear, the term can refer to roles like "head of work with personnel"). It's unclear what the circumstances are, I don't believe the 18th Army was involved in the fighting around Avdeevka.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Even if Trump is elected, it is very unlikely that military aid to Ukraine would stop according to most analysts and diplomats.
To be sure are you referring to Euro Military Aid or overall NATO aid including US ? Cause nobody can predict Trump, but he's already selling to his constituents that basically if he's in charge, he will basically force both Ukrainian and Russia to freeze the war. That's what he says in that CNN interview. He knows CNN is hostile media to him, so what's he says on hostile media like CNN basically his position to 'challange' and be reversal with what Biden does.

If you talk Euro Military Aid, in my previous post, I state what I doubt is Euro willingness to cover what portion of aid which US potentially Cut (if Trump in charge), not doubting Euro keep military aid. Thus what I doubt Euro willingness to cover US portion. I emphasize willingness to cover US portion, not abilities to cover US portion. Those two are different things. Will all Euro/EU going to be in one determination, if US pull out?

Again all this still moot point right now, when Biden and Democrats are still in charge. However will going to be "potentially" matter if Trump is again in charge, and he is still doing what he promised to do during the campaign. You can say whatever on Trump, but his last term shown he's quite consistent with what he says during campaign.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be sure are you referring to Euro Military Aid or overall NATO aid including US ? Cause nobody can predict Trump, but he's already selling to his constituents that basically if he's in charge, he will basically force both Ukrainian and Russia to freeze the war. That's what he says in that CNN interview. He knows CNN is hostile media to him, so what's he says on hostile media like CNN basically his position to be reversal what Biden does.

If you talk Euro Military Aid, in my previous post, I state what I doubt is Euro willingness to cover what portion of aid which US potentially Cut (if Trump in charge), not doubting Euro keep military aid. Thus what I doubt Euro willingness to cover US portion. I emphasize willingness to cover US portion, not abilities to cover US portion. Those two are different things. Will all Euro going to be in one determination, if US pull out ?

Again all this still moot point right now, when Biden and Democrats are still in charge. However will going to be "potentially" matter if Trump is again in charge, and he is still doing what he promised to do during the campaign. You can say whatever on Trump, but his last term shown he's quite consistent with what he says during campaign.
I'm afraid the situation isn't that simple. Neither side typically gets to be completely "in charge". For example right now Biden is "in charge" but aid to Ukraine is stalled. And when Trump was "in charge" he wanted to pull out of Syria but wasn't really able to. So, even if Trump wins he might not be able to pull the plug on Ukraine, and might find it impossible to force Ukraine to negotiate on anything resembling Russia's terms, nor force Russia to give up on their war effort. If Ukraine gets assurances from both inside the US from Trump's opponents, and assurances from Europe to ignore his demands, they might just do that and Trump might end up having to approve some aid to Ukraine despite his desire to twist their arm and force a peace. And this is assuming the desire he's stating is genuine. I think it reasonable to assume that aid to Ukraine will likely shrink from the US. In fact it's already shrinking, the amount stalled by Congress now for approval is a smaller sum then what the US provided last year. But it's not clear that Trump, for all his pre-election posturing, will actually be able (or willing) to do what he's claiming he will.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
But it's not clear that Trump, for all his pre-election posturing, will actually be able (or willing) to do what he's claiming he will
Well, for one thing Trump is eratic and somewhat unpredictable. However on some issues even with strong democrats opposition, he is plowing along. We can see on Border Wall with Mexico. Off course he fail to make Mexico paid the wall, but his promise that I will build the wall is what he keept to his constituents.

That's why as non US citizen, I just simply can't rule out all what he's promise to do with his constituents. Right now for Republicans Right Winger, somehow this aid to Ukraine is aim to be stop. Seems not because Russia factor, but more just to spite Biden and Democrats.

Agree no guarantees he can force both Russia and Ukrainian on his terms of peace negotiations. But doesn't mean he'll not tries if he's back in white house. Even in my Industry some of us got wager if Trump backs, will he try to forcefully dictate Fed's like in his last term?

I just don't want to underestimate him, if he ever back to white house, on his action to resolve to force the War to Stop.

Last edited:

KipPotapych

This is a popular problem in Ukraine, since 2014 they have been delaying the withdrawal of troops for too long. Debaltsevo, Severodonetsk, Bakhmut, Avdiivka. Of course, there will be losses. At the same time, they have very weak reserve lines. But this still does not compare to Russia's losses (hundreds of videos, OSINT confirmed, show losses in equipment at a ratio of at least 1:3-4, and even that is compensated for by destroyed vehicles, UAVs, and boats. In technic, the ratio is 1:5+). Also, Z groups confirm colossal military losses. Wagner is finished in Bakhmut, with killed and wounded numbering close to 60 thousand. Near Avdiivka, soldiers are being destroyed in "meat attacks". And all this despite a huge advantage in aviation and the quantity of ammunition. As for negotiations, my opinion is this - if the F-16s are still not provided and they keep dragging their feet as the US is currently doing with ammunition, then of course it's worth going for negotiations; otherwise, Russian forces will wear down significantly faster. And on what guarantees to sign these ceasefires? What will change, unlike Ukraine, Russia has allies who give birth faster. And to make a respite for another year, when Russia again infiltrates agents, again discovers all the places of air defense, increases the production of thousands of missiles. And Ukraine will produce 6 MRL per month, and then wait for "a million" shells for another 2 years from the beginning of a new attack? The question is rhetorical

Regarding screenshots and corpses, similar ones can be found on the other side, where relatives tell parents that there are no survivors left in the company. But it is more rational to judge by the amount of destroyed technic.

Text from another snapchot:
Our channel has never expressed its position on the number of casualties in any operation.
But what is happening in Avdiivka right now is beyond our comprehension.
In the past day alone, over 1300 Russian servicemen have DIED.
Thousands are wounded, most of whom will not survive until morning. They simply won't have time to receive the necessary assistance because the flow of wounded does not stop.
The sheer volume of messages from relatives in the last few days is staggering
Wagner wasn’t finished in Bakhmut. Wagner was finished after for different reasons.

These “meat attacks” by the Russians keep being reported for over a year now. I talked about it in my prior posts. However, lately we even have numerous UA sources reporting that this is not the case. For example:

Russian troops incurred high casualties by any standard, which is evidenced by the necessity for the 25th Combined Arms Army to transfer its equipment to the 2nd and 41st Combined Arms Armies to sustain ongoing assaults. However, contrary to a myth, Russian forces didn’t perform constant frontal assaults. The enemy has adapted to become more creative and flexible.

From (good read, underlining above is mine): Avdiivka Dilemma: Analyzing Tactical Realities and Operational Necessities

The equipment that had already been provided, and much of which is now destroyed, cannot be provided in the same quantities again. At least not in the short term. F-16 have been debated here and elsewhere in great extent and, to make it short, most believe they are not going to make much of a dent on the battlefield or turn things around. Ihnat was saying not that long ago (December?) that they were having difficulties with preparing the infrastructure ready in order to be able to operate F-16s. The latest statements are a little different, but the expressed concerns are the same:

"You know, they could have been stationed here already, and they could take off like the American F-15s did in 2012 and 2018. To conduct takeoffs and landings, you need some control over them, communication systems, and more. Logistics, undoubtedly, airplanes need to be serviced and refueled. This can be done, and it was done on the territory of Ukraine," noted Ihnat.

According to the spokesperson for the Air Force, the preparation of infrastructure for the future F-16s is very serious today, especially in conditions of hostilities. To prevent the enemy from accessing the fighters, it is necessary to prepare runways, shelters, and "other aspects."

"Undoubtedly, the F-16 will be a target for the occupiers. We must do everything to ensure that the infrastructure being prepared is adapted. Because making it fundamentally sound is not a straightforward process, especially when we are under daily shelling. Adaptation is happening, and pilots are training," added Ihnat.

From: Challenge ahead. Is Ukraine's infrastructure ready for F-16: Air Force spokesman explains

Mainly, however, and again, this will not change the war around and, in my opinion, may keep Ukraine “afloat” longer. Even if the number of the jets available to Ukraine was significant, they do not have enough pilots to operate them (it was also somewhat discussed here previously and the situation hasn’t changed).

As for the American aid, it will sure have a great effect, there is no doubt about it. However, they cannot provide equipment in the same quantities as they did last year and the year before in short order (and, if you read the briefs of the bill, a good chunk of allocated funds is meant for replenishing their own stocks). It would likely take years. The main issue is artillery and the last summer offensive has been made possible in that department in large(st) part by South Korea, as was discussed previously. There are currently reports that Czechs found some 800,000 artillery rounds that can be purchased from outside the Alliance:

This is likely where the promised 120,000 122mm shells promised by Germany are going to be coming from. The “rumours” are the supplies are going to come from Turkey, South Korea, and (drum roll) South Africa. These are just rumours though, so who knows. I am on the side of “I will believe it when I see it” crowd.

The next thing to consider here is the recent reports of what appears to be a genuine belief (in my opinion more of a paranoia) by multiple countries in a full out war with Russia in the next 3 or so years. Considering there is a genuine concern for this possibility (though some believe it is an inevitably) and realization that the (insignificant) stocks that existed before this war are completely depleted, do you think the priority will be given to arming Ukraine or themselves? The choice here is pretty clear. Of course, supplies will be provided to Ukraine in greatest quantities possible to keep this war going because this is the best possible “buffer” anyone can probably think of. But rearming themselves will be prioritized without a doubt and has been at least somewhat supported by the reports posted here previously as far as orders and timelines are concerned.

Finally, on this point, the equipment and quantities supplied up to this point weren’t nearly sufficient to break through the Russian defences. Yes, there was Kharkiv, but that has no relevance now because things aren’t nearly the same. Kherson was already a different kind of animal where no breakthrough was made by Ukraine, but an orderly strategic retreat that took place by the Russians (compare that to any “strategic” retreat made by the Ukrainians).

As for the Russian forces wearing down significantly faster, I wouldn’t say this is a good assumption. First consideration would be the following. Including the initial idiotic roll out, the Russians have been on the offensive in the most difficult conditions - that is, mostly winter and early to mid- spring, now late fall as well. Ironically, they are pretty good at that historically. Ukraine, on the other hand, reasonably took advantage of the friendliest conditions possible for their offensives. In spite of what McFaul says (as cited in my previous post), it is highly unlikely that there will be any serious offensive by the Ukes this spring (or year) and if the Russians keep pressing things may change quite dramatically this year. I don’t know if they can sustain the same pressure though.

The second thing to consider is that the Russians have reserves that they haven’t committed yet. Ukraine has none. According to the reports cited here previously (among many, many others), thighs are pretty tough and manpower is lacking greatly. Rules for mobilization still haven’t been finalized. Long story short, they may end up with a lot of unwilling and poorly trained men that need to be thrown in to the front in order to keep the Russians from exploiting a breakthrough somewhere. This is the reality.

And I agree, there are grim reports from both sides. At least for the past while, however, the Ukrainians have definitely been winning in this department and by a long shot.

@Fredled, I believe this covers most of the things in your post as well (from my very quick read). I can add that there are always choices. And that the land that “needs” to be returned gets just that much less significant and much more costly with every day that goes by. Furthermore, I have a feeling there will be a lot more of it to return by the end of this year and it is going to be a lot more expensive. But that’s how she goes I guess.

Anyway, I probably said all I had on the subject and we will just wait and see what happens.

KipPotapych

Oh yeah, @Fredled, it just hit me, I strongly disagree that Europe didn't notice this war as far as finances and economy are concerned. In fact, they are paying through the nose, so to speak, and Germany in particular, UK to a lesser degree, and most other countries. I can definitely expand on that, lol (but probably won’t). Maybe I should read your post again.

Jaykaro

Wagner wasn’t finished in Bakhmut. Wagner was finished after for different reasons.
"finished" not in the literal sense, but the losses were such that it is impossible to function without a mass recruitment of people. Let's take Wagner's chief of staff, Markus. Out of 78 thousand people at the beginning of the campaign, after Bahmut, a total of 22 thousand were killed and 40 thousand wounded. A loss of 3/4 of the personnel. And not all of them were prisoners. The same applies to Prigozhin. Prigozhin publicly acknowledged the losses of the Wagner as TWENTY THOUSAND PEOPLE KILLED ALONE. (10 thousand - "prisoners" and 10 thousand - Wagner's regular fighters). But if we look closer - it indicates that 50 thousand "special contingent" personnel were recruited into Wagner from places of deprivation of liberty. Out of them, 10 thousand were killed. Alright. Let's assume. But previously the same source mentioned that 26 thousand "prisoners" were granted amnesty and returned "to the national economy". Subtracting 10 and 26 from 50 thousand... 14 thousand "vanished". With the level of medical care, with such a number of casualties and irreversibly wounded, there would be, by the most modest estimates, 40 thousand and 26 thousand who left, essentially leaving nobody there.

Regarding meat grinder attacks - just from Avdeevka alone, recently there have been enough videos where a column of vehicles simply moves across the field like a snake and gets destroyed by artillery. I've seen at least 3 videos where infantry runs across the field without any vehicles at all; in one of these videos, there are about 30-50 soldiers, and they are simply shot down by artillery. Therefore, I doubt that anything has changed in this regard. I would attach some videos here, but they need to be uploaded to third-party services, and I don't think the administration would approve of them anyway.

And as I've mentioned earlier, over the past 18 weeks, according to OSINT sources, the losses in equipment have been over 600 compared to 60. Of course, one cannot judge the losses in personnel based solely on them, but Russia won't be able to sustain constant operations like Avdeevka (in terms of the amount of lost combat vehicles) and Bahmut (in terms of the number of casualties) indefinitely.

Miracles don't happen, Russia doesn't produce or restore such a quantity of lost tanks to storm cities like Avdeevka every time

Mainly, however, and again, this will not change the war around and, in my opinion, may keep Ukraine “afloat” longer.

In modern realities, dozens of Su-24s having fun destroying Russian command centers, air defense systems, and even dealing blows to the Black Sea fleet. Despite transferring only a few hundred missiles to Ukraine, thanks to good reconnaissance, Storm missiles have been hitting clusters of equipment in the nearby Russian rear. At the very least, they won't allow dropping 200 bombs a day with impunity.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fredled

@Ananda. On top of what Feanor said, I would add that the war in Ukraine is not an important topic in the US. Americans don't care much about it, except that it's taxpayer money. But it's not that a big amount compared to the actual defense budget of the US and to other military deployments all over the world. It's more about rethoric and spite the Democrats (as you said). Trump himself is not very interrested in foreign affairs. He said such things like stopping the war within one week if he is elected or stopping funding or not defend those European sissies who don't pay, to show how strong a man he is, but when faced with the opinion of advisers, Pentagon official and lawmakers, it will be another story.

European leaders are willing to add funds in order to compensate for a smaller funding from the US. It's already the case. As I said before, problem in Europe is not the money, it's the way it's used and the slowliness of the implementation. It takes months before brick-and-mortar works start to be done. In Russia it goes much faster because the militaro-industrial complex is still intact, in its structure, from the USSR.

KipPotapych said:
Oh yeah, @Fredled, it just hit me, I strongly disagree that Europe didn't notice this war as far as finances and economy are concerned. In fact, they are paying through the nose
Not true. The only effect on the economy is the flow of migrants and the grain deal which is not to the taste of the farmers and to a lesser extent the inflow of cheap Ukrainian truck drivers. Except those directly effected by the profession, we don't see any influence in our economy.
And this are side effect of the war, not the cause of military aid or even humanitarian or financial aid.

Military aid is at an average of 0.1% of GDP in the EU + Norway and UK, with large disparities between states. Total defense spending is between 1.7 and 2.5% of GDP depending on the countries (a bit more for the Baltic countries since the start of the invasion).
If the EU spent 0.25% of GDP on military aid to Ukraine, we would outpace Russia by a very large margin.

The problem is not the money or if the economy can sustain it, but the slow decision, the slow implementation, the way money is wasted, and the lack of factories and machine tools to make the stuff.

But no, definetly the military aid to Ukraine has zero impact on people's life.

Now compare it to Russia: 7% of GDP spent on the Ukrainian bloodshed, dwindling sovereign gold and currency reserves, reduced budget for anything but the military, one million men of working age either mobilised or escaped abroad, or invalid or dead or in jail, directly because of the war and a return to a quasi stalinist system in term of freedom of press and political opinions.

Jaykaro said:
Russia doesn't produce or restore such a quantity of lost tanks to storm cities like Avdeevka every time
Currently they do.
The militaro-industrial complex is still very effective and managed to triple production in record time. However this production is not always of good quality. The equipment is of far lower quality than from the beginning, except for drones. Most of the bombs and rockets are from massive Soviet era stocks. For the tanks they are recommissioning hulls from dump yards.

But the human toll on the Russian society, on top of the economic cost, will start weight on opinions. So far, the meatgrinder eliminated most of the delinquents, violent persons, true volonteers and foreign mercenaries. This is going to end as they are either dead or freed from duty. Ironically those good young Russians who are mobilised by decree should stay at the front until war end while the criminals who were taken out of jail are free after one year. ...and when they return home, some of them don't waste time comitting more crimes.
The Russian People is able to accept huge sacrifices, but even there, there are limits. Everybody in Russia (at least in areas of high rate of mobilisation. Maybe not in Moscow where the rate is vary low) knows either a neighbour or a friend or a member of his family whose husband or son has died or was seriously wounded in Ukraine.

Fredled

KipPotapych said:
The second thing to consider is that the Russians have reserves that they haven’t committed yet. Ukraine has none.
You assume that most of the equipment sent by the West was lost. if it was the case, Russians would be in Kiev as we speak. Some equipment have been lost but not most of it.
It's more that the Russians have been able to increase their forces on the ground. Ukes complain of lack of ammos, not of vehicles,