The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

Larry_L

Recently there has been talk of a new grain deal, at least between Erdogan and Putin. I will be interesting to see where this goes as grain shipments have increased quite a bit since Russia backed out of the deal. Russia has so far done little besides sowing a few mines, and attacking port infrastructure in Ukraine. Ukraine has claimed that the January levels of grain shipped through the maritime corridor have reached pre war levels. Other statements say that they are "approaching" pre war levels. It is unlikely that Russia would get significant concessions in a new deal.

There has been an explosion at the Votkinsk Machine-Building Plant in Russia. The MOD reports that this is the result of "technical work" which would rule out a smoking incident. One of the items produced there is the iskander missile.

Russia is reducing petroleum output. Ukraine can probably take credit for some of this, at least in the short term. If Russia does not adapt the the capabilities the impact may be extended. There is some speculation that the upcoming election was cause for keeping more at home for domestic consumption.

The sanctions have not been working well at keeping Russia from acquiring the western components they need to manufacture many of the armaments they produce. Recently the system has gained some traction by restricting their ability to pay for the items they import through the grey markets. Some of the banks in China and Turkey are tightening up on how they deal with Russian companies. One of the reasons for Russia exiting the grain deal was the restrictions on payment methods. Russia has already been forced to resort to transferring gold to obtain hard currency.

KipPotapych

Zaluzhny is gone, as per Umerov’s Facebook page:

Edit: Zelensky’s message, and potential replacements for top brass to work under Syrsky, who is now the new commander-in-chief (via Google translate):

I am grateful to General Zaluzhny for two years of protection. I am grateful for every victory we achieved together and thanks to all Ukrainian soldiers who are heroically fighting this war.
They spoke frankly today about what needs to change in the army. Urgent changes. I suggested to General Zaluzhny to be in the team of the Ukrainian state in the future. I will be grateful for his consent.

Starting today, a new management team will take over the leadership of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. I want the vision of the war to be the same for our soldiers in Robotyn or Avdiivka, and in the General Headquarters and Stavka. I had dozens of conversations with commanders at various levels. In particular, today I spoke with Brigadier Generals Andrii Hnatov, Mykhailo Drapaty, Igor Skybyuk, and Colonels Pavel Palisa and Vadym Sukharevskyi.
All of them are being considered for leadership positions in the army and will serve under the guidance of the most experienced Ukrainian commander. He has successful defense experience - he conducted the Kyiv defense operation. He also has successful offensive experience - the Kharkiv liberation operation.
I appointed Colonel-General Syrskyi as the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
Today I spoke with Generals Moysyuk and Zabrodsky. Their experience is at the service of the state.

The year 2024 can be successful for Ukraine only if there are effective changes in the basis of our defense, which is the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

Last edited:

KipPotapych

This post is going to consist of two parts. Part one I wrote two days ago but never posted because I wanted address a couple other points as well, but never had the time to do so. So I will post it as is with no amendments, in spite of the fact that the situation completely changed earlier today and I would change some of my post as well, but would rather address it in another post. So part 1:

(You understand it's not from the internet or the medias.)
Yes, absolutely. Neither is mine. But I refer to other sources as well. It provides a better picture.

Every time in history, when a general looses a a battle or a war he is dismissed. Zaluzhny may not be responsible for the defeat but what do we know? We don't know how effective is Zaluzhny's competences. Fact is that he is extremely popular among soldiers in the ranks. And replacing him could be counter productive. But being popular doesn't mean competent. He can be popular and at the same made strategic mistakes.
I partially agree and partially disagree. Here it appears to be the case of Zelensky having a different “vision” of the situation. No one here knows for a fact, all we can do is collect (somewhat) reliable information and make conclusions that we deem to be reasonable.

After the offensive, Zaluzhny was pretty clearly explaining what is happening on the front, outlining his actual vision of the situation (and reality) and what needs to happen in order to change it. I am sure he didn’t come up with it the day or week after it was over. Absolute majority of experts (that I read at least) agreed. Zaluzhny saw the offensive for it was the day it began as it was outlined in the Washington Post article I summarized a few weeks ago. Zelesnky clearly saw it differently and until recently, like 2 or 3 weeks ago (?), tried to convince everyone otherwise. I completely understand that there must be a single vision or at the very least a strong alliance between the generals and top politicians, but when politicians are acting borderline insane, it is another matter. It seems to me that Zelesnky had outplayed his role. He is completely out of his element now and his contributions are likely minimal. This is as opposed to when he played his role perfectly, touring the world, accumulating support, and collecting financial, humanitarian, and military aid. This is in the past now for the most part and he will likely need to find a new place or idea for himself, a role, if you will.

Sources suggest that it was that very article in The Economist that really pissed him off, the admission of stalemate by Zaluzhny, and finally tipped the scale. Here is one, but I read others as well in the recent days (as well as back then):

People close to Zelenskyy, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter, told POLITICO that Zaluzhny’s essay left the president scrambling to reassure partners the war is not a dead end, and that it’s still worth helping Ukraine. Zelenskyy now wants his army to come up with a strategy that will encourage allies to keep the aid flowing.

What is needed most at the moment is a strategy that aligns with reality, not “we will be knocking at the doors of Crimea by the fall”. That is nonsense and everyone understands it. In my opinion, Zaluzhny offered best ideas and I believe he made it publicly for a reason. He likely strongly disagrees with Zelensky because his “vision” would leave a lot of troops on that frontline. Places like Bakhmut then, Krynky now, for example. Keep in mind, that it was him who publicly insisted on holding Bakhmut for as long as they could, as well as Syrsky who played the role. For all we know he was advised by the very Zaluzhny to do so (though there were reports that it was Syrsky’s game), but that was clearly a mistake and we can only guess for the rest. Avdiivka will now likely be in the similar situation, if not already. So I think there is a lot of disagreement there.

Budanov suggested, on the other hand, a couple of days ago that Ukrainians will go on the offensive once the Russians are done with theirs. That’s clearly team Zelensky talking. He can count on Budanov to have that aligned view, the view that is completely delusional, in my opinion.

Syrsky… Well, again, I don’t know who parroted who, but him and Zelensky were signing the same song about many events on the battlefield that we now know for a fact didn’t turn out as they were signing it.

Anyway… The reality is that Zaluzhny is not only popular among the ranks, but also people.

Although he has shown no signs of political ambition, the general is the only figure able to rival the president in public esteem: a survey by the Kyiv Institute of Sociology late last year gave him an 88 per cent approval rating, compared with 62 per cent for Zelensky.

There is very little doubt that Zelensky’s ratings would sink further when he lets Zaluzhny go. Aside from the common sense, this is also evident from another poll:

This means he has escaped any public blame for the disappointing outcome of the 2023 counteroffensive: a poll in December had 72 per cent opposing his dismissal and just 2 per cent in favour.

Source for the above: The Ukraine war has changed, so Zelensky must reinvent himself

Therein lies the problem for the president. There is nothing he can do to improve his ratings inside the country. Zaluzhny can basically tell the truth and, potentially, become even more popular. Zelensky telling the same truth would become the menace of society because he was lying since… Basically since he took the office.

The main issue is, really, Zelensky is completely disconnected from reality. He still insists that they will take back Crimea. He insists that once enough countries support his “peace formula”, he will (maybe) invite Russia to the talks and the conflict will be resolved, Russia packing up and going home, Putin, among others, going to jail, etc. Up until very recently, he insisted that the offensive was still going strong and they are “winning”, while last year ended with Russia taking more land from Ukraine than they lost. And so on.

Finally, I would suggest that Zelensky is the one who makes the final decisions and he is ultimately responsible for the strategic mistakes and failures. But this is also the point when the generals get fired.

End of part 1. Part 2:

I was going to write quite a bit on the western support, but will limit myself to a couple of paragraphs so that I can address the dismissal of Zaluzhny.

About Zelensky balming the West: I can nothing but agree with him. The West has always promised unlimited support. And now, it looks like it's limited. No Taurus, no F16, no ATACMS (or very little)... Of course, it was not diplomatic to do so.
So the promise of “unlimited support” was idiotic. This was very clear back when it was promised. I wrote about it many, many times here in this very thread. First of all, when someone uses words like “never”, “always”, “unlimited”, in other words what is generally known as hyperbole, one should know that they are either straight up lying, significantly exaggerating, don’t know what they are talking about, etc. Said otherwise, it is never a reality, which is why we have this word “hyperbole”. Second, one has to consider that when these promises of “unlimited support” were made, those who promised were only providing javelins and stingers, among other smaller things, along with “undercover” supplies of outdated Soviet equipment. If someone assumed that these promises implied provision of Taurus, F16s, ATACMS, etc, well, that’s completely on them.

However, let’s look at it from the Ukrainian side. They had nothing to lose, so they went all in. As long as they visibly (<- that word is very important here) stayed afloat, they could hope for more support. Then there is something called “commitment”. I already made an extensive post about it here a long time ago now, but the basic idea is if you can make someone commit to a minor thing, you can more often than not make them commit to quite a bit more, generally speaking. This is an extremely useful strategy and is used in marketing, all kinds of negotiations, you name. This is basically how we got to the summer of 2023.

The western perspective was that Russia needed to be defeated, that is, of course, because Ukraine seemed to be capable. Keep in mind, this is my broken record talking again, no one still defined what that actually means to “defeat Russia”, but everyone still seems to be pretty comfortable using these very words today. It became less clear and actually quite murky last summer. But let’s scroll back a little. The Ukrainians were kicking the Russian asses in Kharkiv and (much less so or even hardly) in Kherson, thanks to the mighty river, and, according to the reports of the day, all that was made possible by the deliveries of HIMARS for the most part. What would happen if more and more sophisticated equipment is provided? At that point, many already believed that Russia had been defeated and with another little push, they’d go home and victory would prevail. No one appeared to consider that the Russians were all in even though they didn’t yet throw the chips on the table (or no one cared to look). The Russians were all in before the invasion even began and they still are well in the game. So that “unlimited” is very… well, limited because common sense.

Reached the character limit, more in the next post.

KipPotapych

About Zaluzhny and Mobilisation
Their biggest different id about mobilisation. Zaluhzny demands that half a million men be mobilised now.
This is unrealistic.

Not because it will be unpopular. But because Ukraine doesn't have the money to do it and doesn't have the weapons and ammunitions for the new recruits and doesn't have proper artillery and air force to support the new units on the frontline.

If you mobilise half a million men, you have to pay them the time they are serving. Don;t think that they will fight for free.
In the Russian army, soldiers on the frontline are paid between $1800 and $2500. It's difficult to know exactly because the USD true exchange rate and spending power equivalent is not clearly known, but it's several times the average salary (which is also difficult to compare with the Western world's salaries). Soldiers salaries are a huge boon for their families.

In the Ukrainian army, they will have to do the same if they want a minimum of motivation. 500000 * €2000 = €1 Billion per month. €12B/year. (Euros because it's Ukraine. US dollars because it's Russia.)
It's not a small sum. It's the equivalent of the entire European funding facility for Ukraine aid. And the US one is not passed yet. And this is not counting compensation for the disabled and the deceased, not counting the premiums for the officers and other rewards, not counting all the extra expenses each soldier at the front requires.

Zaluzhby doesn't seem to understand that. He thinks that you just have to call for patriotic sentiments and every men will fulfil their duty for free. He is gravely mistaken.

Latest news about mobilisation from Ukrinform.
In other words, once you are mobilised, it's for 3 years.
I completely disagree with this.

Zaluzhny suggested that they need to mobilize more men, and many of them, because there is an actual need for it. He said that a) they lost people (lots of people), b) they need to account for the expected losses that will inevitably happen this year and forth, and c) the mobilized men need to be properly trained in order to be ready for battle when those who have been fighting for 36 months straight one year from now may get to go home. He is 100% correct.

To say that he doesn’t understand simple arithmetic is laughable. Furthermore, his job is to provide his opinion on the required resources in order for the military to operate properly within the specified goals and parameters, not count the beans, which I am sure he is also capable of.

Anyway, I tried to shorten this post to fit into the other one, but it didn’t work out. And I didn’t even begin addressing what I wanted to, ie dismissal of Zaluzhny. In short, in my opinion, this is a colossal mistake. I will (probably) write more on it later.

Fredled

KipPotapych said:
The western perspective was that Russia needed to be defeated, that is, of course, because Ukraine seemed to be capable.
The West thought that Russian would be defeated with javelins and Bayraktars. This is because we didn;t know, at this time that Russia would be all in a few mnths later.

Putin himself didn't know. (I slightly disagree with you on this point). Putin had prepared for a Blitzkrieg he was sure to win, not for a >3 years war. He started with 190K troops. This is significant, yet, only one third of the number of troops actually deployed today and <1/4 of the total deployement. Who could have expected that?

I also disagree that the West supports Ukraine because and as long as Ukraine is capable. The West thought that Ukraine would be capable with what they were given to fight with. Now Ukrainians are less and less capable because of their own loss and because Russian forces have tripled.

To the contrary, I think the West would accelarate weapon deliveries if the Ukrainian troops loose ground. Because no one in Europe wants the Red Army back at their gates.

Americans see it differently because they are not in Europe. They don;t feel concerned as much. So they may drop Ukraine as soon as they deem it lost for them and their interrests. On the other hand, Americans are always gleefuly deploying their military might anytime they have a chance to show it. US support will continue, but their motivations are not the same as for Europeans.

KipPotapych said:
Zaluzhny suggested that they need to mobilize more men, and many of them, because there is an actual need for it. He said that a) they lost people (lots of people), b) they need to account for the expected losses that will inevitably happen this year and forth, and c) the mobilized men need to be properly trained in order to be ready for battle when those who have been fighting for 36 months straight one year from now may get to go home. He is 100% correct.
Zelensky also said, an emphasised even, that there should be proper rules for mobilisation, honnest rotation of fatiguated troops and proper training. In this respect, he repeats what all his generals told him.

Zhaluzhny said he needed haf a million new recruits. He didn't ask them to be sent to the front immediately, nonetheless, this number is irrealistic.

At the end, I don't think that Zelensky and Zaluzhny are at dagger out. It looks like Zaluzhny resigned, without formally telling so. The so called new commandment is still the old guard from 2014. Only Zaluzhny has been dismissed. And even so, I expect him to stay in the spotlight with another function. Well maybe a little bit less under the spotlight, but still there. He just won't have as much decisional power as before. I don't think that Zelensky has another vision. The vision os pretty clear for everybody. they just express different opinion or express the same opinions differently.

Last edited:

Fredled

Feanor said:
What You Need to Know: International Humanitarian Law
When you face people coming to kill you, few international laws are respected.

I'm not saying hitting a bakery or Belgorod's center is fine but this is war. Among the 28 civilians killed in Belgorod, how many were off duty soldiers? How many were working for the army supplies? How many women recieved big monthly payments because their husbands killed Ukrainians? The Ukrainians know the answer. The entire city is living thanks to the Russian military and 50 miles from there, Ukrainians are being killed.

Was it a war crime when the Russians bombed the restaurant where Ukrainian officers were celebrating a birthday? Yes/No,
Same with the bakery. If the bread, or even half of the bread, goes to soldiers who will later try to kill you, you don't care about Geneva Conventions.

One should try to avoid wars for a reason.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you face people coming to kill you, few international laws are respected.
This is an extremely simplistic analysis, but thanks for agreeing with me. Ukraine respects few international laws. Actually your claim goes a bit further then mine. I was referencing specific instances, you're talking about a general attitude. Does a country that respects few international laws belong in NATO or the EU?

I'm not saying hitting a bakery or Belgorod's center is fine but this is war. Among the 28 civilians killed in Belgorod, how many were off duty soldiers? How many were working for the army supplies? How many women recieved big monthly payments because their husbands killed Ukrainians? The Ukrainians know the answer. The entire city is living thanks to the Russian military and 50 miles from there, Ukrainians are being killed.
Ukraine threw an MLRS packet into the center of Belgorod and knew how many of the random people that died were off-duty soldiers? Is this a joke? The issue with the strikes on Belgorod is precisely the lack of discrimination. How on earth would Ukraine know how many? And are you seriously arguing that killing civilians who received paychecks from their husbands who are at war is justifiable? Are the wives of US service members who fought in Iraq fair game? Can Russia intentionally direct strikes against housing of the families of Ukrainian soldiers at the front? This particular argument of yours is despicable and if this were the justification of Ukraine's government for the strikes, they would be criminals and should be prosecuted alongside Putin. However the reality is they had no idea who they were striking, and that's precisely the problem. This is not the same as a targeted strike.

Was it a war crime when the Russians bombed the restaurant where Ukrainian officers were celebrating a birthday? Yes/No,
I don't know. If they were soldiers in uniform at a time of war, I would argue this is a legitimate target, but I'm honestly not 100% clear on this. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can weigh in.

Same with the bakery. If the bread, or even half of the bread, goes to soldiers who will later try to kill you, you don't care about Geneva Conventions.
Is it your contention that this is Ukraine's position or is this your own?

KipPotapych

Zelensky also said, an emphasised even, that there should be proper rules for mobilisation, honnest rotation of fatiguated troops and proper training. In this respect, he repeats what all his generals told him.

Zhaluzhny said he needed haf a million new recruits. He didn't ask them to be sent to the front immediately, nonetheless, this number is irrealistic.

At the end, I don't think that Zelensky and Zaluzhny are at dagger out. It looks like Zaluzhny resigned, without formally telling so. The so called new commandment is still the old guard from 2014. Only Zaluzhny has been dismissed. And even so, I expect him to stay in the spotlight with another function. Well maybe a little bit less under the spotlight, but still there. He just won't have as much decisional power as before. I don't think that Zelensky has another vision. The vision os pretty clear for everybody. they just express different opinion or express the same opinions differently.
Here is what Zaluzhny said, taken from the Russian BBC (the first link that popped up on my search, though I was aiming for a Ukrainian outlet, but this is actually better), via Google translate:

Before the press conference, Zaluzhny, who very rarely gives comments to the media, briefly joined the national telethon and, in particular, commented on the statement of the President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky, who claimed that the military command proposed to mobilize 450-500 thousand recruits next year.

Zaluzhny specified that the General Staff "did not make any request for any figures," and the army is forming its needs, taking into account the current staffing, the formation of new military units and forecasts of losses that may be next year.

"We cannot voice this figure, because it is a military secret," he said. - We form requests for resources - for military equipment and people. We submit all these proposals to the Ministry of Defense, as a subject of legislative initiative, which further decides how to ensure it. We need shells, weapons and people. Everything else is carried out by bodies that have the authority."[…]

Zaluzhny noted that although the military worked in the working group to prepare documents, most of the provisions, especially those related directly to the mobilization of civilians and sanctions against evaders, were not developed at the General Staff.

"We are an army, and we must fight, not interfere in the lives of civilians," he stressed.

Answering the clarifying question of the BBC Ukrainian Service, Zaluzhny said that it was not the military leadership that initiated electronic subpoenas, which, as stated in the bill, could be sent to the e-mail or to the electronic office of the conscript.

Speaking about those liable abroad, Zaluzhny added that the Armed Forces of Ukraine do not intend to interfere in the lives of civilians who left the country.

"The Armed Forces of Ukraine should fight, in no way affect the civil life of our civilians, including those who have left our country. To do this, there are central executive authorities that must make a decision. I can't give this assessment and I don't want to do it, but I will be very glad if after a while I see them in the army and will be happy to organize training for them," said the Commander-in-Chief.[…]

About some of the positions of the bill, Zaluzhny was skeptical, in particular, about the provision on the mandatory rotation of the military after six months of hostilities.

"Of course, this norm is very interesting and, of course, I would like it to be. But again, our people are not at competitions now, it's not a show that the whole world is watching. The situation at the front depends on the enemy's actions. We cannot predict whether it will be six months, five or three," the commander-in-chief explained.

"If people offer to rotate every six months, they should understand that the combat composition of the troops should be at least doubled," he stressed.[…]

According to him, the General Staff and the Ministry of Defense agree to allow demobilization for those who have served continuously during martial law for more than 36 months, but only if the situation on the front does not escalate, because then the question will arise: how and by whom to replace experienced people who will leave the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

"I understand perfectly well that our fighters at the front are now in extremely difficult conditions," Zaluzhny said. "I hope that in 36 months we will cope with the task and replace these people."[…]

Commenting on certain areas, including the fierce battles for Bakhmut, which Russian troops took this summer, as well as the battles for Avdeevka and Maryinka, which are also under threat of complete capture, Zaluzhny noted that everything should be determined by military expediency.

"There is no need to focus on it and make a tragedy because of the loss of any settlement. The conduct of hostilities is subject to its own laws, regardless of whether commanders, politicians or journalists like it," he said.

Zaluzhny stressed that the Armed Forces of Ukraine will protect every piece of land, but if it is necessary to save people, "we will make this decision and save people."

He basically took his time to have a press conference, which was the first for him, and express his view from the horse’s mouth, so to speak; not what Zelensky said he said.

Note that he said that “people need to understand” that if they want to rotate personnel, they need to at least double the number of the said personnel. He was not the one who came up with the idea.

Also note that everything he said is common sense without contradictions. On the opposite end, Zelensky wants the rotations and all the other good things, yet says that 500K men is an unrealistic number. In that case, Zaluzhny explains, that the things they want are not going to happen because who is going to be left to fight.

What this shows, and in colours, is the obvious lack of resources - human, materiel, financial, etc - for Ukraine to fight this war with any hope of victory, which again has never been defined because returning to 1991 borders is a pipe dream that isn’t going to happen. Note that Zaluzhny also expressed that he will fight in Crimea or something along the lines, so he is a “dreamer” too, lol.

What this also shows, at least to me, that Zelensky simply got rid of the less agreeable man and replaced him with a more convenient and less opposing one.

The last quoted paragraph above is also likely a nod to Bakhmut, which Zelensky chose to defend “at all costs”, with Syrsky at his disposal. Syrsky also promised to take Bakhmut back with ten times less losses than Russians spent capturing it. He also said that the Russians were going to be encircled there and had to take advantage of the situation. Remember, that Zaluzhny’s nickname widely reported in the media is Iron General, while Syrsky has two, Bakhmut Butcher and General 200 or some such.

Edit: Forgot to indicate the source for the BBC article quoted above:

I am going to add a source to the last paragraph I wrote as well, re Syrsky and Bakhmut. Looks like I was a little off on the encirclement, but not far off:

"At the moment, the deployment of Russian troops resembles an arch, concentrated in Bakhmut. And they are under semi-encirclement. Well, it's impossible not to take advantage of that," the commander of Ukrainian forces in the east said in the interview.

Syrskyi noted that recapturing the city, taken by Russia in late May, has not only symbolic but also strategic value, as it represents a significant transport hub, allowing Russian forces further advances.

According to the general, the Wagner Group contractors who led the efforts to take the city suffered such heavy losses that they have been rendered unusable in combat. Ukraine will be able to capture Bakhmut with ten times smaller losses, Syrskyi said.

While admitting there is no clear timeframe for retaking the city, the general says it will be attempted as soon as possible.[…]

While Western observers and even President Volodymyr Zelensky noted a relatively slow advance of Ukraine's campaign, Syrskyi told ABC News on July 5 that the counteroffensive is developing according to plans.

Note the “strategic value” of Bakhmut justifying the offensive, while claimed a complete lack there of a few months earlier when Wagner was drilling through, lol.

Last edited:

Fredled

@KipPotapych In this telethon address, Zaluzhny defused misconception about mobilisation. Many people and journalists make a lot of hubbub about something that Zelensky heard from one general and had repeated out of context another day.

He made clear, from what you posted, that mobilisation rules and methods are decided by the civilian administration, not by the military.

KipPotapych said:
What this shows, and in colours, is the obvious lack of resources - human, materiel, financial, etc - for Ukraine to fight this war with any hope of victory, which again has never been defined because returning to 1991 borders is a pipe dream that isn’t going to happen. Note that Zaluzhny also expressed that he will fight in Crimea or something along the lines, so he is a “dreamer” too, lol.
The fact is that the Ukrainian forces can barely stop Russian advances for the moment. However the goal of retaking all the territories up to the 1991 borders is by no means crazy or irrealistic, including Crimea.

The 1991 borders are the legal borders of Ukraine and Ukrain has the right to retake these lands by force. One of the reason why a compromise is impossible is that Russia has no legal basis to claim any of these territories. To do this they have to defeat Russian forces occupying the territories. It looks unfeasible in the current situation. And if the situation doesn't evolve in favour of Ukraine, then of course, they will not reach their goal.

it doesn't mean that they won't. Things can change in the favour of Russia or of Ukraine unpredictably. This war is full of surprising events. It's not something that can be decided by political decisions. Zelensky can't say that they will retake the Donbas and give up Crimea or vice versa. In the same manner, Putin can;t say that he will annex Odessa, Kerson, Zaporyzhya, Lugansk and Donetsk, on top of Crimea. Each of them will get what they will be able to get by the sound of the guns.

Fredled

Feonor said:
Is it your contention that this is Ukraine's position or is this your own?
No, this is not my position. I don't try to justify these actions. I explained the logic behind it. Logic doesn't mean it's legal or good morally. The war logic is not something morally acceptable, yet it's done when a government or a population feel threatened or is under agression. That's why I said that war should avoided.

Of course nobody knew who was killed in Belgorod, and of course, the strike was indiscriminate. But odds are high that among those killed and wounded, there were people directly or indirectly involved in the military. Belgorod was the logistic hub for the Russian military since the start of the invasion. People live there and enjoy an economic activity linked to the killing of Ukrainians (I don't make the difference between killing Ukrainian soldiers or civilian. Both are crimes IMO).

Should a woman who receive the salary of her husband be legitimate target? Of course not. Neither her or her husband have chosen to fight against Ukrainians. Most of them would not go if they were given a choice. I know that some Russian soldiers, individually, refuse to shoot at Ukrainian soldiers. They will intentionally miss their target. Sometimes Ukrainian soldiers on the other side notice that and do the same. Sometimes Russian and Ukrainian soldiers talk to each other from their trench and agree not to shoot at each other.

But collectively the Russian army do kill Ukrainians by the thousands, and this money is rewarding these murders.

I think that the Ukrainian leadership or at least the local leadership may have had two goals:
1/ They didn't want the people in Belgorod to feel that life can go as usual while their city is used for the war machine against Ukraine
2/ They wanted people to exit the city and go live far from this region. Less people, less workers for the logistic.

Ukrainians don't make only indiscriminate strikes. (It's rather the exception I would say.) A few days ago they blew up the car of a bomber pilot while he was driving to the base.
Terrorism, war crime or legitimate hit? A lawyer would love to make the case. For the Ukrainian intelligence operatives the question is not even considered.

Fredled

@KipPotapych I addition to what i wrote before: I don't think that there were unilateral decisions by Zelensky or anyone to keep Bahkmut ot Sivierodonesk or any other place at any cost. Even if someone had talked in this sens, on the ground, both the Ukrainian and the Russian armies try to advance as much as possible or to prevent the other to advance as much as possible, no matter where they are. They are pushing each others back and forth without definite target.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It appears Avdeevka is about to fall. According to Suriyakmaps Russian forces are ~300m from the Ukrainian MSR, and are advancing in a flower pattern (multiple directions from the breakthrough). Other sources are more cautious, reporting the advances that Suriyakmaps reported over the past couple of days. I'll try to do a more detailed update later today, the front has started moving near Sin'kovka again, and Russian forces are assaulting Novomihailovka too.

Fredled

It appears Avdeevka is about to fall. According to Suriyakmaps Russian forces are ~300m from the Ukrainian MSR, and are advancing in a flower pattern (multiple directions from the breakthrough). Other sources are more cautious, reporting the advances that Suriyakmaps reported over the past couple of days. I'll try to do a more detailed update later today, the front has started moving near Sin'kovka again, and Russian forces are assaulting Novomihailovka too.

Their goal was the automobile depot. LOL.

"Decisive for the outcome" is a bit an overstatement. It will just kick the can by this much. Only a question of readjusting artillery fire.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Their goal was the automobile depot. LOL.

"Decisive for the outcome" is a bit an overstatement. It will just kick the can by this much. Only a question of readjusting artillery fire.
I don't know what map you're looking at. It's clear that Russian forces are very close to Ukraine's MSR for practically all off Avdeevka. That's the decisive outcome they're referring to. Take that and it's unclear even the Khimik neighborhood could be defended. Look at Ukrainian positions in the south-west, the former airbase and the road junction. What does their supply route and possible retreat path look like if Russian forces hold industrial avenue? What about Ukrainian forces holding the filtration station in the south-east?

Armchair

I don't know. If they were soldiers in uniform at a time of war, I would argue this is a legitimate target, but I'm honestly not 100% clear on this. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can weigh in.
That more knowledgeable person (not claiming that is me) would first need to accept that Russia actually has legitimate targets in Ukraine. Russia invaded another country on spurious grounds (not relating to self-defence). A (hypothetical) tribunal considering the specific incident would also want to know what Russian rules of engagement for the “special military operation” were and whether they were being followed in that case.

More broadly I would suggest Russian actions do not provide the standard for deciding whether Ukrainian actions constitute war crimes (any more than the October 2023 atrocities provide a standard for judging Israeli actions). A definitive resolution of this case would not therefore advance the matter you were discussing.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
That more knowledgeable person (not claiming that is me) would first need to accept that Russia actually has legitimate targets in Ukraine. Russia invaded another country on spurious grounds (not relating to self-defence). A (hypothetical) tribunal considering the specific incident would also want to know what Russian rules of engagement for the “special military operation” were and whether they were being followed in that case.

More broadly I would suggest Russian actions do not provide the standard for deciding whether Ukrainian actions constitute war crimes (any more than the October 2023 atrocities provide a standard for judging Israeli actions). A definitive resolution of this case would not therefore advance the matter you were discussing.
I believe there is the question of whether the war is legal, and the question whether specific actions in that war constitute war crimes or not. These are two separate matters. It's possible to fight a legal war but engage in illegal conduct. For example, Ukrainian execution of a Russian POW would constitute a war crime. It is also possible to engage in an illegal war but but use means that are not illegal. For example a Russian tank firing on a Ukrainian tank would not itself constitute a war crime. The term "legitimate" is somewhat more nebulous then the more limited term "legal" so I take your point there. I hope my explanation clarifies my point. I don't know whether it is legal in war time to target enemy soldiers who are off duty and out of uniform. Russian actions and Ukrainian actions do not provide any standards for deciding whether anything is a war crime. The standard is the existing law on the matter. The actions should be judged, from both sides in light of the same legal standards. If it is illegal to fire an MLRS indiscriminately into the center of a town, it doesn't matter which side engaged in this conduct. The conduct itself is the issue.

I believe there is the question of whether the war is legal, and the question whether specific actions in that war constitute war crimes or not. These are two separate matters. It's possible to fight a legal war but engage in illegal conduct. For example, Ukrainian execution of a Russian POW would constitute a war crime. It is also possible to engage in an illegal war but but use means that are not illegal. For example a Russian tank firing on a Ukrainian tank would not itself constitute a war crime. The term "legitimate" is somewhat more nebulous then the more limited term "legal" so I take your point there. I hope my explanation clarifies my point. I don't know whether it is legal in war time to target enemy soldiers who are off duty and out of uniform. Russian actions and Ukrainian actions do not provide any standards for deciding whether anything is a war crime. The standard is the existing law on the matter. The actions should be judged, from both sides in light of the same legal standards. If it is illegal to fire an MLRS indiscriminately into the center of a town, it doesn't matter which side engaged in this conduct. The conduct itself is the issue.
Just out of curiosity, which do you consider the worst of two evils? The entity that goes out of their way to minimise collateral damage but occasionally commits a war crime or the entity that routinely and very often commits war crimes and doesn't really seem to care about collateral damage?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just out of curiosity, which do you consider the worst of two evils? The entity that goes out of their way to minimise collateral damage but occasionally commits a war crime or the entity that routinely and very often commits war crimes and doesn't really seem to care about collateral damage?
On the facts presented in this hypothetical obviously the one that very often commits war crimes and doesn't care about collateral damage is worse. However I suspect you and I will disagree about which side in the conflict is which.

On the facts presented in this hypothetical obviously the one that very often commits war crimes and doesn't care about collateral damage is worse. However I suspect you and I will disagree about which side in the conflict is which.
Yep, I suspect we do.

Fredled

OK, let's compare the numbers: How many civilians have been killed by indiscriminate or careless strikes on non-military targets by Ukrainian forces since 2022? ==> 100 max.
How many by the Russian forces? (the official number from the UN will suffice)