The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

relic88

One of the governors in Russia signed a law (?) about bounties for the MBT’s provided by the west, lol. Interestingly, he values Leo’s more than Abrams, haha (via google translate):

The head of the Trans-Baikal Territory Alexander Osipov signed a document according to which Russian servicemen will receive payments for the destruction and seizure of Leopard tanks supplied to the Armed Forces of Ukraine (AFU). The text of the document signed by Osipov is published by the publication "Trans-Baikal Worker" - the government bulletin of the region.

According to the decree of the Russian governor, the Russian military will be paid three million rubles for the capture of such a tank, and one million rubles for destruction. In addition to the main participant in the destruction or seizure, the decree allows the presence of assistants of up to ten people, they are also entitled to payments.

The governor of Transbaikalia estimated Abrams tanks cheaper - he promised one and a half million rubles for the seizure of such equipment, and 500 thousand for destruction.

Also funny, he had to mention:

At the same time, the author of the document gave recommendations to the servicemen regarding their "remult" in the seizure of foreign weapons. "To recommend to persons participating in a special military operation, when capturing (destroying) tanks specified in paragraph 1 of this resolution, to restrain courage and distance to reasonable limits," the third paragraph of the published document reads.

“To restrain courage and distance to reasonable limits”. Lol.

Well, good luck with that. Giving incentives for specific but non tactical/strategic goals is a recipe for hot garbage. So are we going to have Wagner criminals or regular RU troops running around like chickens with their heads cut off hunting Leopards? Its comical.

T.C.P

this is a fantastic video from around Kherson I believe. A single T-72 (russian) holds off an entire armoured column with a bit of Artillery support-

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineRussiaReport/comments/10muegb
A lot of people question a tanks role in modern battlefields, but if anything, the success of well supported tank groups has been even more highlighted in this war. This video is just one example.

There were seevral vdieos of 2 T-64 (UKR) ambushing and taking out Russian tanks and IFVs and we saw the prowess of hardened DPR tank groups, the proven ones with the newer T-72s.

If Ukraine can quickly get there 300 new tanks ready with proper crews and support, they will make a difference in battles. And as a basic armchairobserver, I cant wait to see how the Challengers in particular stand up to Russian Kornets, Shutrms, Vikhrs and Atakas. We should also get vdieos of lancet attacks on Abrams. I know that the Ukr Abrams wont get the DU armour, but if lancets can damage or even take out the downgraded abrams, we can expect a surge in demand worldwide for such systems.

Are any of the donated tanks coming with hard kill APS? If they do, the perfromance of these systems against Loitering munitions and drone drop AT bombs will be of great interest to all nations.

relic88

this is a fantastic video from around Kherson I believe. A single T-72 (russian) holds off an entire armoured column with a bit of Artillery support-

A lot of people question a tanks role in modern battlefields, but if anything, the success of well supported tank groups has been even more highlighted in this war. This video is just one example.

There were seevral vdieos of 2 T-64 (UKR) ambushing and taking out Russian tanks and IFVs and we saw the prowess of hardened DPR tank groups, the proven ones with the newer T-72s.

If Ukraine can quickly get there 300 new tanks ready with proper crews and support, they will make a difference in battles. And as a basic armchairobserver, I cant wait to see how the Challengers in particular stand up to Russian Kornets, Shutrms, Vikhrs and Atakas. We should also get vdieos of lancet attacks on Abrams. I know that the Ukr Abrams wont get the DU armour, but if lancets can damage or even take out the downgraded abrams, we can expect a surge in demand worldwide for such systems.

Are any of the donated tanks coming with hard kill APS? If they do, the perfromance of these systems against Loitering munitions and drone drop AT bombs will be of great interest to all nations.
Looks like spring or summer footage. Not that is matters. A few posts above mentions that M1s are almost a year away. Maybe Leopards can arrive sooner. EDIT: Its says right in the title Summer...sheesh (smacks forehead)

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Off course for you everything coming from Russia is lies. Getting balance view is foolish.
Official Russian sources and Russian media have given us no reason to accept the veracity of their claims. They are full of spin and propaganda. The Ukrainian claims are treated as such too. A balanced view is difficult to achieve and you are aware of that my friend. However maybe you should view matters through your analytical lens rather than an emotional lens.
It's clear that Abrams are 100x better than whatever tanks Ukraine had. We saw the results when NATO fought against Iraq in the Gulf War who had a lot of the old tanks that Russia is currently using. The NATO forces destroyed 3,300 Iraqi tanks compared to losing 31 tanks. If you do the math, that's a 106-1 kill ratio right in line with the 100x better number I said.

We saw how much damage Ukraine did with the few HIMARS they had. Ukraine only has 16 HIMARS. The US has 410 of them and Romania has 54. That's 29x more HIMARS.

I don't even need to get into the F16/18/35 which is in the order of magnitudes more effective than Ukraine's non-existent Air Force.
"It's clear that Abrams are 100x better than whatever tanks Ukraine had." Since when? That's a real exaggeration and as such a foolhardy claim.

"The NATO forces destroyed 3,300 Iraqi tanks compared to losing 31 tanks. If you do the math, that's a 106-1 kill ratio right in line with the 100x better number I said." Only because they had complete command of the air. Saddam had one of the best IADS in the world and it was only through clever tactics and doing unique operations that the Coalition NOT NATO was able to disassemble Saddam's IADS. It suffered a rapid unexpected disassembly. Both the Russians and CCP / PRC avidly studied the US lead shock and awe strategy, and the will have learned some serious and important lessons. It is
There is a clear distinction between whether you trust Russian-run referendums or not, and whether one should even get to have one. The position of Ukraine and it's foreign backers is simple. No referendum, no secession, no matter what.
Regardless of what you think, Ukraine is in a state of war with Russia and Ukraine has every right to take the view of no referendums. Russia has been occupying sovereign Ukrainian territory since 2014 and its invasion has no legal or moral grounds whatsoever. Putin's so called Special Military Operation is nothing but a war of wanton aggression and his attacks on Ukraine were unprovoked. His forces, regular and irregular, have also committed crimes against humanity in Ukraine. That's the facts on the ground.
Ukraine doesen't have the reach to stop the manufacture of Iranian drones which have caused so much destruction in their country. They also do not have the reach to stop the launch of these drones. They are asking for military action against another country.

It looks like there has been a reply to their request..

It's very difficult to associate these attacks in Iran with any Ukrainian "request". I have very strong suspicions of who the culprit is and it was done strictly out of their own national interest and nothing else.

NOT AIMED AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR.

Can posters please remember to moderate their language. There is no need for obscene language or allusions to it. Thank you.

swerve

Super Moderator
That's still debateable, whether those 'modern' western weapons really provide better performance on much bigger proportion then Ukranian own stocks. Each sides reports shown different effect on those Western weapons vis a vis Ukranian own stocks.
They've hit, accurately, targets that none of their old weapons could, such as ammunition & fuel depots too far behind the lines to be hit by any of their old weapons except unguided rockets. The Ukrainian campaign against Russian logistics, using HIMARS, seems to have been very successful.

And so on . . . .

Ananda

The Bunker Group
A balanced view is difficult to achieve and you are aware of that my friend. However maybe you should view matters through your analytical lens rather than an emotional lens.
My Bad, some round around arguments seems bring worse side of me :D.

swerve

Super Moderator
Off course for you everything coming from Russia is lies. Getting balance view is foolish.
A balanced view should take into account the fact that the Russian government lies so much that it contradicts itself, & lies openly to people it knows know that it's lying. It often doesn't even pretend to be telling the truth. Much of the time the point is not that it is trying to deceive, but that it lies as a demonstration of power: Russians, & those who wish to associate with Russia, must demonstrate their loyalty by accepting the lies. If Putin complained on a fine summer day about imaginary snowdrifts blocking the streets, he'd expect everyone to agree with him.

You're a clever bloke. Why don't you see this? The Russian state tells the truth sometimes, but it lies so much (& often when the only purpose is to show that it can) that absolutely nothing it says can be trusted.

You may not have been aware of it, but in 2018 two Russian agents tried to poison a Russian defector licing in the UK with a nerve agent called Novichok. An innocent local was killed. We know who they are (real names, real jobs), how they got to Salisbury, where their intended victim lived - everything. They say they went there to look at the cathedral, & ended up near the intended victim's house because they went the wrong way. That is a blatant, obvious lie. To get there they had to walk in exactly the opposite direction to the cathedral, & it's impossible for them not to have seen that they were walking the wrong way. I've been that way, & all you have to do is look over your shoulder & you can't miss seeing the cathedral. It towers over everything.

The Russian government has, from the start, backed their story, including the obvious lies. Why? To show power. They know that the lies are obvious, & everyone knows they're lying. They don't care. The point is that they expect their supporters to agree with them even though the lies are obvious.

You know what they think is really funny? The fact that there are people who actually believe them! They look down on such people.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Why don't you see this? The Russian state tells the truth sometimes, but it lies so much (& often when the only purpose is to show that it can) that absolutely nothing it says can be trusted.
I already see that, and from beginning I also say this war is also war of propaganda. What I don't want to take is blatant view from Western media as trustworthy source only. Yes Russian and Ukrainian are on propaganda mode, but doesn't meant Western ones is not on that mode also.

Take balance view is to assess all sources, and cross it to others, to see which more likely tell the truth. Balance view on this war practically put every sources on benefits of doubts. Some Russian telegrams also provide some truths, if we sort it out carefully. Crossing Russian, Ukrainian and Western or Non Western sources eventually will shown the more likely situation in the ground.

That's why I don't see Western Assets that being given to Ukraine give substantial advantage from what Ukrainian own stocks. Some give better performance, some don't. Is mix results, which somehow Turkiye sources sum it up relatively more balance in some occasion.

swerve

Super Moderator
A lot of what western countries have given to Ukraine is old, retired from front line service & in reserve, or even sold off to industry for disposal & bought back to give to Ukraine.

The Ukrainians know what works well, & they ask for more of it. And it isn't ex-Soviet weaponry (though they won't turn that down).

seaspear

When you refer to Western media which organisations are you referring to? Are there any news media from countries with a democratically elected government that you believe we can trust , please feel free to divulge your own sources .

Ananda

The Bunker Group
The Ukrainians know what works well, & they ask for more of it. And it isn't ex-Soviet weaponry (though they won't turn that down).
I never say it is not work well, I just say it didn't give substantial better performance then what Ukranian own stocks has. Ukrainian ask more because one of thing is their own stocks is also depleting. They need arms and now Western sources is what more likely they can got.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
You want to sources what you believe feel free to do it. I also free to do how I believe provide more balanced view on my understanding. This kind of round a round arguments that I promise Ngati I will not dwell much more. As it is pointless.

So don't put arguments on democratically elected government as a definite trustworthy ones. Every one has their own agenda. If you want to only trust from sources from a 'democratically' countries, well it is your own choice.

Stampede

Are any of the donated tanks coming with hard kill APS? If they do, the performance of these systems against Loitering munitions and drone drop AT bombs will be of great interest to all nations.
Something to note is how confusing the battle space is from this birds-eye view.
For the solders on the ground on both sides even more so.

A lot of talk of new equipment and this versus that ,but lets not underestimate the training needed to professionally operate these systems.
This 6 minute Vid clearly shows how fluid things are in a short amount of time.
For the commanders navigating this realm this is challenging stuff.

Also of note are the large amount of shell craters across the fields.

I trust the Ukrainian solders being equipped with this new equipment are trained sufficiently to not only work each given platform but also operate as part of a larger group.

Unfortunately some skill sets just take time.

Cheers S

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update. Dec 23rd-.26th

Kherson-Nikolaev-Odessa.

Russian MLRS fires towards Kherson.

Russia has hit Kherson again, this time with significant civilian casualties. 16 killed and 71 wounded reported so far. Some impacts hit the hospital.

Allegedly Ukrainian S-300 launch, Kherson region.

Battle damage to a hangar Ukrainian forces allegedly used for munition storage.

Zaporozhye-Dnepropetrovsk.

A destroyed Ukrainian Krab in Dnepropetrovsk, being hauled away.

Battle damage from a Russian strike in the suburbs of Zaporozhye.

Russian Buk-M2 operations in Zaporozhye area.

Russian construction of defense lines in Zaporozhye continues.

Oskol Front.

76th VDV artillery firing on the Svatovo axis. Note the cannon. It's either a Msta-B or a D-20, can't tell myself. But pre-war the VDV only had D-30s and Nona-S.

Two Ukrainian BTR-4s allegedly knocked out near Svatovo.

LDNR Front.

Battle damage to Bogorodichnoe village, near Slavyansk.

More Russian strikes against Kramatorsk. It's possible that it's serving as a rear-end hub for Ukrainian forces in the Seversk or even Artemovsk/Bakhmut area.

Allegedly destroyed Ukrainian army wheeled vehicles near Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

A building burns in Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Ukrainian VAB on the streets of Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Wagner fighters operating the Pantsyr-S1, near Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Wagner fighters had some unkind words for Gerasimov, following this Prigozhin personally met with allegedly those same fighters.

Assorted footage from inside Artemovsk/Bakhmut where some civilians still remain.

DNR ATGM team fires on a suspected Ukrainian LP/OP near Dzerzhisnk.

Sparta btln quadcopter munition drops in the Vodyanoe-Pervomayskoe area.

In Mar'inka Russian forces took a Ukrainian position, and captured 4 POWs. All were mobilized from Kherson.

Ukrainian 35th MarBde MRAPs in Mar'inka.

Footage of Mar'inka. The town is basically destroyed.

Allegedly a downed Switchblade-300 loitering munition, DNR area.

DNR forces operating the antiquated Osa SAM.

Shelling of Donetsk continues, the hospital got hit again.

Reportedly a former Azov fighter being detained by Russian security forces in LNR area.

Russian reconstruction efforts in Mariupol' continue.

Russia.

Allegedly a team of Ukrainian infiltrators were killed sneaking into Bryansk region, Russia. Warning footage of corpses.

Two trains meet, one taking damaged T-62Ms away to be repaired, the other bringing up fresh T-90Ms and T-72B3s mod'22s.

Another Russian troop train, carrying at least 13 T-62s.

Russia is reportedly planning on replicating the Gudermes training center in other regions of Russia.

Misc.

Russian Mohajer-6 or Forpost-RU dropping a bomb on a Ukrainian truck, location unclear.

Russian anti-UAV detachment from the 238th Arty Bde. A few interesting details, they appear to be using a Lada Niva SUV for transport, painted white no less. Also normally arty bdes don't even have their own anti-air, but here they have their own anti-UAV. I suspect this is because of the threat posed by enemy UAVs combined with poor coordination with relevant assets from other units.

Ukrainian MT-12 mounted on MT-LB improvised SP artillery. Note they're using it as indirect fire, even though the M-12 is an anti-tank gun. Russian rebels have used them in a similar manner, though towed.

Russian T-72B3 firing a Refleks ATGM at Ukrainian forces.

Ukraine's only 2S22 Bogdana prototype is apparently somewhere on the front line.

A destroyed Mastiff MRAP, location and context unclear.

Two T-90Ms, one destroyed one knocked out. Location and context unclear.

Ukrainian Su-24Ms going by at low altitude with what appears to be a Kh-25 missile.

Ukrainian forces operating a Humvee with a dual-mount Stinger set up. Location and context unclear.

Mobilized soldiers from Kuban' doing basic infantry training, somewhere near the front line.

Russian Tayfun-VDV in Ukraine with a Spitsa 30mm autocannon module.

NATO/EU.

We have first footage of Ukrainian forces using the Biber bridgelayer.

KipPotapych

Something to note is how confusing the battle space is from this birds-eye view.
For the solders on the ground on both sides even more so.
That was the first thing I thought when I watched the vid.

It looks like some longer range stuff is coming but no LRM’s yet.

The USAI funds would go toward the purchase of a new weapon, the Ground Launched Small Diameter Bomb (GLSDB) made by Boeing Co (BA.N), which have a range of 94 miles (150 km). The United States has rebuffed Ukraine's requests for the 185-mile (297-km) range ATACMS missile.

And some other things in total costing another $2B.

I read the other day Reznikov (I believe it was him giving the interview) saying that at first, there was a definite no as an answer to Stringers, but in the end they received everything they asked for including the tanks, so he anticipates it will be the same with jets and LRM’s.

In marketing (well, psychology, really, but is adopted and successfully used in marketing and sales), there is a concept of commitment. When a person (or a society as whole) is reluctant to commit to something, they are encouraged to commit to something significantly smaller and, after committing to a little more a few times, generally ends up going all out no matter what the risks/costs are because those risks/costs appear to be so blurred that they are perceived to be practically nonexistent or, at the very least, drastically reduced even though the risks/costs actually remain the same as they were when the person assessed them before making the first commitment and thought that the risks/costs perhaps outweighed the benefits. So I don’t think that Reznikov is necessarily wrong in his prediction/anticipation.

I will probably come back to this later when I have more time.

KipPotapych

I stumbled upon the following article (while looking for something else that I have been thinking about today), which goes well with my post above. The article is titled “Biden’s ‘no’ on F-16s for Ukraine met with skepticism in Pentagon”. Then it goes on to say “The administration has exhibited a pattern of rejecting similar pleas from the government in Kyiv only to relent later”. Here is the first half or so of it (it’s behind a paywall for so I figured I’d post more than a usual excerpt):

President Biden’s brusque refusal to fulfill Ukraine’s request for F-16 jets has been greeted with skepticism at the Pentagon, where some officials, citing the administration’s pattern of reversal after first rejecting other pleas from Kyiv, foresee eventual approval or a scenario where American allies provide the aircraft with administration approval.

The conjecture among U.S. defense officials follows the commander in chief’s one-word response on Monday when a reporter asked outside the White House if he would send F-16s to Ukraine. “No,” Biden replied.

One senior defense official, who, like some others interviewed for this report, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations, said that while the Pentagon’s calculus was unlikely to shift soon, there remains a possibility that the discussion could be “M1-ed,” a reference to Biden’s recent commitment of M1 Abrams tanks after administration officials suggested for months that the sophisticated arms would be too complex for Ukraine to maintain.

Another senior defense official acknowledged that there is growing frustration in the Pentagon among those who want to do more to help Ukraine but find their views stymied by others who favor a more cautious approach. This official said that while Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and some of his senior staff were reluctant to approve the Abrams tanks and, weeks before that, the advanced Patriot missile system, Biden eventually did so.

The rest of the article is a good (quick, unless it is updated to include more) read too, discussing the opinions of why the jets should be sent and why they shouldn’t. I thought this was pretty funny:

Another retired Air Force general, Herbert “Hawk” Carlisle, said he also favors sending F-16s to Ukraine and beginning pilot training.

As they say, the name checks out? Lol.

And, as my personal confirmation bias, I’ll post another excerpt that relates to my previous comment, which is I do not believe they can operate safely within the front line making a difference (along with , so these planes really are a moot point:

Other analysts are wary of the Biden administration continuing to increase its involvement in the war. Daniel Davis, a retired Army officer and senior fellow with Defense Priorities, said that it is unreasonable to expect that Ukrainian pilots can master the F-16 in just a few months and that the continued threat of Russian air defenses makes it unlikely that the jets are a game changer.

“Even American F-16 pilots would struggle against Russian air defense,” he said. “There’s no reason to think that they’re going to be impervious to that.”

That, probably, makes it close to the entire article.

@KipPotapych What is the source for this article? You have been on here long enough to know the rules.

Ngatimozart.

Last edited by a moderator:

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
It may be that the US is in the process of brokering deals to find other former Warsaw pact aircraft - if they knew for instance that they were close to being able to find a dozen or so useful airframes which could be refurbished or made ready for use in a short period of time, then adding F16s would be a distraction.

That would tally with a firm "no" about F16s. If not, I'll take that as a "No, not yet"

seaspear

Certainly other N.A.T.O countries have proposed sending the F-16, but there may be some provision of the sale of the jet by the U.S to other countries these jets may only be passed on with U.S approval ,
Dutch Open To Transferring F-16 Jets To Ukraine (Updated) | The Drive
Ukraine could get F16 fighter jets from Poland, say reports (interestingengineering.com)
Which countries want to send fighter jets to Ukraine? Here’s what we know - AeroTime
I would suspect that the Gripen fighter as would be preferable for Ukraine for its dispersal abilities on austere landing stips and that flight crews would need less training
Think tank suggests transferring Gripen fighters to Ukraine as soon as possible (aviacionline.com)

KipPotapych

There is lots of speculation on F16s but the US as holder of export licenses will need to authorise any export and there has been no signals from the US administration that they are headed down that track yet. That being the case I again ask the question why not revisit the delivery of the Polish and Slovakia MIGs? It’s an immediate solution for getting more combat aircraft into Ukrainian hands.
It may be that the US is in the process of brokering deals to find other former Warsaw pact aircraft - if they knew for instance that they were close to being able to find a dozen or so useful airframes which could be refurbished or made ready for use in a short period of time, then adding F16s would be a distraction.

That would tally with a firm "no" about F16s. If not, I'll take that as a "No, not yet"
That certainly may be the case, as was indicated by a post a few days ago (pardon for quoting myself):

There is lots of speculation on F16s but the US as holder of export licenses will need to authorise any export and there has been no signals from the US administration that they are headed down that track yet. That being the case I again ask the question why not revisit the delivery of the Polish and Slovakia MIGs? It’s an immediate solution for getting more combat aircraft into Ukrainian hands.
^ They are revisiting it. They are saying they are ready to send their T-72, given they get replaced with the western tanks, and MIG’s are in play. Furthermore, they are willing to provide F-16 training to the Ukrainian pilots once they receive the planes.

This brings the questions: Do the Ukes even have enough pilots left to fly those planes? Do they have any airfields left to take off from and land to?
What seaspear said as well, which also was mentioned previously.

I would imagine, however, that they (Americans) are trying to minimize the risks. And, again, I really do not believe they can operate F-16 in the current conditions and there are no indications for these conditions to change any time soon. Gripen may be a better option but (more than) half of the concerns still remain (being pilot availability and training and Russian air defence).

Edit: I have not seen it mentioned, I don’t believe/recall. But for the sake of an argument and mental exercise, let’s assume planes were a go, what are they going to be carrying?