The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, I think the long-established population of Crimea should be consulted, & their wishes should be a major factor - but recent history has to be borne in mind. Perhaps Crimea could be a demilitarised region of Russia. But pre-2014 inhabitants should all have a vote, lost property should be restored, & the rights of minorities should be protected. I don't see any of that happening under Putin or a government backed by him. It makes Crimea tricky to deal with.

BTW, Crimeans voted for independence from the USSR in 1991, though not with the sort of majorities seen in the rest of Ukraine - & because of relatively low turnouts, a minority of the electorate.

In Donetsk, Luhansk, Odessa & Kharkiv oblasts between 64 & 68% of the electorate (not just those who voted) voted for Ukrainian independence in 1991. Of course, that could have changed, but it's still the only credible vote on the topic there's been.
Ok so if by consulted you're thinking of a non-binding opinion poll to be regarded or disregarded I don't see how that helps. But if you're saying a binding referendum, then you've just taken Russia's view of the situation. Let the locals decide. This view runs completely counter to Ukraine's position, and that of Ukraine's western backers.

EDIT: On the subject of referendum's, the March 17th referendum had Ukraine voting to preserve the union. I suppose you could call it "not credible" if you like.

Stuart M

To argue anything as "legally' in this case you would need to cite international law that covers it
International law has nothing to do with it, it's a question of Ukrainian MIC owned and run by Ukrainian government in Poland and that will make it a target, that if attacked by Russia, will in all probability lead to a rapid escalation spiral resulting in use of nuclear weapons.
Which is why no one is going to risk having Ukrainian MIC in their nation.

relic88

Took a gander around the nuances of maintaining the steel beasts UKR is getting. Numbers of tanks are mentioned but no mention of recovery vehicles and all of the tail end stuff is apparent. Found this interesting video of a power pack swap in a LEO. Going by the video run time, it takes about 30 minutes to swap power packs for a LEO. This is the kind of skills UKR will need to absorb.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update Dec 20th-22nd

Kherson-Nikolaev-Odessa.

Russian loitering munition strikes against two Ukrainian M777s on the Kherson axis.

Allegedly Russian incendiary strikes in Kherson.

Oskol Front.

Russian Don Cossack irregulars dropping grenades from a quadcopter on Ukrainian positions near Kremennaya.

A destroyed tank, allegedly Ukrainian, near Kremennaya. The source claims the tank was taken out by a T-90M that managed to get behind them. A closer look at the turret suggests it's carrying K-5 tiles. Normally I'd assume the destroyed tank was in fact Russian, but iirc Ukraine's 30th Mech Bde, riding captured Russian tanks, is in this area. Some observers suggest the destroyed tank is a T-80BVM.

Russian forces are reporting some advances towards Kupyansk, taking the village of Masyutovka.

LDNR Front.

A destroyed BMP-2 allegedly Ukrainian in Donetsk region. Context unclear.

DNR 3rd Brigade firing on Ukrainian positions.

Ukrainian MANPADS teams attempt to but fail to down a Russian Su-25 near Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Footage of a fire fight inside Artemovsk/Bakhmut from the Ukrainian side.

Allegedly Ukrainian BTR-80 destroyed by a tank shell near Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Ukrainian mortar ops inside Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

A Ukrainian T-72M1 upgraded, maneuvering in the yard of an apartment building, Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

More footage of Ukrainian forces preparing Artemovsk/Bakhmut for street battles.

TRF1 howitzers, near Artemovsk/Bakhmut. Relatively new arrivals.

What appear to be fresh T-90Ms in Lugansk region. This is a great illustration for the need for modern tanks for Ukraine. Going up against these in T-72M1s is borderline suicidal.

Dmitriy Rogozin, on a visit to Donetsk, was apparently wounded during a Ukrainian shelling of the restaurant he was at. 1 civilian reported killed, either his bodyguard or a bystander.

Other shelling of Donetsk also continues.

Russia.

Russian defense line in Belgorod region.

Misc.

Russian Ka-52 taking out allegedly a Ukrainian armored car. Location and context unclear.

A Russian LMUR strike, against a building. Location and context unclear.

Allegedly a Ukrainian MLRS getting hit by a Russian Krasnopol' ground. We can see the MLRS fires.

Russian Forpost-R strike against allegedly a Ukrainian armored car.

Allegedly a Ukrainian army SUV getting hit by a grenade drop from a quadcopter.

Allegedly a Pantsyr downing 4/6 GMLRS rockets, with the other two landing nearby.

A downed allegedly Ukrainian agricultural UAV refitted for combat use.

Ukrainian BMP-2 captured, location and context unclear. Note the up-armored sides.

Russian loitering munition stuck in the netting put up over a Ukrainian T-72.

An interesting look of a tank-chassis engineers vehicle being used to tow a stuck Humvee because the roads are that bad. Note this is both an excellent illustration of why Soviet armored vehicles had such high mobility requirements, and likely applies to Russian forces as well as more and more transition to wheeled transport.

Russian upgraded AGS-17s and AGS-30s have shown up in the war zone. This seems to be part of a pattern of gearing up the MIC in every area possible.

French-supplied M-270s have shown up in Ukraine.

Ukraine has begun up-armoring their locomotives, presumably to minimize damage from potential Russian strikes.

The World.

Volga-Dnepr An-124s have apparently been flying to China, for unclear purposes.

Redshift

Took a gander around the nuances of maintaining the steel beasts UKR is getting. Numbers of tanks are mentioned but no mention of recovery vehicles and all of the tail end stuff is apparent. Found this interesting video of a power pack swap in a LEO. Going by the video run time, it takes about 30 minutes to swap power packs for a LEO. This is the kind of skills UKR will need to absorb.

The announcement of the UK Challenger 2 tanks includes recovery and repair assets.

Quote below taken from the linked article.

"A squadron of Challenger 2 tanks with armoured recovery and repair vehicles"

swerve

Super Moderator
That's back to old arguments that what Ukrainian ground forces has thrown so far, is significantly much weaker then what NATO ground forces capable to throw. Thus Russian ground forces will not have chances if 'real' NATO ground forces come out to face them.

Well there's enough studies even by Western analysts that shown what Ukrainian thrown toward Russian, not something that most NATO members can thrown. Indicating Ukranian ground forces is not weaker then NATO ones. Which again back to arguments is Russian now bog down by much weaker ground forces compare to NATO ones, or actually a comparable ones.

Thus back toward whether this war already depleting Russian ground forces, or the war manage actually rebuild Russian dormant capacities. All raise question if NATO ground forces can 'easily' destroy Russian conventional forces, just because they're now bog down by supposedly 'weak' Ukrainian by NATO standard.
The Ukrainian army had a lot of old tanks, old artillery, & old rocket launchers. The total volume of fire it could generate was impressive, but the modern western weapons it's been given have had an effect greatly out of proportion to numbers. So don't look at crude firepower, but consider the effect of ten times as many HIMARS, CAESAR & PzH2000, M1A2 & Leopard 2A5/6/7 instead of T-64/72/80, etc., & the sky controlled by NATO aircraft with PGMs in very large numbers.

seaspear

Especially now since Russia has expended vast amounts of its munitions and had significant losses of personnel and material in this war

SolarisKenzo

Some of the major news websites and agencies are reporting that Italy and France will send 700 Aster30 missiles to Ukraine.
This Is a FAKE NEWS.
The missiles were bought jointly and will be delivered to italian and french Armed Forces.
The delivery wont start apparently before 2025.
I posted the link in the proper 3d, but since the main italian media Just reported this fake news, I wanted to point It out.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
but the modern western weapons it's been given have had an effect greatly out of proportion to numbers.
That's still debateable, whether those 'modern' western weapons really provide better performance on much bigger proportion then Ukranian own stocks. Each sides reports shown different effect on those Western weapons vis a vis Ukranian own stocks.

Dex

That's still debateable, whether those 'modern' western weapons really provide better performance on much bigger proportion then Ukranian own stocks. Each sides reports shown different effect on those Western weapons vis a vis Ukranian own stocks.
It's clear that Abrams are 100x better than whatever tanks Ukraine had. We saw the results when NATO fought against Iraq in the Gulf War who had a lot of the old tanks that Russia is currently using. The NATO forces destroyed 3,300 Iraqi tanks compared to losing 31 tanks. If you do the math, that's a 106-1 kill ratio right in line with the 100x better number I said.

We saw how much damage Ukraine did with the few HIMARS they had. Ukraine only has 16 HIMARS. The US has 410 of them and Romania has 54. That's 29x more HIMARS.

I don't even need to get into the F16/18/35 which is in the order of magnitudes more effective than Ukraine's non-existent Air Force.

It's clear that Abrams are 100x better than whatever tanks Ukraine had. We saw the results when NATO fought against Iraq in the Gulf War who had a lot of the old tanks that Russia is currently using. The NATO forces destroyed 3,300 Iraqi tanks compared to losing 31 tanks. If you do the math, that's a 106-1 kill ratio right in line with the 100x better number I said.

We saw how much damage Ukraine did with the few HIMARS they had. Ukraine only has 16 HIMARS. The US has 410 of them and Romania has 54. That's 29x more HIMARS.

I don't even need to get into the F16/18/35 which is in the order of magnitudes more effective than Ukraine's non-existent Air Force.
With 100% air superiority. That's not the case here.

Vivendi

Sure! If you look at Russian state media and think "hey! this is as credible as reports from the rest of the world!"

Look at the reports from non-Western non-Russian media: Western HIMARS/GLSMR have had a significant impact in spite of relatively low numbers.

Ukraine devastates Russian artillery depots ahead of offensive | Russia-Ukraine war News | Al Jazeera

Also modern Western artillery (CAESAR, PZH 2000) has made a significant impact in spite of low numbers. Whether you believe it or not, it does not change the facts.

The Western tanks being prepared for shipment are for the most part not "state of the art" but old stuff -- nevertheless, once they reach a critical mass (100? 200?) they will also make a difference. Don't take my word for it. Just wait and watch.

Vivendi

Ok so if by consulted you're thinking of a non-binding opinion poll to be regarded or disregarded I don't see how that helps. But if you're saying a binding referendum, then you've just taken Russia's view of the situation. Let the locals decide
No.

That's not Russia's position. "Russia's" (i.e., Putin's) position is "let's pretend to make a referendum, let's pretend to let the locals decide". Russia has absolutely no intention of letting any proper democratic process determine anything: not in Russia, not in Crimea, and not in Kherson.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
you look at Russian state media and think "hey! this is as credible as reports from the rest of the world!"
Off course for you everything coming from Russia is lies. Getting balance view is foolish.

at the reports from non-Western non-Russian media: Western HIMARS/GLSMR have had a significant impact in spite of relatively low numbers.

This Turkish media try to look more balanced view. Or do you think Turkiye media also lies ? Well that's the problem if only try to justify only Western view.

Don't take my word for it. Just wait and watch.
Ahh, seems we agree on something. Let's wait and watch, and may I add, try to see it on all angles and more balanced view.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Numbers of tanks are mentioned but no mention of recovery vehicles and all of the tail end stuff is apparent.
Germany announced two BPz recovery vehicles with the 14 Leopard it is donating, as this is basically what a Leopard 2 company (of that size) gets for support in the Bundeswehr. There'll probably be more from others in the user group.

KipPotapych

Explosions on Iranian MIC reported. Looks like three Shahed assembly plants and, supposedly, drones are the cause. Interesting.

Dex

Off course for you everything coming from Russia is lies. Getting balance view is foolish.

This Turkish media try to look more balanced view. Or do you think Turkiye media also lies ? Well that's the problem if only try to justify only Western view.

Ahh, seems we agree on something. Let's wait and watch, and may I add, try to see it on all angles and more balanced view.
That article is from July. It's pretty obvious that HIMARS has done a number on Russia. Remember the New Years party where 600 recruits died while celebrating New Years? That was from HIMARS.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
With 100% air superiority. That's not the case here.
Indeed, IIRC, many tanks were taken out by air assets. However, tank on tank encounters saw the Abrams winning virtually every time. This was likely due more to training and tactics but the Abrams was a superior platform. Just my two cents.