The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates

swerve

Super Moderator
I rather suspect the intent with T32 is for surveillance in offshore areas in such things as ASW; and possibly control of minimum or un manned weapons platforms as for the USN concept. They really need to invest in a smallish platform with only self defence armament and the capacity to go inshore for the MCM task, a bit like the RAN is looking to do with a similar concept and using the follow on 8 Arafuras.
Yeah, like I said, something the Rivers should be able to do.

The RN has -
3 Batch 1 River class OPVs. 80m, 1700t, 20 knots, 20mm gun & GPMGs.
5 Batch 2 River class OPVs. 90m, 2000t, 24 knots, helideck, 30mm gun, miniguns & GPMGs.
Both have cranes & an open deck aft for carriage of additional equipment.

The Batch 2s are more military in construction standards & CMS, I understand, & thus more suitable for such a role outside home waters. They're also 15 to 18 years younger, commissioned April 2018 to June 2021. Since we're already sending them off to remote places it seems a reasonable addition to their capabilities, & of course, autonomous mine hunters don't need to be constantly carried.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sure i've seen somewhere, possibly even within this thread or a link on one of the pages since the beginning of July, that 2022 will be the EARLIEST that any decision will be made on Batch 2, Type 26...
They have authorised long lead items for the second set of hulls however. Not absolutely a guarantee but it's a useful step.

OldNavy63

Chinese submarines detected by CSG-21 IVO Luzon Str in early Aug 21.

UK media reported 08 Aug 21 that 02 Chinese Type 093 Shang Class SSN were detected by Type 23 Frigates HMS Kent and Richmond as CSG-21 exited the SCS via the Luzon Strait enroute Guam. A third Type 093 was detected by an Astute class SSN.

To be expected and detected.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chinese submarines detected by CSG-21 IVO Luzon Str in early Aug 21.

UK media reported 08 Aug 21 that 02 Chinese Type 093 Shang Class SSN were detected by Type 23 Frigates HMS Kent and Richmond as CSG-21 exited the SCS via the Luzon Strait enroute Guam. A third Type 093 was detected by an Astute class SSN.

To be expected and detected.
I'm surprised they're commenting at all - usually they like to keep these things as a surprise. Mind, the organ reporting it is more likely to be nominated for the Booker prize for fiction, than say, a Pullitzer.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The one which had the problem was Diamond. No apparent news on her for the last 3 weeks or so. AFAIK Defender has been with the group since they were in the Med; but she has been doing separate port visits to the rest and exercising with regional navies separate to the TG at times.

Last edited:

FormerDirtDart

HMS Severn sporting a subdued splash of color.
Not to be confused with the "dazzle" Tamer & Spey are wearing for their Indo-Pacific deployment.
I wonder if Tyne and Mersey will eventually gain a similar livery to Severn as they patrol UK waters.
For that matter, if Forth will get a specific paint job as the Falklands Patrol ship, as well Medway in the Caribbean and Trent for her basing in Gibraltar/Mediterranean

There is also a short video in the article linked thru the tweet.

A couple additional images of Severn in her new colors

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Must be a pretty serious problem; a GT change out usually takes, what, 24 hours?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
My hunch would be that the pandemic can be blamed for at least part of the delay - both due to the Covid cases onboard (part of the crew was isolated at the Italian base hospital after she was towed into port) and since it's probably not necessarily quite as easy right now to get a Rolls Royce engineering team over there with mandatory quarantine both ways etc.

Actually wondering why they picked Taranto over Limassol to park her anyway.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
HMS Severn sporting a subdued splash of color.
Not to be confused with the "dazzle" Tamer & Spey are wearing for their Indo-Pacific deployment.
I wonder if Tyne and Mersey will eventually gain a similar livery to Severn as they patrol UK waters.
For that matter, if Forth will get a specific paint job as the Falklands Patrol ship, as well Medway in the Caribbean and Trent for her basing in Gibraltar/Mediterranean

There is also a short video in the article linked thru the tweet.

A couple additional images of Severn in her new colors

I was on board her on Sunday, when she was moored alongside HMS Belfast and she does look very nice in her new colours. I believe it's intended that all the Rivers get the same scheme, be they B1 or 2.

KiwiRob

Just saw this...

UK MoD Awards Contracts for Fleet Solid Support competition - Naval News

Wonder how long it will be before UK PLC starts with the 'We need more VFM / companies to join in the bid process' ??
Larsen & Toubro???? I have worked with this yard on a couple of projects, difficult beyond belief. There are some people who believe India can become a major player in the shipbuilding market, they've had decades to get there, and nothing to show for it, this would have to be the riskiest of all the bidders.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Would be interesting to see how they would build in the UK; their British “partner” seems to be a management consultancy and technology integration company with so far as I can see no shipbuilding experience; and it appears to be owned, at least partially, by that well known British institution Lockheed Martin…

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would be interesting to see how they would build in the UK; their British “partner” seems to be a management consultancy and technology integration company with so far as I can see no shipbuilding experience; and it appears to be owned, at least partially, by that well known British institution Lockheed Martin…
I suspect the build will still be a foreign hull, like the Tides were, but to a lower state of completion. So, a technology integration company might be ok on paper.

Sticking the lot into a British yard would be expensive - depends on how much of a storm the government can bear I guess.

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

WHAT, could possibly go wrong.....?

FSS is a difficult thing to envisage.

At this time BAE is tied to T26. Babcock are tied to T31, so do they have scope to build, or will it simply be a management exercise, with work farmed out ?

Both companies have 'iron's in the fire' in someone else's backyard, so winning this contract means another carrier style 'hotchpotch of building elements across the Scotland/Northern England & then shipping to a central point for assembly.

Team UK will likely have the 'favourite' label against them, with Team Resolute being a close second. (BMT are a good design house & H&W have the facilities to either build completely, or be a 'staging yard' where the hull can be built from, component).

Secro/Damen is a bit of an odd-mix, in that while Damen have the ability / capability to build, Serco is effectively a shipping management company.

Navantia, could be a dark horse / outsider, but the drive to be 'Built in Britain' may put them to a low ranking 3rd place.