The Mechem NTW 20mm anti-material rifle

CheeZe

I agree with OPSSG. There's always tensions between Malaysia and Indonesia (as well as Singapore and other ASEAN countries; see Thailand and Cambodia).

This is a way for nations to utilize a powerful warning, short of short range artillery. If they actually intended to use it for combat ops... they're madder than the Mad Hatter and Cheshire Cat together.

STURM

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If they actually intended to use it for combat ops... they're madder than the Mad Hatter and Cheshire Cat together.
Despite it's weight the NTW still probably has it's usefulness, obviously in areas where troops have vehicle transport. To me, and I'm no expert at ballistics, the NTW and rifles of similiar calibre, would be excellent at taking shots at hovering helicopters as well as larger objects that might require something more than a 12.7mm round.

The Malaysian army's Gerak Regiment [being a combination of the Royal Marines, U.S. Rangers and British SAS all rolled into one] has stuff it doesn't show to the public. The fact that the NTW was publicly shown would indicate to me that it was not bought for the other reasons mentioned. Besides, a 20mm does not give one a lot of deniability options.

Twinblade, thanks for the interesting information.

Last edited:

CheeZe

If there are vehicles that need to be destroyed or immobilized, there are dedicated anti-vehicular weapons available. Same with helicopters. A precision weapon such as this is not a first resort for shooting down a helicopter. It's something you'd use if you had no other weapon. And I highly doubt that any M'sian, S'porean or Indonesian unit will find itself with just this weapon to down a helo or take out an APC.

Given the terrain of SE Asia, I am very skeptical as to usefulness of the weapon since one of its main advantages is its range. That's negated by the large amounts of jungle or urbanized areas in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.

I will grant that Special Forces may be able make use of this (in place of man portable missile systems) but if its only useful to special forces, then it is a weapon that is extremely limited in its use.

As far as I know, the largest calibre weapon in use by the SAF is the .338 and that's not really a powerful anti-materiel round when compared to the 12.7. It just seems, to me, to be a case of "my bullet is bigger than yours." For all practical purposes, there are very few areas in which this weapon can be deployed to make use of its range.

STURM

If there are vehicles that need to be destroyed or immobilized, there are dedicated anti-vehicular weapons available. Same with helicopters. A precision weapon such as this is not a first resort for shooting down a helicopter.
I'm not saying it was bought solely for the purpose of taking out light armour but if an armoured vehicle was within range and you didn't have a Javelin or an Eryx lying around, you could use it for this purpose. Yes it is not an ideal anti-helicopter weapon but the circumstances permit and if there were no other options available, it would be ideal for use against a slow moving or hovering helicopter.

. It just seems, to me, to be a case of "my bullet is bigger than yours."
Hardly. The fact that several armies which already operate 12.7mm anti-material rifles would want a 20mm rifle would mean that there is a sound reason for it, despite the weight that comes with it. I have no idea why the SADF bought it and Ananda has already mentioned possible uses of it by Indonesian units, but I do know that if the Gerak Khas regiment had felt that it was not needed, it would not have requested it.

T.C.P

Indian have adapted/reverse-engineered/copied this gun after Denel was blacklisted and named it Vidhwansak AMR. Over 100 have been ordered by the Border Security Force.
Hey Twin Blade can you tell me if these are the BSF on the Bangladesh border or China or Pakistan or Myanmar border?

Ghgt99

In my opinion, the only thing going for this rifle compared to say, the Barrett is the increased range.

It is light compared to WWII 20 mm rifles, which were 100 kg. But this is 26 kg, which is rather heavy for a rifle. The Barrett is approximately 14 kg, which is almost half as heavy.

If you are strong enough to trek around with a 26 kg rifle, then choose this, but if you prefer something lighter, get a Barrett.

STURM

If you are strong enough to trek around with a 26 kg rifle, then choose this, but if you prefer something lighter, get a Barrett.
The NTW is not meant to be carried on long range foot patrols. No matter how strong you are, the rifle can't be carried on foot for long periods. The size of the 20mm ammo will limit the number of rounds that can be carried.

It's meant to be used in scenarios where the operator is firing from a fixed position or has transport and is only required to carry the rifle for a short distance on foot.

awweccshon2

Any Range Issues about 14.5 and 20mm rounds

I'm not an expert, and I'm happy to take any corrections, but according to what I've found on this weapon, it's designed to be carried by two operators (15kg packs: one takes the barrel and ammo, one takes the rest). Also it's supposed used similarly to shoulder fired weapons such as the RPG or AT4 and I would guess it's more effective against some of the more lightly armoured targets (3 round magazine, 1000 m/s muzzle velocity for the 14.5). I've read that both the 14.5 and 20 have an effective range (i.e penetration of light armour such as armoured cars and planes) of 2300 metres and 2000 metres respectively. And due to their high caliber, they can take high explosive and incediary ammunition. I personally would take a Barrett M99 .416 for any proper sniping, or maybe a Cheytac m200, but for any serious stuff i would absolutely prefer a 14.5 because of its serious stopping power.

It comes with the 20mm x 82mm (NTW 20), 20mm x 110mm Hispano (NTW 20X110) and the 14.5mm x 114mm (NTW 14.5) rounds.

Hope that answered some questions :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodger67

The NTW is not meant to be carried on long range foot patrols. No matter how strong you are, the rifle can't be carried on foot for long periods. The size of the 20mm ammo will limit the number of rounds that can be carried.

It's meant to be used in scenarios where the operator is firing from a fixed position or has transport and is only required to carry the rifle for a short distance on foot.
It is designed to be carried by two people - a sniper team - in two pieces, so the weight "issue" is a bit of a red herring.
AFAIK in the SANDF it is only used by the Special Forces - I'll try to find out which calibre(s) they use.
BTW I have seen it mounted on a tripod "borrowed" from a M2HB at a "public show" event.

Last edited: