The Indonesian Army

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Found picture of Pindad made Anti Material gun (from defense-studies.blogspot). With caliber 12.7 mm, this weapon seems will be inducted to TNI Army unit soon.

Sandhi Yudha

Thanks for the pics Ananda! Impressive stuff!

I have a question, i often see military jeeps of the brand Oz. What kind of brand is that? Some Toyota Hilux?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Thanks for the pics Ananda! Impressive stuff!

I have a question, i often see military jeeps of the brand Oz. What kind of brand is that? Some Toyota Hilux?
I think it's derived from Isuzu Light Trucks (at least the chasy and the engine). I believe the body it's product of a local workshop company that used to get order from the army.

The Army now experiment with several local vendor try to come out with a acceptable local design. However ussually the engines and chasy derived from Isuzu or Toyota's comercial vehicle that being build locally.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Turkey & Indoensia Agreement

From Turkish Hurriyet: Turkey and Indonesia near arms agreements - Hurriyet Daily News

Turkey and Indonesia are close to signing several defense agreements altogether worth $400 million, procurement officials and industry sources said Tuesday.

Indonesia, the largest Muslim country in the world, and Turkey have increasingly closer political relations, and their industrial ties also are boosting. The two countries decided to bolster their defense cooperation when President Abdullah Gül visited Jakarta in April as a guest of Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, when the two nations signed a defense industry pact.

Later, major defense industry companies from both nations met multiple times to explore potential areas of cooperation. They decided to work together in military electronics, rockets and armored vehicles.

As a result, Aselsan, Turkey’s military electronics powerhouse, and its Indonesian counterparts agreed on Aselsan’s production of several types of military radios and other wireless equipment for the Indonesian military. Roketsan, Turkey’s state-owned rocket maker, reached a general agreement to produce various short-range rockets for the Indonesians.

Meanwhile, private Turkish vehicle-maker FNSS agreed to develop a 6X6 wheeled tactical vehicle for the Indonesians. FNSS already is the maker of 6X6 and 8X8 Pars armored vehicles. Under the agreement with Indonesia, FNSS will modify the Pars 6X6 and then the two sides jointly will manufacture it.

The Aselsan deal is expected to be signed before the year ends, industry sources told the Hürriyet Daily News. Roketsan and the FNSS deals are expected to be closed in 2012. The Aselsan agreement should exceed $100 million, and the two other deals are expected to cost around $150 million both.
This agreement actually will be join manufacturing and under-license manufacturing with Indonesian defense Industry. Indonesia aimed to work with ROK and now Turkey, since both nation have access to latest or near latest western technology, but have flexibility to provide Joint Manufacturing with Indonesia.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
From Antara news agency : Antara News : Portal Berita Indonesia

Basically Pindad confirm that the 'Canon' armoured vehicle they will build will be based to South Korean Doosan vehicle. 11 Will be build by Doosan while the other 11 build by Pindad. They also plan to build light tanks based Doosan's K-21.

The present Indonesian administrations seems taking ROK and Turkey more and more as defense equipment manufacturing partners.

STURM

I don't know about Ken Conboy's claim since supposedly TNI still have ample inventory left of AK-47. However by the time Soeharto's firmly in power (mid 70's), TNI have switch to M-16 and 5.6 mm bullets. That's actually killed the AK-47 in TNI-AD. However the Marines I believe up until early 90's still operating some AK-47.
I was communicating with Conboy via E-mail some months ago. It seems the reason Benny Mordeni went to Malaysia to get back some AK-47s captured during Konfrontasi was because Indonesia has sent a lot to Cambodia and there was a shortage of AKs that were needed for East Timur.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
I was communicating with Conboy via E-mail some months ago. It seems the reason Benny Mordeni went to Malaysia to get back some AK-47s captured during Konfrontasi was because Indonesia has sent a lot to Cambodia and there was a shortage of AKs that were needed for East Timur.
That's interesting. Why he needed that ? As far as I know during the 70's and 80's US supply of M-16 to the Army was continued at regular pace. Benny Moerdani usually conducting covert operation with Special Forces. Perhaps the Special Forces found AK-47 more reliable for long-term jungle operation than M-16 A1 that being used by the Army at that time.

Afterall the reason Army send inventories of AK-47 to Cambodia or anyone else that want them, due to their decision to move from Russian standard to Nato/US standard. The Marines still using majority of what's left of AK-47 inventories up until 90's when they converting to Pindad SS-1 as the riffle become TNI standard. The Marines and Navy still like AK-47 better due (according to one article I read some time ago), better reliability on amphibious operation than M-16 A1.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
From Antara news agency with Google Translate: TNI AL segera tambah tank amfibi BMP-3F - AntaraNews.com

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - Vice Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral TNI Marsetio said that the Navy warplanes immediately add the BMP-3F amphibious tanks from Russia to become a battalion.

"Will we soon added its fleet up to become a full strength, approximately 54 units," he said after opening when confirmed BETWEEN Competition Development Unit at Headquarters Marine Corps 2nd Marine Infantry Brigade Command in Cilandak, Jakarta, on Monday
This already mentioned by Defense Minister before. However this's first time some officer below the level (on Technical level) confirmed it. In Indonesian way, if subordinate in technical/execution level already confirmed what their superior already say usually means the implementation already on the way.

Sandhi Yudha

So that means 1 batalyon consist of 54 BMP-3Fs?
BTW, are all 17 BMP-3Fs based at Surabaya?
Korps Marinir Indonesia telah mengoperasikan 17 unit tank amfibi BMP-3F dari Rusia sejak 11 Desember 2010. Kendaraan tempur infantri itu bahkan ikut dikerahkan pada operasi pembebasan kapal MV Sinar Kudus di Somalia pada April 2011.
Is this really true? I didn't know that.

falcon_snack

So that means 1 batalyon consist of 54 BMP-3Fs?
BTW, are all 17 BMP-3Fs based at Surabaya?
Is this really true? I didn't know that.
Yup mate. If my memory serves me well, there were 5 units inside LPD which was being sent to Somalia water at that time. Prepared to 'invade' Somali beach to free the hostages. Along with 2 unit 105mm howitzers.

Btw, nobody posting about MBT news?

STURM

Afterall the reason Army send inventories of AK-47 to Cambodia or anyone else that want them, due to their decision to move from Russian standard to Nato/US standard.
It was part of a policy to aid the Cambodian government, which also sent students to Batu Djajar for training. Conboy is currently writing a book about Cambodia which will include info on Indonesian efforts there to help the Cambodians during the 1970's and the support and training provided to various Cambodian factions by several ASEAN countries, including Indonesia and Malaysia, during the Vietnamese occupation.

STURM

That's interesting. Why he needed that ? As far as I know during the 70's and 80's US supply of M-16 to the Army was continued at regular pace. Benny Moerdani usually conducting covert operation with Special Forces. Perhaps the Special Forces found AK-47 more reliable for long-term jungle operation than M-16 A1 that being used by the Army at that time.
The very night before the invasion of East Timor, President Ford was in Jakarta for a visit. Whilst Ford was talking to Suharto, Henry Kissinger approached a high ranking Indonesian official and requested that the Indonesians wait until Air Force One had left Indonesian air space before beginning the invasion. He also asked and received confirmation that U.S. made equipment would be used. These details are in Conboy's ''Kopassus''.

Ananda, a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Are there any TNI-AU fighters permanently based in Kalimantan, or are the closest the ones based in Sulawesi?

2. What is the name of the TNI-Ad command that is reponsible for East Kalimantan?

3. Are there any Korps Marinir units based in Kalimantan?

Thank you.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
1. Are there any TNI-AU fighters permanently based in Kalimantan, or are the closest the ones based in Sulawesi?

2. What is the name of the TNI-Ad command that is reponsible for East Kalimantan?

3. Are there any Korps Marinir units based in Kalimantan?

Thank you.
yeah, that's why I believe if Moerdani really looking for ekstra AK-47 than it's more'for covert operation since TNI got enough small US armament supply for East Timor operation.

Right now only one squadron of Hawk 209 permanently station in Kalimantan (Pontianak air Base). It will soon (if not already) join with another UAV sq(first in TNI-AU) in the same air base.TNI-AU a bit secretive with this UAV sq since big possibility it's Israeli made.

The whole Kalimantan handle by one KODAM (Military distrik), sorry bit rusty with the name. While Marines stationed in Surabaya and Jakarta, but every Naval base including in Kalimantan have Marines detachment. it's also now TNI policy to stationed marines detachment as much as possible on bordered islands.

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Since beginning of this year, there are two Kodam on Kalimantan. One for West- and Zentral, one for South- and East-Kalimantan. Names are Tanjungpura and Mulawarman.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
which one?
Indonesian MBT news is very murky. For one thing even the news that's more substantial like procurement of ex ANG F-16 still have drama in here. MBT ? well wait until the order already being inked (if ever happen).

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Since beginning of this year, there are two Kodam on Kalimantan. One for West- and Zentral, one for South- and East-Kalimantan. Names are Tanjungpura and Mulawarman.
Yes, I missed that. Mulawarman is the name of old Kodam, whille Tanjungpura is the new one. Tanjungpura HQ is in Pontianak if I'm not mistaken (West Kalimantan Capital), while Mulawarman HQ located in Banjarmasin (South Kalimantan Capital).

STURM

it's also now TNI policy to stationed marines detachment as much as possible on bordered islands.
Not many Malaysians or Indonesian realise that both countries actually share an island , Pulau Sebatik, which is located near the East Malaysian town of Tawau and was the scene of a number of engagements during Konfrontasi. The island is also near the disputed Ambalat area.

I was looking at a map recently and noticed the that the proximity of Sulawesi to East Kalimantan would mean that in the event of any future ''problem'' over Ambalat, TNI-AU Su-30s/Su-27s could be on station over Ambalat within 15-20 minutes. A new airbase at Tarakan is also being built or has it been completed?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Not many Malaysians or Indonesian realise that both countries actually share an island , Pulau Sebatik, which is located near the East Malaysian town of Tawau and was the scene of a number of engagements during Konfrontasi. The island is also near the disputed Ambalat area.

I was looking at a map recently and noticed the that the proximity of Sulawesi to East Kalimantan would mean that in the event of any future ''problem'' over Ambalat, TNI-AU Su-30s/Su-27s could be on station over Ambalat within 15-20 minutes. A new airbase at Tarakan is also being built or has it been completed?

The Airbase on Tarakan supposedly (well according to TNI-AU public plan) based Super Tucano. The Air Base already there, but new facility to handle Super Tucano supposed to finish by early next year before the First Batch of Super Tucano come by Mid next year.

The OV-10 sq main based is in East Java (Malang), it's not clear yet whether the whole sq will be moved from Malang to Tarakan, or both Airbases will be home to this COIN sq.

I read in Kompas newspaper sometime ago, there's a house in Sebatik where the Living Room in Indonesian Territory while the Bathroom and back yard in Malaysian Territory. More than Half of that particullar vilage is Indonesian citizen while the rest holding Malaysian ID. Both currency (Rupiah and Ringgit) are official money on that island.