The Indonesian Army

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It would be interesting, because the Su-30MK2 is not capable of it, neither is the Su-27SKM. I.e. you would have to do additional work on them.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
It would be interesting, because the Su-30MK2 is not capable of it, neither is the Su-27SKM. I.e. you would have to do additional work on them.
Yes it will be interesting, considering that India offer Ship Based Brahmos previously, but Indonesia Navy seems opted to go for Yakhont in Frigates, Exocet MM 40 in Corvetes and Chinese CSS-2 for FAC.
India do seems now trying to marketed Fighter Based Brahmos (as their booth in Indo-Defences promoted), however seems from TNI AU sources no Brahmos for Flankers are in the immediate plann. Then again India seems playing solo on marketing Brahmos.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Renault Sherpa

From Renault Truck Sites :Renault Trucks Défense : RENAULT TRUCKS DEFENSE RECEIVE NEW ORDERS FROM INDONESIA

Sherpa it self has come out on 2008 Indo-defence. This deal with Pindad meand that the vehicles will be later on build under-license by Pindad. Unconfirmed info (circulated in Indo's forums) said that Sherpa being choosed since Pindad have relative good relationship with Renault this last several years (with Anoa engine and drive packages). Also since Pindad could not get license agreement with GMC for Humvee.

Interestingly, PINDAD itself and other local company already developed it's own versions of Light Scout vehicles (some of them already in the field). This deal show that the vehicles Pindad created on it's own perhaps is not satisfactory enough, that they later on choose to get license from Renault. Well perhaps I'm wrong, that the local vehicles (like P-2) will still comming to inventory, while Renault Sherpa will complemted or the other way around.

Renault Trucks Defense has signed two contracts with PT PINDAD (Persero) to supply vehicles type Sherpa light Scout and powerpacks kits fitted on the Panser, for the needs of Indonesian Armed Forces.
Renault Trucks Defense will provide to PT Pindad, a state Indonesian company supplier of equipment, the first units of Sherpa Light Scout with hard top cargo. The Indonesian Armed Forces has chosen the Sherpa light as recce vehicles to accompany the armoured Panser 6x6. Renault Trucks Defense will supply 12 units of powerpacks VAB 320 (engine, transmission, cooling system, drop box) to equip the Panser vehicles. Two years ago, Renault Trucks Defense sold 150 powerpacks to PT PINDAD.
Photo from Defense-studies.blogspot, Sherpa in the desert camouflage while local build P-2 in the green.

Last edited:

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Depends on whether Indonesia is going to order the armoured or non-armoured variant of the Sherpa. The vehicles developed by Indonesian companies on their own are all armoured vehicles. Maybe the Sherpa is simply going to replace some old Jeeps and Land Rovers and stuff.

STURM

the Anoa APC that the indonesian made was ordered by the malaysian government in exchange of their proton cars, it's like a barter.
Malaysia has not yet signed a firm order for the Anoa. There was mention recently that the French were making a fuss about the deal.

i think indonesia have willing to aquired brahmoss

since brahmos now can be lanuched from sukhoi...
The problem with integrating Brahmos to the Su-27 or Su-30 is that the aircraft will have to be send back to Russia for structural modifications to accommadate Brahmos.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Depends on whether Indonesia is going to order the armoured or non-armoured variant of the Sherpa. The vehicles developed by Indonesian companies on their own are all armoured vehicles. Maybe the Sherpa is simply going to replace some old Jeeps and Land Rovers and stuff.
Perhaps, if look again to that unconfirmed info that the deal on Sherpa by Pindad is a substitute to a deal on Humvee license with GMC which has failed. Well armoured or unarmoured, Sherpa seems more fit as replacement for landrover and CJ-7 as TNI AD standard 4x4.

Sandhi Yudha

Perhaps, if look again to that unconfirmed info that the deal on Sherpa by Pindad is a substitute to a deal on Humvee license with GMC which has failed. Well armoured or unarmoured, Sherpa seems more fit as replacement for landrover and CJ-7 as TNI AD standard 4x4.
Its a good vehicle, but its compareable with the Panhard VBL, so i think its quite an expensive car to just replace CJ-7 and other standard jeeps....

STURM

Ananda,

What shoulder launched weapons are operated by the TNI-AD and Korps Marinir besides the LRAC and RPG-7? Also, does Pindad manufacture LRAC and RPG-7 warheads?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Ananda,

What shoulder launched weapons are operated by the TNI-AD and Korps Marinir besides the LRAC and RPG-7? Also, does Pindad manufacture LRAC and RPG-7 warheads?
No Pindad so far has not release any info that they make warheads for manpads. They (Pindad) seems more inclined to made Artilery (they now in the process for 105 mm), and mortars up to 120 mm. That's been displayed on the Indo-defence. They have stated to begin development for 122 mm MLRS warheads.

In the book, actually TNI AD only have LRAC. RPG-7 is not in the official lists, but I'm not surprised if some of them in the inventory. Afterall getting them is only slight harder than getting the 'people' riffles AK-47. Also report that TNI AD instersect some RPG-7 smuggled for Aceh Rebels (GAM), in the time Aceh uprising.
The other Shoulder launced weapons in the inventory is Chinese QW-3 shoulder launched SAM, operated by TNI-AU Special Forces.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Its a good vehicle, but its compareable with the Panhard VBL, so i think its quite an expensive car to just replace CJ-7 and other standard jeeps....
In the book, Indigenous PS-2 supposed to supllement and eventually replaced Panhard VBL. That's why I'm still try to find out what actually those Sherpa aimed for. Besides just like David said, if the Sherpa that's going to be licensed by Pindad is the unarmoured type, perhaps it's still reasonable to conclude they will be aimed to replaces Landrovers.

STURM

The other Shoulder launced weapons in the inventory is Chinese QW-3 shoulder launched SAM, operated by TNI-AU Special Forces.
What MANPADS was operated prior to the QW-3 entering service?

Afterall getting them is only slight harder than getting the 'people' riffles AK-47.
Do you know when was the last time Indonesia ordered Ak-47s and were any ever bought from countries other than Russia? In Ken Conboy's Kopassus, he mentions General Moerdeni visiting Malaysia some years after 'Konfrontasi' to obtain the release of a batch of captured Indonesian AK-47s to be used for the East Timor invasion.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
What MANPADS was operated prior to the QW-3 entering service?
Do you know when was the last time Indonesia ordered Ak-47s and were any ever bought from countries other than Russia? In Ken Conboy's Kopassus, he mentions General Moerdeni visiting Malaysia some years after 'Konfrontasi' to obtain the release of a batch of captured Indonesian AK-47s to be used for the East Timor invasion.
I don't know about Ken Conboy's claim since supposedly TNI still have ample inventory left of AK-47. However by the time Soeharto's firmly in power (mid 70's), TNI have switch to M-16 and 5.6 mm bullets. That's actually killed the AK-47 in TNI-AD. However the Marines I believe up until early 90's still operating some AK-47.

Off all TNI brach, the Marines is perheps the longgest operating Russian and East Block weapons. Afterall up untill the 90's they still operating Katushya (BM-21 before being change to present RM-70) and Strela (SA-7). Btw, Strela is the manpads before QW-3, and operated so far that I know only by the Marines.

Sandhi Yudha

In the book, actually TNI AD only have LRAC. RPG-7 is not in the official lists, but I'm not surprised if some of them in the inventory. Afterall getting them is only slight harder than getting the 'people' riffles AK-47. Also report that TNI AD instersect some RPG-7 smuggled for Aceh Rebels (GAM), in the time Aceh uprising.
Not the AD, but the Korps Marinir uses the RPG-7V.

Sandhi Yudha

I don't know about Ken Conboy's claim since supposedly TNI still have ample inventory left of AK-47. However by the time Soeharto's firmly in power (mid 70's), TNI have switch to M-16 and 5.6 mm bullets. That's actually killed the AK-47 in TNI-AD. However the Marines I believe up until early 90's still operating some AK-47.

Off all TNI brach, the Marines is perheps the longgest operating Russian and East Block weapons. Afterall up untill the 90's they still operating Katushya (BM-21 before being change to present RM-70) and Strela (SA-7). Btw, Strela is the manpads before QW-3, and operated so far that I know only by the Marines.
Sorry, but the Korps Marinir used the BM-14, we never had the BM-21 in service.

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
TNI bought and operated a small number of the Ultimax100 LMG. I have seen TNI troopers using both the long and short para barrels. And also the use of both the drum and 30rd box mag.

Anyone has any reports of how the TNI rate the weapon?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Sorry, but the Korps Marinir used the BM-14, we never had the BM-21 in service.
Sorry disagree, BM-14 is not truck mounted MRL system but Tow 140 mm MRL system. According to Russian sites TNI-AD once used BM-14, but not last long. I believe The Marines used early versions of BM-21 which still used old Ural-375 chasis. Whille the more numerous and newer versions of BM-21 already used Ural-4320 chasis.

Besides, BM-14 used 140 mm rockets, whille BM-21 used 122 mm rockets which in the end is the inventory that's still being used by the marines. I believe if we take a look to early versions of BM-21 photo's attached, it's the same versions that The Marines MRL used, before present RM-70.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
TNI bought and operated a small number of the Ultimax100 LMG. I have seen TNI troopers using both the long and short para barrels. And also the use of both the drum and 30rd box mag.

Anyone has any reports of how the TNI rate the weapon?
Well. TNI-AD rather sillent on how they rate the guns in their inventories. However for machine guns, at present the current administrations insists on using Pindad products.

Pindad LMG called SM-3 is based on FN Minimi SAW 5.56 mm. Whille the heavier machine guns (.50/12.7 mm) is based on Singapore CIS .50, called SM-2. Pindad choses the products that they're going to developed (their own design or under licensed), always refer to what TNI preferences.
Also their 40 mm Automatics Grannat Launchers (AGL) seems based to ST 40 mm AGL, called SPG-3 on Pindad productions run.

Based on what Pindad produce, seems Minimi win over to Ultimax on TNI preferences in Light MG catagory, however TNI and Pindad take preferences on ST products in Heavy MG and AGL.

STURM

There was a photo in a Malaysian defence mag - Tempur - of a Pindad produced 105mm gun that looked very similiar to the Oto Melara Model 56 pack gun.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
There was a photo in a Malaysian defence mag - Tempur - of a Pindad produced 105mm gun that looked very similiar to the Oto Melara Model 56 pack gun.
Yes, I think I already put somewhere in this thread and forum that Pindad already gain license agreement with Oto Melara for 105 mm gun. They supposed to replace old 76 mm field how. I don't know though how many of them already in active duty.