Taiwanese Air Force (ROCAF)

Sandhi Yudha

There seems to be no thread for the Taiwanese Air Force, so lets start with the first report.

AIDC announced recently on 2 March that its T-5 Yung Yin advanced jet trainer (AJT)/light fighter aircraft will soon be handed over to the Republic of China Air Force (RoCAF) to undergo operational testing and evaluation.

The T-5 is actually a modified version of the Ching Kuo F-CK-1 LIFT, but the engine is a Honeywell/ITEC F124, a non-afterburning version of the F125 installed in the Ching Kuo IDF.
The AIDC T-5 is expected to replace the service’s ageing AIDC AT-3 trainers by 2026.

Sandhi Yudha

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Taiwan has completed the first tranche of its F-16V Block 70/72 modernisation effort, upgrading the first 42 of its 142 Lockheed Martin F-16A/B Fighting Falcon combat aircraft to the latest standard under the Phoenix Rising programme.
The 142 F-16s are all part of the 150 F-16A/B Block 20 ordered in 1992, these were all delivered in 2001.

Sandhi Yudha

So the first 42 Republic of China Air Force (RoCAF) F-16 multirole fighter aircraft from the article in the post above (post #2), which are recently upgraded to the latest F-16V standard, have entered service with the 4th Tactical Fighter Wing (TFW) at Chiayi Air Base in central Taiwan.

The USD3.7 billion upgrade programme is slated for completion by the end of 2023.

KC.B

A question regarding Taiwan's combat aircraft. when it comes to survival strategies, should the PRC follow through on its threats, I'm trying to get my head around how the ROCAF would attempt to survive. I'm aware of the 8+ highway strips that could be used. however, so is the PRC. Is it a case of 'use it or lose it'? in the opening round of a major ballistic missile strike, with the chance most, if not all, airfields runways could be out of action, would it be prudent to get as much in the air as possible as fast as you can. You have about 2hrs use out of those aircraft before you need to find a place to put them down. Under these circumstances, would the airforce be able to use Islands with 1km long airstrips? There are two islands just off to the east of Taiwan. Waves of ballistic and cruise missile attacks could last hours. Is waiting it out in hard shelters, rapidly repairing runways, then getting back in the game later a valid strategy?

Sandhi Yudha

According to this article the crash happened during take-off.

I totally do not understand the video, but it seems the pilot is still missing.

From which i understand this is the first time that an (upgraded) F-16V is crashed.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Taiwan displayed its self-developed UAV technology on last Tuesday. One of the indigenous developed UAVs is the the Teng Yun, which resembles the American MQ-9 Reaper unmanned aerial vehicle and several chinese UAV-families, and can stay aloft for up to 24 hours.