Taiwan Navy News and Developments

Sandhi Yudha

2023 time schedulle, that for me actually quite impresive considering this is Taiwan first indigenous Submarine. Shown the ability of Taiwan's yard. Seems base on their first batch order for US Mk 48 mod 6 torpedo, this submarine can hold 18 torpedoes. Will be enough for defense on Taiwan straits.

If they can get all four of their present Subs being replaced by this new Submarine. It's already remarkable performance considering the diplomatic limitations that Taiwan face.
Its indeed impressive.

I expect that only the oldest two submarines will be retired, and that the two Zwaardvisklasse submarines will be modernized/Midlife Updated, because they need more submarines, much more than can be build by their shipyards the coming 20 years.

Musashi_kenshin

Taiwan has commissioned its second Tuo Chiang class corvette, and it's the first with a naval SAM. It also appears Taiwan has wisely decided not to bother with an ASW version to focus on anti-shipping duties.

76mmGuns

The navalnews article says:

The Ta Chiang corvette and its follow-ons are set to feature a powerful weapons fit consisting in:

• 8 Hsiung Feng II anti-ship missiles (subsonic)
  • 4 Hsiung Feng III anti-ship missiles (supersonic)
  • 16 TC-2N surface to air missiles
  • 1 Otobreda 76 mm main gun
  • 1 Phalanx CIWS

Where are the 16 TC-2N surface to air missiles fitted? On all the models I've seen, there's only space for 16 canister missiles. Is the TC-2N quad packed, so it'd be 12 x HF 2 and 3 missiles, and then 16 TC-2N quad packed missiles?

Edit: Ah, just read fins fold so can be quad packed. :)

Last edited:

Musashi_kenshin

I heard Taiwan is working on developing new frigates but that the project is on hold whilst they work on a suitable radar system. Going ahead with upgrades for the Kang Dings first makes much more sense.

Sandhi Yudha

I heard Taiwan is working on developing new frigates but that the project is on hold whilst they work on a suitable radar system. Going ahead with upgrades for the Kang Dings first makes much more sense.
Agree, a good MLU can extend the lives of the Taiwanese La Fayettes for at least 20 years.
Also the acquisition of the MQ-9B SeaGuardians can relieve the workload on the P-3Cs.

Sandhi Yudha

The design of the new indigenous submarine class is based on the Zwaardvisklasse and the weapon, combat and digital sonar systems are provided by US suppliers Lockheed Martin and Raytheon, but still its unclear from where the Taiwanese get their expertise/ToT to build new submarines from.

Anyway, its time for Taiwan to get modern submarines, the Dutch-made Hai-Lung class is more than 25 years old, and the two american boats are primitive old trash from the Second World War. So the Taiwanese can not wait any longer.
An update about this project.

Taiwan' shipbuilder China Shipbuilding Corporation (CSBC) laid today the keel of the first submarine known as Indigenous Defense Submarine (IDS). The IDS will be armed with MK-48 Mod 6 Advanced Technology heavyweight torpedoes, UGM-84L sub-launched Harpoon Block II missiles, and other combat and digital sonar systems provided by US suppliers Lockheed Martin and Raytheon. The new submarine class will be fitted with ‘high-efficiency batteries developed and produced by domestic manufacturers” instead of an Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) system. This most likely refers to the use of Lithium Ion battery technology.

Musashi_kenshin

A detailed discussion from Reuters about the international involvement in Taiwan's new submarine class.

I think this was a good effort and certainly more detailed than Reuters' normal reporting. It largely contains previous reporting, but I don't think anyone else has done such an effective job in pulling all the facts together. In particular I hadn't seen reports about UK export licences for relevant technology or the involvement of a senior (retired) Royal Navy officer.

All in all it certainly seems to be a well thought out and carefully planned project.

Sandhi Yudha

According to this report, the assembly of the submarine’s pressure hull blocks would be completed by the end of June 2022. That's very fast, specially for a first of class. And this is in a country which never has build submarines before.

koxinga

The Taiwanese have been "planning" for an indigenous submarine program for decades. I won't be surprised that they already had a preliminary design, understood their industrial capacity, have a pretty good network of the suppliers that are willing to help and experts they need hire well before the "go" was given.

Sandhi Yudha

Agree, a good MLU can extend the lives of the Taiwanese La Fayettes for at least 20 years.
Also the acquisition of the MQ-9B SeaGuardians can relieve the workload on the P-3Cs.
Taiwan has been negotiating with the French Directorate General of Armaments (Direction générale de l’armement, DGA) for the upgrade of the Kang Ding class, the Taiwanese variant of the La Fayette frigates.

Taiwan has a $1,37 billion budget for this upgrade, and the program will start this year in 2022.

Sandhi Yudha

Several Taiwanese media are reporting that the new indigenous 4500 ton frigate project is not going smoothly because of budget issues, but also because of NCSIST (National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology – a Taiwanese state-owned corporation) has not been able to develop a compact AESA radar system for the ship, and there have also been media reports that the ROC Navy has been considering the purchase of foreign combat systems to equip the ship since 2017.

Musashi_kenshin

I think I mentioned that on the main Taiwan defence thread (not the article, the general delay). It's unlikely anyone other than the US will sell something, and I'm not clear if they produce a decent radar for a 4,500 t ship. So that means:

1. Giving NCSIST a larger budget and more time to develop a domestic radar; or

2. Finding an equally or possibly larger sum of money for a foreign import; or

3. Redesigning the frigate into a larger ship that can mount a less compact indigenous design.

I honestly don't see progress for the next few years. Right now the Navy's focus is getting the submarines built, and recently they even announced they were aiming to get the first in class launched a year ahead of schedule (2023 instead of 2024).

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I think I mentioned that on the main Taiwan defence thread (not the article, the general delay). It's unlikely anyone other than the US will sell something, and I'm not clear if they produce a decent radar for a 4,500 t ship. So that means:

1. Giving NCSIST a larger budget and more time to develop a domestic radar; or

2. Finding an equally or possibly larger sum of money for a foreign import; or

3. Redesigning the frigate into a larger ship that can mount a less compact indigenous design.

I honestly don't see progress for the next few years. Right now the Navy's focus is getting the submarines built, and recently they even announced they were aiming to get the first in class launched a year ahead of schedule (2023 instead of 2024).
Focusing on subs is probably a good idea. They are the most likely effective deterrent for complicating invasion plans along with a large land based missile inventory.

Sandhi Yudha

Externally it looks quite similar to the San Antonio class, but with a total length of 153 meters the ship is around 75% in length of the San Antonio class.

Sky Sword II / Tien Chien II, or TC-2, is a Taiwanese medium-range, surface-to-air missile, and the TC-2N naval version seems to have a range of around 30 km.

Sandhi Yudha

Externally it looks quite similar to the San Antonio class, but with a total length of 153 meters the ship is around 75% in length of the San Antonio class.

Sky Sword II / Tien Chien II, or TC-2, is a Taiwanese medium-range, surface-to-air missile, and the TC-2N naval version seems to have a range of around 30 km.
This LPD has now been commissioned.
CSBC (China Shipbuilding Corporation) will build four LPDs for the Taiwanese Navy. Yu Shan will replace the ROC Navy’s only operating amphibious transport dock, the ROCS Hsu Hai (ex-USS Pensacola), which the Taiwan Navy has operated for more than 50 years.

Musashi_kenshin

A revised “Zhenhai Project” (震海計畫) would see the construction of two 2,000-tonne frigates with anti-air and anti-submarine capabilities, instead of a planned 4,500-tonne next-generation missile frigate, a budget proposal sent to the legislature yesterday by the Ministry of National Defense showed.

The streamlined plan, now named the “Naval Next-Generation Frigate Buildup Project,” would provide two ships, trading size for ease of production, the ministry said, adding that the anti-air ship is expected to enter service by 2025 and the anti-submarine ship by 2026.

The vessels would have a maximum displacement of 2,500 tonnes each, would be able to operate in winds up to level 8 on the Beaufort scale, and would be equipped with mid-range anti-air missiles, higher-range supersonic anti-ship missiles, a 76mm gun, a Phalanx close-in weapon system and depth charges or torpedoes, the budget report said.

It is a significant change to the frigate project. However, given the problems Taiwan has had procuring or developing a suitable radar for the larger ship, a less ambitious vessel that can be produced faster may be the smart option. Not least because if the revised frigate project is successful it could act as a stepping stone for larger frigates in the future. And Taiwan needs new ships urgently - there's only so long the former Knox-class ships can be kept running.

Sandhi Yudha

Taiwan plans to start a MLU-program for their French made Kang Ding class frigates.
Under the program, the frigates will be upgraded with improved combat management systems (CMS), radar systems, vertical launch systems (VLS), and new surface-to-air missiles (SAM). If all goes smoothly, the modernisation will begin in the second quarter of 2023.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toptob

Interesting. The article states "It will have a similar appearance to Singapore’s Formidable-class frigate. The upgraded Kang Ding-class will be as capable as the Formidable-class." That's a big claim, and a big goal! It seems like it's going to take a lot of work, they're basically planning to take half the ship apart.

But it looks to be an interesting program that would be a great learning opportunity for local industry, and a real step to finally designing and building that indigenous frigate/destroyer that they've been wanting for years. This upgrade encompasses a lot of the deficiencies that they seemed be running in to like upgrading the CMS and sensors and integrating new weapon systems and VLS. It doesn't state if the new CMS, ASM's and radars will be indigenous, but it does say that they will integrate an indigenous VLS system and SAM's. It would be even more interesting if all that equipment would be indigenous though, because.

In this article it says "However, Taiwanese Legislators probably don’t have confidence in the Navy’s plan. One governing Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislator said, according to current available information, the Navy plans to develop a 4,500-ton frigate which is equipped with 4 ESA radar antennas, a 24-cell VLS, but the U.S. is developing the Constellation-class frigate, a 7,500-ton ship equipped with 3 ESA radar antennas and a 32-cell VLS. The ROC Navy shall think carefully whether they can really develop the ship or not. "

Through this upgrade program they could learn how to integrate all these systems into their own CMS. That would bring the ROCN a lot closer to really being able to develop at least a decent medium sized multi role surface combatant!

Musashi_kenshin

In this article it says "However, Taiwanese Legislators probably don’t have confidence in the Navy’s plan. One governing Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislator said, according to current available information, the Navy plans to develop a 4,500-ton frigate which is equipped with 4 ESA radar antennas, a 24-cell VLS, but the U.S. is developing the Constellation-class frigate, a 7,500-ton ship equipped with 3 ESA radar antennas and a 32-cell VLS. The ROC Navy shall think carefully whether they can really develop the ship or not. "
That's an outdated article. Taiwan recently decided to proceed with smaller frigates so they could build more and with less complexity. It took a very pragmatic view that it needs to be more concerned about having ships able to intercept Chinese frigates trying to encroach on its territorial waters than anything else.