tabletop minatures wargames

shadowcat1313

just curious as to if there are any tabletop minatures gamers out there,

I am part of a good sized historics group that rotates area hobby shops here in central Illinois. we play a wide variety of eras, although ww2 and american civil war seem the most popular. last weekend was the 36th annual Winter Wars convention, and saturday they ran a 54mm Arnheim game, that stretched over about a dozen tables along one wall of a large conference room.

Bozoo

just curious as to if there are any tabletop minatures gamers out there,

I am part of a good sized historics group that rotates area hobby shops here in central Illinois. we play a wide variety of eras, although ww2 and american civil war seem the most popular. last weekend was the 36th annual Winter Wars convention, and saturday they ran a 54mm Arnheim game, that stretched over about a dozen tables along one wall of a large conference room.

Don't really know what tabletop games are, but I've got a fair number of scale H0 military miniatures, some 2500 if I'm not mistaken. Take a look at the two Midtguardian threads and you'll see more of what I'm all about

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
For those interested, there is a rather nice WWII tabletop miniature game called Flames of War. It is a company-level tactical game with a rather interesting level of detail to it, which covers the European and North African theatres.

-Cheers

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't really know what tabletop games are, but I've got a fair number of scale H0 military miniatures, some 2500 if I'm not mistaken. Take a look at the two Midtguardian threads and you'll see more of what I'm all about
Advanced and period specific versions of board games (like Risk or Monopoly). Don't laugh but Singapore actually set up a Wargame Centre in 1985. I will not be willing to provide further details, save that I have been there.

@Todjaeger, thanks for letting me know about Flames of War. I'll find out more when I have time.

Last edited:

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Advanced and period specific versions of board games (like Risk or Monopoly). Don't laugh but Singapore actually set up a Wargame Centre in 1985. I will not be willing to provide further details, save that I have been there.

@Todjaeger, thanks for letting me know about Flames of War. I'll find out more when I have time.
You are welcome. If you like the European or North African theatres, it is a very good game. I unfortunately have not been able to play it for awhile due to my <insert string of explicitives here> work schedule. Fortunately that has now changed. The slightly peculiar (to my mind) thing about the game, is that it is put out by a NZ company, yet they have not put out anything yet for a Pacific campaign... Not sure why:unknown

-Cheers

shadowcat1313

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tend towards tend to play WW2 or American Civil War when I play minatures, but will try most anything once. I have a good sized collection of Modern US and soviet figures in 1/285th scale, and some 20mm[HO] british ww2 figures.

Sea Toby

Avalon Hill's Kingmaker, more of a card game with paper markers, is a fun strategy game, not quite a war game.

Humanoid

This may seem obvious, but I for one still love Risk, whether the actual board game, or a computer model in real time, depending on where you set up, every game turns out different.

This may make me sound like an idiot, but would chess be considered a table-top war game? I know it's on a much smaller scale, but if it were 'specialized' or 'themed' like a few of my sets, could it be called a TTWG? If it is, I would say it's one of the very best for the simple reason of advanced strategy