T-90 Tank

Przezdzieblo

As regards to Object 187 (or how else call it), according to my information it had variant with 152 mm gun too presented on the picture. The gun on the picture is in no way a regular 125 mm burrel . If you have another pictures of this object, I'll be glad to look.
I cannot remember if know any other picture of it. But there are photos of scale model, 3D visualization and diagram.
http://www.btvt.narod.ru/4/history/178-1.gif
http://www.meshwar.vistcom.ru/tech/ob187.htm
http://www.otvaga2004.narod.ru/publ_w4/021_187.htm - the most valuable site about this tank
And yes, gun from your picture is not regular gun. But it is still 125 mm (compare with Object 292 pic!). It`s designation was 2A66 and it was said to be more potent than 2A46/2A46M family.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
If you swallow it, bad things happen. :)

On a serious note there is evidence showing correlation between tungsten levels in blood and disease like leukemia.

Do you have a source?

13000 is a high estimate. 3 tank divisions and ~13 motor rifle divisions. 3 tank regiments per tank division, 1 tank regiment and 3 battallions in each motor rifle (3 btls=1 rgt). So ~35 tank regiments. 35 times 93 gives us ~3555. Now this doesn't include independent brigades, regiments, and machine gun artillery divisions. I don't know their make up, but even if we assume that they contain as many tanks as the ones we counted, we still fall well short of your numbers. Does your estimate include storage bases and mothballed equipment?
Ah, I see - well then we really may have some cause for concern due to the fact that it is under research to replace small arms ammunition in the U.S, it is not good either to leave all those lead filled projectiles laying around either.:rolleyes:

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
from the flank have only 152 mm prototype on T-80:
Well - that one I can believe, the one on the T-90 photo no.:D But still, do you have other photo shots of this vehicle, looks like one heck of a counter weight on the rear of the turret, or is it something else all together.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Including storage for reserve forces of course. So called 'storage bases' (TsBRT - in Russian classification) is indeed a reserve tank division with as 300 tanks at minimum and other equipement enough to 1 division at least. The TsBRT's known for me: Kozulka (Barnaul), Topchikha (Krasnoyarsk), Shilovo (near Novosibirsk), Verkhnyaya Pyshma (Yekaterinburg region), Ulan-Ude (near Baikal).

Also how you counted only 3 tank division? I know at least 6: 4 Guardian TD (Naro-Fominsk near Moscow), 16 Guardian TD (Markovsky near Perm), 15 Guardian TD (Chebarkul), 10 Guardian TD (Boguchar, Voronezh district), ??? donno number TD (Nizhneudinsk), 5 Guardian TD (Kyakta, near Mongolian border).

What Russian TD's you know? May be you know something, I didnt conted yet.

For amusement pics of course :D
These are photos of Algerian T-90s correct.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I cannot remember if know any other picture of it. But there are photos of scale model, 3D visualization and diagram.
http://www.btvt.narod.ru/4/history/178-1.gif
http://www.meshwar.vistcom.ru/tech/ob187.htm
http://www.otvaga2004.narod.ru/publ_w4/021_187.htm - the most valuable site about this tank
And yes, gun from your picture is not regular gun. But it is still 125 mm (compare with Object 292 pic!). It`s designation was 2A66 and it was said to be more potent than 2A46/2A46M family.
Good information, I can tell that it has a muzzle brake but could not make out too much more of the photo due to the photo angle.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Including storage for reserve forces of course. So called 'storage bases' (TsBRT - in Russian classification) is indeed a reserve tank division with as 300 tanks at minimum and other equipement enough to 1 division at least. The TsBRT's known for me: Kozulka (Barnaul), Topchikha (Krasnoyarsk), Shilovo (near Novosibirsk), Verkhnyaya Pyshma (Yekaterinburg region), Ulan-Ude (near Baikal).
They're not currently active tank divisions. They would take quite a bit of time to mobilize and organize. Only a major war would bring them out of non-existence. With the upcoming professionalization of the army (at least at the rate it's currently progressing it) they will become useless in 20-30 years even if their equipment is updated. If it's not, they will be useless much sooner.

Also how you counted only 3 tank division? I know at least 6: 4 Guardian TD (Naro-Fominsk near Moscow), 16 Guardian TD (Markovsky near Perm), 15 Guardian TD (Chebarkul), 10 Guardian TD (Boguchar, Voronezh district), ??? donno number TD (Nizhneudinsk), 5 Guardian TD (Kyakta, near Mongolian border).

What Russian TD's you know? May be you know something, I didnt conted yet.
I know of the 10th tank in Moscow MD, 4th tank Kantermiskaya, also Moscow, and 5th tank division in the Siberian MD. Also just fyi there is no Voronezh Military District. It's part of the Moscow MD. I don't know, maybe you meant Voronezh district as in Voronezhskaya Oblast' . The 16th Guards I think has become the 5967 Storage Base. Warfare.ru lists it as a storage base. I don't know about the rest. How dated is your info?

extern

They're not currently active tank divisions. They would take quite a bit of time to mobilize and organize. Only a major war would bring them out of non-existence. With the upcoming professionalization of the army (at least at the rate it's currently progressing it) they will become useless in 20-30 years even if their equipment is updated.
Proffesionalisation doesnt deny strong reserve forces, see US etc countries reservists.
Also just fyi there is no Voronezh Military District. It's part of the Moscow MD. I don't know, maybe you meant Voronezh district as in Voronezhskaya Oblast' .
Who said 'military district'? I put it location, southern from Voronezh in the same 'oblast' (governor district or region).
The 16th Guards I think has become the 5967 Storage Base. Warfare.ru lists it as a storage base. I don't know about the rest. How dated is your info?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Russian Army is rather large in proportion to the population. One of two things, Russian population will grow, or Russian Army will shrink. Both will only allow the Russian Army to preserve it's current soldier to pop. ratio. I don't think there is room for strong reserves in this setup.

As for the 16th tank, it looks like it has the opposite happening to it. It's being increased up to size, from a reserve unit to a active size unit, for the Stability-2008 exercises. Even reservists are being called up. Here's an interesting article on it (in Russian). http://www.beriki.ru/2008/07/18/peintbol-dlya-nastoyashchikh-soldat

Maybe it was contracted in size earlier, and now is being blown up to size again for the war game.

extern

The Russian Army is rather large in proportion to the population. One of two things, Russian population will grow, or Russian Army will shrink. Both will only allow the Russian Army to preserve it's current soldier to pop. ratio. I don't think there is room for strong reserves in this setup..
The soldier to population ratio in Russia isnt different than in US, enough to compare 1.1 mil strong Russian forces with 2.5+ mil American's. So, I cannot see Russian forces below 1 mil in visible future. The reservour for reformation is existing however in reducing secondary stuff and high rank stuff officers in favor of more battle soldiers and officers.

BTW thanks for this article: it's very new information, from July, 18.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The soldier to population ratio in Russia isnt different than in US, enough to compare 1.1 mil strong Russian forces with 2.5+ mil American's. So, I cannot see Russian forces below 1 mil in visible future. The reservour for reformation is existing however in reducing secondary stuff and high rank stuff officers in favor of more battle soldiers and officers.

BTW thanks for this article: it's very new information, from July, 18.
But there is the problem of nearly all armed forces around the world.
It is not the staff personal which gets cut first but the boots on the ground when an army is reducing in size.
A lot of militaries tend to get more and more top heavy after the end of cold war.

extern

T-90 at Russia Expo Arms 2008
Thanks, ThierryLachapelle! Your pics from this exhibition were just awesome on different fora.

For those who still doesnt believe in 13,000 tanks on Russian service (including reserve units of course), I can recomend the article (english) of the prominent Russian tankman expert Sergey Suvorov, there he writes about 22,000 tank, but this number of course including the tanks in any condition, base storage etc. This is it:
russian tanks.pdf - 1.03MB
Those, who try to count this number via. current units list have understand, that an avarage tank division has much more tanks than 300 'crewed'. It because in peace period they use for training the 'training storage' tanks to save lifspan of 'war period storage'.

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yes, your pictures are great, ThierryLachapelle!

Are those three big armor tiles on the side of the hull that one regularly sees on T-90 ERA? They seem a little too thin to contain any explosives.

Yes, your pictures are great, ThierryLachapelle!

Are those three big armor tiles on the side of the hull that one regularly sees on T-90 ERA? They seem a little too thin to contain any explosives.
Thks man..........I think that the three armor tiles can't to contain more than 7,62mm, but i'm not sure