T-84 Serial Production?

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
For sure they should concentrate on defending their homeland.
They can never hope of matching Russia in a conflict and Russia is not going to retreat even if they take a bloody nose at the beginning.
And that's all the Georgians can hope of achieving unrelated to how they upgrade their skills and technology.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If they really lost ca. 30% of their tank inventory I wouldn't rate this as crippling and they may very well be able to operate with the tanks left for some time.
They weren't able to deploy the bulk of their tank fleet to the battles in south-ossetia and what went there was poorly employed.
What I think is more significant then the loss of equipment, is the damage to Georgian military infrastructure. Russian troops made a point of looting and demolishing Georgian bases.

Yes 30%, not just captured or abandoned, this percentage is for everything destroyed and captured, Russia stated that they captured 65 alone and this is what I am need believing. Your T-55 sightings more than likely belongs to Russia`s friends.
What I'm saying is that not that many Georgian tanks were destroyed in my opinion. There wasn't very much intense combat. For the most part the Georgian Army just fell apart. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it turned out that no more then 10-15 Georgian tanks were actually destroyed.

There is supposed to be 10 T-72s thrown in this deal also to help get them back up to strength with more to follow, T-84 follow on deals for long term T-72 replacements is supposed to happen, this remains to be seen. The problem that Georgia is facing is getting their hands on big ticket items, Russia has been very vocal to anyone giving them a hand and have stated that they will be at odds with anyone who sells to them.
The Ukranians don't seem to mind. With the current leadership that is.

After reviewing some of the after action reports it seems that one of the biggest blunders with the Georgians has to do with their top leadership including the President who decided to tell his commanders on what they were going to do during the fighting, he micro managed the battle to a point as to where he was telling them where to move their artillery. Their artillery was actually doing a good job of giving the Russians a fit, Russian commanders could never pinpoint their fire positions because they were taught to do pretty much what our cannon cockers do after a fire mission, move, I used this for example purposes.
Are the rumors true that a Tochka strike on Gori basically destroyed Georgian HQ? That was a claim I saw in Russian press. I also know Gori was the center for Georgian arty positions, which is why it came under pretty heavy fire.

EDIT: Anyways, this conversation is kind of all over the place. So nobody has specifics on the T-84 production run?

t-64bm

Hello Fenya (Feanor can I call you Fenya or should I call you Fedya?),

:D

Check out this link about the upgrade of Ukraines T64s to the 64BM standard, perhaps the 84 might be on a far off horizon, but looks like the move has been made to bring the T64s up to a newer prettier standard.

Translated by google from Ukrainian to English..
.....State Budget for 2009, the creation, procurement, and modernization of armament and military equipment for the state defense order provided by the Ministry of Defense budget appropriations in the amount of 248,751.0 ths .. Всі кошти мають надійти зі спеціального фонду і бути розподілені таким чином: to modernize tanks t-64 to standard BM (Bulat) на модернізацію танків Т-64 до виду БМ “Булат” 100000,0 тис. грн., на виконання дослідно-конструкторської роботи з модернізації вертольота Мі-24 – 74000,0 тис. грн., на створення багатофункціонального ракетного комплексу – 8500,0 тис. грн., to purchase equipment for cummulative defence?на закупівлю пристроїв кумулятивного захисту для танків БМ “Булат” – 2500,0 тис. грн.,..... All funds have to come from the special fund and be distributed as follows: the modernization of tanks T-64 to form BM "Bulat" 100,000.0 ths., Pursuant to developmental work on upgrading Mi-24 - 74,000.0 thousand . UAH. on a multi-missile system (Multi Missle Probably a GRAD or Uragan type system) - 8500.0 thous., for the purchase of cumulative protection devices for tanks BM "Bulat - 2500.0 thous. on a promising type of ship corvette - 3751.0 thous. та на модернізацію вертольотів Мі-8 та Мі-24, які беруть участь у миротворчих операціях, а також закупівлю технічних аптечок до них – 60000,0 тис. грн.. and modernization of helicopters Mi-8 and Mi-24 that participate in peacekeeping operations, and procurement of technical aptechok them - 60,000.0 thousand USD ..

Lenta.ru:Article in Russian

and official release from Ukrainian Military here: Ukrainian Ministry of Defence Site

This main battle tank is fitted with new fire control system of the Ukrainian T-84 MBT. All sights and aiming devices were also upgraded.

from the Bulat overview here: T-64BM Bulat Main Battle Tank | Military-Today.com

Cheers Comrades,
In Mother Russia the Forum Trolls you!
Plasmahawk
According to arms-expo Ukraine is selling another ~20 tanks to Georgia. 12 of them are T-84 Oplot tanks.

îêòÿáðå Óêðàèíà ïîñòàâèò Ãðóçèè áîëåå äâàäöàòè òàíêîâ*—*ÎÐÓÆÈÅ ÐÎÑÑÈÈ, Ôåäåðàëüíûé ýëåêòðîííûé ñïðàâî÷íèê âîîðóæåíèÿ è âîåííîé òåõíèêè

I was wondering if anyone else had any news about the T-84 actually being in production? Last I heard were rumors of ~10 tanks being purchased by the Ukranian military, but since then they've had budget issues arise. Could those be the same tanks now being sold to Georgia?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing new. The T-64BM program started about 2 years ago, and so far has upgraded (as far as I know) one btln. This is the second contract, and will upgrade the second btln. It's a rather primitive upgrade ( in my opinion) of an outdated tank, that's being undertaken due to lack of funds for anything more.

They also *gasp* repairing some helos, working on a Grad variant, and planning to some time in the distant future produce their own corvette. In all honesty, after retarded incidents like selling Georgian Buks taken straight from active duty Ukranian forces, I'm hard pressed to take seriously any notions of Ukranian military modernization.

cameron200

According to arms-expo Ukraine is selling another ~20 tanks to Georgia. 12 of them are T-84 Oplot tanks.

îêòÿáðå Óêðàèíà ïîñòàâèò Ãðóçèè áîëåå äâàäöàòè òàíêîâ*—*ÎÐÓÆÈÅ ÐÎÑÑÈÈ, Ôåäåðàëüíûé ýëåêòðîííûé ñïðàâî÷íèê âîîðóæåíèÿ è âîåííîé òåõíèêè

I was wondering if anyone else had any news about the T-84 actually being in production? Last I heard were rumors of ~10 tanks being purchased by the Ukranian military, but since then they've had budget issues arise. Could those be the same tanks now being sold to Georgia?
i heard iraq maybe a customer as well for the M version can any one conferm this

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
As far as we know so far Iraq is not getting any T-84s. There was some talk of it, but right now Iraq is set on more T-72s and some M1s.

cameron200

As far as we know so far Iraq is not getting any T-84s. There was some talk of it, but right now Iraq is set on more T-72s and some M1s.
thank u the $2.5 billion deal with ukraine i know they getting 420 btr-4 and an36 cargo plane but are they any thing that they will get from it

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The details of the deal with Ukraine have yet to be announced. I think we should wait and see. The T-84 could make some sense within that context... but then the Iraqi Army is operating 3 MBTs...

T.C.P

Hey guys Bangladesh is going to procure large no. of T-84s. Our Army already ordered some 25 tanks according to a recent report. We have already received a few. Our Gvt. plans to procure around 350 T-84 Ytagans for our Third generation tank program along with Type-96Gs. Our army said they were satisfied with the tests on the T-84. for more details check it out on BD military.com

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could you link to the specific article? It would be more helpful then stumbling around military.com trying to find it.

T.C.P

Bangladesh: In 2007 the Bangladesh Army began negotiations for the procurement of 76 T-84 Yatagan tanks in the first batch. The Bangladesh Army intends to induct a substantial number of Yatagans (200 to 300) over the next several years as part of its third generation main battle tank procurement program[5]

Source wikipedia

Spetsznaz

Ukraine cant really afford to buy new T-90's

So the T-84 will be produced in larger numbers or will simply be Modernized

T.C.P

Ukraine cant really afford to buy new T-90's

So the T-84 will be produced in larger numbers or will simply be Modernized
which tanks modernization are talking about? the T-72 or the T-80?. there are a few T-84s in Ukraine's service

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
To the best of my knowledge there are no units equipped with the T-84. There is 1-2 btlns with the T-64BM, the rest have T-64 ad T-64B.

T.C.P

To the best of my knowledge there are no units equipped with the T-84. There is 1-2 btlns with the T-64BM, the rest have T-64 ad T-64B.
I thought the Ukrainian army operated T-72S, they sold these to Myanmer too.:gun

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
They have T-72s in storage. They've been selling them off to anyone who pay, Kenya, Georgia, Myanmar, etc.

Iirc even many of the T-80UD for Pakistan came from storage and active inventories, because of problems with the production.

Clampipe

Banned Member
During the course of the war I've collected as many publicly available images as possible. A photo of a destroyed T-55 was not among them. What can be clearly identified are 9 T-72 tanks, which are supposed to be 8 Georgian tanks (3 T-72A, 5 T-72B) and one Russian T-72B, but of course there were possibly more destroyed tanks in areas not accessible to journalists. Also the Russians have shown images of some captured T-72SIM-1 upgrades.
The Russian T-72B has K-5 ERA on it, no?

Was at the peacekeeper base, AFAIK?

Spetsznaz

The Russian T-72B has K-5 ERA on it, no?

Was at the peacekeeper base, AFAIK?
As I see you are new, welcome!

Can you please try to put a little more into your thread, tiny posts are very unpopular here (I learned that the hard way)

Yes the Late models of the T-72B do have ERA but if it its K-5 I am not completely sure.:confused:

But please stay on topic with the T-84 or at least provide a reason of why you brought up the T-72?:D