Syria says repulses Israeli jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

XaNDeR

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As was said, 'Repulse' is a fairly standard way of saying; 'They left, hence we must have made them leave' :)

As of mid 2006 Syria received KBM Strelets multiple launch units for Igla and Igla-S (SA-18). They also have S-200s (SA-5) together with Volga-M (SA-2) and S-125 Pechora (SA-3).
Those are pretty old systems , now if Syria had S-300 or a downgraded S-400 that would be different

FutureTank

Banned Member
Perhaps this is where the new Syrian Sam's are training, they are new platforms after all.
New AD systems are actually a political as well as a military weapon. Positioning of such weapons on the Israel's border, or even Iraq's would deliver a far more potent message then having them on the Turkish border.
In any case, the Syrian territory is large enough to enable introduction of new systems to be hidden more or less successfully in this initial period.

AntiBond007

Those are pretty old systems , now if Syria had S-300 or a downgraded S-400 that would be different
I don't even think they fired missiles at them, it sounds like it was just some AA rounds, just what I'm getting from reading. It sounds like the only reason they knew it was there because the sonic boom they heard. A radar would have detected the plane long before it was Syrian territory.

But I'm just wondering...how did they know it was Isreali? Afterall, it came from Turkey's airspace.

For its part, Israel is keeping mum for the most part, after all, why provide the enemy extra info, regardless if it was their plane, or not.

wittmanace

there was a site on the net with a download of gaps in air defence, and the map of syria showed a hole along this exact area. does anyone know which site im talking about? it was mapped with google earth, and tried to map all the known sam sites 'in the world'. it has north korean, russian, iranian, syrian, bulgarian, german, etc sam sites.....anyone know this site? it is the one with the downloadable program of all the sites listed.

FutureTank

Banned Member
I don't even think they fired missiles at them, it sounds like it was just some AA rounds, just what I'm getting from reading. It sounds like the only reason they knew it was there because the sonic boom they heard. A radar would have detected the plane long before it was Syrian territory.

But I'm just wondering...how did they know it was Isreali? Afterall, it came from Turkey's airspace.

For its part, Israel is keeping mum for the most part, after all, why provide the enemy extra info, regardless if it was their plane, or not.
Why assume it was a plane/s? Could have been a large RPV, or a helo.

contedicavour

The most interesting thing indeed is that no Syrian MIG took off to intercept the Israeli jets. This says quite a bit about readiness status...

cheers

scarey1989

agreed

Mod: Scarey1989; you are suppose to contribute. Your agreeing or disagreeing only matters when it generates some information, question & discussion. If you havent got any than sit back, read & learn & don't bother with posting anything at all.

Besides that, oneliners & especially one word are not allowed on this forum. (Read the rules).

Next time be careful !

-SABRE

Last edited by a moderator:

metro

you really think they could have done something?
From the info I've "gathered," a number of F15s were "checking out" (surprise) Shihab-3s that were unloaded in Syria ("Iran" just got a lot closer to Israel and within range of all of Western Europe. However, if a missile is launched, was it Syria--It's an IRGC base...? If some are moved closer to Lebanon and others near the Turkish boarder who does one fire back at?

Along with that they wanted to see the Syrian/Russian/Syrian? port up close...
As noted, the USAF, IAF, and Turkey all train regularly over Turkey and when necessary/important, fly over Syria. In this case, Israel has its high-holidays next week I believe.
I'll keep asking though.

contedicavour

you really think they could have done something?
Provided both sides had the order not to start a new war, ie not to shoot first, it would at least have provided us with a good dogfighting scene ;)
Besides, if no BVR missiles had been shot, MIG29s with R73s can be quite dangerous even for Israeli F15I with the latest Pythons.

cheers

funtz

repulse, what could they mean by this?
May be they fired a sam which forced the IAF jets to drop the fuel tanks and head home, interception is out of the question not unless syria upgrades its Mig21,23,29.
I dont think the syrians will miss any opprtunity to fire some sam at IAF jets over them.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
repulse, what could they mean by this?
May be they fired a sam which forced the IAF jets to drop the fuel tanks and head home, interception is out of the question not unless syria upgrades its Mig21,23,29.
I dont think the syrians will miss any opprtunity to fire some sam at IAF jets over them.
Interception can do the job (that is with no engagement). Israel wouldn't want to shoot down Syrian Fighters in Syrian airspace. That would prove Israel as aggressor. They have been trying to save face since Lebanon Conflict, hence as soon as their radars see Syrian Fighters they fly back. If the Syrians had followed them into Israel than there would have been quite a different story.

SAMs cannot be side lined either ... wish Syrians had provided a bettwe picture.

metro

Provided both sides had the order not to start a new war, ie not to shoot first, it would at least have provided us with a good dogfighting scene ;)
Under those "orders" would you feel safe starting out a dogfight with the "enemy" on your tail:pope

Also, even if no weapon is fired, a MIG29 pilot could still collide with the F-15, taking the concept of "RAM," to its extreme, while proving the MIG29 does have a very sophisticated concept of "RAM.";)

Besides, if no BVR missiles had been shot, MIG29s with R73s can be quite dangerous even for Israeli F15I with the latest Pythons.
cheers
The Israelis are definitely not letting much out about this one, even the people I know over there who can't avoid talking anytime (you just have to ask twice) are playing dumb & dumber. The main reasons that I understand the flights were taken, were looking at knew IRGC base in Syria where Shihab3s are now located, and to take a close look at the Syrian/Russian port. I haven't really read European Press reports bout this incident, but have larger papers/media that might "typically be liked in Israel" been "quieter" on this? I'm just wondering because, Europe now has a big problem with these missiles in Syria?

I don't think any SAMS were launched, Israel dropped fuel tanks (with Israeli markings--just answering the question of how any1 knows they were Israeli planes--to show those could have been large bombs (i.e. sending a message). Since they broke the sound barrier (hello, we're here, if your radar isn't working), before turning and heading back, then dropping their tanks in Syria, it seems to me a recon mission was first, followed by the message that they, "can fly over w/o a problem" giving Assad something to think about.

A little while after this, Israel pulled off crazy abductions in GAZA of a couple top Hamas leaders. This while people were all looking north.
IMO, Israel showing it has the ability to strike anywhere in the region and trying to reassert deterrence through strength.

What's ironic, is that Hamas has been firing some heavy US arms from Gaza (the arms, were forgotten behind by Fatah) Apaches and the likes have all had to change the ways they operate.
This includes civilian airliners which now have had to alter their landing pattern into Ben-Gurion, because of weapons both in Gaza and W.Bank and sophisticated Comm, which is being used to interfere with antiquated airline transmissions (there have been a few very close call because of interference in response or lack of one) from certain commercial aircraft. There are only a few airlines I'd consider flying in on (one of our domestic carriers must use rookies on that route:crazy ), otherwise I'd rather try to land at the old Kai-Tek in a mild hurricane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.