Sweden/Soviet Union provocative actions

Capt.Mike

I know this is an old thread, BUT...

I have been a Tank officer in the Swedish Army between 1978-2012.
During the 80´s i was first a platoon commander and later a Tank company C.
I was alwas placed at the same unit in the same battalion.
This battalion was on 24 h standby 24-7, 365 dayes a year, all thrugh the 80´s.
The first week in case of war, we had a standing order to defend some of the Swedish airforce peacetime airfields, NOT the war/road airfieldes. As you can understand this was discussed a lot between the officer´s. ALL war planning was against an attac from WP.
I saw earlier in the thread, that The tension between Sweden and Soviet during the U137 incedent in 1981. A few years after that my Brigade(Brigade units) and my Battalion were called in for a 5-6 weeks manuver. The S-tank and Viggen had a lot in common when it came to the hydralic system. The hydralic mekanic in my company normaly worked with Viggen´s. During this exercise we became verry good friens. The story he told me was the fact, that a full skale war between Sweden and Soviet was avoided with only 15-20 sec to spare.
Two ships had broken loose from the Soviet armada just outside the Swedish border and was steming towards Karlskrona.Our Supreme Comander had got orders to defend the Swedish bor:)der at any prize. My friends airbase scrambeld more than 40 AJ37 with live anti-ship missels.The pilot on my friend´s Viggen estimated that they were 15-20 sec from launch when the stand down order came.
The fact was that two West German merchent ships, headed for Karlskrona had traveld right thrugh the Soviet armada. How this was detected, i don´t know, maby thrugh a swedish sub.:)

Lostfleet

I have a question a bit related to this event and I am sorry it might sound a bit stupid as well,

This event with the submarine was dubbed " Whiskey on the Rocks" well, do they call whiskey with ice 'whiskey on the rocks' because of this event, or was it called like that even before this event?

Capt.Mike

Thete are no stupid questions, only answers

I have a question a bit related to this event and I am sorry it might sound a bit stupid as well,

This event with the submarine was dubbed " Whiskey on the Rocks" well, do they call whiskey with ice 'whiskey on the rocks' because of this event, or was it called like that even before this event?
I can´t speak for the entire nation, but i have never seen that on a bar menue. On the other hand i don´t like Whiskey.:(

Lostfleet

I can´t speak for the entire nation, but i have never seen that on a bar menue. On the other hand i don´t like Whiskey.:(
Shame you don't like whiskey :)

This phrase is mostly used at bars in United States, ( I don't know how common it is in Canada, UK or Australia),

STURM

This phrase is mostly used at bars in United States, ( I don't know how common it is in Canada, UK or Australia),
In the U.K and many other places, whiskey that orginates from Scotland is more commonly called 'scotch'. In the U.S., Jack Daniels would be called 'whiskey' but stuff like Jim Beam and Wild Turkey would be more acurately called bourbon.

The incident was called 'Whiskey on the rock's because it involved a Whiskey class SSK that ran aground on rocks but the term 'Whiskey on the rocks' - to describe a shot of Whiskey with just ice - came into common usage way before the incident and is widely used in most, if not all English speaking countries. It's something that is commonly used but which most people, including myself, have no idea where it originated from, just like the term 'whiskey neat'.

I have been a Tank officer in the Swedish Army between 1978-2012.
When you left the army in 2012, how were tank battalions organised? Was it 3 companies each, followed by 3 platoons?

Capt.Mike

In the U.K and many other places, whiskey that orginates from Scotland is more commonly called 'scotch'. In the U.S., Jack Daniels would be called 'whiskey' but stuff like Jim Beam and Wild Turkey would be more acurately called bourbon.

The incident was called 'Whiskey on the rock's because it involved a Whiskey class SSK that ran aground on rocks but the term 'Whiskey on the rocks' - to describe a shot of Whiskey with just ice - came into common usage way before the incident and is widely used in most, if not all English speaking countries. It's something that is commonly used but which most people, including myself, have no idea where it originated from, just like the term 'whiskey neat'.

When you left the army in 2012, how were tank battalions organised? Was it 3 companies each, followed by 3 platoons?
First, sorry for the delay you hade to endure. The fact i as these units are still in service(not that i distrust 90% of allreaders. I just don´t feel right to talk about.
But lets say everything is more taylored made depending on your mission:)