Supersonic Missiles.

funtz

Klub is only now being inducted. That article is wrong. Klub is only on Talwar (probably got it after 2004) and they are still having problems with its launcher. Same with the ones China got in 2006, still problems. Still need quite a bit of work before being ready imo. In terms of concept, Klub is a generation ahead of most AshM out there. Unfortunately, the implementation is not the greatest.
Please provide links or references which lead you to your above stated comments.

Let me inform you that the
“The Sindugosh will be the eigth Kilo class submarine of the Indian Navy to be equipped with the 3M-54E1 cruise missile (Nato designation Klub-S)”
“In early October, Sindhugosh successfully completed Club-S missile tests at a firing range of the Russian Northern Fleet's Belomorskaya naval station in the White Sea.”
source: http://kuku.sawf.org/News/3413.aspx

Warships back, but forces keep high alert
12 Jun 2002, 0058 hrs IST,TNN
The WNF includes the Navy’s "main potent assets" like the aircraft carrier INS Viraat battle group, "Kilo" class submarines armed with underwater-launched Klub cruise missiles,guided-missile destroyers and frigates, among others.

Russia returns Klub-S cruise missiles
19 Oct 2005, 2242 hrs IST,Rajat Pandit,TNN
INS Sindhushastra inducted in 2000, came with the "tube-launched missile capability". The other four, like INS Sidhuratna and INS Sidhuvir, have been refitted with the Klub-S missiles in Russia since then.

Perhaps you consider submarines as a part of the army, but i can assure you the Indian Navy operates them.

“The contract for the production of Club-N missile system was made with Baltiysky Zavod owing to the previous experience of the shipyard. In 2000-2004 Baltiysky Zavod produced the analogous systems and fitted them onto three frigates project 11356, which were built for the Indian Navy. Upon results of operation testing of the system the Indian Naval Staff made a decision to arm their frigates with anti-ship weapons produced by Baltiysky Zavod.”
Source: http://www.bz.ru/en/news*3,29.html
This is from the proverbial horses mouth.

10/16/2000: CLUB-S ANTISHIP WEAPON SYSTEM AVAILABLE FOR EXPORTED SUBMARINES
On 16 October 2000, Rubin's Chief Designer Yuriy Kormilitsin announced that the bureau was ready to modernize previously exported Varshavyanka [NATO name 'Kilo'] and Lada [NATO name 'Amur'] class diesel submarines with the new Club-S antiship weapon system. This system enables the submarine to fire Club-S missiles [NATO designation SS-NX-27 'Alfa'], as well as torpedoes, from six torpedo tubes in the bow.[1,2] The system has already been installed on the Sindhuvir submarine built for the Indian Navy in 1988 at Admiralteyskiye Verfi; the submarine was modernized in 1999 at Zvezdochka shipyard in Severodvinsk.[3,4] The newest Indian submarine, Sindhushastra, was bought with the system already installed. In August 2000, a third submarine, Sindhuratna, went to Russia for modernization, during which it will be equipped with the Club-S system.[3,5] According to Jane's Intelligence Review, India bought the supersonic 3M54E Club system, which has a range of 220km, not the subsonic 3M54E1 with a longer range. The Indian Navy plans to have the supersonic system installed on its seven remaining Varshavyankas. Frigates that are being built for the Indian Navy at the Baltic Shipyard will be outfitted with a surface-launched version: the 3M54TE Club-N system.[4] Russia has exported a total of 19 Varshavyankas and two Amurs to various countries.[1]
Sources:
[1] "TsKB MT 'Rubin' gotovo ustanovit na raneye eksportirovannyye podvodnyye lodki proyektov 877EKM i 636 noveyshyy protivokarabelnyy kompleks 'Klab-S'," ITAR-TASS, 16 October 2000; in Integrum Techno, http://www.integrum.ru.
[2] A.D. Baker III, The Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World 2000-2001 (Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 2000; CD-ROM ed.)
[3] Steve Zaloga, "India Joins the Russian Naval Missile System Club," Jane's Intelligence Review, No. 12, December 2000, pp. 43-45.
[4] Pavel Kachur, "Sindhuvir Operational Again," Military Parade online edition, http://www.milparade.com/1999/35/031.htm, No. 35, September-October 1999.
[5] Roman Khrapachevsky, Izvestiya, 9 August 2000, in "Supersonic Above the Sea," Lexis-Nexis Academic Universe, http://web.lexis-nexis.com. {Entered 3/29/2001 EF}
Source: http://www.nti.org/db/nisprofs/russia/naval/technol/resdespr/rubin.htm
they have provided the sources of their information, unlike you.

And about the Club missile on INS Talvar, who told you there are problems with the launcher.

The only thing really out in public domain is that Talvars sam had a problem with the Russian SAM system, that too of illumination frequency.
During qualification tests conducted for the Talwar Class frigates, a 3M-54E missile completed a successful live-fire test in the Barents Sea, demonstrating its maximum operational range of 220 km. The missile performed flawlessly and accurately hit the target.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Klub.html

Both sides get better. If the radar signature of the ship is not very large, you can create numerous similar decoy radar signatures around the ship to confuse the seeker.
Well that is the point, isn't it, with time both seeker and CM will improve. Otherwise just tow decoys and chaff, and couple them with a big gun and lots of jamming. Even the AC 130 gunships are invincible.

It’s well known the Russian export variants are not as good as equivalent domestic copies (I'm not talking about su-27 vs MKI, but rather like N-001V vs N-001VE)
I think you are confusing India with Iraq-Iran and your timing about the events seem to be in the good old soviet days.
Indian military generally refuses to accept anything sub-standard, if you have a doubt about this i can point out a lot of instances. Everything around here is as good as the Russians can produce.
To claim that Russians are selling sub standard to there own stuff in the competitive times we live in is hard to fathom.

Look at the missiles the Russians use, it's all 300 km+ in range. And then look at the missiles they export, all under 300 km due to MTCR. China does it too, something like YJ-62 is conveniently limited to 280 KM in range.
Where is the Yakhont, the very problems it faces are violation of aforementioned MTCR.

the important things under disscussion here are
- integrated navigation system'
- integration "software"e.
- Ramjet/scramjet/pulse jet/combined cycle engines.

Which are made by the same scientist/engineers, so according to you they made a real effort of downgrading all of these, he he.

Does a 10 km reduction leaves a missile ineffective, changed and a "monkey product".

These are things which can only come out of the guys involved in the project, so again how do you know this, provide links.

if you think so
It doesn’t matter what you or I think.
The tests were done, they were on TV, newspaper and You tube for heavens sake, why do you doubt them.

not that simple. I've explained the difficulty in acquiring targets and such. The seeker has a very limited range against modern ships with good ECM and stealth features. They have very limited time to find the target due to the fact that they have to try to trick ship defense at the same time that it's trying to find the ship. Consider this, when the missile is flying at 5 m high, it's radar horizon is much less than that of a surface search radar on top of the forward mast of the opposing ship. So, in order to find the ship, it has to fly much higher to hopefully lock on and then dip down again to avoid detection. That's why middle-course guidance is needed as stated in the article. If you can't understand this concept, there is no point for me to comment more on this.
not that simple,well i hope its not, this is the "rocket science", people refer to when they say, "hey its not rocket science".

Even a guy like me knows that if you can guide the missile all the way to target nothing like it, the whole argument is to have smarter weapons that do the job themselves, even a guided missile will go on to meet the target till its seeker is active, at which point the guidance doesn't matter.

Radar/visual horizon is no concept, it’s a well established fact and information is readily available about it.

At 10 meter the missiles radar seeker has a range to the horizon of at least 13,000 m. Taking into account atmospheric refraction effects and considering its target will be a point on the surface and not a ship.

A 15 meter high target will be inside radar horizon, for a missile flying at 10m at 29,014m and in visual horizon at 25,127m.
For a missile going at 15 meters and seeking a target at 15m the radar horizon is 31,945m and the visual horizon is 27665
Source: horizon calculators: there are plenty of them online.

So where is the need of "popping up" if you are going to find the target 5 km away from where it originally was, it might as well not move. I think the club does that.

The popping up you mention, the club does that,

once the initial coordinates of the target are provided, the fire control system plans a route to the target, the missile flying at a lower sea skimming level 5-10m from the surface at sub sonic speeds to avoid detection flys close tho the target,

when it is about to approach what is the probable target area, it pops up and scans the area with its active radar,

this happens because in the time it takes the club to approach the probable target area the target dispersion is higher than say a faster missile, this combined with its low level of flight, once the seeker has locked on, even the great club descends to 3 to 5 meters above sea level and accelerates to a supersonic speed of Mach 2.9 in a zigzagging terminal run to hit its target.

View attachment 1986
Image Source: internet

Well consider the situation in very layman(me) terms:
a missile that reaches point 'A' to point 'B' (290 km away in 290 seconds) to find a target at point 'B'.

The displacement of the target is 5 km in 290 seconds, a circle around point 'B' with the radius of 5 km.

The seeker range with respect to the height of the seeker and the target is 20-25 km at an angle of 45 degree from either side. which will be a quarter sector of a circle, with a 90 degree angle and radius 20-25 km.

As the missile approaches point 'B' the target with a displacement of 5 Km is well with in the missile seeker range.

Even for different parameters limiting the seeker range(horizon), increasing the displacement of the target, degrading the accuracy of the missile with in acceptable limits, the solutions do not seem to suggest what you said about the "inability of the seeker to find the target", as long as the accuracy of the missile to arrive at the point B is degraded by a huge margin or the target displacement is increased by a margin unachievable for a Naval vessel which will be the target.

And the missile in question goes about the day at 10-15 m, no point taking of 5m.

The missile has been claimed to distinguish between different targets, if you have a reason to reject this state that reason and what do you base that on.

At radar horizon of 25000 for a missile at 10 m and the target at 15 m,

This will still give the missile 25-30 sec to scan the area, distinguish and lock on to what the parameters in the terminal guidance mechanism will confirm as a preferred target so that the final guidance towards that target can start.

There are very few systems that are able to in your words accurately "monkey" a ships characteristics, and they too try to constantly evolve, i wonder why.

Again to comment on the capability of this mechanism requires a knowledge of what logic/depth they used, the available electronic equipment they used etc. etc. which no one willing to talk will let out. This is a day and age where solutions to complex problems have been achieved by employing novel methods(stuff like genetic algorithms, differential evolution is not a science friction any more it is a science fact.)

If the mechanism fails to distinguish between different detected objects with in this window of time and lock on to one of them how will more time help?

Counter- measures, counter- ‘counter measures’, this has gone on for a long time, each CM needs to be analyzed individually.

Now it is a question of moving the missile in towards a target that will move at 30 knots.

Elaborating on the test of a weapons system that has earlier already been proven Project Chief Sivathanu Pillai, who heads the BrahMos Air Space Ltd. said, "...we staged for the first time on Sunday an experiment to see whether it [the missile] is able to make sharp maneuvers at supersonic speeds.
"The missile proved able to do it and, thereby, confirmed its very high combat effectiveness".
that really spoils the party of all those who are going on and on about supersonic missiles not being maneuverable doesn't it.
source: http://kuku.sawf.org/Articles/33122.aspx

A lot of other missiles cost a whole more. Expensive does not mean better. Look, you just have to think about it this way, the Russians had anti-ship missiles that went mach6 and the missiles still need to be guided. As long as the ships move, as long as there are other objects in the area that have radar signature, the missiles will need to be guided. The active seeker does not normally start seeking until when they are within 40 km of the target.
It does not mean "sub standard, cant hit a target at claimed range, ineffective in front of floating chaffs, failure at all counts for which it was made" either.

Even if other objects are detected it is not impossible to distinguish between them and lock on to a single one of them based on the data acquired through the radar seeker in order start the final guidance towards a target, if you get 40 seconds to do this even better. if even this time is not enough how will more time help?

The actual process of target moving around will not help much even if till the last 20-30 km, all that the missile does is to try to follow as straight a path to the known target position as possible, and then switch on the active radar seeker.

Point of using inertial mid course guidance in a anti shipping missile, is that no matter how fast the ship moves, the missile will manage to arrive in a area - where the active missile seeker will be effective in tracking and locking on to the target. This has been achieved by other anti shipping missiles too. According to the information online Russian Klub missile being one of them, that is to say using a inertial guidance with Active radar homing.

What you are essentially questioning is the capability of the inertial mid course guidance system, to get the missile with in 20-30 km of the expected location of the target.

Even if you manage to get the missile to this range with the help of mid course guidance from a data link with another earth based system, and then switch on the radar acquisition, if the ship is really able to radiate signals in a direction different to the flight trajectory through its immense "stealth" ability how will the radar seek the target, essentially till you can guide the missile to the very final moments of impact how will the data link help?

All of what I have typed vanishes into thin air, when we consider that:

The whole point of having a project aim of a fire and forget missile is beaten, if you provide a mid course guidance from a outside source (except a GPS signal, which apparently they have), you are much better off refining the inertial mid-course guidance.:nutkick

Just as I thought, Carlo Kopp. One of the least credible authors online.
My logic in English seems to be really bad.

IF you want to see more horrible errors see my posts above (anyways knowing anything about the PLA-AF is next to impossible), who is Gary? am i supposed to know Gary?

He made mistakes.

I make a lot of mistakes(as you can obviously see).

Even you make mistakes (i can point out some).

It still doesn’t answer my question to you.

Last edited:

funtz

Try to comment and provide the reference, so that it is something useful to me instead of something i just heard online from some guy.

Especially when you consider i have on more than one occasion asked for any sort of reference.

By 2005, final series of test firings had confirmed 100% hits on every type of anti-ship missile in the Indian Navy's inventory.

Live firings of the Barak-1 have been recorded on the Delhi Class destroyers, in particular, INS Mysore. The most recent test-firing of the Barak SAM system, occurred during a naval exercise on 05 January 2007 [6]. 14 successful test-firings of the Barak SAM have occurred as of January 2007
Source: http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Barak.html
:whip

Last edited:

i am zid

What i don't trust is the range we are in the 21st century and they could only manage to build a missile with a range of 290KM !!
the BGM-109 Tomahawk has a range of 2500 km
our ships will get destroyed before they can get close enough
I really think they are laying
especially since brahmos is nuke capable, and a lot of ppl would be unhappy if we had a long range supersonic nuke missile

SkolZkiy

What i don't trust is the range we are in the 21st century and they could only manage to build a missile with a range of 290KM !!
the BGM-109 Tomahawk has a range of 2500 km
our ships will get destroyed before they can get close enough
I really think they are laying
especially since brahmos is nuke capable, and a lot of ppl would be unhappy if we had a long range supersonic nuke missile
to launch missile for 2500 you coordinates and Ship is always moving - so I doubt that in anti-ship variant Tamahawk could be launched on such distance. Next - Anti-ship Tamahawk is not in service and only now Raytheon offered to produce new missiles. There is new Harpoon with range 200+. But still the main weapon of the US NAVY are F-18 with Harpoon.

Yes you right about Brahmos but according to treaty RUssia and US cannot export or help in desing of missiles with range more then 300 km, that's why Iskander-E (export variant) has range 280 km and Brahmos has 290 km. And at last - India at first need to make nuke of such small size to pur it into Brahmos.