Suparco to build first indigenous satellite

fieldmarshal

Suparco to build first indigenous satellite

KARACHI: The Pakistan’s Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (Suparco) is drafting a feasibility report to build country’s first indigenous satellite at an estimated cost of $200 million under National Satellite Development Programme (NSDP) within five years, the Suparco chief, Maj Gen Raza Hussain, said.

Talking to journalists after attending the inaugural session of Suparco’s short-training course on ‘environmental pollution monitoring’ on Monday, he said that Pakistan had earlier deployed a communication satellite Paksat-1 at 38 degree East longitude in the Geostationary Orbit in December 2002 as an interim solution to save the orbital slot.

"We will ‘wrap up’ the feasibility study by January 2005 to go on designing Paksat-1R to replace the present Paksat-1 satellite hired essentially to occupy the orbital slot for Pakistan," Raza Hussain told, adding Pakistan has to replace Paksat-1 with its own satellite version because the present satellite’s life is of five years.

Raza Hussain said the satellite would be a joint venture with any satellite manufacturer in the world agreed to collaborate on Pakistan’s terms.

Pakistan’s space programme was initiated almost simultaneously with Indian, but there has always been a vast technological gap between two countries’ capabilities, he said. "India spends half a billion dollars on its space programme and has injected 9 to 10 satellites, including communication satellite on its own," he maintained. "What we need is sustainability of our satellite programme and political commitment."

According to the Suparco chief, a committee, headed by minister of IT, will evaluate the feasibility report before giving a green-signal for the satellite development with any international manufacturing party.

srirangan

Banned Member
This is a good start. But let's not get into a race betw the two countries here atleast. So will you guys head to the Chinese to launch a satellite? Or will ya use the cheap tried and trusted Russian launch vehicles?

We do some launching business at par with the best in the world this side of the Wagah too, if ISRO is to launch this satellite it will be a huge boost for academic and scientific ties betw both countries, and PAK can benifit tremendously with this.

:smokingc:

adsH

there was talk of an indigenous Launch form Pakistan but i think for rite now and since the Satellite would be-worth alot,i think they would use the traditional Launchers the central Russian states.

lalith prasad

Banned Member
it is not a completely different ball game to build the launch facility.building a satellite is nothing compared to developing the launch facility.

Sultan

Pakistan is currently working on the SLV.....

i think by the time this Satellite is ready.. the SLV should be also ready.. it says five years.. Prez Mush last year said, that "we have time for five years, but i've given Suparco 3 years" ..... so i guess we'll see something good in the next three - four years...

Sultan

here is the article from last year that i was talking about
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Musharraf Sees Pak-built Satellite Ready In 3 Years

Naveed Ahmad

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan: Jan 25, 2003 (PNS) - General Pervez Musharraf Saturday announced to launch the country's own manufactured and developed satellite in three years.

Addressing the inauguration ceremony of the PAKSAT I in Orbital slot 38 E, the president Saturday said, "We will put our own satellite in orbit in three years."

After losing four slots, Pakistan has rushed to fill the last slot expiring on April 19 by launching a third-hand satellite named, PAKSAT I.

While announcing the ambitious plan to launch the country own-built satellite within three years, Musharraf said it would be used to promote distance education programme.

"Although, we have space of five years to launch our own satellite, I have given three years for the task," he said.

Musharraf said the launching of the satellite as a tremendous achievement.

The general said so far, we had no satellite in orbit there was a psychological barrier that prevented us from achieving our targets.

Pakistan has bought the satellite for $4.5 million to buy Boeings hand Hughes Global Systems satellite (HGS3). However, the Boeing Company has not given any performance guarantees for shifting the defective HGS3 satellite to 38 E orbital slot of Pakistan as PAKSAT 1. The satellite was designed and launched for Indonesia in 1998 which claimed insurance after it developed powerpack problem in 1998. After buying back the satelli te the owners sold it to Turkey which named it as Anatolia 1.

Musharraf also remarked, The risk was always there, but when "niyaats" are clean and noble for the nation, than Allah Almighty also helps."

The president believed, "We will unveil the power of technology to bring high quality education to all."

He observed that the satellite also provides Pakistan an opportunity to learn new technology and to work on our indigenous satellite projects.

He, however, said the PAKSAT I would only be used to meet the communication needs of the country besides being an earth observation satellite.

The PAKSAT I will also be used to meet the tele-communication needs of the people, particularly those living in the remote areas and Pakistan can move ahead on its e-governance plans.

The president pinned high hopes with the Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Council (SUPARCO) which would make the lift-off of our satellite possible in few years time.

He lauded the efforts of the whole team taking part in the whole process of acquiring the satellite and said, I have been only a decision-maker and a facilitator to the project.

He also lauded the services of Dr Atta for the project while regretting the inaction of the previous governments over the issue.

He recalled, "I was kept informed of the progress of the satellite and I relaxed when it was successfully put in its place in the slot reserved for Pakistan and it started beaming."

The president directed the Higher Education Commission and the Ministry of Education to devote all their efforts with the S&T Ministry to project Pakistan beyond its borders.

General Musharraf blamed earlier prohibitive cost of bandwidth for preventing Pakistan from using the satellite technology for education. He hoped that with the lower of costs after PAKSAT, we can use it for commercial purposes.

Musharraf also said the already announced four educational channels would help the government provide free education in all the nooks and corners of the country.

Musharraf hoped to meet the higher educational needs through the Virtual University as well as the primary and secondary educational requirements through the PAKSAT.

He confidently said, "We will harness the power of internet to provide high quality education to the people of Pakistan."

General Musharraf said he saw many exciting uses of the new technology as the chairman of the COMSTECH.

He also observed, "Pakistan can be developed as a hub of learning for the Muslim Ummah. We can use PAKSAT I to beam educational programs in the Mu slim world."

Minister for Information Technology and Telecommunications, Owais Ahmad Khan Leghari also expressed great hopes to fully utilize the communication satellite for education.

Owais said, "Our next big user is the High Education Commission and by utilizing the satellite, we would be able to promote education in the country.

Former science and technology ministry Dr Atta-ur-Rahman and NTC chairman AVM Maud also spoke about their role in the accomplishment of the task.

Source

insas556

[Admin Edit: The thread isn't about Indian space program and no body is interested in comparing pakistan and Indian space program. Stick to the topic and if you cannot do that just don't reply. ]