Sunburst: The Invincible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galrahn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Question: I have heard it is virtually impossible to mask the heat signature of a solid propellant. Is that true?

I have heard that is the weakness of super-sonic ASCMs, and one of the main ways they are detectable over the horizon by modern anti-missile detection systems.

By the same token, I have heard that is what makes the Club missile so dangerous, specifically because it approaches at sub-sonic speed (more stealthy) then accelerates to super-sonic speeds during the missile terminal phase, thus narrows the response time of detection considerably by not giving the defender much time to effectively respond to the threat.

Have I been hearing accurate information or is this partially myth? I'd be interested in a professional response to my question.

Khairul Alam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is the Sunburst you guys r talkin about simply the NATO name given to the 3M-54 Klub? (I kno the Nato coding for it is the SS-N-27, but no name was given to it on the page http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/club.htm)
I think the Klub missile you are referring to is not the Sunburst missile. The other nicknames of the Klub are Biryuza and Alpha, and nowhere is the name Sunburst mentioned.
In one site it is mentioned that the missiles sold to Iran back in 1993 were of the designation "SS-N-22", which is actually the SUNBURN or Moskit missile, not the SUNBURST missile. I m confused:confused:

contedicavour

I think the Klub missile you are referring to is not the Sunburst missile. The other nicknames of the Klub are Biryuza and Alpha, and nowhere is the name Sunburst mentioned.
In one site it is mentioned that the missiles sold to Iran back in 1993 were of the designation "SS-N-22", which is actually the SUNBURN or Moskit missile, not the SUNBURST missile. I m confused:confused:
So am I (confused) ... the only more modern SSMs after Klub are the Yakhont/Onyx SSMs. Are those the "Sunburst"s ?

cheers

DragonKing786

Hi., guyies some interesting discussion going on., from what I have seen by looking at a map and reading what you guyies have pointed out, Iran's trump card would be closing down the strait of homez..But.

#1 Either they make good target on the ships (tankers).
#2 They blow their own tankers (to stop the advance of the USN) for a short time.

** I will think they might do #2, since the other surrounding oil producing countries wouldn't want to loose their tankers.

The sun-burst anti-ship missile is capable but from specs of Aegis and missile, etc. The Aegis would be able to handle it without a problem. But it's going to be how the iranian play their cards and tactics., which I know they might have learned from the summer war and iraqi war. Iran could be defeated but it wouldn't be that easy. Also., note that the coalation isn't as strong it was during the afghan war, alot of countries have pulled out their troops, and it will mostly be US and British (mojority of the forces, if war with Iran will happen which i'm 100% sure and know it would soon).

---
Also want to point out during the summer war., Israel claimed it was a chinese anti-ship missile., but we haven't been provided any solid proof., [Admin: text deleted. It would pay to have a quick read of the forum rules before further posting. The comments deleted are not the kind of posting behaviour that is accepted in here - irrespective of what/who/where country involved] so until we don't really know we can't rule it was chinese., and i'm pretty sure if they knew they had rockets they would go to ocean on full alert espically during war time which lasted longer than any arab-isro war.
---

Last edited by a moderator:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Also want to point out during the summer war., Israel claimed it was a chinese anti-ship missile., but we haven't been provided any solid proof., ---
actually the subsequent debriefings do point to a known missile type.

the post analysis briefing has been very very comprehensive.

szaba

How does it defeat Aegis

My (limited) understanding was that the Sunburn SS-N-22 cruises at Mach 2.5closing in on the carrier battle group skimming at 9ft above the sea doing 1500 mph or in other words if detection range was 30 miles then you have about 60seconds to kill it.

However for the terminal approach some (20?) miles from the target (20 seconds after initial detection?) the missile performs a violent popup manoeuver and flies to some ridiculous high altitude for a final pure vertical terminal phase. Even if you hit the thing if it is in vertical dive coming down at mach 3 its still going to come down and if it is above your aircraft carrier with large surface area it will wear the debris and warhead. Aegis and other Naval radars and defensive systems are not optimised for vertical threats.

The challenge is for the launch platform (naval, land based or aircraft) is to get close enough (100 miles) to launch without being obliterated first.

merocaine

The challenge is for the launch platform (naval, land based or aircraft) is to get close enough (100 miles) to launch without being obliterated first.
Thats not a problem in a large lake....

Is there a Link to tha Israeli Debrief?

contedicavour

My (limited) understanding was that the Sunburn SS-N-22 cruises at Mach 2.5closing in on the carrier battle group skimming at 9ft above the sea doing 1500 mph or in other words if detection range was 30 miles then you have about 60seconds to kill it.

However for the terminal approach some (20?) miles from the target (20 seconds after initial detection?) the missile performs a violent popup manoeuver and flies to some ridiculous high altitude for a final pure vertical terminal phase. Even if you hit the thing if it is in vertical dive coming down at mach 3 its still going to come down and if it is above your aircraft carrier with large surface area it will wear the debris and warhead. Aegis and other Naval radars and defensive systems are not optimised for vertical threats.

The missile would be very vulnerable while popping up, appearing very visible on all radars and IRST sensors and thus being an ideal target for Asters / ESSM etc.

cheers

turin

So am I (confused) ... the only more modern SSMs after Klub are the Yakhont/Onyx SSMs. Are those the "Sunburst"s ?
Simply put someone got it wrong from the beginning and yes, I guess, that someone was actually referring to the 3M80 / SS-N-22 "Moskit" aka "Sunburn". Iran is using a very limited number in its coastal defense forces. There is no "Sunburst" missile and the Sunburn has been discussed to death on nearly every forum I encountered, this one included. ;)

However for the terminal approach some (20?) miles from the target (20 seconds after initial detection?) the missile performs a violent popup manoeuver and flies to some ridiculous high altitude for a final pure vertical terminal phase. Even if you hit the thing if it is in vertical dive coming down at mach 3 its still going to come down and if it is above your aircraft carrier with large surface area it will wear the debris and warhead.
Actually the missile is capable of different flight-paths, establishing different effective ranges. This pop-up is not a necessity and also not advisable under certain circumstances. The top-speed and cruise-speed are also varying, depending on flight-path and range to cover.

Anyway, I stick with Gf-0012s view. The use of clarity and details means not only pointing out some technical details of the aggressor, but also seeing the capabilities of the defender. Most fanboys cheering the Sunburn dont even start to take into account modern AAW capabilities, realistic response times (the famous "only 18 seconds to respond"-quote). Most platforms will actually have a hard time even launching that AShM at a target, should that be a CSG.

Personally I find newer toys like the 3M54 and even the older 3M45 (proper use assumed) much more interesting.

PS:

Yakhont/Oniks is not that modern. It goes actually back to the 1970s. SS-N-27 and its improvements can be considered more modern in terms of concept and technology.

contedicavour

Yakhont/Oniks is not that modern. It goes actually back to the 1970s. SS-N-27 and its improvements can be considered more modern in terms of concept and technology.
I'm surprised that the Russian Navy is thinking of embarking Yakhont/Oniks only now on type 20350 FFGs if the missile was developed in the '70s. If I understand correctly Russia's plans, it should replace SS-N-22, Uran, and of course the older Sandbox and Shipwreck SSMs on all new build ships.

cheers

turin

I'm surprised that the Russian Navy is thinking of embarking Yakhont/Oniks only now on type 20350 FFGs if the missile was developed in the '70s. If I understand correctly Russia's plans, it should replace SS-N-22, Uran, and of course the older Sandbox and Shipwreck SSMs on all new build ships.

cheers
I am not familiar with the designation "20350". Which frigate is that supposed to be? In the frigate range I know about older Projects 1166.1, being the "Gepard"-class and carrying the SS-N-25, and the cancelled "Neustrashimy", desig. 1154.0. The current project seems to be a "Krivak"-derivate, called "Dozorny" or 1135.6.In the corvette range there is the Steregushchy, desig. 2038.0, this craft can either carry SS-N-26 or SS-N-27.

Note also, that I did not say, the Oniks is completely useless, its simply a fact, that it goes way back into soviet R&D, as with pretty much everything Russia is "developing" now, and the SS-N-27-family is both a more modern and more versatile design. Maybe money is a reason, after all the Harpoon-line of AShM goes back quite some time as well and except for ugraded versions many western navies still do not replace it.

contedicavour

I am not familiar with the designation "20350". Which frigate is that supposed to be? In the frigate range I know about older Projects 1166.1, being the "Gepard"-class and carrying the SS-N-25, and the cancelled "Neustrashimy", desig. 1154.0. The current project seems to be a "Krivak"-derivate, called "Dozorny" or 1135.6.In the corvette range there is the Steregushchy, desig. 2038.0, this craft can either carry SS-N-26 or SS-N-27.

Note also, that I did not say, the Oniks is completely useless, its simply a fact, that it goes way back into soviet R&D, as with pretty much everything Russia is "developing" now, and the SS-N-27-family is both a more modern and more versatile design. Maybe money is a reason, after all the Harpoon-line of AShM goes back quite some time as well and except for ugraded versions many western navies still do not replace it.
Actually it's 22350 not 20350 (my mistake).
It's a much bigger ship than any you mention (Gepard / Neustrashimy / 20380)
The ship is supposed to be the mainstay of tomorrow's Russian surface navy, most probably replacing not only Krivak but also Sovremenny and Udaloy.

Here you go (from warfare.ru internet site) :

ADMIRAL GORSHKOV #190 Severnaya Pending BAL
Gorshkov I. Keel laid down on Feb 2, 2006. Estimated commission: 2009. Planned 19+

D.: 4500 (?) 8000 (?) tonns
Length: 132 (?) x 16 m
Armament: 8(?) ЗМ55 «Onyx» anti-ship missiles, a new 130-mm A-192, anti-submarine missile complex «Medvedka 2», medium range antiaircraft missile complex «Uragan» (?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Armament (crossreference):
SS-NX-26 Yakhont/Oniks P-800

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russian Ministry of Defense’s ships, sea armaments and defense technology purchases and delivery department signed a contract with the SV for the project 22350 head frigate construction.

Having signed this contract, the Navy started the second stage of its modernization program, according to which within the next few years they willl mainly order small ships for close and far sea zone, that is corvettes and frigates. The first ship to be constructed is project 22380 corvette «Steregushy» (the SV won the tender for this ship’s construction). The launching is planned for March of 2006. Besides, at the moment the SV is constructing three more ships for Russian Navy (two corvettes and one special intercommunication vessel). Two destroyers for Chinese Navy are already finished. One of them will be commissioned by the end of 2005, another – in first six months of 2006.

The project 22350 frigate is designed by Severnoe design office and purposed for anti-submarine and shock service. After a 15-year break it is the First Russian vessel for far sea zone. The frigate’s displacement is 4500 tons, its main weapon are eight ЗМ55 «Onyx» anti-ship missiles, a new 130-mm artillery plant A-192, anti-submarine missile complex «Medvedka 2», medium range antiaircraft missile complex «Uragan». The frigate will be laid down in 2006 and commissioned to the Navy in 2009.

According to the program, by 2015 the Navy need in project 22350 frigates is assessed in 10-20 ships. Military officials planned to start a tender for the lead ship construction still at the beginning of 2002. However, at that time the ship was not included to the state defense order. The main contenders for the frigate construction were plant «Yantar» in Kaliningrad, Baltiysky plant and the SV. The tender took place only in 2004-2005. The SV won it. By that time «Yantar» was already almost a bankrupt, so the only real contender for the SV was Baltiysky plant. The SV owners, United Industrial corporation (the UIC) turned to have more influence on officials than Baltiysky plant ones. The results of this very tender forced «IST» group to sell Baltiysky plant to the UIC, observers suppose.

Russia's Navy is set to acquire 10 to 20 new battleships by 2015 that will set it back 5 to 10 billion rubles per frigate, Biznes, a business daily, reported.

"This is, in fact, a large destroyer that is called a 'frigate' for political reasons," Mikhail Barabanov, scientific editor of Arms Exports magazine, said.

The new Mk 22350 multi-role and long-range frigate will conduct anti-submarine warfare (ASW) operations, hitting other naval targets. It will take three or four years to complete one frigate, if this project gets regular appropriations.

"Most likely, this project will feature engineering solutions that were used to build Mk 11356 frigates for the Indian Navy," Konstantin Makiyenko, deputy director of the Center for Analyzing Strategies and Technologies, said.

Viktor

cheers
First to make here some things clear.

1. Yakhont or SS-NX-26 entered operational service in 1999 and was not developt in 1970s that is just plaine stupid.

2. Sunburst missile does not exist!

3.Russia has two Alfa missiles witch entes some caos in classifying. First one is 3M54E P-10 Birjuza or SS-N-27 Alfa Novator by NATO clasification and the second one P-900 Alfa NPO Mashinostrojnia. To add further caos in understandment both missiles have aprox same weight/dimension and dimensions althrow they where produced by two diferent design office (Novator and NPO Mashinostrojnia former OKB-52 ).

4. Yakhont (as well as Brahmos) missile has stealth carateristic.

5. AEGIS has no means to protect itself because Russia naval doctrine calles for lounch salvo of thiese missiles (30-50 at least at CBG) and all have ability to comunicate betwen each other, all have capability to recive data from satelites, and all on the base of "agreement" after "deciding whitch missile will strike what individualy chose its finishing manouevre (each differes) all at 2.8M speed.

6. Russia keeps up with the capability of AEGIS radar and knows prety mutch about its capabilities.

7. USA has no missile that can perform even like older Sunburn so it can not practice its defensive weapons, thats why during SSSR fallout has tried more than once to accuire those missiles buy legal and ilegel means and has not succed.

A

Aussie Digger

1. Yakhont or SS-NX-26 entered operational service in 1999 and was not developt in 1970s that is just plaine stupid.

2. Sunburst missile does not exist!

3.Russia has two Alfa missiles witch entes some caos in classifying. First one is 3M54E P-10 Birjuza or SS-N-27 Alfa Novator by NATO clasification and the second one P-900 Alfa NPO Mashinostrojnia. To add further caos in understandment both missiles have aprox same weight/dimension and dimensions althrow they where produced by two diferent design office (Novator and NPO Mashinostrojnia former OKB-52 ).

5. AEGIS has no means to protect itself because Russia naval doctrine calles for lounch salvo of thiese missiles (30-50 at least at CBG) and all have ability to comunicate betwen each other, all have capability to recive data from satelites, and all on the base of "agreement" after "deciding whitch missile will strike what individualy chose its finishing manouevre (each differes) all at 2.8M speed.

6. Russia keeps up with the capability of AEGIS radar and knows prety mutch about its capabilities.

7. USA has no missile that can perform even like older Sunburn so it can not practice its defensive weapons, thats why during SSSR fallout has tried more than once to accuire those missiles buy legal and ilegel means and has not succed.
Been reading some brochures have we?

USN has been practicing against supersonic ASM's since the 60's. It is well versed in defending against same, even in "swarm" styled attacks. The Soviets came up with this tactic because THEY were well aware that their missiles were in-sufficiently capable of breaching the defences of a CBG. The USN is VERY aware of the potential for Swarm attacks against it's vessels.

It's why ESSM and RAM styled weapons were invented. To think the USN is not prepared or incapable of defending itself against such attacks, is not giving due credit to the most capable Navy on Earth.

Cheers.

turin

Why please is that? So it just popped into existence in 1999? Interesting way of creating weapon systems.
Its a missile from the soviet era as _everything_ Russia "developed" in recent years. By the way, the designation is SS-N-26, the X was only assigned throughout the development phase by NATO. This development phase was quite long because of lacking money and political interruptions, i.e. the end of the SU, as with _everything_ Russia is producing right now.

Tell me about what you consider "stealth characteristic". Every military flying object is being optimized in terms of RCS, based on ressources, know-how and requirements. Everything else is just a catchy marketing phrase.

Unlogical statement.
The point that you state yourself that a high number of these missiles has to be launched in order to get the mission accomplished, show very obviously that AAW-suites are able to deal with these missiles.
As I said before, speed depends on chosen flight-paths and range to cover (its called fuel-consumption), therefore you just cannot make such absolute statements as concerning speed.

The one thing has nothing to do with the other. First of all, its the obvious solution to get your hands on your enemies weapon systems, ALWAYS, because the real deal is better for threat evalutation than everything else, that you can make up yourself. Not because its necessarily better than what you have or can come up with, but simply because it IS what you are up against. Thats simply common sense.

Apart from that the US both posessed and employed the technology of supersonic AShM for _quite_some time. They dont employed them operationally because of something called doctrine, and in this doctrine the principal sea-to-sea killer was and still is the aircraft carrier. The SU was using a different doctrine and the result of this doctrine is a wide variety of AShMs, thats just it.

Viktor

Tell me about what you consider "stealth characteristic". Every military flying object is being optimized in terms of RCS, based on ressources, know-how and requirements. Everything else is just a catchy marketing phrase.
It is something about whitch I have read numerous times - I did not found what measures where applied for reducing RCS but RAM is most surely included. If you thing such is not the case that provide some links or logical explanation.

Unlogical statement.
The point that you state yourself that a high number of these missiles has to be launched in order to get the mission accomplished, show very obviously that AAW-suites are able to deal with these missiles.
As I said before, speed depends on chosen flight-paths and range to cover (its called fuel-consumption), therefore you just cannot make such absolute statements as concerning speed.

It is not unlogical, it goes like this, one ship one missiles, CBG swarm of missiles - those missiles are cheap in comparison with ships they are about to sink so there is no sence what so ever to be spary on them. Do not have any ilusions Yakhont can get throw US defences. Besides in comparison with Granit it is rather small and you need more of them to sink aircraft carrier.

Besides most of newer Russian antiship missiles fly supersonic along the whole path, thats why ram-jet is for.
Besides those missiles fly rather low (subronic Russian Kh-35M flys 3m above water line) shortening detection range.

The one thing has nothing to do with the other. First of all, its the obvious solution to get your hands on your enemies weapon systems, ALWAYS, because the real deal is better for threat evalutation than everything else, that you can make up yourself. Not because its necessarily better than what you have or can come up with, but simply because it IS what you are up against. Thats simply common sense.

This thing is highly conected. If you have target drone whitch can not perform manouevre or speed in a way Russian can than you can not know can you defences be successfull. It is true that US as well as Russia is trying to know performances of each other but to try to accuire some means (most probably) only wish to copy-paste so you can have same.
Besides it is widely known fact (all our military magazines reported it) that Russian Sunburn missile was constructed after Russian spys laid their hands on AEGIS specification.

Apart from that the US both posessed and employed the technology of supersonic AShM for _quite_some time. They dont employed them operationally because of something called doctrine, and in this doctrine the principal sea-to-sea killer was and still is the aircraft carrier. The SU was using a different doctrine and the result of this doctrine is a wide variety of AShMs, thats just it.
[/QUOTE]

If you think in such way than you know nothing.

Viktor

Been reading some brochures have we?

USN has been practicing against supersonic ASM's since the 60's. It is well versed in defending against same, even in "swarm" styled attacks. The Soviets came up with this tactic because THEY were well aware that their missiles were in-sufficiently capable of breaching the defences of a CBG. The USN is VERY aware of the potential for Swarm attacks against it's vessels.

It's why ESSM and RAM styled weapons were invented. To think the USN is not prepared or incapable of defending itself against such attacks, is not giving due credit to the most capable Navy on Earth.

Cheers.
US did not ahve even pictures of most of the soviet missiles and not to mention they did not know anything about theirs capabilities, so theirs practicing means nothing. Only after the fall of SU west had oportunity to peak and meat some of the missiles and theirs lethality.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
It is something about whitch I have read numerous times - I did not found what measures where applied for reducing RCS but RAM is most surely included. If you thing such is not the case that provide some links or logical explanation.
Logical explanation. It's a supersonic missile at sea level. It is glowing red hot from friction with the atmosphere. Actually it radiates so much that the Americans decided to add an IR seeker to the SM-2 Blk IIIA and call it SM-2 Blk IIIB. Any RAM coating will burn away pretty fast. No LO for the Sunburn I'm afraid, neither in RCS nor IR. It's the other way around: Everybody will know the missile is there.

Btw, considering wave spectra (and ground effect?), claiming a missile is flying at 3 m is obviously a brochure stat.

It is not unlogical, it goes like this, one ship one missiles, CBG swarm of missiles - those missiles are cheap in comparison with ships they are about to sink so there is no sence what so ever to be spary on them. Do not have any ilusions Yakhont can get throw US defences. Besides in comparison with Granit it is rather small and you need more of them to sink aircraft carrier.
No. Not one missile, one ship. You are attacking a CBG. The Sunburns will be shot down even before the radars on the Burkes sees them. They will be picked up by the E-2C/D's tasked with detecting LO cruise missiles.

Assuming :)D) that your delivery platforms get close enough, the missiles will be shot down tens of kilometres out. E-2C/D + CEC + F/A-18E/F + AIM-120C + SM-2 Blk IIIA/B + SM-6 + ESSM + Phalanx.

Besides most of newer Russian antiship missiles fly supersonic along the whole path, thats why ram-jet is for.
Besides those missiles fly rather low (subronic Russian Kh-35M flys 3m above water line) shortening detection range.
As you see, it doesn't matter how fast or how low the attacking cruise missiles fly or by what methodology they attack. And besides, 3 m is unrealistic. Sensors detecting the CM's are airborne, powerful, AESA, connected by AEGIS. Hundreds of airborne and shipborne long range AA missiles are available.

This thing is highly conected. If you have target drone whitch can not perform manouevre or speed in a way Russian can than you can not know can you defences be successfull. It is true that US as well as Russia is trying to know performances of each other but to try to accuire some means (most probably) only wish to copy-paste so you can have same.
Besides it is widely known fact (all our military magazines reported it) that Russian Sunburn missile was constructed after Russian spys laid their hands on AEGIS specification.

If you think in such way than you know nothing.
Yes, the Soviets got desperate. Sunburns are the missile equivalent of the Shkval.

Last edited:

Viktor

Anti-ship missile "Jakhont" ("Onyx")
Anti-ship cruise missile (ASCM) "Jakhont" is intended for struggle against surface naval groupings and the single ships in conditions of strong shooting and radio-electronic counteraction.

Works on creation of operational and tactical anti-ship complex of the fourth generation was made in NPO “Mashinostroenie” under direction of the general designer Efremov. Unlike previous Russian ASCM, having rather narrow "specialization" on the carriers, the new complex reflected as universal: it was supposed to be placed on submarines, the surface ships and boats, planes and coastal launchers. On a degree of "universality" it should surpass foreign "champion" in this area – american ASCM "Harpoon".

Distinctive features of the "Jakhont" missile are: over-horizon range of shooting; full autonomy of fighting application ("shot and forgotten"); a set of flexible trajectories ("low", "high-low"); high supersonic speeds on all stages of flight; full unification for the wide nomenclature of carriers (the surface ships of all basic classes, submarines and ground launchers); invisible for modern radar stations (technology "STEALTH").

Structure

The rocket "Jakhont" is executed under the normal aerodynamic scheme with a trapezoid collapsible wing and plumage. Aerodynamics of a glider in a combination with high power provides "Jakhont" a high maneuverability (the maximal corner of attack - up to 150 degrees), allowing a rocket to carry out effective maneuvers of evasion from anti-aircraft means of the opponent.

The Jakhont’s engine includes the mid-flight supersonic direct-flow propulsion jet engine (SDFPJE) with integrated starting solid-fuel accelerator. The SDFPJE is calculated for mid-flight flight with a speed of 2,0-3,5 M in a range of heights from 0 up to 20 000 meters. Draft of the engine - 4 000 kgs, dry weight - 200 kg. Air inlet SDFPJE – is frontal, symmetric, with the central cone.

After the launch of a missile from the starting container, the solid-fuel starting block (installed by a principle of "nested doll" in the chamber of combustion of the mid-flight engine) is started. Some seconds of its work disperse a rocket till the speed 2 M. Then solid-fuel starting block is switched off, it throws out from mid-flight by a stream of air, and "Jakhont" continues flight for the speed in 2,5 M, provided by the direct-flow liquid propulsion jet engine. The rocket is equipped by the combined system of prompting (an inertial trajectory on a mid-flight site and active radar-tracking - at the final stage of flight).

The flight task is formed by according an independent external radar source. The active radar-tracking head can grasp the surface target (“cruiser” class) on range up to 75 km. After initial capture of the target the missile switches off a radar station and carries out decrease on extremely small heights (near 5-7 meters). As a result on an average stage of flight is carried out under the bottom border of a zone of air defense. In the further, after exit ASCM on radiohorizon, radar-station switched on repeatedly, grasps and accompanies the target. On this rather short stage of flight supersonic speed of "Jakhont" complicates its defeat by means of air defence of small range, and also statement of handicapes to its active radar-tracking head.
Owing to small flight time and the big range of action of active radar-tracking head, ASCM "Jakhont" does not show rigid requirements to accuracy of the initial flight task.

The review of all zone of target position from the big height, creates conditions for preliminary assignment of rockets on the ships of group and selection of the false purposes. The main advantage of a rocket "Jakhont" – is the program of prompting on the target, allowing to operate against the single ship by a principle “one rocket - one ship” or "flight" against the group of the ships. In a volley tactical opportunities of a complex sharply increase. Rockets allocate and classify the importance of the targets, choose tactics of attack and the plan of its carrying out.

The independent control system are incorporated data on counteraction against radio-electronic counteraction of the opponent, and the receptions of evasion from fire of means of air defence. Having destroyed an overall objective in the ship group, the remained rockets attack other ships of the group. For exception of a mistake at a choice of maneuver and defeat of the set target, in the onboard computer of rockets are incorporated electronic portraits of all modern classes of the ships. Besides in the onboard computer there are also cleanly tactical data, for example, about type of the ships, allows to determine “who is it” (an escort, an aircraft carrier or landing group) and to attack the main objectives.

Preliminary decrease a high of flight provides failure of tracking ASCM by ship's complexes of air defence, that alongside with high supersonic speed and extremely small height of flight sharply reduces opportunities on interception ASCM "Jakhont" even by the most developed ship air-defence.

Characteristics

Range of flight, km:
- On the combined trajectory........................................ ..............300
- On low-high trajectory........................................ .....................120
Height of flight, m:
- On a mid-flight site of a trajectory.............................. ...14000-15000
- On low-high trajectories...................................... .....................10-15
- Near the target .................................................. .....................5-10
Speed of flight: ..............................................2.0М - 2.6М (750m/s)
Length of a rocket, mm (ship variant) ......................................8000
Length of a rocket, mm (aviation variant)..................................6100
Wingspan , mm .................................................. ......................1700
Starting weight , kg
-aviation variant........................................... .............................2500
-ship variant........................................... ..................................3000
Warhead
Type.....................................................Getting , High-Explosives
Weight, kg..................................................................200-250

The “Jakhont” rockets in an export make (a variant for underwater, surface and coastal basing), for the first time has been publicly shown at exhibition MAKC-97. It was exhibited and on MAKC-99.

Under forecasts of military analysts, ASCM “Jakhont” still the minimum 10 years will not have analogues in the world. Acknowledgement of this fact can be the interest stated by foreign buyers. A number of the countries of Asian-Pacific region, the Near East has already become interested in the past bought the Russian ships and boats with cruise missiles in a novelty of the Russian military-industrial complex. Good prospects at ASCM “Jakhont” is a way of modernization of the ships of foreign construction where it can replace anti-ship complexes "Harpoon", "Exocet", "Otomat".
Based on the MAKC-99 review (1999).

Status
Not open for further replies.