Su-30MK2 for Uganda

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fretbrurner posted on this thread that Uganda has decided against buying the Su-30MK2

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/air-force-aviation/su-30mk2-uganda-10182/#post194217

Instead they are upgrading their existing fleet of fishbeds
Don't you love it when people post without reading the thread? :)

More interesting is what kind of upgrade those Fishbeds get, and what munitions will be purchased with them. Uganda's main need it CAS for COIN and local conflicts. Air policing is also useful. I seriously doubt that there will be notable air to air combat in Uganda's future. So the decision to upgrade an interceptor is interesting. I suspect the constraints are financial.

Kasy

well the planes are now here... it has been confirmed.....considering the geo security situatiion in the great lakes region this is a necessary security purchase...

The SU 30MK2 have been paid for... confirmed by government. Purchase is complete....;)

[Mod Edit: Don't try to do in 2 posts, what you can do in one.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Kasy

Done deal

well the planes are now here... it has been confirmed.....considering the geo security situatiion in the great lakes region this is a necessary security purchase... check out latest news from Uganda....;)

Of course no delivery dates yet... thats classified, but the Ugandan parliament is debating the classified Jet payment.....

Deal was signed April 2010. Payment already made .......

[Mod Edit: Don't try to do in 3 posts, what you can do in one.]

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are the planes delivered or not? Your first point seems to imply yes, your second says no. Also has the deal been signed, or is it still under consideration? Your second post seems to imply the latter. Finally I'm still waiting on a valid source.

Kasy

Su 30 confirmation

sundayvision.co.ug

TRY THIS LINK....;)

observer.ug

Additional link....

[Mod Edit: Don't try to do in 3 posts, what you can do in one. Learn to provide reliable sources and also do not try to inflate your post count by creating multiple posts that say little or nothing.]

Haavarla

Allright , enough allready..
Kasy, if you check with www.SukHoi.org, you'll find zippo about any Su-30MK2 export to Uganda.

Always stick with the official stuff if you are in doubt.

Last edited:

japs

Are the planes delivered or not? Your first point seems to imply yes, your second says no. Also has the deal been signed, or is it still under consideration? Your second post seems to imply the latter. Finally I'm still waiting on a valid source.

Not yet delivered, but according to Uganda's daily paper....The New Vision (9 Apr 2011), a partial payment of $446m has been made. However, the fish beds are rotting in the hungers and most of the pilots have deserted due to poor pay. I wonder how they will maintain the complicated SU30s and their pilots??
.........Google: Fighter jets to protect oil - Government.........

Kasy

This is it!

I think ave just seen this bird in Entebbe Uganda.... appears its a test flight. Oh my! its a real top notch....

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you can take a picture that would be great.

EDIT: It appears that two Su-30MK2 have been delivered, out of 6. The contract includes munitions, a simulator and other training equipment, and training for Ugandan pilots and ground crew.

EDIT2: It seems I've found some photos: http://i-korotchenko.livejournal.com/242539.html

Last edited:

Haavarla

Nice catch Feanor.
two Q:
Is the Su-30MK2 nose gear lowered for the sake of transport in this An-124?
It looks very forward tilted..

When those An-124 was designed, was one of the requirements to be able to transport Flankers?
It looks like a close fit inside the cargo bay.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know the answer to either one sadly. It does make me wonder though, Su-30MK2s? For Uganda? Really? Makes mind-boggingly little sense. Even a batch of new Yak-130s would have been heaps more useful. They could've gotten twice as many, spares and maintenance would've been much easier, and it's not like they have major hostile airforces to deal with. Their main concern is COIN.

NICO

If you can take a picture that would be great.

EDIT: It appears that two Su-30MK2 have been delivered, out of 6. The contract includes munitions, a simulator and other training equipment, and training for Ugandan pilots and ground crew.

EDIT2: It seems I've found some photos: Военный дневник Ð˜Ð³Ð¾Ñ€Ñ ÐšÐ¾Ñ€Ð¾Ñ‚Ñ‡ÐµÐ½ÐºÐ¾ - ДоÑтавка иÑтребителей заказчику
Are these new builds? From the pictures, it appears to be new not some used or rebuilt fighter. Well, maybe just the paint is fresh.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the pictures!

NICO

why is everyone saying this is overkill?
Kenya Military Strengths and Weaknesses « Strategic Intelligence News

I put ZERO validity in this article until I find more info but the author says Kenya was/is in talks to buy up to 35 F15s. Considering that they fly old F5s now and generally most African nations are not exactly re-known for top notch maintenance, I have a hard time believing USAF will donate prized F15 airframes to Kenya.

Is an Arms Race Underway in the East and Horn of Africa? | Suite101.com

In this last article, I think you can see that SU30s with all their capability aren't needed and in fact weakens Uganda since they are using money on something not required which could be used somewhere else more appropriate.

allAfrica.com: Uganda: Nation Does Not Need the Sophisticated Russian Jets

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are these new builds? From the pictures, it appears to be new not some used or rebuilt fighter. Well, maybe just the paint is fresh.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the pictures!
They're new. There aren't any old Su-30MK2s because they're entirely a post-Soviet development produced exclusively for export. To date Russia has only inducted 4 Su-30M2, and even those are to serve as trainers for Su-35S, rather then as a main type of combat aircraft.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
why is everyone saying this is overkill?
Because these are expensive heavy multirole fighters whose advantages include decent BVR capability, long range, and large payload. The threats Uganda faces generally stem from insurgencies, or other sub-par African militaries, which do not warrant such resources.

That having been said there is another problem: these are sophisticated and modern aircraft that require up to date regular maintenance, and experienced pilots, something Uganda may not be able to afford. Granted Sukhoi's post-sale support has improved, but I still doubt these birds will all be flying 10 years from now.