Status of RAAF STOL transport

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
O the election is near.

some highlights of an interview with The Australian By Dr Brendon Nelson

He said he would also look at increasing the Chinook helicopter fleet as well as the other airlift support, including more C-130 J Hercules transports, should the Government be returned at the next election.

Ideally, Defence would like to double the size of the Chinook fleet to 12 in order to maintain a full rotation of the heavy-lift helicopters in theatres such as Afghanistan.

Dr Nelson said a replacement for the RAAF's aged Caribou fleet was also in the offing, and confirmed a formal tender evaluation would be conducted in a contract that could be worth up to $1 billion

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21710738-31477,00.html

Guess we get the best of both worlds, new Chinooks to increase current range, as well as the C27J most likely, its a win win cash bonanza for The Liberals if they get back in, wonder if Fitzy will offer the same perhaps better? or return Labour to the glory days of the Collins and 2nd Hand LPA Purchases
A billiond dollars, how many C27Js could we get for that price, with through support most likely.

rjmaz1

Interesting how the C-27J never got a mention.

Sounds to me like they may get more C-130J's and Chinook's and may not even get C-27J's.

If the Caribou's mission isn't required anymore then they will select the C-130J as the Caribou replacement.

Same thing applied with the F-111's its mission wasn't crucial anymore and its replacement has completely different performance and range.

Does anyone even have a recent article that suggests the C-27J will be purchased?

All i can find is 10 year old articles suggesting that they have shortlisted some aircraft.

ELP

Gonna miss the `bou,s. My first experience with them was jumping from them at Saltash,then watching them land on the DZ! getting back in and doing it again. I have never seen a more versitile aircraft for Australian conditions,and i hope its replacements will have nearly as good rough field perfomance. i have been part of 30 odd diggers pushing one out of a muddy patch on a drop zone,and then watched in awe as it took of for a very short run....they are/were incredible. the toyota troopy of the air!!
This is probably one of the most important statements here. These are the people that need to make the decision on what kind of small cargo aircraft can do the job to support them. Keeping a few 'Bou's, putting in a new engine and glass cockpit ( NVG compatable ) might be a good thing to keep around for the spec ops troops. And... still get some C-27s. As mentioned the weight on the C-27 means it ain't no 'Bou, and vice-versa for what the C-27 can do.

I am slightly concerned over the C-27 powerplant if ever it ended up being used in continuous near-dirt field conditions for an operation. The engines don't like some of the fine dust in some parts of the world. With that powerplant super fine dust can get up to melting temp and leave residue in the engine meaning more engine changes. I am sure someone figured that out hopefully. I have seen legacy C-130s a few times en-mass in near dirt ops and it is something to be concerned with these newer powerplants ( C-130J, C-27 ) one big dust bowl.

A

Aussie Digger

This is probably one of the most important statements here. These are the people that need to make the decision on what kind of small cargo aircraft can do the job to support them. Keeping a few 'Bou's, putting in a new engine and glass cockpit ( NVG compatable ) might be a good thing to keep around for the spec ops troops. And... still get some C-27s. As mentioned the weight on the C-27 means it ain't no 'Bou, and vice-versa for what the C-27 can do.

I am slightly concerned over the C-27 powerplant if ever it ended up being used in continuous near-dirt field conditions for an operation. The engines don't like some of the fine dust in some parts of the world. With that powerplant super fine dust can get up to melting temp and leave residue in the engine meaning more engine changes. I am sure someone figured that out hopefully. I have seen legacy C-130s a few times en-mass in near dirt ops and it is something to be concerned with these newer powerplants ( C-130J, C-27 ) one big dust bowl.
RAAF found it was uneconomical to upgrade the engines on the entire FLEET of Bou's (much to the disgust of local Defence Industry I believe ;)).

Doing it on a couple is hardly going to better this...

Why on Earth would specwarries want a Bou? Can they carry the flash new air droppable RHIB's the Specwarries are getting (and the 2nd RAAF C-17 will be delivering) or the new Specwarries vehicle (Supacat HMT fitted with CROWS RWS)? Does the Bou have ANY EWSP whatsover, not to mention a FLIR, Nav/Weather radar, ballistic armour, self-sealing fuel tanks or any of the other goodies specwarries want?

Start adding all these capabilities and the Bou won't be taking off short runways much longer, no matter how little may be in the back of them and there ain't much at the best of times... :D

RAAF have been operating C-130J's in Iraq and Afghanistan for 5 or so years now. I have not read of any significant problems with them visa vie the dust, and we have some pretty fine dust in Australia too. Nice and red as well and they seem to manage it okay... :)

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Interesting how the C-27J never got a mention.

Sounds to me like they may get more C-130J's and Chinook's and may not even get C-27J's.

If the Caribou's mission isn't required anymore then they will select the C-130J as the Caribou replacement.

Same thing applied with the F-111's its mission wasn't crucial anymore and its replacement has completely different performance and range.

Does anyone even have a recent article that suggests the C-27J will be purchased?

All i can find is 10 year old articles suggesting that they have shortlisted some aircraft.
Considering the formal request for tenders is to be issued shortly (admittedly for a 2nd time) I doubt that Defmin is likley to mention any particualr platform at this time. Probably wise not to assume too much at this time.