Status of Ethiopian army - conflict in Somalia

contedicavour

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ethiopian troops began pulling out from Somalia about a month ago. The initial plan was to pull out a third of their troops then gradually pull out competely and replaced by AU peacekeeping troops. Its very costly to maitain the approximately 10,000 Ethiopian troops present in Somalia who are very unpopular with the locals. The international community should help strengthen the central govt. and in return the govt. of Somalia would be expected to govern in a transparent manner. The reason the ICU came to power was because the because the locals didn't have any confidence in the govt. who was corrupted.
Yep I agree. The international community is putting pressure on the TNG to act in a consensual way by trying to coopt the moderate elements of the former ICU. Some African states are starting to commit to troops.
My fear is that guerrilla (especially the urban version) will force the AU troops to ask European or US help and that we might end up like in 1991.
That's why I believe it is the moment to strengthen government troops (even if they include a bunch of former warlords) with some heavy equipment so that guerrillas don't feel emboldened.

cheers

adulis

Stabilising Somalia will be a very difficult task. For the last 16 years, Somalia existed, for the most part, only in names. Millions of present day youth have grown in an environment of constant fighting, with out learing how to read and write. It is difficult to overcome a kalashinkov culture. The second problem is, having sufficient troops from African countries and the necessary funds from Western countries, to cover the peace keeping expenses.
I have one thing which surprises me a lot, about rich muslim arab countries. When some one is trying to solve problems in a musulim country, they are the first one to oppose, but we never see them solve problems or come to the aid of a muslim country that is in trouble.

contedicavour

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stabilising Somalia will be a very difficult task. For the last 16 years, Somalia existed, for the most part, only in names. Millions of present day youth have grown in an environment of constant fighting, with out learing how to read and write. It is difficult to overcome a kalashinkov culture. The second problem is, having sufficient troops from African countries and the necessary funds from Western countries, to cover the peace keeping expenses.
I have one thing which surprises me a lot, about rich muslim arab countries. When some one is trying to solve problems in a musulim country, they are the first one to oppose, but we never see them solve problems or come to the aid of a muslim country that is in trouble.
It's true that I would have expected more from countries such as Egypt, with powerful armed forces. At least a couple of mechanized regiments would be very welcome to calm down any wannabe guerrilla...
On the financial side though I suspect some Persian Gulf countries are helping out the transitional government, at least to make sure the whole place doesn't turn into terrorist staging ground from which attacks on the Arabian peninsula could be run.

cheers

Sgt.Banes

Ethiopia, will more than likely be deployed again into Somalia to probably flush as much of the UIC as possible. But they may need some military funding to be engaged in a extended conflict in the country.

merocaine

In the future I will devote 100% of my efforts to locking such monsters up in jail for a long, long time. Instead of talking about it in Internet forums.

Again, my sincere apologies.
No, no, Please except my apologies I foolishly misconstrued your concern for children as another pointless ditrabe about Arabs in general. Obviously defamery/slander was not your intention.