South Korea launches Amphibious Tank XK2

blue_shark

Yes, mate. WIA produces it under license from Rheinmetall. Build in Korea, designed in Germany.
oh, I missed your this comments. What makes you say that? any contract reports or something? LOL

man, 680+ gun license contract is huge one. It must be official commnets about this somewere right??

and I ask you again do you believe our K9 SPH are using Rheinmetall's 155/52 gun? :rolleyes:

blue_shark

Do you know what "built under license" means?
LOL, you think I"m idiot? :eek:nfloorl:

please provide me any "license contract" report or anything official :D

as I said earlier, 680+ license gun contract is very big one. Rheinmetall shoud have announced it in their website or somewhere!!!

please enlighten me

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I don't buy you. ADD officially announced XK2 is using indigenous 120/55 gun. and I saw some pics of testing indigenous 120/55 gun.

It's not German designed. We also had indigenous 155/52 gun for K9 SPH and WIA produce it, too!
You are totally amusing me now.
You are basing every thing on what the ROK news and from magazine articles. Sorry blue shark but your new tank has a German designed gun, power pack, French designed night sights, American armor protection, and still not decided on which way you will swing towards counter measures, but I`ll bet that it is not totally Russian Arena. South Korea has made the attempt to take the best of every thing that is currently available on modern MBTs and throw into one package. It is South korea`s tank, but there is alot of outside technology that you will be using and there is nothing wrong with that. And your K9 thunder 155 gun is not your design either, just the muzzle brake.

blue_shark

You are totally amusing me now.
You are basing every thing on what the ROK news and from magazine articles. Sorry blue shark but your new tank has a German designed gun, power pack, French designed night sights, American armor protection, and still not decided on which way you will swing towards counter measures, but I`ll bet that it is not totally Russian Arena. South Korea has made the attempt to take the best of every thing that is currently available on modern MBTs and throw into one package. It is South korea`s tank, but there is alot of outside technology that you will be using and there is nothing wrong with that. And your K9 thunder 155 gun is not your design either, just the muzzle brake.
ah, not again. German designed gun? what made you think like that? got any proof?

French designed sights? which sights?

American armor protection? why the heck do you think THE Americans wanted to sell their latest armor technology to us? It's like Americans sell us their F-22 Raptors. LOL

Ah, The Westerners always look down Asians or specifically Koreans. :eek:nfloorl:

PS. we developed XK2 for export market and we had lesson when we tried to exprot K1A1. K1 and K1A1 has some American technologies so we had to have approval from US government when we wanted to export them. It mean XK2 had been developed 100% American technology free for export market.

engines too, we had hard time when we tried to export our K9 SPH to Turkey. Germany refused to export engines for K-9T(T-155 Firtina) at first. so we threaten them we could redesign K9 for our Army and Turkish Army and will use English engines for them. eventually they approved exporting MTU engines for K-9T(T-155 Firtina). we learned lessons from this and now we are developing our own 1500hp engines etc. for XK2.

we are trying to export(license) XK2 to Turkey. It means the engine trouble will occur again if we use MTU engine for XK2...

and there was only "engine" trouble with German government when we tried to export K-9T to Turkey not 155/52 gun!!! It tells something important to some of this forum members....

Last edited:

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
you did what? LOL. you said wrong infos about XK2 not based on truth in tank-net.org.
There is nothing that I have stated that is wrong, you are listening to way to much propaganda, and the thing of it is would be that your tank is still under the experimental stage and you seem to think you have the inside scoop which a ROK civilian would not have access to, your access is from the manufacturer trying to tell all South Korean civilians that it is the greatest so that it will get funded. makes you wonder why they pushed the date out to 2011. And frankly for the majority of people surfing Tank net, I do not place much stock in what they say either, after serving way too many years in the military on nothing but tanks and working with ROK forces and a few other countries I know the majority of it is nothing but Rubbish.

blue_shark

There is nothing that I have stated that is wrong, you are listening to way to much propaganda, and the thing of it is would be that your tank is still under the experimental stage and you seem to think you have the inside scoop which a ROK civilian would not have access to, your access is from the manufacturer trying to tell all South Korean civilians that it is the greatest so that it will get funded. makes you wonder why they pushed the date out to 2011. And frankly for the majority of people surfing Tank net, I do not place much stock in what they say either, after serving way too many years in the military on nothing but tanks and working with ROK forces and a few other countries I know the majority of it is nothing but Rubbish.

Yeah, Rubbish like your comments earlier "And your K9 thunder 155 gun is not your design either, just the muzzle brake."

It's insult to those devoted their life to develop indigenous 155/52 gun in ADD...

and you worked with RoK Forces?

In your point, all missiles in many countries is not their own design it's German desgin, the V2 I think....

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
ah, not again. German designed gun? what made you think like that? got any proof?

French designed sights? which sights?

American armor protection? why the heck do you think THE Americans wanted to sell their latest armor technology to us? It's like Americans sell us their F-22 Raptors. LOL

Ah, The Westerners always look down Asians :eek:nfloorl:

PS. we developed XK2 for export market and we had lesson when we tried to exprot K1A1. K1 and K1A1 has some American technology so we had to have approval from US when we wanted to export them. It mean XK2 had been developed 100% American technology free for export market.

engines too, we had hard time when we tried to export our K9 SPH to Turkey. Germany refused to export engines for K-9T(T-155 Firtina) at first. so we threaten them we could redesign K9 for our Army and Turkish Army and will use English engines for them. eventually they approved exporting MTU engines for K-9T(T-155 Firtina). we learned lessons from this and now we are developing our own 1500hp enginse etc. for XK2.

we are trying to export(license) XK2 to Turkey. It means the engine trouble will occur again if we use MTU engine for XK2...

and there was only "engine" trouble with German government when we tried to export K-9T to Turkey not 155/52 gun!!! It tells something important to some of this forum members....
Now I see the problem, you have a complex thinking that I look down on Asians:eek:nfloorl: My Korean family will get a kick out of that.

I never stated that the K-9 thunder has a German designed gun.

Gunners sight dates back to French technology.
Tank Commanders independant sight dates to German technology
Auto tracking device dates to the French technology
Engine power pack dates to German technology
Auto loader dates to French technology
Armor protection dates to American technology and no it isn`t the latest generation.
Main gun dates to German technology

The issue with the German power pack is not that big of a issue with your government that is just part of the business world, and I betcha that Turkey doesn`t buy your tank, they can can pick up how many LEO2A4`s for 8 million dollars?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yeah, Rubbish like your comments earlier "And your K9 thunder 155 gun is not your design either, just the muzzle brake."

It's insult to those devoted their life to develop indigenous 155/52 gun in ADD...

and you worked with RoK Forces?

In your point, all missiles in many countries is not their own design it's German desgin, the V2 I think....
No one is trying to insult you or South Korea.
Yes - I have worked with ROK forces, I have lived a total of over nine years in ROK while being in the U.S military.
You and I have discussed this topic before along with your super Sabot tank round made out of Tungsten;)
Have a nice day Blue Shark:)

blue_shark

Now I see the problem, you have a complex thinking that I look down on Asians:eek:nfloorl: My Korean family will get a kick out of that.

=> I felt like that from what you've said about XK2 tank :rolleyes:

=> you are a liar. let's see what you said before.

"You are totally amusing me now.
You are basing every thing on what the ROK news and from magazine articles. Sorry blue shark but your new tank has a German designed gun, power pack, French designed night sights, American armor protection, and still not decided on which way you will swing towards counter measures, but I`ll bet that it is not totally Russian Arena. South Korea has made the attempt to take the best of every thing that is currently available on modern MBTs and throw into one package. It is South korea`s tank, but there is alot of outside technology that you will be using and there is nothing wrong with that. And your K9 thunder 155 gun is not your design either, just the muzzle brake."

=> K1's early batch used Gunner's Primary Sight of Hughes Aircraft Company and later Gunner's Primary Tank Thermal Sight of Texas Instrument.

and K1A1 are using indigenous thermal imaging sensor for GPS. this thermal imaging sensor was developed by ADD and Samsung Aerospace(now Samsung Techwin). This is using focal-plane array, 2nd generation thermal imaging sensor.

pic of KGPS for K1A1

and for XK2, ADD developed far infrared ray, 2nd generation thermal imaging seonsor on September, 2003.

=> K1 is using French SFIM Commander's Panoramic Sight. this CPS does not have thermal imaging sensor. so As I said above, ADD and Samsung Aerospace developed thermal imaging seonor for K1A1 CPS.

pic of KCPS

and XK2's KCPS is using newly developed far infrared ray, 2nd generation thermal imaging sensor.

=> honestly, I never heard any info about this. nobody said it's French technology or not. but I think ADD developed this technology too.

=> XK2 PV "now" has German powerpack but mass production version will have indigenous engine and transmission. Doosan Infracore developing 1500hp engine for XK2 and S&T Dynamics for transmission.

=> XK2's autoloader are similiar to French but we never got any technology transfer from French. similiar mechanism do not means same technology. we didn't license it so you can't tell it's same technology.

Armor protection dates to American technology and no it isn`t the latest generation.

=> early batch of K1 tanks used spaced armor and later we imported composite armor from US but Hyundai Precision Machine(now Rotem) developed own composite armor and used it for K1 tanks.

K1A1 are using Rotem's composite armor.

XK2 are using 3rd generation Chobham armor. haven't heard much about this armor. somebody said it's imported and others not. but one thing is clear, It's not related with US armor technology.

=> again, we didn't get any technolgy transfer from German when we were developing 120/55 gun. It's indigenous like K9 SPH's 155/52 gun. and first firing test of this gun conducted on April, 2001.

The issue with the German power pack is not that big of a issue with your government that is just part of the business world, and I betcha that Turkey doesn`t buy your tank, they can can pick up how many LEO2A4`s for 8 million dollars?

=> but the German power pack issue was big deal when we were tried to export K9 SPH to Turkey. It was political issue related Kurds in Turkey not business issue

trying to export XK2 to Turkey, we have been briefed to Turkish Army high rank officials about XK2 tank development throughout years in ADD. and there's chance Turkish Army choose XK2 for their next generation tank. the price may go down when mass production starts and if we get export orders from Turkey.

Last edited:

Stimpy75

hi blue shark,nice to see you here:D
just read in a turkish defence magazine,that currently some South Korean officials are visting Turkey and there are talks including the licenced production of your beautifull XK-2 tank in Turkey,fist 250 would be build using some important items,but this should be raised to 100 % to the later batches,but i point out,these are just preliminary talks,no official contract for now,but i believe we are very interested in the developement,as you had pointed....the chances of the french proposal of their leclerc is very limited:nutkick
just to point it,the first auto tracking system dates back to the Israeli

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
hi blue shark,nice to see you here:D
just read in a turkish defence magazine,that currently some South Korean officials are visting Turkey and there are talks including the licenced production of your beautifull XK-2 tank in Turkey,fist 250 would be build using some important items,but this should be raised to 100 % to the later batches,but i point out,these are just preliminary talks,no official contract for now,but i believe we are very interested in the developement,as you had pointed....the chances of the french proposal of their leclerc is very limited:nutkick
just to point it,the first auto tracking system dates back to the Israeli
Turkey is going to buy XK-2, that will not happen.
Auto tracking on XK-2 is not Israeli designed.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

=> I felt like that from what you've said about XK2 tank :rolleyes:

=> you are a liar. let's see what you said before.

"You are totally amusing me now.
You are basing every thing on what the ROK news and from magazine articles. Sorry blue shark but your new tank has a German designed gun, power pack, French designed night sights, American armor protection, and still not decided on which way you will swing towards counter measures, but I`ll bet that it is not totally Russian Arena. South Korea has made the attempt to take the best of every thing that is currently available on modern MBTs and throw into one package. It is South korea`s tank, but there is alot of outside technology that you will be using and there is nothing wrong with that. And your K9 thunder 155 gun is not your design either, just the muzzle brake."

=> K1's early batch used Gunner's Primary Sight of Hughes Aircraft Company and later Gunner's Primary Tank Thermal Sight of Texas Instrument.

and K1A1 are using indigenous thermal imaging sensor for GPS. this thermal imaging sensor was developed by ADD and Samsung Aerospace(now Samsung Techwin). This is using focal-plane array, 2nd generation thermal imaging sensor.

pic of KGPS for K1A1

and for XK2, ADD developed far infrared ray, 2nd generation thermal imaging seonsor on September, 2003.

=> K1 is using French SFIM Commander's Panoramic Sight. this CPS does not have thermal imaging sensor. so As I said above, ADD and Samsung Aerospace developed thermal imaging seonor for K1A1 CPS.

pic of KCPS

and XK2's KCPS is using newly developed far infrared ray, 2nd generation thermal imaging sensor.

=> honestly, I never heard any info about this. nobody said it's French technology or not. but I think ADD developed this technology too.

=> XK2 PV "now" has German powerpack but mass production version will have indigenous engine and transmission. Doosan Infracore developing 1500hp engine for XK2 and S&T Dynamics for transmission.

=> XK2's autoloader are similiar to French but we never got any technology transfer from French. similiar mechanism do not means same technology. we didn't license it so you can't tell it's same technology.

=> early batch of K1 tanks used spaced armor and later we imported composite armor from US but Hyundai Precision Machine(now Rotem) developed own composite armor and used it for K1 tanks.

K1A1 are using Rotem's composite armor.

XK2 are using 3rd generation Chobham armor. haven't heard much about this armor. somebody said it's imported and others not. but one thing is clear, It's not related with US armor technology.

=> again, we didn't get any technolgy transfer from German when we were developing 120/55 gun. It's indigenous like K9 SPH's 155/52 gun. and first firing test of this gun conducted on April, 2001.

=> but the German power pack issue was big deal when we were tried to export K9 SPH to Turkey. It was political issue related Kurds in Turkey not business issue

trying to export XK2 to Turkey, we have been briefed to Turkish Army high rank officials about XK2 tank development throughout years in ADD. and there's chance Turkish Army choose XK2 for their next generation tank. the price may go down when mass production starts and if we get export orders from Turkey.
Now I am a liar?

You have not convinced me nor are you getting my point in regards to technology.
Have a nice day Blue Shark.

blue_shark

Now I am a liar?

You have not convinced me nor are you getting my point in regards to technology.
Have a nice day Blue Shark.
Are you trying to say you didn't say "And your K9 thunder 155 gun is not your design either, just the muzzle brake." ????

I think you are avoiding the facts that I gave you above concerning CPS, GPS etc. :smoker

and I give you indigenous 120/55 gun testing pic.

this pic was taken from PDP TV screen which were playing XK2 video provided by ADD or Agency for Defense Development.

Stimpy75

Turkey is going to buy XK-2, that will not happen.
Auto tracking on XK-2 is not Israeli designed.
oops i thought you meant the first ever auto tracking system,not that of the
XK-2,my fault!:rolleyes:
but,plz explain me,why Turkey will not get the XK-2,just an explanation plz!
ok,it´s not cheap,i know that,as blue shark has pointed,the price will fall when more units are purchased/built,but do you think,that South Korea will make any problems regarding the terms of technology transfer?K9/Firtina, is simply said a turkish version of the K9 with some differences(fire control system) with little more than 70% locally made parts,the same can/should be applied to the XK-2,so plz explain me your comment,i´m very interessted in it:unknown :D

blue_shark

oops i thought you meant the first ever auto tracking system,not that of the
XK-2,my fault!:rolleyes:
but,plz explain me,why Turkey will not get the XK-2,just an explanation plz!
ok,it´s not cheap,i know that,as blue shark has pointed,the price will fall when more units are purchased/built,but do you think,that South Korea will make any problems regarding the terms of technology transfer?K9/Firtina, is simply said a turkish version of the K9 with some differences(fire control system) with little more than 70% locally made parts,the same can/should be applied to the XK-2,so plz explain me your comment,i´m very interessted in it:unknown :D
you can say that again buddy :dance

TrangleC

I thought the Turks are determined to get a indigenous tank project and industry running themselves now. I even heard rumors about an prototype existing already and there have been pictures of the supposed design of the new turkish tank around here.