South Korea launches Amphibious Tank XK2

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Jup, it is more frequent but is also still moderate. When I talked to A6 crews they said that it doesn't affect live fire exercises and even during extensive bigger exercises (With high combat load) combat effectiveness is not affected by it. :)

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Jup, it is more frequent but is also still moderate. When I talked to A6 crews they said that it doesn't affect live fire exercises and even during extensive bigger exercises (With high combat load) combat effectiveness is not affected by it. :)
thank you.:)

performance

Another factor telling against the sale of either South Korean or Japanese designed tanks to other nations is that they are designed with the smaller-statue Asian soldier in mind. This makes it nearly impossible for the average European to work in them. The Taiwanese fighter, the Chung-Kao (I think that is it's name) cockpit is the same.
Actually the avg height of males in S.K. is 5 ft 8.6 inchs. About 1.5 inches shorter than over here.

The avg height of Japanese males is 5ft 5.2 inches. A hell of a lot shorter. I'm not sure if you know this but Japanese are the shortest of the Asians. Samurai's historically had an average height of 5ft. The reason why jiu jitsu and judo were created was to help the Japanese win battles against Koreans who were much larger than them.

f-22fan12

The Xk2 is without a doubt the world's best tank when it enters service. I have read over many articles about the Xk2. It is simply amazing. The L55 cannon with higher muzzel velocity, the superfast auto-loader, the ACTIVE defensive system against incoming artillery and missiles, the "amphibious" capabilitiy, smart munitions, and great armor make this tank simply unbeatable. The only drawback is its price, yet the South Koreans are rich enough to afford it.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The Xk2 is without a doubt the world's best tank when it enters service. I have read over many articles about the Xk2. It is simply amazing. The L55 cannon with higher muzzel velocity, the superfast auto-loader, the ACTIVE defensive system against incoming artillery and missiles, the "amphibious" capabilitiy, smart munitions, and great armor make this tank simply unbeatable. The only drawback is its price, yet the South Koreans are rich enough to afford it.
I do not think that it is the best in the world, it is a very good tank but not the best, please explain what makes it the best over all other models that are out there.

f-22fan12

I do think it is the best for the following reasons. What other tanks can go as deep underwater as the Xk2? And there are not more than a few tanks armed with the L-55 gun. (leopard 2 A6, and the Xk2) The L-55 is the best tank gun around for two reasons. 1. It is made by an established German company and 2. It has a long barrel for higher velocity of the round which achieves greater penetration, and it also has great accuracy. The Xk2 is also the only tank around in which the Active defensive system will actually work well. Compare it to the Abrams. The offensive capability is better due to the longer and better main gun. The mobility is better thanks to the ability to go deep underwater. The Xk2 is also quite fast. And the armor is as good as or better than the armor on any modern western tank. And as far as I know the Abrams and the Challenger 2 do not have active defensive systems. Most western tanks only have smoke grenades. The fire control system is also equal or better. The auto-loader allows the Xk2 to fire many rounds in a short amount of time. And with future upgrades like the addition of smart munitions, the Xk2 will be unbeatable. If the Xk2 is not the best tank in the world, then what do you think is? As far as the crews, I don't know. Americans it an abrams might destroy and Xk2 thanks to better training.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Leopard is able of deep forging as well as every T from T-55 onwards.
The USMC also has ddep forging kits for their M1A1s.

The german L/55 gun is also going to be used in the Challenger 2 and the US M829A3 round defenitely doesn't need to hide behind conventional KEs. And we don't even know if the Korean KE comes close to German DM53/63 or US KEW-2.

There are several active and passive protection systems available. Arena and Shtora for russian tanks. MUSS (passive system) from Rheinmetall as well as the new Diehl system (close to being ready), Trophy on Israeli vehicles,....
The self developed korean active protection system is not ready so by the time it is ready there will be even more other systems available.

Precise armor strength estimates are not available but M1A2SEP, Leopard 2A6EX, Merkava Mrk.IV, etc. all defenitely don't have a weak armor.

And how much more precision than a modern Leo, Abrams or Leclerc do you want?

We had a long discussion about the "smart"-ammo.

I don't want to make a bad tank out of the XK2 but it is, as Eckherl already said, not going to be the "ueber"tank some people want it to be.

f-22fan12

By the way, could you explain more about the active protection systems from israel. I would like to know more about them, really.
Thanks.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
It is the other way around. You stated that the XK2 is going to be the big bad bastard of all tanks.
YOU have to show were it exceeds other tank designs that much that it is unbeteable in your words.

It defenitely has some nice features and it looks like it is going to be a great machine but it is not going to revolutionize the tank family.
There are tanks out there with equal electronics, mobility, engines, firepower, APS, protection, etc...

The Israeli system is named Trophy (developed by a consortium of Rafael, IMI and IAI/ELTA. GD offers it on the US market). It is already implemented on Stryker and Merkava Mrk.IV (I am sure also on older Merk versions) and GD is working on making them ready for implemention on US systems.
Sensors are placed around the vehicle and when a threat is locked the system fires a countermeasure device into the direction which should destroy the incoming RPG/ATGM.
Future development shall also cover KE threats.

It doesn't look that versatile as other APS in the pipe (Like the mentioned systems by Raytheon or Diehl) because the device just covers one axis and once fired this site is vulnerable. Newer systems work with 360° countermeasure launchers.
But it is ready and available. Development got pushed after the recent events in Lebanon.

f-22fan12

You are right. It will not revolutionize anything yet it will still, I think, be the world's number 1 tank. But again, the L-55 is a great main gun that not more than a few tanks are equipped with. That along with a good fire control system puts it at or near the top in offensive capabilities. The armor is multi layered and designed to defeat multiple threats. This with the active defensive system make the Xk2's defensive capabilities at or near the top. Another cool thing about the tank is its suspension system. It can increase its ground clearence for rough terrain, or lower it for roads. The ability to sit, and kneel is helpful in the sloped terrain of the Korean peninsula. The mobility of the Xk2 is also equal to other modern tanks. A 1,500hp engine is about the most powerful you will get.
Waylander, you know alot about tanks, first could you please tell me what you think the best active defensive system is and which tank it is deployed on and second could you tell me what tank you think is the best right now. (forget about the crews) Thanks alot.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
But again, the L-55 is a great main gun that not more than a few tanks are equipped with. That along with a good fire control system puts it at or near the top in offensive capabilities.
The armor is multi layered and designed to defeat multiple threats. This with the active defensive system make the Xk2's defensive capabilities at or near the top.
The mobility of the Xk2 is also equal to other modern tanks.
A 1,500hp engine is about the most powerful you will get.
You just said it by yourself. Everything very good and for sure in the top league bt nothing very special. Because of that I stated that you just cannot say it will be the ultimate number 1 or unbeatable.

And because of this you just cannot say which tank is number one and normally we don't like such comparisons here.
The modern versions of western tanks (Leopard IIA6EX, M1A2SEP, Leclerc T10, Merkava Mrk.IV, Type 90, Challenger 2E) are all so close together when it comes to performance that it is not that important with which tank you ride into battle. All of them have some advantages and disadvantages.
Also people often enough tend to forget price, operating costs, maintenance, fuel comsumption...

With proper training the outcome of a war doesn't change wether you sit in an Abrams, Leo or Challi 2. :)

The only tanks which are actually equipped with APS are the Ts (Shtora, Arena,...). Trophy just enters service. So they are the best you can get NOW... ;)

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
You are right. It will not revolutionize anything yet it will still, I think, be the world's number 1 tank. But again, the L-55 is a great main gun that not more than a few tanks are equipped with. That along with a good fire control system puts it at or near the top in offensive capabilities. The armor is multi layered and designed to defeat multiple threats. This with the active defensive system make the Xk2's defensive capabilities at or near the top. Another cool thing about the tank is its suspension system. It can increase its ground clearence for rough terrain, or lower it for roads. The ability to sit, and kneel is helpful in the sloped terrain of the Korean peninsula. The mobility of the Xk2 is also equal to other modern tanks. A 1,500hp engine is about the most powerful you will get.
Waylander, you know alot about tanks, first could you please tell me what you think the best active defensive system is and which tank it is deployed on and second could you tell me what tank you think is the best right now. (forget about the crews) Thanks alot.
Waylander hit it properly with his responses, just let me add that they are still testing the counter measures on the XK2 and you will be surprised with who`s system that they are modeling theirs from, I am in total agreement about the adjustable suspension, very good for the terrian over there and this is a feature that they have used since the mid eighties when they came out with the K-1. Japan also has this feature on the Type 90 and Type 74.

Auto loader on XK2 is modeled from the French Leclerc tank which is supposed to be quite fast and reliable also.

performance

Leclerc auto loader fires 12 rounds/min. The XK2 shoots 15/min.

The Leopard, XK2 and Leclerc have a pw ratio of 27hp

m1a2 is lower, 22hp.

DoC_FouALieR

The Autoloader is the same on all version of the Leclerc.
The power ratio of 27 is for the Hyperbar diesel engine onboard french version. The MTU engine onbaord UAE version should be near 26.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The Autoloader is the same on all version of the Leclerc.
The power ratio of 27 is for the Hyperbar diesel engine onboard french version. The MTU engine onbaord UAE version should be near 26.
I thought they were able to get a 2 round increase per minute on the latest model of Leclerc. :confused:

Also if I may ask, is there any truth involving lengthening out the main from 52 calibers to 55.

DoC_FouALieR

AFAIK, there are no change either on the gun length or on the autoloader performance, which is stated as 12 round a minute. The lastest series of Leclerc - the Type 21 - has improved and add-on armor, a new BMS, and improved hunter-killer capability with both gunner and commander having a laser rangefinder and lastest generation IR sights (Sagem IRIS).