South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News

Status
Not open for further replies.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
If you liked the article, his latest book, ''Moonson'' will certainly be of interest to you.
Monsoon is a great book with in depth research but its only flaw is such a major flaw that it undermines the entire research. It only discusses one side of the coin of every country and region. Nonetheless, a good read.

Although the book is basically an advice to U.S. on how to sail in the Indian Ocean in some ways it also highlights that U.S. would only be playing 2nd fiddle in the future with the rise of China & India. My own assessment is that the Indian Ocean would be bipolar theater divided between India and China or undivided with China and India competing. Smaller states occupying strategic locations would be controlling littoral seas as well.

colay

Those Taiwanese missiles are short-range Sidewinder clones and defensive in nature so they really aren't that destabilizing.. more of symbolic posturing than anything to get agitated about.

Rickyrab

I wonder if maybe the Spratleys should be spun off as a new country in order to avoid trouble. The problem with this approach is that the government needs to come from somewhere, the citizens need to come from somewhere, the land claimants presumably need to sign off on it, investment in a military and economic base need to come from somewhere, etc.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
China claiming islands through publications

Angry words over East Asian seas : Nature News

Chinese officals are forcing all publications (inc one that have no relevance to the islands) to include the map.

While the Spratleys are there, Vietnamese islands are also included that have not been in dispute.

I think this may be one of those hotspots to watch for in the future. While Malaysia, Taiwan etc have strong US links, Vietnam doesn't and is somewhat isolated in the region. I think we will see Vietnam working very hard with regional partners, building its own capabilities up etc.

colay

NTB

Taiwan's news agency reported on tuesday that the nation plans to start a solar power project on it's main Spratly claimed island which is the largest one on the entire chain of group of islands and reefs, officials arrived on tuesday aboard a 2,000 ton CGA vessel to attend the grounbreaking ceremony on Taiping island...
Remember, Taiwan is still Han's Imperialis, for the goods of the rest of Asia countries this is not a very good idea. Once claims are set, any countries from SEA will getting permission from China.

That's what China wants, and Vietnam will not tolerate that action and I strongly believe US, EU, Japan, Korea will stand up with SEA.

Nowaday, China already threw its steal fist with a very thick sugar in Africa. Let's see China will bring a better life for African or just coruptions and more killing cause civil wars.

Admin. This isn't useful dialogue. please read the forum rules before responding to any more threads

Last edited by a moderator:

NTB

PN Patrol Ship PS-74 RAMS a Chinese vessel near Reed Bank forcing it to flee, the article says it was an accident but how would China react to this incident...

PS-74 as seen during a naval exercise...
I personaly thanks Philipine has a great action, and I wish Vietnam Navy will have the same "accident" like Philipine does.

I don't know what sick China Gov thinking? China still not sit on the top of the World yet and base on the fact Chinese people still has a perfect gap between rich and poor and Chinese people has to immigrated for all countries to find for them a better life.

Admin. This isn't useful dialogue. please read the forum rules before responding to any more threads

Warning issued

Last edited by a moderator:

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you liked the article, his latest book, ''Moonson'' will certainly be of interest to you.
Thanks, I will certainly look for that book at the nearest bookstore if they happen to have it here, otherwise I might have to order it online...

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Then they have internal problems in Tibet and with the Muslim Chinese in Xinjiang.
1) The internal problems with Tibet and Xinjiang is currently manageable.
2) Tibet and Xinjiang is pretty mild compared to the internal troubles of India and The Philippines.

The PLA also functions mainly as a well-equipped police force throughout China,
1) Really? :D

And they have Taiwan to watch out.
1) Funny you should say that it is the PRC that should watch out for ROC...
2) There really is less tension between PRC and ROC than people imagine.

legoboy

I think the social tensions of China are greatly exaggerated by the media of other countries. Like how everytime I read the paper they are always talking about,

Social Unrest..... Social Unrest...... Social Unrest.... and then boom what do you get ? A whole bunch of riots in WESTERN COUNTRIES.

PCShogun

If not for the potential for oil and gas reserves in the area, I doubt there is anything much involving the island chain that would be worth fighting over. Unfortunately, as oil reserves dwindle and Chinese energy requirements grow, I can see this as a hot spot within the next decade or two if these reserves exist in significant amounts.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
If not for the potential for oil and gas reserves in the area, I doubt there is anything much involving the island chain that would be worth fighting over. Unfortunately, as oil reserves dwindle and Chinese energy requirements grow, I can see this as a hot spot within the next decade or two if these reserves exist in significant amounts.
Even without Oil & Gas Reserve, the area is one of the busiest and increasingly one of the most important commercial artery in the world. Thus it's still strategically important area, gas or oil just add the game.

There're Gas and Oil in the area. Indonesian Natuna's Block that bordered the disputed area already show that contain one of the biggest gas reserve in the region. That's why Natuna island even though does not located in the disputed region, but since it's bordered the disputed area, it's equipped with an airfield that can support F-16 and Flankers.

Status
Not open for further replies.