Singapore Air Force - Why so strong?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Indonesia is investing in inter-island transport capability. It has a lot of it, & has been buying more.
Makasar-class LPDs
Numerous transport ships, mostly ex-civilian
New licence-built C-295 & second hand C-130H transport aircraft, & refurbishment of old C-130s
they've just been gifted another 4 x ex RAAF C130H in the last 24 hrs as well

Gadjah Mada

they've just been gifted another 4 x ex RAAF C130H in the last 24 hrs as well
Thanks to our Australian friend for the refurbished Hercules. Indonesia indeed need inter-island transport capabilities, since our archipelago is prone to natural disaster such as earthquake, tsunami, or volcano and most of the islands have not enough infrastructure in the time of emergency.

In Aceh 2004, it was US navy aircraft carrier and RSN LPD who helped a lot at the earliest time when the disaster struck. I think Australia also helped a lot in Nias earthquake, even some of their military personnel sacrificed their lives in a helicopter accident.

That's why TNI AL LPD required less speed, armament and sensor compared to RSN LPD, but accomodate more helicopters and transported load. Cheaper but not less useful for Humanitarian Aid and Disaster relief (HADR).

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Is this 4 the one's they announced a few months ago or an additional 4?
I'm assuming that they're the legacy of the Nov 11 announcement. It would have taken that long for them to go through refurb, get US State Dept paperwork in order etc....

jack412

the 4 from a few months ago, it was just the ceremony now because of indon/aus meeting in Darwin

edit, too slow to post, it's what GF said

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Is this 4 the one's they announced a few months ago or an additional 4?
I’m going to be very speculative here but Australia has a long history of providing Indonesia with second hand aircraft to promote regional security. Indonesia is the Australian second line of defence (from any external invader). The Sabres, the Nomads, the Hercs. But what about the future?

Would 60 Hornets make a difference to the Indonesian Air Force? Sure there is probably a lot of technology on these aircraft that the USA won’t allow to be re-exported but if it is removed would still leave a very capable aircraft. Then there are the Orions as well.

Anyway something for our Indonesian friends to think about…

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Would 60 Hornets make a difference to the Indonesian Air Force? Sure there is probably a lot of technology on these aircraft that the USA won’t allow to be re-exported but if it is removed would still leave a very capable aircraft. Then there are the Orions as well.

Anyway something for our Indonesian friends to think about…
Since this is a SAF Thread, I should ask this on Indonesian AF Thread, perhaps latter on Mod's willing to move it. Anyway, regarding used Hornet for TNI-AU, considering what US willing to give for the 24 F-16 C/D that will be MLU for TNI-AU, I think what RAAF legacy Hornet has right now more or less will be match with what those F-16 MLU has.

What I'm getting at, what will be benefit more to TNI-AU on getting more F-16 (second hand/MLU) from US or getting second hand ex RAAF Hornet. TNI-AU love F-16 because it's a capable fighter but with much less operating cost compare to 'say' Flankers.

Will Hornet provide more or less similar operating costs to F-16 ? With similar capability but with (this is my guess) cheaper operating costs, I believe F-16 will be more appropriate for TNI-AU rather than F-18.

STURM

Will Hornet provide more or less similar operating costs to F-16 ? With similar capability but with (this is my guess) cheaper operating costs, I believe F-16 will be more appropriate for TNI-AU rather than F-18.
F-16s may be more appropriate because the TNI-AU already has a ground support infrastructure and experience in operating the F-16. Some would have the opinion that given the size of Indonesia, a twin engine fighter like the Hornet would be more ideal.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
In Feb 2017, it was reported that Singapore considers training its fighter pilots in NZ and in May, it was reported that 14 U.S. Air Force F-15 Eagles aircraft from Kadena Air Base, Japan, and 6 Republic of Singapore Air Force F-15SG’s deployed to Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, April 19, 2017, in support of Exercise Vigilant Ace. This is the first time Singapore F-15SGs have trained in Guam, since last year's news reports of Singapore considering Guam as an additional fighter training location.

Last edited:

kiwipatriot69

In Feb 2017, it was reported that Singapore considers training its fighter pilots in NZ and in May, it was reported that 14 U.S. Air Force F-15 Eagles aircraft from Kadena Air Base, Japan, and 6 Republic of Singapore Air Force F-15SG’s deployed to Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, April 19, 2017, in support of Exercise Vigilant Ace. This is the first time Singapore F-15SGs have trained in Guam, since last year's news reports of Singapore considering Guam as an additional fighter training location.
Has there been any decision made from Singapore govt regards to basing some of thier F16 here in Nz? Something I would love to see.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has there been any decision made from Singapore govt regards to basing some of thier F16 here in Nz? Something I would love to see.
Nothing new heard but I understand that we're are keen to expand Air Force training areas beyond just Guam (currently on an exercise by exercise basis) for the F-15SGs (and have US support for that), as our army FOs can call CAS as part of Thunder Warrier, if basing in NZ is allowed.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing new heard but I understand that we're are keen to expand Air Force training areas beyond just Guam (currently on an exercise by exercise basis) for the F-15SGs (and have US support for that), as our army FOs can call CAS as part of Thunder Warrier, if basing in NZ is allowed.
Waiouru Training Area is just 10 minutes flight time away from Ohakea so it does make quite a bit of sense. I hope some form of agreement can be nailed out as it is good for both Defence Forces.