Should the 5.56 be replaced?

Should the 5.56 be replaced?

• Total voters

F-15 Eagle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Replacing the 5.56 is very possible but it may take a few years to do maybe 4 years at the most and cost a few million but it most certainly be done. Logistics is an issues but its not serious and can be dealt with.

Human Bass

The 6.8mm is not an incredible cartridge by any means, it has a somewhat poor BC. But well, its much heavier than the 5.56, so it hits harder. The 6.5 that is really incredible, having an effective range of 1000m, something that even older generations of 7.62mm had a problem achieving.

extern

The 6.5 that is really incredible, having an effective range of 1000m, something that even older generations of 7.62mm had a problem achieving.
The case of 6.5 is too wide, so the number of the rounds is reduced in the magazine. Effective range of 1000 m is only actual with the match level sniper 6.5 Grendel rounds, not with a regular army round anyway. 1000 m range is in no way actual for an army carbine. It's more for the bolt action rifle, but they anyway have now specialized sniper rifle 6.5x284 mm Norma round:

Last edited:

F-15 Eagle

The case of 6.5 is too wide, so the number of the rounds is reduced in the magazine. Effective range of 1000 m is only actual with the match level sniper 6.5 Grendel rounds, not with a regular army round anyway. 1000 m range is in no way actual for an army carbine. It's more for the bolt action rifle, but they anyway have now specialized sniper rifle 6.5x284 mm Norma round:
If the AK-47 can have 30 rounds with 7.62 than I don't see how the 6.5mm can't have 30 round magazines.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
specialized sniper rifle 6.5x284 mm Norma round:
Ermm, that's actually a 6.5mm bullet pressed into a .284 Winchester case, ie a "6.5x55" (with a longer neck than standard 6.5x55 though). And Norma only standardized it, they didn't develop it.

extern

If the AK-47 can have 30 rounds with 7.62 than I don't see how the 6.5mm can't have 30 round magazines.
Coz I know only about 17 and 26 round mags for this caliber. Of course theoretically it could be even 45-rounds mag in whatever dimention.
Ermm, that's actually a 6.5mm bullet pressed into a .284 Winchester case, ie a "6.5x55" (with a longer neck than standard 6.5x55 though). And Norma only standardized it, they didn't develop it.
It could be even hand-made. 6.5-284 is much more potent than Grendel as a sniper round due to its bigger case. Grendel will never compete with it on 800+ yards distance.

Driller

Does anyone know if the HK416 can take a 6.8 or 6.5 bulltet? I know its sorta out of place but it saves me starting a thread.

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Grendel will never compete with it on 800+ yards distance.
Can anyone tell me why a standard assault rifle needs to be capable of effective fire at over 800 yards? Most engagement happen at less than 1/3rd that distance. As a requirement for a sniper weapon, then maybe, but as a direct replacement for the average grunt? Dreaming...

extern

Can anyone tell me why a standard assault rifle needs to be capable of effective fire at over 800 yards? Most engagement happen at less than 1/3rd that distance. As a requirement for a sniper weapon, then maybe, but as a direct replacement for the average grunt? Dreaming...
If so what Grendel's even needed for? All fire designations on the up to 500 yards 5.56 mm achieves as well. Stopping power? It's problem only for 5.56 steel cor bullets. For fragmented or soft point it isnt a problem. If you need an automatic fire on the distance you anyway need the big machinegun shit. Whether Grendel could be better than 7.62x51 for that purpose? I doubts.

Before 15 years in Russia there was a research about turning to universal 6.0x49 mm caliber. despite good results on sniping, they decided to not go to it because overall low effect to cost ratio. This 6.0x49 round has even better ballistic than 6.5 Grendel, 1000+ m\s velocity, but anyway...

F-15 Eagle

Does anyone know if the HK416 can take a 6.8 or 6.5 bulltet? I know its sorta out of place but it saves me starting a thread.
Yes it could be modified to accept the 6.5 or 6.8. In fact any weapon in 5.56 could be modified for 6.5 or 6.8 by just changing the barrel and only the parts that actually touch the round. This can work for the HK416, SCAR, M4, M16, M249 etc...

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
If so what Grendel's even needed for? All fire designations on the up to 500 yards 5.56 mm achieves as well. Stopping power? It's problem only for 5.56 steel cor bullets. For fragmented or soft point it isnt a problem. If you need an automatic fire on the distance you anyway need the big machinegun shit. Whether Grendel could be better than 7.62x51 for that purpose? I doubts.

Before 15 years in Russia there was a research about turning to universal 6.0x49 mm caliber. despite good results on sniping, they decided to not go to it because overall low effect to cost ratio. This 6.0x49 round has even better ballistic than 6.5 Grendel, 1000+ ms velocity, but anyway...
I don't understand the point you are trying to make here. The average range of a small arms firefight iwas (I think) 100m or so with very few engagements (as in accurate exchanges of rifle fire) occuring at distances further than 300m. Those stats were pre Afgahan/Iraq from many years back. If these stats are still valid, why do you need a round for a standard rifleman capable at ranges of more than 800m? Isn't that more the preserve of belt fed MMG's or snipers?

Zulu-TM

reading through the thread there is lots of talk of one shot kills and velocilty and all yes the 5.56 is not the best bullet out there. I have been in the game for years on the sniper side. yes a kill shot does have it thrills and good pioints. the whole point in war is not just to kill the person but you want to tke him and as many of his buddy's out so if you wound i giy his buddy's will not leave him there. which will take about three to four people out of a contact. were if bang you dead your buddy carry's on fighting. also the range of targets you want to ingauge at 300yard it is not that easy to see what a person is doing there for leave it to the spesileasts they trained for it.
thats just my 2cents

Human Bass

The problem is that many times a round that was designed to kill just wounds, and a round that was designed to wound, does it poorly.

Vajt

That's always been an argument for me...studies show that the majority of infantry rifle engagements occur at distances of 250m or less. Why is so much effort being placed on having all of the rifles in an infantry section be capable of hitting upto these longer ranges? Why not have one or two dedicated sharp-shooters for those long range engagements and give the rest lightweight weapons that will get the job done for targets out to 300m?

I remember back in basic training, it was very difficult to hit the 300m targets (and that was in a training environment where you already knew where the target was going to pop-up from). I can only imagine doing this to a camouflaged target, with the stress of the battlefield and not even knowing exactly where the enemy is firing at you from.

-----JT-----

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
That's always been an argument for me...studies show that the majority of infantry rifle engagements occur at distances of 250m or less. Why is so much effort being placed on having all of the rifles in an infantry section be capable of hitting upto these longer ranges? Why not have one or two dedicated sharp-shooters for those long range engagements and give the rest lightweight weapons that will get the job done for targets out to 300m?

I remember back in basic training, it was very difficult to hit the 300m targets (and that was in a training environment where you already knew where the target was going to pop-up from). I can only imagine doing this to a camouflaged target, with the stress of the battlefield and not even knowing exactly where the enemy is firing at you from.

-----JT-----
I agree.

Of course, I trained in a tropical country where it is either heavy foliage or built up areas. For most troops, there would not be much of need to shoot beyond 300m unless the enemy is standing out in the open and waving a red flag.

BTW which country are you from?

I read a book about the Australians 8RAR in Vietnam and their record also showed that they were averaging thousands of rounds for every enemy casualty. Though Aussie numbers were better than the Americans - I can't remember the numbers - but they were still impossibly high.

This shows that carrying more ammo is still more important than carrying bigger calibre (but less) ammo.

It was not even because either the Americans or Aussies were poor shooters.

Firn

Most recruits have a lot a difficulty to shoot at long ranges, especially with iron sights. Optics would of course help a lot as I can attest from personal experience (I shot both with diopter and optical sights). They are also excellent for scanning the area.

In an alpine environment they are all sorts of potential fighting distances, from very long to very close. A squad sharpshooter, perhaps with a dedicated/selected spotter is certainly a very good addition. The machinegunners with good optics and bipod can also engage from long ranges. But for the rest the best choice is a compact and light assault rifle in bullpup configuration. The 5.56 is a good choice for such a rifle.

Vajt

I agree.

Of course, I trained in a tropical country where it is either heavy foliage or built up areas. For most troops, there would not be much of need to shoot beyond 300m unless the enemy is standing out in the open and waving a red flag.

BTW which country are you from?
Hi Chino,

I trained in the US Army some years ago. Obviously it was all using iron sights on the M16, so using an optical sight would have made it easier, but still, besides some specialty shots (which can be handled by sharpshooters or 7.62mm machineguns) most other shots happen much closer.

The smaller weapons in the section could carry more ammo, the machinegunner would have an assistant to distribute the weight/load and the heavier weight of the sharpshooter weapon can be compensated by carrying less ammo (since they would only take single well aimed shots).

The latest issue of "Special Weapons for Military and Police" magazine had a good article discussing the 6.5mm Grendel round vs the 6.8mm. Basically saying that they should not be compared since the 6.8mm round was developed as a lighter round for closer engagements, where as the 6.5mm round was developed as a heavier round for longer range shots.

-----JT-----