Should Pakistan Export Agostas ?

aaaditya

Elite-Pilot said:
DCN launches design work for Pakistan submarine

French naval shipbuilding, combat systems and engineering group DCN is reported to have commenced initial design activity on a new conventional submarine type to be offered to Pakistan in the wake of India's acquisition of six Scorpene submarines from Armaris (a DCN/Thales joint venture) in late 2005.

According to a report in the Paris-based business daily newspaper La Tribune, Pakistan has indicated a requirement for up to five boats. It is understood that the design being developed by DCN, designated Marlin, would draw on much of the technology previously developed for the export-oriented Scorpene programme.

It is understood that the Pakistan Navy, which decommissioned all four of its ageing Hangor-class submarines on 2 January, is now planning to acquire three to five additional modern boats for delivery from 2013-14.

La Tribune reports that German (Howaldtswerke Deutsche-Werft) and Spanish (Navantia) submarine builders have also been asked to submit proposals to meet the requirement.

------------------

good news aint it? these subs will be custom made for the PN!!
you havent posted the full article ,the last paragraph of this article(which you have ommited) clearly mentions that it is a speculative design about which france sought approval from the french govt but the french government rejected the approval,other companies to which pakiatani navy has sent the rfi are hdw(214) and the spain(s80).however even if export licences are cleared these submarines will not be available to pakistani navy by the 2013-2014 timeframe,mainly because both hdw and spain are already booked.

pshamim

Verified Defense Pro
aaaditya said:
you havent posted the full article ,the last paragraph of this article(which you have ommited) clearly mentions that it is a speculative design about which france sought approval from the french govt but the french government rejected the approval,other companies to which pakiatani navy has sent the rfi are hdw(214) and the spain(s80).however even if export licences are cleared these submarines will not be available to pakistani navy by the 2013-2014 timeframe,mainly because both hdw and spain are already booked.
Correct. New submarines are not something that you can order today and get three years letter.

BilalK

Funding is also an issue for Pakistan, more money will need to be saved in order to pay for these new submarines. I assume an order may be signed sometime around 2007-2009?

mysterious

The so-called 'new' sub is still in its conceptual stage. Talking about funding problems and size of the order or when the order would be placed would be quite pre-mature at this point in time.

aaaditya

by the way guys ,i believe that the pn was interested in the australian collins class submarine what are pakistan's chances of acquiring it also will australia respond to a pakistani navy rfi for the collins.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
aaaditya said:
by the way guys ,i believe that the pn was interested in the australian collins class submarine what are pakistan's chances of acquiring it also will australia respond to a pakistani navy rfi for the collins.
No, not the case. I can assure you with absolute conviction that Collins was not offered up for export into Asia Minor - and it will not be offered up for export now.

• It would also not be offered up now to any country as the combat system is being changed over to the same suite as the USN's Virginias. The USN would not permit an export of the suite.
  • It would also not be offered up as the acoustic/signature management technology is restricted.
There are numerous other issues as to why it wouldn't be up for export - but you get the idea.

There have been approaches by a few navies in the past to have export consideration granted but all have been refused.

pshamim

Verified Defense Pro
aaaditya said:
As far as I know, Pakistan was never interested in Collins Class. Must be a rumor.