Should NATO include Australia, Israel, Singapore, Japan & India?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Danes are fighting alongside with the Brits in Helmand, with to companies of Coldstream Guards (iirc) attached to their battlegroup. Upper Gerehsk Valley, Green Zone.

Estonians as well.
OOPs sorry GD, yes they are in the thick of it and doing a good job.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
@Izzy maybe you want to bring a little bit more light onto you comment about some nations not doing their bit.

Maybe I agree with you in some parts but without some further info/opinion of you it is hard to discuss such a statement.

Incognito129

Banned Member
Military insignificant? (I'll ignore Australia as not to appear biased)
The Japanese Navy is Arguably the second most powerful in the pacific, India is the most native fleet in the Indian Ocean. Both have very strong airforces that are comperable to most European countries. Insignificant is a incorrect label if not insulting. However reading your last line are you alluding to a Jewish conspiracy?
Im sure they are strong, they are still insignificant and utterly useless without major support.

Both countries have decent air force, but they are not capable of any form of force projection.

What conspiracy? I never mentioned any conspiracy so dont put words in my mouth.

Incognito129

Banned Member
I do not know about millitary capabilities of Singapore but all other 4 nations are strong millitarily and have state of the art technology(no doubt in that). Already there is emerging a kind of partenership between US, India, Australia, Japan to encircle China strategically as China is increasing its presence in Asia millitarily.
India is a huge factor, no doubt about it. Japan and the Aussies? Australia is a great country dont get me wrong but navy wise they have the Collins(arguably one of the best), but its sure as hell aint winning a war.

I just dont see Japan contributing anything worth while. You only need so many god damn ASW frigates.

swerve

Super Moderator
... Japan and the Aussies? Australia is a great country dont get me wrong but navy wise they have the Collins(arguably one of the best), but its sure as hell aint winning a war.

I just dont see Japan contributing anything worth while. You only need so many god damn ASW frigates.
ASW frigates? Also AAW destroyers, LPDs, underway replenishment ships, submarines (look up how many Japan has - and they're high quality), maritime patrol aircraft, & now they're building helicopter carriers.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Contributing something worthwhile?

I don't see Estonia's 5000-man army contributing anything worthwhile. Or Luxembourg's singular infantry battalion.
Hungary? Latvia? Romania? Does Slovenia even have something worth calling a military?

Get real. That has never been a criteria considered important for membership.

Sea Toby

The problem is that when the US signed treaties after WWII at the same time as NATO the Asian nations signed individual treaties instead of a group treaty. Because of different European nations influence in Asia, no group treaty was possible.

To this day Singapore is a separate entity than Japan, and South Korea is a separate entity too. Taiwan is more a Chinese entity than a fellowship with Japan or Singapore. India is as separate from China as Pakistan.

Incognito129

Banned Member
ASW frigates? Also AAW destroyers, LPDs, underway replenishment ships, submarines (look up how many Japan has - and they're high quality), maritime patrol aircraft, & now they're building helicopter carriers.
Their helicopter carriers are dedicated to ASW. Their Oyashio's are arguably better than Collins except it wont matter much.

Japan has no offensive capabilities and I'd love to hear some more of this so called amazing offensive force they have.

I don't see Estonia's 5000-man army contributing anything worthwhile. Or Luxembourg's singular infantry battalion.
Hungary? Latvia? Romania? Does Slovenia even have something worth calling a military?
Last time I checked Estonia had a shore to the Atlantic ocean. I dont remember any of the mentioned countries being anywhere near the atlantic. Yes geographical location does come in handy and may bear into strategic military relationships.

When it comes down to it. Who can those countries invade? Nobody. Dont kid yourself.

mic of orion

Ozz by all means, New Zealand, Japan and South Korea as well. Singapore, perhaps, they are not well known for having true democracy there.

Israel, India, come on, NEVER!!!... Simply put, we do not need their security issues and fears. US wants them perhaps they should form alliance with them, they are welcomed to it, but I am sure it won't happened.

BTW Rudy the twat Giuliani , says a lot of crapy things, he is imbecile when it comes to foreign policy or anything else for that matter, I wouldn't listen to what he has to say. Someone said forgot who, Rudy Giuliani,there's only three things he mentions in a sentence, a noun, a verb and 9/11.

Sea Toby

As far as NATO and the Atlantic Ocean is concerned, much alike Estonia neither do Turkey. Greece, Italy, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany. NATO would be left with only the United Kingdom, Norway, France, Portugal, and Spain from Europe.

tomahawk6

The nations of the old Warsaw Pact are more interested in NATO for obvious reasons compared to the countries of western Europe.For my money keep our bases in in Europe and shut down NATO,let the EU defend thier corner of the world if they can.

mic of orion

The nations of the old Warsaw Pact are more interested in NATO for obvious reasons compared to the countries of western Europe.For my money keep our bases in in Europe and shut down NATO,let the EU defend thier corner of the world if they can.
let me get that straight, you want US to pull out of NATO, but keep its bases In Europe. :eek:nfloorl: :eek:nfloorl: :eek:nfloorl:

How about US pulls out of Europe altogether, it won't make a one bit difference to us in EU. True, most will need to increase there defense budgets a bit, Germany comes to mind, well across the board. But this would prompt EU to form its own military. Strong military force, perhaps something like a EU Army, Air Force and Navy.

This would mean, extra 100-120 billion euros per year on defense, but would ensure EU has perhaps most powerful military after that of US, with about 2 million men under arms, 1 million in EU army, 300 000 in Air force, 250 000 in Navy and 50 000 Marines, + 400 000 in C3 ,HQ and Logistics, and overall annual budget of about 2% of EU GDP (about 360 billion U$).

More than enough to finance any future defense needs of European Union.

Don't forget EU will still have Nuclear deterrent in form of 8 SSNB and tactical nukes.

swerve

Super Moderator
Obviously, you don't realise that the US bases in Europe are almost all in countries which are members of both NATO & the EU, as are 98% of the US troops in Europe (narrow definition). The other 2% are mostly in Kosovo, which doesn't exactly have any strategic advantages. :D Include the Asian part of Turkey within Europe & the EU share drops to maybe 95%.

Do you really think that you'd be allowed to keep those bases if you said "we're withdrawing from NATO & won't help defend you"?

BTW, personally, I wouldn't mind at all. It might push our politicians into making sure our armed forces are properly equipped.

Oh yes - you also don't seem to know that except for the former USSR (but including three former Soviet republics), "The nations of the old Warsaw Pact" are now all EU members.

swerve

Super Moderator
As far as NATO and the Atlantic Ocean is concerned, much alike Estonia neither do Turkey. Greece, Italy, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany. NATO would be left with only the United Kingdom, Norway, France, Portugal, and Spain from Europe.
And Iceland.